Clint Renfro

SilverEagle

Interesting article about Clint Renfro.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/13741875.htm

I have to wonder if we were ever interested in him, or if we thought he was too unattainable and didn't even try.

Here are some ideas that I would have tried with him.

I would have invited him to the new athletic center and showed him his grandfathers jersey that had been retired (our first as I recall), and told him that we would unretire the number for him.

Since he is interested in track, I would have made sure that he got to talk with Johnny Quinn and Jamario about their dual-participation in track/football.

I would have talked to him about how his grandfather helped North Texas move up into the (for it's time) the D-1 level, and how he could help North Texas regularly get into the top 25 D-1 level......or higher.

I'm surprised that we rarely land any talent from Southlake. I work with one of their wide receivers...Corbin Smiter...6'2", 205, 4.45...who just committed to Rice. huh.gif

A few other Carroll players committed there, but I guess with their new coach Rice is finally ditching that crazy option to run a spread offense very similar to what some of these players ran in high school.

I don't know how hard we went after Renfro though.

I ain't real smart, but is Clint Renfro a defensive lineman? Is he an offensive lineman? Does he have a lean ahtletic frame that will probably fill out to 290 pounds?

I know you always try to recruit the best players avalible; but I suspect that the coaching staff's time was a little more focused on lineman.

Interesting article about Clint Renfro.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/13741875.htm

I have to wonder if we were ever interested in him, or if we thought he was too unattainable and didn't even try.

Here are some ideas that I would have tried with him.

I would have invited him to the new athletic center and showed him his grandfathers jersey that had been retired (our first as I recall), and told him that we would unretire the number for him.

Since he is interested in track, I would have made sure that he got to talk with Johnny Quinn and Jamario about their dual-participation in track/football.

I would have talked to him about how his grandfather helped North Texas move up into the (for it's time) the D-1 level, and how he could help North Texas regularly get into the top 25 D-1 level......or higher.

Sadly, not all on the coaching staff think you you do Silvereagle. Your ideas are excellent and should have been tried.

It was pretty much a given that he was going to TCU from the start.

It was pretty much a given that Greg McElroy (the Southlake QB) was going to Tech. Now, I believe that he's going to Alabama.

We at least had some sort of connection to Renfro to work with.

This article also gives me some ideas. Since the article indicated that Ray Renfro's genes skipped a generation, maybe we should do some reasearch about the grandchildren of some of our other former stars.

Does Joe Greene have grandkids? How about Abner Haynes? Steve Ramsey? Cedric Hardeman?.........

Edited by SilverEagle

While reading this article I was wondering if it would ever mention that Ray went to NT, and it finally did towards the end.

I spoke with Clint and Mike last month and Clint told me it was a toss up between Tech, Stanford and TCU, in that order. He was leaning towards Tech becuase of their system but said that he was at a crossroads and would have to decide soon?

I notice that they list him at 6 foot tall and 160 lbs. If he's 6 foot tall, I'm 6'2''. He's a very little fella with tiny wrists and ankles. First thing I thought of when I met him was how frail he will look when he steps on a college field. If it were my guess I would list his size at 5'8'', maybe 5'9'' and about 150lbs or less. Very nice kid and I hope all the best for him.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Guest GrayEagleOne

While reading this article I was wondering if it would ever mention that Ray went to NT, and it finally did towards the end.

I spoke with Clint and Mike last month and Clint told me it was a toss up between Tech, Stanford and TCU, in that order.  He was leaning towards Tech becuase of their system but said that he was at a crossroads and would have to decide soon?

I notice that they list him at 6 foot tall and 160 lbs.  If he's 6 foot tall, I'm 6'2''.  He's a very little fella with tiny wrists and ankles.  First thing I thought of when I met him was how frail he will look when he steps on a college field.  If it were my guess I would list his size at 5'8'', maybe 5'9'' and about 150lbs or less.  Very nice kid and I hope all the best for him. 

Rick

I would certainly agree that Clint Renfro is on the smallish side but he is at the one position where I believe that size is not a detriment.

He reminds me a lot of a couple of NT receivers from different eras....Marvin

Walker and Marcus Camper. Both were about 5-10 and 165 but with good speed and hands.

None were as fast as Clint's grandfather who was about a tenth of a second off of the world record in the 100 yard dash at that time.

But, to comment on Silver's question, I'd wager that we didn't even contact him, let alone make any concessions regarding his grandfather. Of course, Ray was still alive when his son Mike accepted the offer from TCU, probably without trying to sell him on North Texas. Besides that, Ray had two brothers, Dean and John who also played at North Texas.

As to other legacies, you'll recall that Joe Greene's sons, DeLon and Major both played at North Texas about 15 years ago but I don't know If either has any sons with football ability. I believe that Steve Ramsey only had daughters. I'm not even sure of the marital status of Cedric Hardman.

I would certainly agree that Clint Renfro is on the smallish side but he is at the one position where I believe that size is not a detriment. 

He reminds me a lot of a couple of NT receivers from different eras....Marvin

Walker and Marcus Camper.  Both were about 5-10 and 165 but with good speed and hands. 

None were as fast as Clint's grandfather who was about a tenth of a second off of the world record in the 100 yard dash at that time.

But, to comment on Silver's question, I'd wager that we didn't even contact him, let alone make any concessions regarding his grandfather.  Of course, Ray was still alive when his son Mike accepted the offer from TCU, probably without trying to sell him on North Texas.  Besides that, Ray had two brothers, Dean and John who also played at North Texas.

As to other legacies, you'll recall that Joe Greene's sons, DeLon and Major both played at North Texas about 15 years ago but I don't know If either has any sons with football ability.  I believe that Steve Ramsey only had daughters.  I'm not even sure of the marital status of Cedric Hardman.

I had never heard that Joe Greene's boys played football at NT. I remember seeing one of the boys in an Alumni magazine but I would like to hear more about their playing time.

Edited by Danish42

Major Greene was in my class at UNT and was a defensive lineman from Duncanville where my wife went to high school. He was a great guy and good athlete although a little undersized for his position. Very good student and popular with the ladies!~

Personally, Renfro didn't pass my Jonas Test. The test goes like this: If Jonas Buckles tackled player X after making a catch; how many parts of player would there be afterward? If the likelyhood is high that player X will end up in multiple pieces after facing a tackle by Mr Buckles; then he is probably not big enough to play WR.

I suspect that Mr Renfro wouldn't pass this test.

Note: The Conservation of Matter and the Conservation of Energy both apply to the Buckles Test.

Edited by good_ken

• 6 months later...

I had class with Major as well.  He is a great guy and it was no surprise that he was voted Homecoming King in 1989?  Delon played from 89 to '91? seems like but did not start.  I saw Major at Homecoming two years ago but not since then. Niether Major nor Delon got Joe's size.

Rick

Delon played from 90-93 maybe.

We should never ASSUME a player has no interest. At least send a letter to each of the top 100 in the area and state. Lots of factors fo into their decisions - close to home, faar from home, where girlfriends go to school. majors, type of offense /defense, coaches, etc.

I can not help but wonder how many we lost if no one ever asked. Reminds me of the story about the guy who set outside the UB and ask all of the girls that went by. He got slapped a lot but also got a lot.

I ain't real smart, but is Clint Renfro a defensive lineman? Is he an offensive lineman? Does he have a lean ahtletic frame that will probably fill out to 290 pounds?

I know you always try to recruit the best players avalible; but I suspect that the coaching staff's time was a little more focused on lineman.

He is a very quick WR.....not surprised he didn't go to NT.

Guest GrayEagleOne

It was pretty much a given that Greg McElroy (the Southlake QB) was going to Tech. Now, I believe that he's going to Alabama.

We at least had some sort of connection to Renfro to work with.

This article also gives me some ideas. Since the article indicated that Ray Renfro's genes skipped a generation, maybe we should do some reasearch about the grandchildren of some of our other former stars.

Does Joe Greene have grandkids? How about Abner Haynes? Steve Ramsey? Cedric Hardeman?.........

If we could have gotten in the SWC I feel that Mike (Ray's son) would've played for North Texas. Mike also had two uncles, Dean and John, who played for North Texas.

As to some of the others. Both of Joe's sons played for North Texas in the late 80s and early 90s. Ithink that each has at least one son who should be in or near high school by now. I don't think that the others that you mentioned had any athletic sons. Ramsey had a daughter and I've never heard of any kids for Abner or Cedric.

But, I like your thinking. Legacies are a great way to perpetuate talent.

If we could have gotten in the SWC I feel that Mike (Ray's son) would've played for North Texas.  Mike also had two uncles, Dean and John, who played for North Texas.

As to some of the others.  Both of Joe's sons played for North Texas in the late 80s and early 90s.  Ithink that each has at least one son who should be in or near high school by now.  I don't think that the others that you mentioned had any athletic sons.  Ramsey had a daughter and I've never heard of any kids for Abner or Cedric. 

But, I like your thinking.  Legacies are a great way to perpetuate talent.

Jack, I seem to remember two of Abner Haynes sons who tried to walk-on at North Texas when Corky Nelson was coaching. I think it was during the time when Abner was volunteering his services to the athletic dept either as an adviser or a recruiter.....I'm not sure which one.

One played linebacker and the other was a running back. They walked on in the spring (I can't remember which spring), but I don't think that either of them made the team.... for whatever reason. I seem to recall that both of them showed some flashes of talent during spring ball. That was the last that I saw of them though.

Guest GrayEagleOne

We do have a current player who is the grandson of one of our former All-Americans, who just hapened to be the room mate of Ray Renfro.

You've got me there. I don't recall anyone who was that close to Little All-America status. Ken Bahnsen, Royce Womble, Loyd Lowe and Quincy Armstrong all had a cup of coffee at the NFL level and played with Ray. I can't recall who that might be.