North Texas Recruiting Class

mad dog

Guest GrayEagleOne

What in the hell is ESPN doing? An why would we post such dirivel?

I'm not an insider (and from the look of things will never be) but it appears that the score is based on the average rating of those committed. Then you look at it again and it that can't be it either.

First of all, they do credit us with a commitment from the #18 kicker in the country, which has never been made public. Even if that were so, they didn't include him with the COMMITS, which total four. Then, when you go to the committment list only the kicker is named.

Some of those tied with us do not have the same average score. For example, New Mexico State lists something like eight commitments with some above 6.0 and some at 1.0. They do not show our juco commits.

There is absolutely no way that we could be in the Top 25 in the nation on any basis. Rivals ranks us #105 and I don't believe that Emfinger has put out team rankings yet. This is ludicrous on ESPN's part and I think that they embarass themselves by doing this.

What in the hell is ESPN doing?  An why would we post such dirivel?

I'm not an insider (and from the look of things will never be) but it appears that the score is based on the average rating of those committed.  Then you look at it again and it that can't be it either. 

First of all, they do credit us with a commitment from the #18 kicker in the country, which has never been made public.  Even if that were so, they didn't include him with the COMMITS, which total four.  Then, when you go to the committment list only the kicker is named. 

Some of those tied with us do not have the same average score.  For example, New Mexico State lists something like eight commitments with some above 6.0 and some at 1.0.  They do not show our juco commits.

There is absolutely no way that we could be in the Top 25 in the nation on any basis.  Rivals ranks us #105 and I don't believe that Emfinger has put out team rankings yet.  This is ludicrous on ESPN's part and I think that they embarass themselves by doing this.

That kicker isn't a commit yet since it says interesting prospect. Cool though that the guy is from the high school that I graduated from in Houston(Cy Creek). I've wondered the last few years why North Texas doesn't have one guy on their roster or at least in the last few years that is from the Cy Fair school district. There is talent there, granted I don't know if NT has tried recruiting this area or not in the past.

But it does seem odd that ESPN.com has this class so high, but yet as you said Rivals and Scout have this class pretty low.

Heres a few of the teams who also were on the list:

19. Texas Womens University

17. Texas school for the deaf and blind

16. The University of Pheonix online

yea right, we're 20th in the nation in recruiting  laugh.gif  mad.gif

From what I have heard The University of Pheonix Online is going to have a monster of a team this year. ohmy.gif

Guest GrayEagleOne

That kicker isn't a commit yet since it says interesting prospect. Cool though that the guy is from the high school that I graduated from in Houston(Cy Creek). I've wondered the last few years why North Texas doesn't have one guy on their roster or at least in the last few years that is from the Cy Fair school district. There is talent there, granted I don't know if NT has tried recruiting this area or not in the past.

But it does seem odd that ESPN.com has this class so high, but yet as you said Rivals and Scout have this class pretty low.

I've often wondered about the lack of players from the Cy-Fair ISD myself. The last one that I can really remember was 25 years or so ago. We had a big lineman named Zene Renfro from Cypress-Fairbanks who was tremendously underrated. One of his claims to fame was that he was a starter for three different head coaches at North Texas; maybe, the only player to hold that distinction.

What in the hell is ESPN doing?  An why would we post such dirivel?

I'm not an insider (and from the look of things will never be) but it appears that the score is based on the average rating of those committed.  Then you look at it again and it that can't be it either. 

First of all, they do credit us with a commitment from the #18 kicker in the country, which has never been made public.  Even if that were so, they didn't include him with the COMMITS, which total four.  Then, when you go to the committment list only the kicker is named. 

Some of those tied with us do not have the same average score.  For example, New Mexico State lists something like eight commitments with some above 6.0 and some at 1.0.   They do not show our juco commits.

There is absolutely no way that we could be in the Top 25 in the nation on any basis.  Rivals ranks us #105 and I don't believe that Emfinger has put out team rankings yet.  This is ludicrous on ESPN's part and I think that they embarass themselves by doing this.

So do we now need to inform the Dallas Morning News, Fort Worth Star Telegram and Houston Chronicle that we really don't need to have even one player listed on all their "AREA" lists (which is about what we have) to make ESPN's Top 20?!?!?!?! LOL! (Sorry, but ESPN has come up with something that smells just a tad fishy here).

AND........ are the same people who put this ESPN recruiting rankings/polls together the same group who put together Chancelor Lee Jackson's "non-skewed" alumnus opinion poll that seemed to put the subject of NT varsity athletics on the back-burner? You all will remember that from LJ's office which probably about 1,000 from GoMeanGreen.com (alone) sent back to his staff with each of us most likely posting the equivalence of a master thesis on the subject of the importance of athletics as the picture window to our university? So one might then surmise that polls can sorta' say what you need a poll to say--you might say?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Guest UNTMike81*

So do we now need to inform the Dallas Morning News, Fort Worth Star Telegram and Houston Chronicle that we really don't need to have even one player listed  on all their "AREA"  lists (which is about what we have) to make ESPN's Top 20?!?!?!?!    LOL!  (Sorry, but ESPN has come up with something that smells just a tad fishy here).

AND........ are the  same people who put this ESPN recruiting rankings/polls together the same group who put together Chancelor Lee Jackson's  "non-skewed" alumnus opinion poll that seemed to put the subject of NT varsity athletics on the back-burner?  You all will remember that from LJ's office which probably about 1,000 from GoMeanGreen.com (alone) sent back to his staff with each of us most likely posting the equivalence of a master thesis on the subject of the importance of athletics as the picture window to our university?  So one might then surmise that polls can sorta' say what you need a poll to say--you might say?

Well, for one I'll take the ranking and the Pub., even if our final ranking falls somewhat. After all the attention paid to what posters think our AD department isn't doing right this kind of ranking is what we all want and need here.

Maybe we have someone who came out of our Jouralism school that's trying to do what he can to help all of us and UNT. No matter what the source just let it put a SMILE on your face. This is what we need Good National Exposure. I'm sure recruites, their families and friends look at all this.

Many on this board complain about why we can't compete with the bigXII in recruiting or bash DD and Staff for not making a hard run at top recruites this is one thing at the staff can point to that will allow us to stay in the game longer and possible pull off some big wins. Which I hope would put big smiles on everyones face. WE NEED THE GOOD PRESS. Believe it or not our AD programs are getting much better all the way around. I'm sure that all of UNT's coaches work long and hard hours to advance all the programs that all of us are interested in. I'm sure not many of them spend a lot of time at the country club. If you read this board a lot you might think other wise though.

GO MEAM GREEN!!!

Well, for one I'll take the ranking and the Pub., even if our final ranking falls somewhat. After all the attention paid to what posters think our AD department isn't doing right this kind  of ranking is what we all want and need here.

Maybe we have someone who came out of our Jouralism school that's trying to do what he can to help all of us and UNT. No matter what the source just let it put a SMILE on your face. This is what we need Good National Exposure. I'm sure recruites, their families and friends look at all this.

Many on this board complain about why we can't compete with the bigXII in recruiting or bash DD and Staff for not making a hard run at top recruites this is one thing at the staff can point to that will allow us to stay in the game longer and possible pull off some big wins. Which I hope would put big smiles on everyones face. WE NEED THE GOOD PRESS. Believe it or not our AD programs are getting much better all the way around. I'm sure that all of UNT's coaches work long and hard hours to advance all the programs that all of us are interested in. I'm sure not many of them spend a lot of time at the country club. If you read this board a lot you might think other wise though.

GO MEAM GREEN!!!

I think we'd all take the ranking and the Pub, but it would have been more legitimate if it had come from a national recruiting services that spends the entire year ranking HS kids across Texas and the USA.

We buy into way too much fluff at UNT and I have been as guilty as the next alum, but our losing to the OOC schools we lost to last season sorta' tipped the scale and hinted to many of us that its not the Big 12 we need to be worried about recruiting against, but rather the Tulsa's, the La Tech's, and get ready for SMU this next Fall (who beat the #11 ranked TCU Horned Frogs last Fall). Seems the Mustangs and the Mean Green have begun to switch roles here in the Metroplex.

If this program (under present leadership) were realistically aimed toward gaining Top 25 rankings (and had recruited as such) then many of us who have sorta' used the last 8 years as what we think to be a pretty fair barometer of what we can expect the next few years would have no problem with current leadership, but I don't see much difference in this recruiting class than the last 3 or 4 and it was those classes (along with DD's coaching style--yall remember Dickey Ball, right, or do we seem to forget about all that this time every year?); anyway, it was the last 3 or 4 years of recruiting that gave us the worst home loss in our school's history which would weeks later be topped with key losses to La Tech and a new SBC school just out of 1-AA, ie, Florida Atlantic U. (BTW, I think we have some pretty damn good talent already on our football team, but we seem to be lacking in volume of such talent).

So I think most NT alums/Mean Green fans don't worry about recruiting against the Big 12 at all, UNTMike81*, but rather the schools we have to beat on the recruiting trails to get the talent so that we can beat the 4'th ranked CUSA school in future bowl games. And (once again) after 4 years in a row of bowl games for NT under present leadership, we were still (in any of those 4 years) nowhere close to smelling a Top 25 ranking such as the MAC's top football schools seem to have no problem attaining every year.

Its just that we seem stuck at the same ol' level that the last 8 years at UNT suggests that we are not ever going to get out of. I know many of us wish we could say (or even hope) other-wise, but most of what we've seen of late (8 years?) will probably keep many from changing their minds on this particular subject.

I don't think it would be asking so much that we of UNT should expect any less in Denton than what Mike Price is presently delivering at UTEP (and in a much shorter amount of time to boot than what we're getting). After all, this is the micro-wave era we live, so 5 or 10 year plans to get your football program "Top 25 worthy" would be something that few school's leadership in today's NCAA D1-A would tolerate. Only wish it were that way at one particular Sun Belt Conference school located in the northern part of the Lone Star State.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

REVISED FOR YOUR 2'ND CUP OF SUNDAY AM COFFEE:

Being in the Top 19, buff64, is something that we won't have to worry about 'round these parts until UNT gets a whole new group of "higher thinking/higher recruiting" coaches I'm afraid, but this alum was damn proud when as a UNT student I woke up one morning to read in the Dallas Morning News sport pages that the Mean Green had been ranked in the Top 20.

We have regressed each decade and I don't understand why so many seem to have accepted all this as our place among all others in NCAA D1-A. Yet I don't think beating the "sisters of the poor" for post season rewards has hardly caught the attention of the following:

(1) ...the local, regional or national media;

(2) ...NT fans, especially the "would be" casual or borderliners; after all, we still have 15K (+/-) per home game averages after 4 bowl games for crissakes'---so what's wrong with that picture----duh?);

(3) ...area newspaper's local top 50, local 100 lists or state-wide Texas HS blue chippers; we say we recruit for need, but our need is to recruit to get out of the bottom quadrant of NCAA D1-A.

(4) ...and for damn sure the Top 25 pollsters. We are total strangers to that group of voters and even during (or after) our 4 bowl appearances they still don't know who we are, least of all will cast significant votes our way like they have no problem doing for the MAC's top football school.

SEARCHING QUESTIONS: It's just that many of us think we can do better (but we have to have better) to do better. In fact, might it take a program like NORTH TEXAS to catapult to Top 25 rankings with our football program in order for us to impress our own T. Boone Pickens-types, ie, the infamous............."Big Donor." Would you give Big Monies to a program operating at our present level that I think too many (even on this board) seem most content? I mean how many of you think DD will have really pulled it off if he only gets us back to the top of the SBC? Have you checked lately where the SBC is ranked in football? Do any of you think our former 1-AA football league, ie, the Southland Conference and its football champion could give our SBC champion a good game most any year, even beating our top team at times? Could any SBC school have beatin Jerry Moores' Appalachian State last Fall? I don't think so. And after all, didn't NT lose to 1-AA programs (now in the SBC) during most of our bowl years?

GIVE ME MONEY, THAT'S-A WHAT I WANT: Not sure how such high rollers as the T. Boone Pickens-types think, but can we really expect any one of them to give their multi-millions to NT for a new football stadium after they do their own research as to where we have been ranked recently among all other schools in NCAA D1-A (and even after bowl games)? Would you? (Probably not a fair question as I think most on this forum most "admirably" would, but most out there our fundraisers are talking to are not into all this Mean Green business as we all are, no matter to what degree).

It is really my hope that I am wrong about many things I post about with our present situation concerning Mean Green football, but my gut feeling after observing much on this football program (and the kind of personnel that succeeds or doesn't succeed in Denton) for 30 plus years tells me I won't be. Success is defined with most of us with the Fouts Field turnstile count each year and we haven't seen our averages go up at all even during bowl years (other than meeting the NCAA minimum standard).

I know many others on GMG.com (and well beyond) who have these same feelings that being around this for a few decades has given them, too. Still, I hope we are all 100% wrong about most of this and that someone proves us all to be wrong in a very big way (and does it very soon), because if that happens, it is our alma mater who will be the winner in every bit of this (and after all, isn't this all about our alma mater than any one person, any individual or group in the NT athletic department or a significant group of concerned NT Exes who merely want to see UNT operating its varsity football program in a higher profile NCAA D1-A co-existance)?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

• 2 weeks later...

106 North Texas

NCAA Schools - North Texas

Conference: Sun Belt

Nickname: Eagles

Year Founded: 1890

Last Updated: 1/26/2006 Data provided by Scouts, Inc.

Player Commitments - North Texas

NAME POS HT WT HOMETOWN RANK GRADE STATUS NCAA SCHOOL

Brian Carlson DE 6'5" 255 Kilgore, TX JC 6.0 Signed North Texas

Roy Loren S 6'2" 205 Coffeyville, KS JC 6.0 Signed North Texas

Trent Stanley OG 6'2" 290 Coffeyville, KS JC 6.0 Signed North Texas

Woody Wilson QB 6'1" 185 Coffeyville, KS JC 6.0 Signed North Texas

Avery Curry RB 5'10" 225 Galveston, TX 3.0 Verbal North Texas

Kelvin Drake DT 6'2" 285 Galveston, TX 3.0 Verbal North Texas

Matt Menard DE 6'5" 275 Spring, TX 3.0 Verbal North Texas

Chris Neal CB 5'8" 165 Kaufman, TX 3.0 Verbal North Texas

Craig Robertson ILB 6'0" 210 Stafford, TX 3.0 Verbal North Texas

Esteban Santiago OG 6'3" 280 El Paso, TX 3.0 Verbal North Texas

Bryant Seidle TE 6'2" 230 Cypress, TX 3.0 Verbal North Texas

Marquis Sykes DE 6'3" 255 Coppell, TX 3.0 Verbal North Texas

Players Considering - North Texas

NAME POS HT WT HOMETOWN RANK GRADE STATUS NCAA SCHOOL

Jeff Turner K 5'10" 175 Houston, TX K #18 6.0 Undeclared View Schools

However, I still find it a little hard to believe the FAU has the #12 ranked national recruiting class.

Why is FAU #12? Because they have one recruit who has a Scout's Grade of 6.4. ESPN merely ranks teams by the average score of their recruits who have committed. One recruit rated 6.4 gets you 12th place right now. Princeton is currently 18th with one recuit (6.1) ... William&Mary is 20th with one recuit (6.0) ... New Hampshire is 32nd with one recuit (5.8).

UNT has four 6.0 recruits (the four JC players) and the other eight are 3.0. Current average is 4.0. If UNT was 20th at some point today it was probably not updated. It may have only had our JC recruits which would put us at 6.0 and pretty high. Final ratings won't mean much until all the recruits sign. Of course, grading a class on signing day doesn't mean much, either.

For what it's worth, UNT (12) does currently have more total recruits than any other Sun Belt team other than Troy (who has 18)

Edited by NorthTexan95

We have a commit from Cypress Fair, just hope he stays with us and signs.