MGR Update

Harry

Guest JohnDenver

The Sun Belt Conference Championship certainly is within our grasp. North Texas may have been eliminated from the New Orleans Bowl, but if we win the next three games, we are guaranteed to be conference co-champions.

I am still holding out for that. Some may feel it is a bad showing to be co-champs with a losing record. I say no way. I want my Five-Peat long sleeve t-shirt to add to my yearly collection.

I am still holding out for that. Some may feel it is a bad showing to be co-champs with a  losing record. I say no way. I want my Five-Peat long sleeve t-shirt to add to my yearly collection.

I want the team to earn rings.

I want the program to be able to say that we were 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2005 Sun Belt Champions entering next season.

There was a 5 or 6 way tie for first place in the final year of the defunct Southwest Conference. Texas Tech may have gotten the Cotton Bowl invite, but everyone else still got rings and bragging rights.

I want the program to be able to say that we were 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2005 Sun Belt Champions entering next season.

There was a 5 or 6 way tie for first place in the final year of the defunct Southwest Conference. Texas Tech may have gotten the Cotton Bowl invite, but everyone else still got rings and bragging rights.

And I want Patrick to get his 5th ring.

Texas won the last Southwest Conference championship (1995) outright (7-0) which put them in the Sugar Bowl (where they lost to Va Tech). Texas Tech Tech went to the Copper Bowl among a 3 way tie for second....

I believe it was 1994 that you were thinking of (yes, it was a 5 way tie), but either way, stranger things have happened!

I would be happy to see another Sun Belt Championship... there is no reason we shouldnt win this league every year, but I digress.

A little trivia (without resorting to the 'net):

Guess who was the QB for SMU that year? biggrin.gif

Edited by Eagle1855

Texas won the last Southwest Conference championship (1995) outright (7-0) which put them in the Sugar Bowl (where they lost to Va Tech). Texas Tech Tech went to the Copper Bowl among a 3 way tie for second....

I believe it was 1994 that you were thinking of (yes, it was a 5 way tie), but either way, stranger things have happened!

I would be happy to see another Sun Belt Championship... there is no reason we shouldnt win this league every year, but I digress.

A little trivia (without resorting to the 'net):

Guess who was the QB for SMU that year?  biggrin.gif

Seeing as Ramon was QB for all of the 90s, I'll put my money on the SMU all time offense leader!

Good guess, and you would be correct (really wasnt a tough one, is suppose haha)... I dont think they were very good those years ... have they had a winning season since '86?

SMU went 6-5 during the 1997 season which was the springboard for DD(who was the SMU offensive coordinator) in getting the North Texas job the following year.

Good guess, and you would be correct (really wasnt a tough one, is suppose haha)... I dont think they were very good those years ... have they had a winning season since '86?

I think they have had one and it was 6-5, but I do not have the energy to look up SMU stuff online (I save that for Central Florida talk I guess)

What year was it where they could have gone to a bowl and a winless TCU team beat them on TV?

Why does so much of the last 17 years of SMU football blend together into one large mush ball?