Reflection - Denver game

Rock

I admit that it has been a while since I made a game as I dont live in Dallas. But while on business this week I made it an important part of my schedule. Some thouhts and reflection to share:

* crowd. back in the early 90's we had smaller crowds, no doubt. They made noise but only had fewer voices/butts in the seats. Last night was a good crowd. Even though it was cold out (windy) people came and brought their kids and they were wearing green which was really nice to see. The difference was that at a few important times in the game the crowd started to chant "North -- Texas" and "Defense" which definitely got everyone into the game -- and it got louder -- and their team heard it -- and it really seemed to give us an advantage. Seriously. It really made a difference and those that helped get it going should be thanked.

* dunks. yeah, dunks. I remember saying, "lets see if we can get a dunk tonight". We would only see a couple a game and it was a big deal. Last night kids were dunking randomly and the level of play seemed to be a touch more exciting for the common viewer. People in the crowd seemed to notice the times when playes made mistakes and made note of them where as in the past it was part of the game. The audience has come to expect a higher level of play. That in itself says a lot.

* Denver was well coached. The team moved the ball and found the open man or created space for a shot better than NT did - especially in the first half. Yet, in the second half it was NT that had the players that seemed to step up and say "this is our game" and Make it happen. The effort increased and the points resulted. With the depth we now have, if we can use the motivation for both halfs - all minutes, we will go far. I have no doubt here. Coach Jones was yelling and into the game - something I missed during what I saw last year when watching some of the football practices and games. I really liked his involvement - especially during a couple of calls that were -- well crappy calls. Surprised he didnt get a technical at one point.

Bottom line, it was a great time. Students should really spread the word and notice what is happening in their own back yard. I have been to other schools and the facilities are great. The game was great (0f course we won) and the experience was one that every student should see.

This is a better conference with better players (in general - no offense) and the experience is worth the trip ... its that simple.

Cant wait to come back to see another.

Always a Mean Green fan -- regardless of the record.

Coach Jones was yelling and into the game - something I missed during what I saw last year when watching some of the football practices and games.  I really liked his involvement - especially during a couple of calls that were -- well crappy calls.  Surprised he didnt get a technical at one point.

You should have seen the ULaLa game. Refs made a terrible call, and Johnny yells during a lull, "That's BULL SH!T (insert Ref's name here)!" Really got the crowd into the game, and he was right - the call was.... well, you know.

When JJ gets as animated as he was last night you know you are at a badly officiated game, and indeed it was. Only 3 fouls called on Denver in the first half, and with so much banging and contact going on that was hard to believe. Then the refs could call a ticky tack foul after letting the two teams basically man handle each other.

Anyways, good post Rock. Last night was a huge win, not just as we try to win conference but as a way to create a buzz about this team. There was an exceptional showing by the students, and after seeing us win an exciting game like that I have to believe that many will come back and tell their friends.