History of North Texas Players

GMoney

On 1/6/2006 at 2:51 PM, Guest GrayEagleOne said:

Hayden's best pro player was J.T. Smith, who I thought was drafted by Washington in 1978, but maybe he signed as a free agent. Anyway, he was traded to Kansas City that same year and after about six years with the Chiefs was traded to the Cardinals where he really came into his own with a couple of 1,000 yard receiving seasons.

If Rod Rust could have recruited, we'd have never had Hayden Fry. Rod was 22-6-1 with mostly Odus Mitchell recruits and 7-26 with mostly his own.

Really, might want to check on Rust's recruits.  I have seen this stated many times on this forum and have never understood it.  Blakeley's success in basketball for instance was nearly all based on inherited players, yet it is seldom mentioned.

Mitchell recruiting to his credit was great due to lack of competition at that time for Afro-American athletes.   What happened to Rust was substantially increased competition for these athletes and substantial budget decreases.  Rust also lost nearly an entire class due to a rule change for juco players.  

It still remains amazing to me that Rust who coached the best teams ever at NT is seldom given any credit.

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

It still remains amazing to me that Rust who coached the best teams ever at NT is seldom given any credit.

How do you classify "best teams ever?"

Edited by UNTLifer

22 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Really, might want to check on Rust's recruits.  I have seen this stated many times on this forum and have never understood it.  Blakeley's success in basketball for instance was nearly all based on inherited players, yet it is seldom mentioned.

Mitchell recruiting to his credit was great due to lack of competition at that time for Afro-American athletes.   What happened to Rust was substantially increased competition for these athletes and substantial budget decreases.  Rust also lost nearly an entire class due to a rule change for juco players.  

Yes, that's a tough one. He also coached one of the worse teams at North Texas... I seem to recall 50 point losses at home to both Drake and Louisville during the 1-10 1972 season. On the other hand, Rust was the only North Texas head coach to also become a NFL head coach, albeit briefly.

5 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

How about the best I've seen.  What NT teams due you think should even be close?  

Just reviewed the W-L records from the Rust era. In 1968 ( a bit before my time at NTSU), I see we went 8-2. One of those losses was to Arkansas but just two points. Arkansas went 10-1 that year and ended their season ranked 6th nationally.  Very impressive!

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

How about the best I've seen.  What NT teams due you think should even be close?  

I was just curious.  I know he won in 67 and 68, but then everything fell apart.  I was unaware of the JUCO issue you mentioned above.  He was a nice man, but I was never overly impressed with him as a head coach, then again, I was unaware of changes that could have affected his teams.

6 minutes ago, GreenGonzo said:

Was Burkley Harkless drafted?  He played for UNT in the mid-60s.

Wow sounds like he was a very good player;

BURKLEY HARKLESS

Burkley Harkless, a nosetackle for North Texas in 1965 and 1966, was a big part of the 1966 defense which allowed just 118.4 yards rushing per game (fifth fewest allowed in school history). That team allowed just 413 rushing yards, the fewest in the Missouri Valley Conference that year. Not only for his efforts that season, but both years at North Texas, Harkless was named to the All-Missouri Valley Conference Team.The Bay City, Texas, native participated in the 1967 Coaches All-American Game as a member of the West Team. Prior to attending North Texas, Harkless was a two-time All-America selection at Wharton County Junior College in 1963 and 1964.