college football changes

eulesseagle

Coach Hatfield of Rice will resign.

The DC at Texas A&M was fired........impressive record at UNC and Alabama as one of the top 5 defensive programs in the nation....didn't fare well at A&M.

Frank Solich at Ohio slumped over drunk in his car....luckily found by police.

Shame about Hatfield 12 years at Rice and still has a career winning record.

If I had moved from Nebraska to Ohio (not State) and lost my final three games of the season after a 4-4 start I think I'd be entitled to tie one on.

Shame about Hatfield 12 years at Rice and still has a career winning record.

If I had moved from Nebraska to Ohio (not State) and lost my final three games of the season after a 4-4 start I think I'd be entitled to tie one on.

Great logo at bottom ASU fan. Congrats are well deserved, hope you can represent SBC much better than NT has the last couple of years.

I wish we would use the stAte logo more as well.

At TribalGrounds we've been advocating for the last 4 or 5 years that ASU create a secondary logo/mascot that could be used for the team. As we said back then, the day is going to come when the NCAA and the PC crowd is going to force us to change our nickname and mascot and we needed to have a back-up ready. Our logic was that if the fans have been using the logo and have been seeing the mascot that changing to the back-up would make the transition go more easily.

We got the idea of the Red Wolf after reading about some schools located in places with larger Indian populations that kept Indian or Tribe names but used animals as a mascot or logo at the request of the local Indians who were OK with the names but did not want a representation of a person. The three schools I found all used animals that had some sort of meaning in the Native American culture. One school used a bear (out for us because Central Arkansas is the Bears), one used an eagle (out for us because one of conference-mates is already sometimes eagles), and one used a wolf. Since there is a species of wolf called the red wolf and our colors are red and black, seemed like a natural.

So the wolf in the banner is just part of our tilting at windmills because the folks in charge at ASU were convinced the NCAA would never do anything and now seem convinced that somehow the NCAA will grant an appeal. While I refuse to accept reality and shoot for ASU informally holding on to the Indians name while using a mascot/logo that gets the NCAA and PC crowd off our rear.

Rice needs to go ahead and drop the football program. Sad but true. Another school that might have to is Tulane. They almost did it a few years back and are now in the same boat once again.

Rice didn't because of a study they did. Actually, this is the second time that I know of them doing the study and the results are still the same.

They have found having a D1 football team in vital to Rice's alumni. It ties them back to the school like nothing else they have been able to find. It's allowed them to get a huge endowment for other programs. It gets them more name recognition than anything else they could do.