Win Out, Win the Conference

shaft

Damn shaft, you beat me to it.

We control our own destiny. Period. I dont' care what the final score was tonight. (And good grief, LSU was determined to get 70 though weren't they. But they could have scored 100, the national championship is still not an option for them this year, regardless of their style points against us.)

Let's leave the SEC behind us for a moment. We made progress. The O-Line had their best game against the toughest D they've faced. Meager looked confident and poised. Jamario looked like Jamario. Quinn was Quinn. If ULaLa or Monroe or Ark St. don't win it this year, they might as well forget it.

Meager's improvement was my biggest positive from this game. That pass that got tipped when Quinn was at the goal line was a beautiful pass. I am excited about the rest of the season and next year.

Yeah yeah, I know, 56-3, blah blah. BEHIND US. I know Meager and the rest of the team has to feel confident and Patrick has to be psyching his team up for his 5th ring.

It's ours to lose. I hope there's 20K their next Sat. for the biggest game of the year. Then 20K the next game for the biggest game. Then 20K the next game for the biggest game. We could be clinching conference at home..........again. Wooweee! I can't wait to go to Fouts in November!!!

Freakin get excited people! This team looks like it's figuring something out.

We're going to do it, and get a rematch with Tulsa, and beat them too!

BTW, colonyeagle, kick-ass avatar, I love the office.

I would love a rematch with Tulsa - we could put it to rest once and for all whether this team improves throughout the year or if the competition just gets worse. It would answer a ton of questions that go round and round this board and I am now officially rooting for the rematch.

Last I looked sportsline projected UCF in the bowl (not sure why since they are tied for first), which would also be fun since I wasted 20 minutes of my life researching them the other day...

And, most importantly, yes, The Office rules.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

There were several nice quick 2-step-drop passes that were encouraging. I wish they would have tried one on 3rd down by the goal line. Too bad they didn't get in on that drive. (Thanks to Baz for an awesome kick to avoid a shutout.)

It appears that as we get deeper in the season the offense is able to execute on things that they could not before. I firmly believe that if the coach thought we could execute this kind of stuff before, we would have seen more of it.

Someone explain how we control our out destiny when we trail Louisiana Monroe by two games in the loss column?  We still need them to lose one game other than to us.

All that matters is the conference W/L record. If we win out and they only lose to us, we would each have one conference loss, and we would have the tiebreaker over them.

It's exactly what played out in 2001 with us and MTSU.

If we win out, we are 6-1 in conference and 6-5 overall. If ULM wins out (except for us), they too will be 6-1 in conference and 6-5 overall. I suppose if head-to-head is the 1st tie-breaker then we would win. Not sure what the rules are these days. I think the conference is looking for a different representative in the bowl game. Arkstfan will need to explain for us.

Keith

If we win out, we are 6-1 in conference and 6-5 overall.  If ULM wins out (except for us), they too will be 6-1 in conference and 6-5 overall.  I suppose if head-to-head is the 1st tie-breaker then we would win.  Not sure what the rules are these days.  I think the conference is looking for a different representative in the bowl game.  Arkstfan will need to explain for us.

Keith

I'm almost positive in case of a tie the NO Bowl picks the rep. No tiebreakers.

I'm almost positive in case of a tie the NO Bowl picks the rep. No tiebreakers.

Here's a post by Arkstfan with the UNT scenario before this week's games and Troy's lost to ULL. If we win out (6-1) with a 6-5 record we go to the bowl because of the win over ULM.

How UNT can win the title.

Finish 6-1. Win remaining four conference games. That clinches a share of the title and clinches a New Orleans Bowl berth UNLESS Troy wins out which would force a three-way tie and place the decision in the hands of the New Orleans Bowl.

Finish 5-2. Win 3 of 4 with ULM losing twice, ASU losing once more and Troy losing once more. 5-2 likely creates a multiple team tie. If the tie involves ASU, MTSU, Troy, or Louisiana, Lafayette UNT stays home unless they defeat LSU this weekend because each would be bowl eligible while UNT would only be bowl eligible with a win over LSU.

Games remaining: 3 home ULL, ULM, ASU 1 away FAU. Plus one non-conference game at LSU.

Edited by MeanGreen61

I am pretty sure Rob is right here.  Please refer to the 2001 MTSU is crying rule.

Head-to-head win PLUS being bowl eligible is a winner if two teams tie. Gotta be bowl eligible.

If ULM wins 3 of 4 but loses to UNT AND UNT finishes 6-1, the Indians would be co-champs but would miss the New Orleans Bowl UNLESS Troy ALSO finishes 6-1 which would result in a three-way tie placing the bowl berth decision in the hands of the New Orleans Bowl. (Troy has now lost two games)

Scroll down to Championship Scenarios

http://www.beltboard.com/

Edited by MeanGreen61

Let's win out then worry about tie-breaking rules.

I'm pretty sure NT would get the bid because of the head-to-head win. I think the Bowl only gets to pick if the conference champ has a loosing record, that was the rule adjustment made after the 2001 season.

I think the Bowl only gets to pick if the conference champ has a loosing record, that was the rule adjustment made after the 2001 season.

No, the Bowl gets to pick among the tied teams no matter the record. If anything, that might work against us at we've been 4 straight times. Or, it might work for us as they know we will show up!

No, the Bowl gets to pick among the tied teams no matter the record. If anything, that might work against us at we've been 4 straight times. Or, it might work for us as they know we will show up!

From October Ask the Commissioner HEAD TO HEAD & bowl eligible is the tie breaker if only TWO TEAMS. More than two, the committee picks.

=========

Ken: In the event three teams each have one conference loss, how is the Bowl representative determined? Is overall record the first tie-breaker?

Commissioner Waters: Head-to-head competition is the established tie breaker, but in the case of a multi-tie, The New Orleans Bowl Committee would get to choose -- assuming they are all bowl eligible (6 wins) .

=========

October Ask The Commissioner

http://sunbeltsportstv.nmnathletics.com/Vi...CRIBER_CONTENT=