I went to the Texas State game today.....

bflan

Yes, they are making strides in their athletic department (namely football). Will they pass us? I doubt it. How good are their other sports? How are their other facilities? Does it rival what we are doing at Eagle Point? Doubt it. Also, many of their academic programs are still behind NT and many other Div1A schools in Texas. Yes they are growing rapidly, as is support for their program. But so is NT. Dont let one bad football season for us, and one good season in Div 1AA for them let you believe the sky is falling. Its not.

I also do not think this success they have enjoyed at the 1AA level would necessarily translate directly into success at the D1A level. Many of Texas State's players transferred there from D1A schools because they wouldnt have to sit out a year and could have an immediate impact. Their QB was orginally recruited by U of H but I think (not certain) there were some personal problems/issues that led him to leave UH and Texas State was happy to take him (for obvious reasons). He is as much or more to TexState what VY is to UT.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, they are making strides in their athletic department (namely football). Will they pass us? I doubt it. How good are their other sports? How are their other facilities? Does it rival what we are doing at Eagle Point? Doubt it. Also, many of  their academic programs are still behind NT and many other Div1A schools in Texas. Yes they are growing rapidly, as is support for their program. But so is NT. Dont let one bad football season for us, and one good season in Div 1AA for them let you believe the sky is falling. Its not.

I also do not think this success they have enjoyed at the 1AA level would necessarily translate directly into success at the D1A level. Many of Texas State's players transferred there from D1A schools because they wouldnt have to sit out a year and could have an immediate impact. Their QB was orginally recruited by U of H but I think (not certain) there were some personal problems/issues that led him to leave UH and Texas State was happy to take him (for obvious reasons). He is as much or more to TexState what VY is to UT.

I meant athletically only - academically we are above their ultimate safety school status.

I think they are building their entire program (hence the commisioners cups.) Soccer and Volleyball teams made it to the NCAA tournament this year and they, although not last year, usually have a good baseball team that draws well. Last year their football attendance was just over 11,000 and seems to be growing this year. They had 15,000+ for the last playoff game - more impressive since Texas was in action in Houston just before.

All I am saying is they are not as far from us as an athletic program as we think - and there is no reason for their fundraising to be on par with us. I don't think the sky is falling, but if I had to buy stock in one school or the other right now, I would probably by Tx State. Its not the football seasons that sway me, its the way they are growing their facilities, staff, and donors.

They are TEXAS STATE. Just like if San Angelo State wanted to change their name which they will not , they would be TEXAS STATE @ San Angelo just like a UTA,UTEP,UTSA,

They were the first to do it now they set the rules for their own system. Just like UT will never become UTAustin. They are the flagship!

Did the legislator change their name again this last Spring? I know when Southwest first did the name change, they were Texas State @ San Marcos. That could have changed, but I know for certain when they made their first name change that was what it was.

Did the legislator change their name again this last Spring? I know when Southwest first did the name change, they were Texas State @ San Marcos. That could have changed, but I know for certain when they made their first name change that was what it was.

They are still Texas State @ San Marcos. They are simply one of the members of the Texas State University System. They are not necessarily considered the "flagship" of that system. It was only a name change. Not a change in leadership.

The other members of the system are Sam Houston, Lamar, Sul Ross, and Angelo. If say Sam Houston changed their name to Texas State @ Huntsville, then San Marcos would probably be more commonly referred to as TSSM. Until something like that happens, they will probably just be referred to as Texas State. Since most schools in the system are named after Texas heroes, a name change by anyone other than Angelo sounds unlikely to me.

North Texas was a member of the system until shortly after WW2 when we set up our own Board of Regents. If we were to change our name to Texas State @ Denton, we would probably have to rejoin the system. I don't think cosolidation of university systems is totally out of the question down the road. There has been quite a bit of talk about that down in Austin.

I heard through a TSU alumni/faculty that we "UNT" are ducking them and won't play them, ala SMU did to us in the late 90's.  I know it would serve no real purpose for us to play them , but if it is true it makes us look bad.

Heard the same thing - they are quite pissed about it.

They are also insisting on a home and home though - and probably cannot give us the money to make it worth it for the risk it would be to our program.

If their AD was at TCU when RV was there - I wonder if they are friends? Or not.... ph34r.gif

It would be a no win situtation for us.

1) we win, well we are suppose to win.

2) we lose, well we suck and can't beat a 1-AA

I agree, a home and home would be stupid for us, especially financially.

However, it would be nice to play them from time to time along with SMU and TCU to still up some state interest.

If they become a Div1A team, we should definately play them. Until then, I see no reason to play them. Like you said, there is nothing for NT  to gain.

The only possible rationalization is if we start losing recruits to them. Oh wait, we tried that with Tulsa and La Tech. tongue.gif

Agree - nothing to gain and everything to lose...

Look at TAMU.

Read a pretty reliable account of a recent meeting in the Texas State provost's office. A few things.

Every university and college, of course, has visions of greatness. However, they are facing reality that they will never be a top notch research institution. It's just too hard to do, and they are starting from too far behind. Sounds to me like some realism is setting in. They discussed their place in the classification system devised by the Higher Education Coordinating Board. (Which is in a "middle" ranking below "emerging research institution" that UNT occupies.)

For their region, since UT Austin and A&M are capping enrollment, TS is looked-upon by the Coordinating Board to take more students. (UT "rejects" as the poster rather negatively characterized the situation.) They said the San Marcos campus will probably cap-out at around 30,000, but they hope to add more at their Round Rock campus. They also mentioned possibly opening a new campus in San Antonio.

They want to grow their graduate enrollment, but this is looked-upon as a percentage of overall enrollment. So, getting that percentage up while being asked to take more undergraduates (due to the capping situation) is a particular challenge.

Perhaps pleasing to you guys, the provost apparently (remember, I am getting this second hand), said that they would like to model themselves on Texas Tech and North Texas. In other words, they would like to be more like you. I'd take this as a big compliment!

FWIW, I don't think there is any question that they are down the educational pecking from UNT. (But, I'm not saying that makes Texas State a bad place.)

Thought you guys might be interested in this. As I say, I am getting this second hand, but I don't have reason to doubt the source. Also, everything rings completely true.

It's hypocritical to refer to Texas State as SWTSU, then bitch when someone refers to UNT as North Texas State.

laugh.gif Do your homework. I have never been close to bitching about being refered to as NTSU. In fact, I prefer NTSU. laugh.giflaugh.giftongue.giftongue.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Every time I hear "Texas State" I think of Quantum Leap!

Edited by tonyhuntoon

Play them in football in Denton - good crowd - Fouts with crowds is a blast.

Do not play them away until they are D1A.

They might raise our SOS since we are probably ranked well below their football program at this point.

Call them up Rick!

GMG

I think we should play them at home. People are complaining that it is a no-win situation, and I see their point. BUT.....if you want respect, how can you get it by ducking a 1-AA team? That is embarassing! UT will play them, I think they are on their schedule for next year, or one coming up, now that the NCAA okayed a 12th game. (More whore games for the big schools) If you look at some of NT's power rankings, there are a few 1-AA teams ahead of them! The Sunbelt is a glorified 1-AA league.....just look at the teams in it. Good God....those two Florida teams, FAU, FIU, FAO Schwartz, or whoever they are?????

I think we should play them at home.  People are complaining that it is a no-win situation, and I see their point.  BUT.....if you want respect, how can you get it by ducking a 1-AA team?  That is embarassing!  UT will play them, I think they are on their schedule for next year, or one coming up, now that the NCAA okayed a 12th game. (More whore games for the big schools)  If you look at some of NT's power rankings, there are a few 1-AA teams ahead of them!  The Sunbelt is a glorified 1-AA league.....just look at the teams in it.  Good God....those two Florida teams, FAU, FIU, FAO Schwartz, or whoever they are?????

Once again, most every year DD went bowling we were beaten by schools who were (basically) NCAA D1-AA schools, so nothing new for UNT playing (and getting beat even during bowl years) by 1-AA schools. DD will get his 3'rd attempt to get his first win one against FAU next Fall at Fouts (and probaby a 4'th attempt in 2007 and so on and so on). blink.gifWonder what College of Football Hall of Famer Hayden Fry would (privately) tell Bobby Ray and the UNT Board of Regents of his observation of the true direction of Mean Green football? Dare any of that group ask or...........do we need to still consult with Kansas "pre-Bill Snyder era" State experts?

GOD BLESS TEXAS...

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I don't think we should have agree to a "home and home" with the School for the Blind, the Little Sisters of the Poor or Texas State @ San Marcos. While some might think our two schools are on the same level, most of us know that is not the case.

I agree we do not need to give them a home and home, but the notion that we are far above them in football is laughable- and not just this year. Look at how we each played Baylor last year. If we played Baylor or TAMU as close as they did some on this board would probably print t-shirts.

We are in the bottom 15 of college football - not a time to be thumbing our noses in my opinion.

ULL an ULM changed at the same time thus creating a UL (city here)

And yes Texas State is gaining ground and UNT will have to compete with them on

One major difference regarding the UL (insert name) change. The state mandated that at least two teams agree to change names, essentially making it impossible (improbable?) that any one school would become "UL". When then USL changed its name to UL in 1984 there was no such provision. Then the state forced a reversal back to USL (even though the name change was done according to standard practices used for LaTech and UNO). Anyway, when it was done the 2nd time, NLU was our "partner" in the name change. To my knowledge no other UL system school was interested; hence today's ULL and ULM delimma. Got to love Louisiana politics. dry.gif Fortunetly for Texas State, the state of Texas wasn't so darn petty, at least in the end.

I watched a half of the SWTSU game on TV. Looked like another 1-AA game to me. Sorry, not overly impressed with their QB either. There is a reason why the guy is playing 1-AA football, HE WASN'T GOOD ENOUGH!

He'll possibly be a late-round draft pick in the NFL. He's listed somewhere between 8-15 in QBs available for the draft. He was good enough to be a starter at Houston, but he blew out his knee, and the coach who recruited him got fired.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...ne.d418bd3.html

The kid's certainly good enough to play Div 1-A.

I would much rather have Texas State in the SunBelt than FAU or FIU. 

Our frats seem like they could learn a lot from the good ole boys down at Texas State.

Fast forward 10 years-

UTEP

Tulsa

Arkansas State

SMU

North Texas

Louisiana Tech

Louisiana

Houston

Rice

Tulane?

Teams to add:

TCU-you never know what the MWC will do

TEXAS STATE-expands conference marketability into San Antonio area, needs to get facilities upgraded

MISSOURI STATE-same scenario

TULANE-I think they will want to go with USM/Memphis bunch when CUSA splits, if they are playing football then

NEW MEXICO STATE-it would be up to UTEP