WAC Bowls

NDT

If you absolutely need to be convinced that membership in the WAC would be a mistake, I suggest you go read the La. Tech Barks and Bytes message board. Despite the fact they were 7-4 with a nationally televised victory over Fresno they are not going to a bowl. Fresno, Boise, and Nevada are all going bowling. Some are even suggesting that 1AA would be better, although none have mentioned the Sun Belt. They are spending a lot of $ to play in a conference that is not a geographical fit with a Commissioner who won't go to bat for them.

If you absolutely need to be convinced that membership in the WAC would be a mistake, I suggest you go read the La. Tech Barks and Bytes message board.  Despite the fact they were 7-4 with a nationally televised victory over Fresno they are not going to a bowl.  Fresno, Boise, and Nevada are all going bowling.  Some are even suggesting that 1AA would be better, although none have mentioned the Sun Belt.  They are spending a lot of $ to play in a conference that is not a geographical fit with a Commissioner who won't go to bat for them.

Several teams with six+ wins are not going bowling. Three out of the WAC conference sounds pretty good to me. The WAC has four schools whose athletic programs, in my opinion, are currently superior to the programs at North Texas. I'm not including La Tech in that opinion. Since I also consider our overall athletic program to be the best in the SBC, that doesn't say a whole lot for our conference vs. the WAC. All just my wacky opionion of course. smile.gif

If you absolutely need to be convinced that membership in the WAC would be a mistake, I suggest you go read the La. Tech Barks and Bytes message board.  Despite the fact they were 7-4 with a nationally televised victory over Fresno they are not going to a bowl.  Fresno, Boise, and Nevada are all going bowling.  Some are even suggesting that 1AA would be better, although none have mentioned the Sun Belt.  They are spending a lot of $ to play in a conference that is not a geographical fit with a Commissioner who won't go to bat for them.

The WAC has 3 Bowl tie-ins and La Tech fell 4th. The SBC only has 1 tie-in. I'd still take a WAC invite.

Boise and Nevada finished 7-1 in the WAC as co-champs. La Tech and Fresno tied at 6-2, but Fresno overall was 8-3 and ranked for several weeks while La Tech finished 7-4. Last year La Tech would have had a slot, it's just numbers this year.

Going WACy would be a very, very bad idea.

Their commissioner will not do anything to help a school in the Central time zone. That is not the case in the SBC where our's goes out and works.

Plus there is the near total lack of publicity in the local media. Tech beat a ranked Fresno and got almost no mention. Huge travel costs that are NOT offset be additional funds from the conference.

And unless a Central time zone team wins the conference, they are not going bowling. Just ask Rice or La Tech! The Hawaii Bowl keeps saying Hawaii MUST be the host team or the bowl is going to fail!

I read some of the threads over there!

Let's not go WACy!!!

The WAC has 3 Bowl tie-ins and La Tech fell 4th.  The SBC only has 1 tie-in.  I'd still take a WAC invite. 

Boise and Nevada finished 7-1 in the WAC as co-champs.  La Tech and Fresno tied at 6-2, but Fresno overall was 8-3 and ranked for several weeks while La Tech finished 7-4.  Last year La Tech would have had a slot, it's just numbers this year.

Not true.

The WAC has two bowl ties. Boise and Hawaii. The Fresno to the Liberty agreement this year was a function of two things. #1 The Liberty wanted to lock in a ranked team (which Tech blew to hell). #2 The Liberty's contract with the MWC ended last year and their contract with the SEC doesn't start until next year.

No team other than Hawaii plays in the Hawaii Bowl and comes anywhere close to breaking even.

Fresno didn't get national attention this year because they are in the WAC. They got it because they traveled to the #6 team in the nation and lost by 3. They beat a team headed to the GMAC Bowl by 30 points. They lost to the #1 team in the nation by 8 points the second closest game they played all year.

Don't think that the college football establishment respects the WAC.

The bottom four teams in the WAC (SJSU, USU, Idaho, NMSU) went 7-37 against I-A competition and had one I-A win outside that group of four teams, USU's home win over 2-9 UNLV. That group includes two teams that finished tied for last in the Sun Belt last year. Just above them in the standings was Hawaii at 5-7. Four of those wins came from (big shock) Idaho, USU, SJSU, and NMSU. Their non-conference win came at home over 5-7 San Diego State.

At the top of the WAC, La.Tech lost to Kansas and FAU played Kansas a closer game. Five of their 7 wins came over the bottom five WAC teams. One game over the last place team in the Sun Belt. They had Fresno for their sole win over a winning team.

Nevada lost to 4-7 Washington State by 34. Beat 2-9 UNLV by 8. Lost to 6-5 Colorado State by 21. Went 5-0 against the WAC's bottom five. Beat La.Tech and Fresno. Lost by 35 to Nevada.

Boise lost handily to Georgia (played them 2 points better than ULM but UGA had a larger halftime lead against Boise). Lost to 5-6 Oregon State. Crushed a Bowling Green that finished tied for second in their division in the MAC. Beat a 6-5 Portland State (I-AA) that finished 4th in the Big Sky by 7 points.

The WAC has two pretty good teams, two average teams and 5 teams that pretty well stink. It is marginally better than the Belt simply because of Fresno and Boise.

The WAC has 3 Bowl tie-ins and La Tech fell 4th.   The SBC only has 1 tie-in.   I'd still take a WAC invite.  

Boise and Nevada finished 7-1 in the WAC as co-champs.   La Tech and Fresno tied at 6-2, but Fresno overall was 8-3 and ranked for several weeks while La Tech finished 7-4.   Last year La Tech would have had a slot, it's just numbers this year.

HERE'S THE TRUTH THE WAY MANY SEE IT (while others refuse to admit to it because that would be an admission that they've been wrong all along).

Suggestion to those of you who don't have anything else to do and may want to read this epistle: Read half of it in the AM & the other half in the PM, but don't read any of it if you take medication for hypertension. smile.gif

Sorta' bothers me that a school (La Tech) that we now know has been kicking DD's butt in recruiting the last few years is not going to a bowl game. La Tech with their win over Fresno State on TV the other night deserves a bowl game over other schools and certainly over any school in the SBC/Bottom 10.

With what we have seen of La Tech's recruiting, some of you with open minds might want to carefully consider these thoughts and their realities: Troy U who beat UNT in 2001 pre-SBC membership allowed DD to back into a 2001 bowl game; Florida Atlantic U who beat us in 2004, ie, a year before their SBC membership became official allowed DD to back into a 2004 bowl; and now the blatant truth that had La Tech never left the SBC, that they (along with Troy and FAU) may have very well taken all 4 bowl games that DD just happen to be around to be able to say to SBC Commish' Wright Waters: "Gosh almighty, Wright ol' pal (and perseverer of my head football coaching career at UNT) surely we accept those 4 bowl invites. blink.gifAll the aforementioned realities with a (still) way under .500 W/L record) would have most coach's in NCAA D1-A on the job searching trail, but not at North Texas, of course.

Just what is it, fellow "give a damn'ers of UNT's football future" that other NCAA D1-A athletic hiring authorities seem to be very loudly telling all of us in Mean Green Country? That is, that they, too, are not impressed with DD's performance at the University of North Texas in light of 4 "backed into" bowl appearances? And with 100 plus (outside the SBC, of course) other NCAA D1-A schools total unwillingness to give Darrell Dickey even one consideration to be on any of their serious head football coach candidates list? Just what is it that our NT Board of Regents seems to know that no one else in the entire NCAA D1-A (least of all most of us in the Mean Green Nation) still haven't figured out about Darrell Dickey? A DD who gets to hang around (going on a 9'th) year of "shooting fish in the barrell" success playing the worst ever collection of schools in NCAA history? BTW, a consortium of schools that we are now in light of FIU's (for crissakes) win over MTSU that officially puts our NT football program at the bottom of this barrell full of fish.

NT80, we do need a change of neighborhoods (among other changes) so we can get ourselves out of the Bottom 10 doldrums. I don't see such a change anytime soon, but we don't need just that to move us up the ladder. We can still do that in spite of SBC/Bottom 10 membership if we just make some key personel changes; because the way things are today, I fear things will get worse in Denton before it gets better.

The real shame here is that a school like UNT, it's growth and dynamic location can do just like UTEP (who UNT still has the all time W/L football series record advantage) and hire a coach who (like Price) who would not spend time kicking fans butts over the radio airwaves, but would spend time doing what was is necessary to get the Mean Green into the upper quadrant of NCAA D1-A.

Why the delay of our progress because of 1 or 2 on campus who just cannot utter the phrase "SBC/Bottom 10" or "Best of the Worst" is the real a$$-kicker with many of us. How many of you have observed other businesses being operated like NT football has been of late? Yet while this is all being allowed to continue.........the UNT community yawns, turns over in bed and continues in a deep sleep of acceptance of this.

Said it before, but this is just not the same North Texas that used to make most of my era and before proud & excited about our future I guarantee that; and, FWIW, many of us back in our eras when our goals for NT football were much higher didn't know anything about schools who presently make up the SBC/Bottom10. Of course, 2 of those schools didn't have football back in that day, either. And one of those schools a Dickey-led NT football program has yet to win one game.

Just what is it going to take for NT Exes/Mean Green fans to say enough is enough ? How long till we (collectively) request to our NT Board of Regents that we get back on the high road of years long gone, you know, back to the days when we didn't have to worry about what our NT head football coach would say next on the radio (of a negative nature), the days when we all had a better self-image of our collegiate alma mater (which usually means more donors and larger donations from present donors) and for damn sure, to get back to the days when we set higher goals for Mean Green football than what we are getting in this present NCAA D1-A quagmire we are sinking in right along with our other fellow SBC/Bottom 10 conference mates?

What part of any of the aforementioned is that far off base, fellow alums? I have an open mind and (to those of you who have known me for a long time) you know I will listen to sound reasoning on anything and will even 'fess up when I am wrong.

GOD BLESS TEXAS...

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Plum-

As we all know nothing is going to happen this year to DD.

BTW, has DD ever fired one of his coaches since he has been here?? (I do not know the answer to that)

I believe the post that HUFF posted, in the last week (or so), indicated, if you read between the lines, that if DD has another season like this he is gone. I would HAVE to agree 100% along, hopefully, with EVERYONE else that it would be time. UNFORTUNATELY, Plum you have one more year of epipistles.

Plum, as much as I enjoy reading your posts have you ever considered cutting and pasting some of your posts to see if anyone noticed?? laugh.gif

hasta bro.

unsure.gif I have said for three years that something needed to change. Have tried to contact the BoR's with no success and see somone trying very hard to move us either back to IAA or -- forbid the thought no football.

This past season may be the motivation to start the move and focus attention on the South Dallas Campus, Law School, and the Engineering School.

Fooball is critical to the continued success of UNT and its growth. When will the administration see this??

Plum-

BTW, has DD ever fired one of his coaches since he has been here?? (I do not know the answer to that)

I believe the post that HUFF posted, in the last week (or so), indicated, if you read between the lines, that if DD has another season like this he is gone.  I would HAVE to agree 100% along, hopefully,  with EVERYONE else that it would be time.  UNFORTUNATELY, Plum you have one more year of epipistles.

Plum, as much as I enjoy reading your posts have you ever considered cutting and pasting some of your posts to see if anyone noticed?? laugh.gif

hasta bro.

Chuck Mills?

Plum-

I believe the post that HUFF posted, in the last week (or so), indicated, if you read between the lines, that if DD has another season like this he is gone.  I would HAVE to agree 100% along, hopefully,  with EVERYONE else that it would be time.  UNFORTUNATELY, Plum you have one more year of epipistles.

hasta bro.

Funny, ee...... smile.gif

Yet the ones who I want to notice the manifestos are the ones doing all the "invisible" lurking. You veteran posters/readers pretty well all know what I am going to say by now. laugh.gif

Some of you have even told me my epistles (gosh, that makes me feel religious just to say that word); anyway, some of you have even told me I've helped with some of your insomnia problems and for that I am grateful..............(I think)? blink.gif

GOD BLESS TEXAS!