Who can we build this team around?

meangreen11

Problems at Qb- Meager, Phillips, JUCO, Carson Coffman????

We will still be set a rb with J-mo and Robertson backing up and Henderson at FB

The O-line should be much improved one would think.

Playmakers. That sums up the WR spot with Quinn and B. Jackson.

TE Charley Brown will step up as a soph.

On D

Saftey spots are good with Weathers and Warren

CB lots of speed but very young

LB- WOW almost to many people

DE- Chapman, Gilmore, Ransom. We need some development in the offseason

DT- Depends on Thomas and Raymond. Miller will have to develop as a soph

It will be intresting to see what DD does in the JUCO ranks this year

QB.

The only problem I have with building around the QB, is our QB. I don't think Meager is a leader. In fact, I am very hard pressed to find someone on this team this season that shows leadership we can build around.

In a perfect world you're right QB should be what we build around. It helps to have a rushing champion in the backfield.

Washington was moved to DB. He doesn't have the size to play LB.

H-town, please tell me why you think the OL will be better. We had a ton of experience returning this year with Lineberry, Foster and May. Burrus also played some until mono sidelined him last year. The only real new face was Rose. Well, we will graduate May and Lineberry, our best lineman, may be gone if his academics aren't on course. The OL is the most disappointing position to me this year. They have never really jelled, are, as a group, undersized and have been manhandled in many games.

The only problem I have with building around the QB, is our QB.  I don't think Meager is a leader.  In fact, I am very hard pressed to find someone on this team this season that shows leadership we can build around. 

I think it's hard to evaluate the leadership abilities of a redshirt freshman at this point, personally. But IMO there's no doubt that the offense needs to be built around the QB--whoever it is.

I'm all for giving Meager every chance to succeed. 1 season as a freshman isn't sufficient.

Washington was moved to DB.  He doesn't have the size to play LB.

H-town, please tell me why you think the OL will be better.  We had a ton of experience returning this year with Lineberry, Foster and May.  Burrus also played some until mono sidelined him last year.  The only real new face was Rose.  Well, we will graduate May and Lineberry, our best lineman, may be gone if his academics aren't on course.  The OL is the most disappointing position to me this year.  They have never really jelled, are, as a group, undersized and have been manhandled in many games.

Having a freshman as the leader of your offensive line is huge. I don't think it's any coincidence that the O-Line has gotten better as the season has progressed and Rose has progressed.

I expect the O-Line to be solid next year.

I agree that Rose has progressed and I'm excited about his future here, but if Lineberry doesn't return we will have many holes to fill. The group this year had game experience, much more than next year's team will, and has never really jelled. What makes you believe that next year's unit will jell quicker than this years when they have less game experience?

I like Foster's mean streak, but a 268lb. offensive tackle is way undersized. I would switch him back to defense and add some beef to the OL.

Now that is good news.  Let's find some pissed off big boys to fill in around Rose and Lineberry.

I agree that a bit more surleyness would be in order for our OL. However, we need MUCH MORE depth AND BEEF than we currently have. Of all the "back-ups" listed on the game program this year only Banks weighs over 300. The remainder are 280, 270, and 244?!?!? ohmy.gifsad.gif

Edited by SilverEagle

Korey Washington was a QB in highschool right?  Is there a reason they moved him to LB and not at QB and has he been playing regularly this season?  Did they even try him out at QB in practice?  Haven't really payed that much attentention.

They tried him out at DB before switching him to reciever, where he can use his 4.4 speed to the greatest advantage. He never got a shot at QB to my knowledge, and I'm not sure how his arm looks. Not sure I'd want a 5'10 guy at QB, either.

All, we're talking about working around is offense. What about the defense? They surely need to find a leader next season and what is the biggest + on defense from this year? We really aren't getting burned on the corners nearly as much as we were in the past this season, but is that only because the interior is weaker than in years past?

I haven't seen the guy throw a single ball, so I couldn't tell you. What I do know is a quarterback who is half a foot shorter than the guys in front of him is going to have serious sight line issues.

But then again, Doug Flutie was 5'10, 180, so what the hell do I know?

I haven't seen the guy throw a single ball, so I couldn't tell you.  What I do know is a quarterback who is half a foot shorter than the guys in front of him is going to have serious sight line issues.

But then again, Doug Flutie was 5'10, 180, so what the hell do I know?

Both Ken Washington and Greg Carter were about 5'9". Both excellent QB's