History of North Texas Players

GMoney

Here is a list of North Texas players drafted by the NFL. This is not to say they all made their respective teams. This also does not include free agents that signed with NFL rosters. This is only a list of players drafted from 1967 - 1980. Sorry if I missed any names.

I was amazed at the amount of players I found and came to the realization of just how competitve and close to being something really big our program was during this era. Here's the link:

North Texas Draft Picks from 1967-1980

Cardinals

Vidal Carlin (QB) – 1967

Atlanta Falcons

Henry Holland © – 1968

Chicago Bears

Glen Hollway (G) – 1970

Robert Helterbran (G) – 1970

Cincinnati Bengals

Ed Brantley (OT) – 1968

James Russell (WR) – 1968

Cleveland Browns

Wilmer Levels (DB) - 1971

Dallas Cowboys

Beasley Reece (DB) – 1976

Denver Broncos

Billy Woods (DB) – 1969

Green Bay Packers

Stan Blackmon (TE) – 1975

Colts

Leonard Dunlap (DB) – 1971

KC Chiefs

Lindon Endsley © – 1968

NY Jets

Steve Sullivan (T) – 1972

N.O. Saints

Steve Ramsey (QB) -1970

SF 49ers

Cedric Hardman (DE) – 1970

Willie Parker © – 1971

Pittsburg Steelers

Joe Greene (DT) – 1969

Charles Beatty (DB) – 1969

Ron Shanklin (WR) – 1970

Mel Davis (DE) – 1976

Washington Redskins

John Love (WR) – 1967

Michael Shook (DB) – 1969

Glenn Tucker (LB) – 1971

Edited by GMoney

What strikes me is that only one of those players came from the Fry era, and he was probably recruited by Rod Rust.

My thought was maybe Hayden's guys would show up in the early 80's. Here's what I've found so far. I believe 1983 would be the last of Hayden's guys. Also, there was no one drafted from North Texas in 1984

Ron Battle Rams TE

Louis Haynes Chiefs LB

Tony Elliott Saints DE

Mark Witte Buccaneers TE

Was A D Whitfield drafted by the Cowboys or signed as a free agent?

He signed as a free agent in 1965.

Whatever Happened to ... A.D. Whitfield

By Robert Janis, Section NFL

Posted on Sat Oct 02, 2004 at 11:12:01 AM EST

When a casual Redskins fan is asked to name former running backs with the team he would probably call out Larry Brown, John Riggins, Earnest Byner, Steven Davis. Many may not remember A.D. Whitfield.

When a casual Redskins fan is asked to name former running backs with the team he would probably call out Larry Brown, John Riggins, Earnest Byner, Steven Davis. Many may not remember A.D. Whitfield.

Whitfield played for the Skins from 1966 through 1968....

...Whitfield was born in 1943 and raised in the tiny town of Rosebud, Texas. He started playing football when he was a sophomore at Wilson White High School in Rosebud...Whitfield played halfback and fullback in high school and made the All-District team...He attended North Texas State University where he played halfback all four years of his eligibility. He was honorable mention All-American and All-Conference in the Missouri Valley Conference his sophomore and junior years.

He was signed as a free agent by the Dallas Cowboys in 1965. "I called the NFL office after I wasn't drafted and a Dallas Cowboy scout came out the next day and signed me," said Whitfield. That first contract was for $10,000 and there was no signing bonus.

Reginald Lewis was one of Hayden's players......and he was drafted in the 3rd round by Tampa Bay. (I think in '79).

Also, you just mention drafted players, but J.T. Smith was one of Hayden's players. I think he was an undrafted free agent, but he played in the NFL several years (Cardinals and Chiefs, as I recall).

Not sure if the great Burks Washington (LB from '75-'78), got a chance with the pros or not. (I know he wasn't drafted; maybe he signed somewhere as an undrafted FA). But, Burks sure seemed like the type who would have been a great pro LB (to me anyway).

• Upvote 1

Guest GrayEagleOne

Hayden's best pro player was J.T. Smith, who I thought was drafted by Washington in 1978, but maybe he signed as a free agent. Anyway, he was traded to Kansas City that same year and after about six years with the Chiefs was traded to the Cardinals where he really came into his own with a couple of 1,000 yard receiving seasons.

If Rod Rust could have recruited, we'd have never had Hayden Fry. Rod was 22-6-1 with mostly Odus Mitchell recruits and 7-26 with mostly his own.

I think you left out Carl (Spider) Lockhart from the mid-60's. He was a star player with the Giants.

I started my research in 1967 because that seems to be when the most accurate draft records begin. Lockhart started his career in 1965, but I do not know if he was drafted or signed as a free agent.

Here's a correction:

1965 13 1 169 Carl Lockhart DB

(that is 13th round, 1 pick, 169th overall)

Here are some additional NT players I found looking for Spider's info:

1951 26 11 314 Quincy Armstrong C

1949 18 4 175 Dick Nutt B

1949 21 5 206 A.D. Cate G

Edited by GMoney

I started my research in 1967 because that seems to be when the most accurate draft records begin.  Lockhart started his career in 1965, but I do not know if he was drafted or signed as a free agent.

Sorry' bout that. You stated that in your thread title. The 02 media guide doesn't say if he was drafted, but it says that he played (and was a star) with the Giants from 65 to 75.

It also said that in 64 he lead North Texas in receiving, punt returns, punting (with a 39.6 average), and interceptions.

Surely Abner Haynes was drafted by some NFL team, but just did not sign with them. ... He signed with the AFL Dallas Texans (KC Chiefs) however.

No doubt the 1949 players played in the NFL but I don't think a draft existed at that time..... Didn't teams just sign players then. I can't remember when they began the draft system.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Downvote 2

Surely Abner Haynes was drafted by some NFL team, but just did not sign with them. ... He signed with the AFL  Dallas Texans  (KC Chiefs) however.

Yes he was, maybe by the Cowboys. I remember hearing him tell a story of a group of NFL players showing up in Denton, drunk, trying to encourage him to join the NFL instead of the AFL. But his father with a Baptist Minister. He took one look at the drunk NFL guys, and insisted Abner go to the AFL.

• 12 years later...

I realize this was before you started, but Art Perkins was drafted in 1962 by the Houston Oilers and the LA Rams.  Bobby Smith was drafted by the Buffalo Bills in 1964.  He played on two AFL championship teams  I believe, he ran a 9.9 hundred yd dash in high school.

• Lovely Take 1

On 1/6/2006 at 4:50 PM, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

Surely Abner Haynes was drafted by some NFL team, but just did not sign with them. ... He signed with the AFL Dallas Texans (KC Chiefs) however.

No doubt the 1949 players played in the NFL but I don't think a draft existed at that time..... Didn't teams just sign players then. I can't remember when they began the draft system.

* from Wiki

Although selected in the fifth round (55th overall) of the 1960 NFL draft by the Pittsburgh Steelers, Haynes chose to play for the AFL's Dallas Texans, signing his contract with the team under the goal posts of Kidd Field after the 1959 Sun Bowl. Haynes led the AFL in rushing attempts, yards, and TDs in its first year.[1] Haynes' father, a minister, advised that the young man play in the AFL after Buddy Parker and Bobby Layne of the Steelers made a drunken visit to Haynes' house.

4 hours ago, Graddean said:

I realize this was before you started, but Art Perkins was drafted in 1962 by the Houston Oilers and the LA Rams.  Bobby Smith was drafted by the Buffalo Bills in 1964.  He played on two AFL championship teams  I believe, he ran a 9.9 hundred yd dash in high school.

Bobby Smith, #25 on your program.

I think he was eventually replaced or beaten out by former Arkansas star Bobby Burnett. 

Since you know what his hundred time was, what HS did he play for? 

• Lovely Take 1