So if the SunBelt has no 6 game winners...

Green Grenade II

Just wondering what the deal will be if none of the eight SunBelt teams is bowl eligible, what does the New Orleans Bowl do? I'd like your thoughts on this.

I always enjoy the tailgating, but Saturday was extra special! Congratulations to Adler, Sound Man, and all the entire Greenbackers team! That is what will keep me back for Homecoming and the November 26th season final vs Arkansas State!

I will be talking to Rick V tomorrow by phone or in person to let him know my digust with all the un-fan treatment, especially to FireFightin'Rick and his son.

We are the reason the games are played, and the ridiculous situation with the CSC bums has to change. Our football program is on the line. We cannot continue with the status qwo. It is time to bring enjoyment back to Fouts Field. Winning always helps, but I can tolertate a loss, but I will not tolerate what happened Saturday night! I don't have to. I can tear up my tickets and stay home.

The Sun Belt champ is guaranteed the spot unless they have a losing record AND there is a TIE for the Championship - in which the runner-up would go - only and ONLY if they have a winning record. In the case of a three way tie (regardless of record) - the Bowl Committee would choose the team (probably based on a number of things - how many people they could bring, their record, etc...)

In other words - if ULM and ULL both win the conf championship but ULL owns the head to head (and they are the ONLY two teams winning the championship) - then the committee will look at the other school to see if their record is any better. If it isn't, they will let the head to head champ go - even with a losing record. If it was a case like 2001, they would take a team with the better record.

In the case of a three way tie - which is very possible - the committee has complete control to pick whomever they want on whatever they think is better for the bowl. Lets say that ULL, ULM, and FIU tie for 1st place somehow - the comittee wil most likely look at OVERALL record - in which none would have the six wins. So they would factor in probable attendance - in which FIU would be knocked out of consideration most likely. Finally, they would see that the game is IN Lafayette this year (not New Orleans) and that there would be more Ragin Cajun fans that would likely show up then Indian fans and choose the home team. But if ULM came to the committee and guaranteed 20K tickets up front (something financially impossible for their program - but who knows, maybe it would be worth it for them... and the Cajuns will only guarantee the minimum of 7500, then the committee might choose to give ULM the slot - for monetary reasons alone.

I don't think it is anything to worry about, worst case scenario, one of our teams goes to the bowl with a losing record. Didn't end the world of football in 2001, and hey - they might win the damn game - so you never know till they play it. Best case scenario, ULL and ULM both hold their own destiny at this point, so that will be one hell of a game. It shows parity in the league and that is a good thing.. and a bad thing...

Finally - in summary - a team from the Belt WILL go to the New Orleans/Lafayette game - which team??? That has yet to be decided. It won't be North Texas, we are mathematically eliminated for a 2 way tie - there is an OUTSIDE CHANCE that we could find ourselves in a 3 way tie at the end - and we would be ELIGIBLE to be picked - but since we have been 4 years straight, most likely we wouldn't get picked. NOW - if the three way tie way between NT, FIU, and FAU - then we might have a chance, but that is mathematically impossible at this time.... so we would be fighting it out with ASU, ULM, ULL, MTSU, Troy, etc... all teams that could bring just as many people as us.... some of them (in state schools - ULL and ULM) could bring more, so they would get picked given the history. At a three way tie it is all subjective, and our odds are about 1% that we would get picked - unless the other schools somehow DECIDED that they didn't want to play in the bowl game with a losing record, but i don't think any SBC team would be that high and mighty - they will take a bowl game for a little money, a little exposure, extra practice time, and a chance for one last game of REDEMPTION against a CUSA opponent.

Sorry for so long winded - but it is a complex issue that has complex answers and I wanted to make sure that I covered everything tongue.gif

A 5-6 team going to a bowl game is the LAST thing this conference needs. It will just nail in our position as worst conference in Division I-A football.

Granted the New Orleans Bowl is contractially obligated to have a Sun Belt team in the game, but you have to think if they had the option of taking a 5-6 Sun Belt team or taking a bowl eligable team from another conference they would go for the bowl eligable team.

A 5-6 team going to a bowl game is the LAST thing this conference needs. It will just nail in our position as worst conference in Division I-A football.

Granted the New Orleans Bowl is contractially obligated to have a Sun Belt team in the game, but you have to think if they had the option of taking a 5-6 Sun Belt team or taking a bowl eligable team from another conference they would go for the bowl eligable team.

Wrong, we PAY for that slot. We own the freaking bowl. Heck, it is being held on the campus of UL in Lafayette. On paper the entities are separate but they are one in the same. Our conference UNDERWRITES that game, we all pay for it and we sure as hell aren't going to pay out of our small budgets to have another school from another conference play in our game - embarrasing or not. There will be a champion for the Belt - there might be co-champs, there might be tri-champs - there are rules set up for all 3 situations and EITHER WAY IT ENDS UP, no matter the record, the Sun Belt WILL have a rep in the bowl (even with a losing record if need be) - unless the NCAA turns down the waiver - which they cannot do - they guarantee that all conference champions are eligible to play in their appointed championship team bowl regardless of final record. If this was a SECOND Sun Belt Bowl, which would not include the champ - your arguement would be true and we would have to EAT the costs - and hope to sell the spot out to the highest bidder to recoup our investment... but since we only have ONE bowl, we WILL have a Sun Belt rep in the game, regardless of final record.

The Sun Belt champ is guaranteed the spot unless they have a losing record AND there is a TIE for the Championship - in which the runner-up would go - only and ONLY if they have a winning record.  In the case of a three way tie (regardless of record) - the Bowl Committee would choose the team (probably based on a number of things - how many people they could bring, their record, etc...)

In other words - if ULM and ULL both win the conf championship but ULL owns the head to head (and they are the ONLY two teams winning the championship) - then the committee will look at the other school to see if their record is any better.  If it isn't, they will let the head to head champ go - even with a losing record.  If it was a case like 2001, they would take a team with the better record. 

In the case of a three way tie - which is very possible - the committee has complete control to pick whomever they want on whatever they think is better for the bowl.  Lets say that ULL, ULM, and FIU tie for 1st place somehow - the comittee wil most likely look at OVERALL record - in which none would have the six wins.  So they would factor in probable attendance - in which FIU would be knocked out of consideration most likely.  Finally, they would see that the game is IN Lafayette this year (not New Orleans) and that there would be more Ragin Cajun fans that would likely show up then Indian fans and choose the home team.  But if ULM came to the committee and guaranteed 20K tickets up front (something financially impossible for their program - but who knows, maybe it would be worth it for them... and the Cajuns will only guarantee the minimum of 7500, then the committee might choose to give ULM the slot - for monetary reasons alone.

I don't think it is anything to worry about, worst case scenario, one of our teams goes to the bowl with a losing record.  Didn't end the world of football in 2001, and hey - they might win the damn game - so you never know till they play it.  Best case scenario, ULL and ULM both hold their own destiny at this point, so that will be one hell of a game.  It shows parity in the league and that is a good thing.. and a bad thing...

Finally - in summary - a team from the Belt WILL go to the New Orleans/Lafayette game - which team??? That has yet to be decided.  It won't be North Texas, we are mathematically eliminated for a 2 way tie - there is an OUTSIDE CHANCE that we could find ourselves in a 3 way tie at the end - and we would be ELIGIBLE to be picked - but since we have been 4 years straight, most likely we wouldn't get picked.  NOW - if the three way tie way between NT, FIU, and FAU - then we might have a chance, but that is mathematically impossible at this time.... so we would be fighting it out with ASU, ULM, ULL, MTSU, Troy, etc... all teams that could bring just as many people as us.... some of them (in state schools - ULL and ULM) could bring more, so they would get picked given the history.  At a three way tie it is all subjective, and our odds are about 1% that we would get picked - unless the other schools somehow DECIDED that they didn't want to play in the bowl game with a losing record, but i don't think any SBC team would be that high and mighty - they will take a bowl game for a little money, a little exposure, extra practice time, and a chance for one last game of REDEMPTION against a CUSA opponent. 

Sorry for so long winded - but it is a complex issue that has complex answers and I wanted to make sure that I covered everything  tongue.gif

I don't have the complete schedule in front of me, but I do have the conference standings and next weeks games from the DMN handy. So are you saying that it's not possible for every team other than NT to have 3+ losses? From what I am seeing it still seems to be a theoretical possibility. Not that I'm that much of a dreamer, but I am curious if this is still possible. Again, I don't have the entire conference schedule in front of me, but on the surface it still looks like it could POSSIBLY happen. wink.gif

I don't have the complete schedule in front of me, but I do have the conference standings and next weeks games from the DMN handy. So are you saying that it's not possible for every team other than NT to have 3+ losses? From what I am seeing it still seems to be a theoretical possibility. Not that I'm that much of a dreamer, but I am curious if this is still possible. Again, I don't have the entire conference schedule in front of me, but on the surface it still looks like it could POSSIBLY happen. wink.gif

Yes, like I said - it could happen - IN THEORY - but it would take some crazy losses - ULL to FIU, etc... and what that would ensure is that NT would be in a 3 way hunt for the bid - in which all of the others factors would come up - the fact that we have been 4 years in a row (bad, bad, bad) - the fact that the game would be in Lafayette and Lafayette would be eligible (they will secure that with one more win and they will win one more game)... there are just too many things going against us to get picked for the actual BOWL GAME - but on a POSITIVE note, lol, we would be the co or tri-champions and the team would all get a ring for this year, even though they would likely NOT play in a bowl game (much like MTSU did in 2001).. and we could THEORETICALLY say that we were the 5 time defending champions, but I wouldn't be able to say it with a straight face.

Yes, like I said - it could happen - IN THEORY - but it would take some crazy losses - ULL to FIU, etc... and what that would ensure is that NT would be in a 3 way hunt for the bid - in which all of the others factors would come up - the fact that we have been 4 years in a row (bad, bad, bad) - the fact that the game would be in Lafayette and Lafayette would be eligible (they will secure that with one more win and they will win one more game)... there are just too many things going against us to get picked for the actual BOWL GAME - but on a POSITIVE note, lol, we would be the co or tri-champions and the team would all get a ring for this year, even though they would likely NOT play in a bowl game (much like MTSU did in 2001).. and we could THEORETICALLY say that we were the 5 time defending champions, but I wouldn't be able to say it with a straight face.

No, what I was "proposing" was that it still looks possible for us two have only two losses while the rest of the league has 3 or more losses. Since this league is the epitome of parity, it doesn't really look like it would take any upsets for this to happen. It would just take a lot of luck and a run out by NT. Correct me if I'm wrong since I don't have the complete schedule in front of me.

No, what I was "proposing" was that it still looks possible for us two have only two losses while the rest of the league has 3 or more losses. Since this league is the epitome of parity, it doesn't really look like it would take any upsets for this to happen. It would just take a lot of luck and a run out by NT. Correct me if I'm wrong since I don't have the complete schedule in front of me.

Well, I guess you are right - but Lafayette only has 1 loss - and a couple of patsies on the schedule - they look to be the front runner with ASU slightly behind (would take a win at Army most likely)...

Here is a pretty good summation off the Belt board, the only thing that they got wrong is that MTSU could theoretically go 7-4 (not 6-5 as they projectd) if they win out. All other potential champs would be 6 win champs...

Post from SBC board:

So, as it stands right now:

UL-M: is at 3-5 needing to win out to have six wins against MTSU, NT, and UL-L.

(That lose to NWS really has come back to haunt them!)

ASU: sits pretty at 4-4 needing only 2 wins out of three against Troy, Army, and NT. (and the only team that need not win out to have 6 wins).

UL-L: at 4-5 needs to win against FIU and UL-M to get 6wins

Troy: also at 4-5 needs wins against ASU and MTSU

MTSU: at 3-4 needs to win out against UL-M, NCState, Troy, and FIU

So, from a non-partisan view, the best way for the SBC to get the most 6 win teams is: (4 total)

ASU wins against Troy and Army

Troy Beats ASU and MTSU

UL-M wins out against MTSU, NT and UL-L;

FIU wins out*

If UL-F wins against FIU and UL-M that'll give us (ASU, Troy and ULL at 6wins)

* Theoretically, FIU could get 6 wins by beating UL-L, WKU, FAU, and MTSU. Unfortunately, that would include 2 wins against 1AA, FIU is out of the SBC race (best they can fininsh in 4-3), and as a 2nd year transitional FIU is not allowed post season play. (still, I'll be cheering my ass off for them)

I'm sure you didn't think that way in 2001 when a 5-6 North Texas team went to the New Orleans Bowl instead of a 8-3 MT team.

SCOREBOARD

MTSU has NEVER beaten North Texas. You had your best shot this year and your team did not have the GUTS to do it. Face it, we OWN your ASS!!!

Just please get a Belt team in there. The last thing we need is for the committee to look North at LA Tech who just might be sitting at home with 6 wins. We need a SBC rep to rise up from these ashes and salvage what has been a VERY disappointing season.

GMG

I'm sure you didn't think that way in 2001 when a 5-6 North Texas team went to the New Orleans Bowl instead of a 8-3 MT team.

Keep your mouth shut until you beat NT. This WAS the year for your Blue Raiders to win...and you still choked at home. We'll buy the trash talk from Troy and ULL. I'll take the trash talk from every school in the SBC that wins against NT, but until your team wins or takes the SBC ring, keep your mouth shut.

Troy and ULL played a better game, period. MTSU gave up too many turnovers and didn't score when it should have against a tired defense.