I'm done giving DD slack

GreenFlag

Unfortunately there are not enough of us that feel the same way we do.  Until there are more, we will continue to have to put up with his crap.

Probably more than you'd think, GoMeanGreen1999...A movement has already begun by one of our most involved NT Exes and that is all that will be said on that for now.

I've never seen or heard of any another coaching situation that has evolved in Denton ever happening at any other NCAA D1-A school that I can think of the last few decades. I wish someone would tell me UNT is not pioneering this kind of athletic personnel decision-making.

8 years to come to this point at the level we compete would be a dog that would not run anywhere else. Some of us are still trying to understand why this is being allowed to happen at a school that says it wants athletic excellence. Football is not the only UNT varsity sport for there to be concern, either. Being above or below .500 in W's/L's is what I understand most NCAA D1-A schools use as their barometer of any coach's performance.

Really an important time for UNT leadership at the top to make some bold decisions many on this forum would say.

GOD BLESS TEXAS!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Hey Plumm, I hope you are right, but I just don't see them getting rid of DD with what he was "quote" done in the four years before this one.

ADDENDUM: SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 27, 2005

TURN ON THE LIGHTS, THIS PARTIES JUST BEGINNING!

NOTE: The UNT Board of Regents meet in a few days on campus, if you are in agreement with either this or similar opinions from other NT Exes/Mean Green fans, cut/paste and email some of these posts to each NT Board of Regent and Chancellor Lee Jackson.

Well, most businesses most of us in the non-academic and (thus) more realistic world are involved don't reward their employees based on what they did much beyond the previous 12 months (if that long). You know, out in the real world its more of a, "what have you done for us lately" modus operendi (and just as it should be most likely). If you are going to use 4 years in the SBC/Bottom 10 environment Darrell Dickey's been a part of, then you also need to look at some schools we lost to (other than UT and OU) in some of those 4 years that we (in deed) went to some bowl games; and this for those who can (and will) face the reality of our football program situation at UNT.

Or do you prefer to buy into the kind of fluff you heard almost every week each of the last few Falls on the Mean Green Radio Network's weekly DD Pro-Propaganda Show; you know, the ones that much of the last 4 years Dickey took weekly radio broadcasted opportunities to slip in some sarcasm aimed at us? Remember how he took way too many post game radio shows and weekly coachs' shows to make his true feelings known about life at UNT and Denton AND..........to verbally kick UNT fans and alums at every turn? Who knows, some of you may like that kind of BS, but I know many who are now looking back at all those post game shows/coach's shows who suddenly don't appreciate all that now in light of what has all been tumbling down the last 3 or 4 years topped off with this football season.

During many of those UNT sponsored (and thus skewed in favor of DD) Mean Green Radio Network broadcasts the last 4 years; anyway, how many of you picked up on many occassions those broadcasted comments aimed at NT Exes and MG fans with a most sarcastic: "Did You All Like That" comments aimed at UNT alums and fans during a (I suppose) "DD moment" on the gridrion? Those sarcastic comments the last few year were periocially pointed out to me by several NT Exes who really didn't appreciate the attempted subtlety by (other paid UNT empoyees) in the broadcast booth. All this MGRN praise for their boy who had to depend on the SBC being at the bottom of the NCAA D1-A heap for his success. BTW.......Did Yall Like All of That, Boys?

For all of you who are now choosing to be non-Stepford Eagle "accepting of anything dished down to you" fans/alums of UNT; BTW, a growing group that will now continue to expand and make their feelings even more public until UNT powers-that-be step up to the plate to take care of all this Darrell Dickey business); anyway, all of you who want to see this NT football program rise above the mediocrity of a where its been spiralling down the last 3-4 years and want to see us be able to beat such schools as Louisiana Tech University, Tulsa University, U of South Florida ( a school we lost to twice when they were a 5-6 year old football program) and then the icing on the cake for all concerned...........UNT's 2 losses the last 2 years to Florida Atlantic University (yet another one of those Sunshine State football programs less than 5 years old). Anyway, those of you who (like me) finally saw the light of that is happening and are now speaking out on all this publicly, your alma mater will be the eventual short-term and long-term beneficiary of all this once the right NT athletic department changes are made; nevertheless, each and everyone of you are to be applauded.

YET................isn't all this with Dickey more than just about wins and losses which are now even further under .500? Some on this board in years past have suggested boring Dickey Ball, a condescending attitude from DD that he might just be a bit too good for Denton and UNT, annual penalties galore (lack of discipline) and NT fans/alums radio bashing by DD. So does all this must merely boild down to wins and losses? I think not since "positive" public relations is as much a part of a NCAA D1-A head coach's job as coaching the football team itself.

I suppose the ESPN national radio interview with DDickey was the one that might have bothered a whole bunch of the Mean Green Nation the most because he actually chose (on the national airwaves to boot) go go with his usual "woe is us at UNT & our backs are against the wall here in Denton" speech over what could have been an annoucement to potential NT Mean Green recruits across the USA with something like this in his own words, of course: " Hey, we excited about whats going on here in Denton, Texas. Even as this interview is taking place, we are even spending almost $40 million on 200 acres which we call the Mean Green Athletic Village which includes a state of the art Athletic Center which one NFL Pro Bowler said was actually better than some facilities in the NFL and a brand new luxurious dorm near the A/C we call--Victory Hall."

A LITTLE NT FOOTBALL HISTORY: First of all, UNT has mostly been a NCAA Division 1 school since 1950 except for about 12 years in the early 80's up till 1994 when we were NCAA D1-AA and that before we (very admirably because of most of you reading this post) met NCAA D1-A attendance criteria in 1994 in a season some thing was as exciting as any recent bowl year and that 1994 year that we met the criteria to be reclassified as a NCAA D-A school that became official in 1995.

DID YOU EVER PONDER THIS? Many of the schools who are now members of the SBC/Bottom 10 were only (in recent years) just out of a NCAA 1-AA classification. For instance, in our first bowl year (2001), NCAA 1-AA transitional school & future SBC member Troy U beat us at their place. Had the Troy U Trojans been an official members of the SBC in 2001, they would have gone to the New Orleans Bowl instead of UNT.

WHATS WITH THESE GOL' DARNED "LESS THAN 5 YEAR OLD" FLORIDA UNIVERSITIES THAT KEEP POPPING UP ON UNT'S FOOTBALL SCHEDULE? Not talking about new SBC members FAU and FIU this time around, but rather the U of South Florida who also beat us in that same bowl year of 2001, 28-10. So its hardly a case that we only just lose OOC games to the Texas' or Oklahoma's as some have said on this board in their defense of UNT football mediocrity and who hath wrought all of that.

But with DD, its moreso a combination of events that reared their ugly heads during this football season that became a revelation to many that maybe we had been wearing those green-tinted glasses a bit too long when we all gave ourselves good recruiting class grades the last 3 year that just did not translate onto the football field this Fall. And all that materialized with strategic losse to Tulsa U and La Tech, 2 schools we compete with heavily in recruiting every year. Those 2 schools many were using as a barometer of where our football program really stood and we fell way below expectations against the Tulsa U Golden Hurricane and the Bulldogs from Ruston.

A loss to another Sunshine State school less than 5 years old (I believe) was a big bucket of cold water thrown in the faces of many of our NT alums and fans with a 2005 football season loss to Florida Atlantic U, which was (in fact) the 2'nd year in a row we lost to a new SBC member who were not even yet fully classified in NCAA D1-A. The first loss to a (then) NCAA D1-AA FAU was in a bowl year for UNT, too, and that being in 2004 when we hosted Schnellenberger's team at Fouts Field.

Then, our way "too close" for comfort win over another Sunshine State school less than 5 years old and that over Florida International U (and even a close game with their 8 turnovers). More red flags concerning 2 Florida SBC football programs who were 5 years old. How long has UNT been playing football? How about since 1913?

Maybe the most "tell-tell' sign that a Dickey-led UNT football program was not progressing (as previously thought) were our last 2 bowl gamel losses to CUSA' 4'th place teams, ie, Memphis and Southern Miss. Folks, if you lose in a bowl game to CUSA's 4'th place team that (somewhat) speaks volumes about Mean Green football and where it stands compared to 118 other NCAA D1-A schools.

For those who love SBC/Bottom 10 football, Darrell Dickey is the man. He will more than fit the bill, but I know a helluva' bunch of NT old timers and young gun alums from the 80's, 90's and beyond who will not for long continue buying into that level of disguised success.

GOD BLESS TEXAS!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

ADDENDUM: SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 27, 2005

TURN ON THE LIGHTS, THIS PARTIES JUST BEGINNING!

NOTE: The UNT Board of Regents meet in a few days on campus, if you are in agreement with either this or similar opinions from other NT Exes/Mean Green fans, cut/paste and email some of these posts to each NT Board of Regent and Chancellor Lee Jackson

Well, most businesses most of us in the non-academic and (thus) more realistic world are involved don't reward their employees based on what they did much beyond the previous 12 months (if that long).  You know, out in the real world its more of a, "what have you done for us lately" modus operendi (and just as it should be most likely).  If you are going to use 4 years in the SBC/Bottom 10 environment Darrell Dickey's been a part of, then you also need to look at some schools we lost to (other than UT and OU) in some of those 4 years that we (in deed) went to some bowl games;  and this for those who can (and will) face the reality of our football program situation at UNT.

Or do you prefer to buy into the kind of fluff you heard almost every week each of the last few Falls on the Mean Green Radio Network's weekly DD Pro-Propaganda Show; you know, the ones that much of the last 4 years Dickey took  weekly radio broadcasted opportunities to slip in some sarcasm aimed at us?  Remember how he took way too many post game radio shows and weekly coachs' shows to make his true feelings known about life at UNT and Denton AND..........to verbally kick UNT fans and alums at every turn?  Who knows, some of you may like that kind of BS, but I know many who are now looking back at all those post game shows/coach's shows who suddenly don't appreciate all that now in light of what has all been tumbling down the last 3 or 4 years topped off with this football season.   

During many of those UNT sponsored (and thus skewed in favor of DD) Mean Green Radio Network broadcasts the last 4 years;  anyway, how many of you picked up on many occassions those broadcasted comments aimed at NT Exes and MG fans with a most sarcastic: "Did You All Like That" comments aimed at UNT alums and fans during a (I suppose)  "DD moment" on the gridrion?   Those sarcastic comments the last few year were periocially pointed out to me by several NT Exes who really didn't appreciate the attempted subtlety by (other paid UNT empoyees) in the broadcast booth.   All this MGRN praise for their boy who had  to depend on the SBC being at the bottom of the NCAA D1-A heap for his success.   BTW.......Did Yall Like All of That, Boys?

For all of you who are now choosing to be non-Stepford Eagle "accepting of anything dished down to you"  fans/alums of UNT; BTW, a growing group that will now continue to expand and make their feelings even more public until UNT powers-that-be step up to the plate to take care of all this Darrell Dickey business); anyway, all of you who want to see this NT football program rise above the mediocrity of a where its been spiralling down the last 3-4 years and want to see us be able to beat such schools as Louisiana Tech University, Tulsa University, U of South Florida ( a school we lost to twice when they were a 5-6 year old football program) and then the icing on the cake for all concerned...........UNT's 2 losses the last 2 years to Florida Atlantic University (yet another one of those Sunshine State football programs less than 5 years old).  Anyway, those of you who (like me) finally saw the light of that is happening and are now speaking out on all this publicly, your alma mater will be the eventual short-term and long-term beneficiary of all this once the right NT athletic department changes are made; nevertheless, each and everyone of you are to be applauded. 

YET................isn't all this with Dickey more than just about wins and losses which are now even further under .500?  Some on this board in years past have suggested boring Dickey Ball, a condescending attitude from DD that he might just be a bit too good for Denton and UNT, annual penalties galore (lack of discipline) and NT fans/alums radio bashing by DD.  So does all this must merely boild down to wins and losses?  I think not since "positive" public relations is as much a part of a NCAA D1-A head coach's job as coaching the football team itself.

I suppose the ESPN national radio interview with DDickey was the one that might have bothered a whole bunch of the Mean Green Nation the most because he actually chose (on the national airwaves to boot) go go with his usual  "woe is us at UNT & our backs are against the wall here in Denton"  speech over what could have been an annoucement to potential NT Mean Green recruits across the USA with something like this in his own words, of course:  " Hey, we excited about whats going on here in Denton, Texas.  Even as this interview is taking place, we are even spending almost $40 million on 200 acres which we call the Mean Green Athletic Village which includes a state of the art Athletic Center which one NFL Pro Bowler said was actually better than some facilities in the NFL and a brand new luxurious dorm near the A/C we call--Victory Hall." 

A LITTLE NT FOOTBALL HISTORY:  First of all, UNT has mostly been a NCAA Division 1 school since 1950 except for about 12 years in the early 80's up till 1994 when we were NCAA D1-AA and that before we (very admirably because of most of you reading this post) met NCAA D1-A attendance criteria in 1994 in a season some thing was as exciting as any recent bowl year and that 1994 year that we met the criteria to be reclassified as a NCAA D-A school that became official in 1995.  

DID YOU EVER PONDER THIS?   Many of the schools who are now members of the SBC/Bottom 10 were only (in recent years) just out of a NCAA 1-AA classification.  For instance,  in our first bowl year (2001), NCAA 1-AA transitional school & future SBC member Troy U beat us at their place.  Had the Troy U Trojans been an official members of the SBC in 2001, they would have gone to the New Orleans Bowl instead of UNT. 

WHATS WITH THESE GOL' DARNED "LESS THAN 5 YEAR OLD" FLORIDA UNIVERSITIES THAT KEEP POPPING UP ON UNT'S FOOTBALL SCHEDULE? Not talking about new SBC members FAU and FIU this time around, but rather the U of South Florida who also beat us in that same bowl year of 2001, 28-10.  So its hardly a case that we only just lose OOC games to the Texas' or Oklahoma's as some have said on this board in their defense of UNT football mediocrity and who hath wrought all of that.

But with DD,  its moreso a combination of events that reared their ugly heads during this football season that became a revelation to many that maybe we had been wearing those green-tinted glasses a bit too long when we all gave ourselves good recruiting class grades the last 3 year that just did not translate onto the football field this Fall.  And all that materialized with strategic losse to Tulsa U and La Tech, 2 schools we compete with heavily in recruiting every year.  Those 2 schools many were using as a barometer of where our football program really stood and we fell way below expectations against the Tulsa U Golden Hurricane and the Bulldogs from Ruston.

A loss to another Sunshine State school less than 5 years old (I believe) was a big bucket of cold water thrown in the faces of many of our NT alums and fans with a 2005 football season loss to Florida Atlantic U, which was (in fact) the 2'nd year in a row we lost to a new SBC member who were not even yet fully classified in NCAA D1-A.  The first loss to a (then) NCAA D1-AA FAU was in a bowl year for UNT, too, and that being in 2004 when we hosted Schnellenberger's team at Fouts Field.  

Then, our way "too close" for comfort win over another Sunshine State school less than 5 years old and that over Florida International U (and even a close game with their 8 turnovers).  More red flags concerning 2 Florida SBC football programs who were 5 years old.  How long has UNT been playing football?  How about since 1913?

Maybe the most "tell-tell' sign that a Dickey-led UNT football program was not progressing (as previously thought) were our last 2 bowl gamel losses to CUSA' 4'th place teams, ie, Memphis and Southern Miss.  Folks, if you lose in a bowl game to CUSA's 4'th place team that (somewhat) speaks volumes about Mean Green football and where it stands compared to 118 other NCAA D1-A schools.  

For those who love SBC/Bottom 10 football, Darrell Dickey is the man.  He will more than fit the bill, but I know a helluva' bunch of NT old timers and young gun alums from the 80's,  90's and beyond who will not for long continue buying into that level of disguised success. 

GOD BLESS TEXAS!

I know, a shamless bump, but I think some outside GMG.com need to know that not all of us have our heads buried in the sand concerning Darrell Dickey and his leadership with Mean Green football. NOTE: Sorry about some poor proof-reading on my part with some of the words that I incorrectly spelled.

GOD BLESS NORTH TEXANS WHO HAVE SEEN THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE UGLY OF NT FOOTBALL! WHAT DO YOU ALL SAY WE OF UNT GIVE OURSELVES THE CHANCE TO GET BACK TO THE GOOD BUT ON A HIGHER LEVEL NEXT TIME AROUND? BUT......NT BOARD OF REGENTS, WE NEED YOUR HELP IN ALL THIS--THE BALL IS NOW IN YOUR CORNER.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

OK, guess I need to start calling and sending real letters to the board asking them not to do anything stupid just yet.

I'm sure I can get a group to send some real letters of their own.

biggrin.gif

When you consider this is a UNT Board of Regents that don't even question the 17 year under. 500 record of a UNT Lady's Eagle basketball coach, does anyone really expect this Texas public university decision-making group to move so quickly on DD's contract that they kept on rubber-stamping extensions to even in light of our beating up on "wussy" SBC/Bottom 10 schools to get to 4 bowl games in a row (3 of which we lost)?

I haven't from the beginning felt this NT Board of Regents would do anything after Saturday, but you have hope above all hope that somebody on that Board would suddenly have their light switch come on, too, and say: "Lets take yet another look at all this with DD, collegues. First question we should ask distinguished collegues is: "How in the hell do we package and market Dickey Ball in the SBC/Bottom 10 in 2006" (Yes, regents will start calling it Dickey Ball).

Most all of us who see no signficant improvement from DD in light of key losses to schools we once thought we reigned over only have to read the NT football media guide to see how be became so successful. Some would suggest our NT Board of Regents grap a copy of a media guide to do some research of their own.

Actually many will be much more interested to see what this NT Board of Regents group will do after the 2006 football season when you can expect most of the following to happen:

(1) No fan bashing at all on the radio from DD because most of of the NT Board of Regents will be aware (more than ever) of this having happened. Who knows one of our Regents might even suggest DD go take Broadcast Public Relations 101 over at TWU.

(2) A UNT team who would have had its worst recruiting in DD's tenure this February because even some of our Texas HS phenoms who saw Dickey Ball on TV a couple times this season don't see much in the area of progress with Mean Green football and (as always) their personal witnessing of much offensive confusion and havoc because of DD's indecisive play calling. How many real bonafide Texas HS QB recruits do you know who would want to come run a Dickey Ball style of offense as it is? How many NCAA D1-A schools are you aware of that run a similar offense to what we have run most of the last 8 years?

(3) A big SMU loss at Fouts Field in 2006 (maybe even worse than our worst home loss in UNT football history which was a Dickey-led football team vs Tulsa U several weeks ago back in September); anyway, it will be that loss that will cause a flood of NT fans to wonder why in the hell post-ASU loss (yesterday) they wanted to push and campaign for all of this with Darrell Dickey yet another year.

Such performances in 2006 will have some NT Board of Regents running to hide in the Chancellor or Presidents suites at Fouts Field next Fall and many of them probaby even denying to numerous concerned longtime fans (who are still hanging around all this) why they wanted to keep persevering all this SBC/Bottom 10 mediocrity from their boy, Darrell Dickey.

Anyone in the NT Community or the NT BOR's can talk 4 bowl games till the cows come home, but the local, regional and national sports media (and Texas HS football recuits) will no more be buy into any of that from them as they will Darrell Dickey (and I'm sure) a completely revised staff of assistants in the next coming weeks as they try to get one DMN Area Top 100 kid to list us over La Tech or Tulsa.

AN NCAA RECORD ON THE NEAR HORIZON AT UNT: (5) Darrell Dickey and UNT will set an NCAA record of a head football coach's length of employment at one school with (still) a sub .500 W/L record. Any of you know who we would supplant to get their record? No, you can't count Lady Eagle's BB Coach Tina Slinker's 17 year career at UNT with still an under .500 W/L record with this trivia question.

(4) Oh hellsbells, there a many more that I could add to this list, but my keyboard has started smoking--so I guess I better stop for now. wink.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen