Correct me if I'm wrong

TheColonyEagle

..............is shaping for what could be a special year.

Before we fire the whole coaching staff, AD, administration staff, janitors, and some GoMeanGreen posters, let's look at our timing.

I've been thinking. Is our non-conference schedule next year SMU and LaTech at home and on the road to Tulsa?

Combine that with pretty much the whole team coming back, one premier Junior running back, a more experienced QB, D-Line, Quinn's senior year, etc.

Could we not bounce back quickly next season?

I know we'll have a few holes to fill, but our non conference home attendance should average 25K to 28K.

It just seems the timing for a big 2006 is perfect. Will the conference chatter start back up after next season?

Maybe I'm stretching, but this time next year, we could be jumping up and down.

Before we fire the whole coaching staff, AD, administration staff, janitors, and some GoMeanGreen posters, let's look at our timing.

I've been thinking. Is our non-conference schedule next year SMU and LaTech at home and on the road to Tulsa?

Combine that with pretty much the whole team coming back, one premier Junior running back, a more experienced QB, D-Line, Quinn's senior year, etc.

I know we'll have a few holes to fill, but our non conference home attendance should average 25K to 28K.

It just seems the timing for a big 2006 is perfect. Will the conference chatter start back up after next season? 

As long as we get some OL who can block for our stud RB and more experienced QB, also replace our CB's

I hope you are right - but my only concern is I remember thinking the same thing this time last year when looking at the schedule, and the year before that when we had FAU and Baylor. If we are ever going to put this all together and real off 8 or 9 wins in the regular season, this is it.

Lets just spin a wheel and fire one athletic dept. employee or coach a week - everyone wins!

Ok, I'll bite on everything you predict except on thing. I'll believe 25-28k when I see it.

I hope you are right - but my only concern is I remember thinking the same thing this time last year when looking at the schedule

Wait a second now. In the Spring I was hear questions about first the youth, then the lack of experience in our Offensive line and a generally low number of returning starters. I can't remember when I heard of QB not making his grades, but I thought that was sometime over the summer.

This was suppose to be a "rebuilding" year from early on. The saving grace was it looked earlier like we were catching a break by getting some other teams when they were down also. Our down year just seems to be further down than theirs is.

If i remember right didnt we go 8-5 a couple of years ago and 9-4 the year after that ?

2002 8-5 NOB victory with Andrew Smith.

2003 9-4 NOB loss to Memphis. (our best team IMO)

Funny you say all this stuff about "wait till next year", because I was hearing the same schpiel last year from people who supposedly knew better than I did.

Had a 9-3 regular season in 2003 and finished 2002 at 8-5 with the bowl win over Cincy.

I meant to type 9 or 10 - damn work reports and rushing when the boss walked over here. My apologies for selling our boys short. And 9 was still wrong - so I just suck.

I agree the 2003 team was the best so far as well.

And yes, in the spring questions did pop up - as did many people making fools of themselves when people tried to make everyone aware of them. But last fall, everyone around the program was falling over themselves about how great the 2005 season would be.

the answer is we will lose our non-conference games (probably blow-outs again) and then struggle in the Belt again. how could we be any better?? its still the SAME GUYS...some will say that a years experience will make all the difference in the world...but come on, they wont be THAT much improved from this year, not enough to win. it all comes down to the coaches, playing style, and talent. we have none of the three. well we have coaches, but they are horrible, we have a playing style but its like watching paint dry, and we do have talent....high school talent. so there you go...we will suck again next year and the year after until things change around here.

I think you have hit on something here. Let's look at what next season could offer.

QB: Meager takes the nest step after a year of experience and off-season to get healthy.

RB: J-Mo is the man, No more of this "carry once here and once there" stuff. We have all seen what he does when he is THE man in the backfield. J-Mo will be back.

WR: No question..speed and skill. (Quinn, Covington, Muzzy, and Jackson)

TE: I really have no clue what DD does here? I think we finally see Brock Stickler make this move. The kid is strong and fast and could be a huge weapon.

OL: Here comes Adjani Banks (6-3/325), Chris Eidd (6-3/320), Jarrod Pruitt(6-4/310), Adam Venegas(6-3/305),and Chad Rose(6-3/285) has a year of experience under him at center. We get bigger and more athletic here guys.

DL: Isaac Thomas and TJ "Big Cat" Raymond at full strength and eligible. (I know, dont say it..fingers crossed is all I can offer right now) Willie Ransom appears to be breaking out at DE. Hopefully Gilmore will be as good when he gets some time.

LB: Not only are we fast, but have more experience. (Monroe, Graves, Mendoza, Holman, and my surprise player...Colt Mahan, who I would still move to SS)

DB: Deavin Cox and Dominique Green will be very fast corners. (not sure yet on how physical) Cotton and Weathers are good players, but I see Agbottah playing the free safety spot. We'll see... There are lots of potential difference makes I havent listed as we have a Mean Green Report for that.

Team looks pretty good for next year.. I feel good about our chances.

GMG!!!

I think you have hit on something here. Let's look at what next season could offer.

QB: Meager takes the nest step after a year of experience and off-season to get healthy.

RB: J-Mo is the man, No more of this "carry once here and once there" stuff. We have all seen what he does when he is THE man in the backfield. J-Mo will be back.

WR: No question..speed and skill. (Quinn, Covington, Muzzy, and Jackson)

TE: I really have no clue what DD does here? I think we finally see Brock Stickler make this move. The kid is strong and fast and could be a huge weapon.

OL: Here comes Adjani Banks (6-3/325), Chris Eidd (6-3/320), Jarrod Pruitt(6-4/310), Adam Venegas(6-3/305),and Chad Rose(6-3/285) has a year of experience under him at center. We get bigger and more athletic here guys.

DL: Isaac Thomas and TJ "Big Cat" Raymond at full strength and eligible. (I know, dont say it..fingers crossed is all I can offer right now) Willie Ransom appears to be breaking out at DE. Hopefully Gilmore will be as good when he gets some time.

LB: Not only are we fast, but have more experience. (Monroe, Graves, Mendoza, Holman, and my surprise player...Colt Mahan, who I would still move to SS)

DB: Deavin Cox and Dominique Green will be very fast corners. (not sure yet on how physical) Cotton and Weathers are good players, but I see Agbottah playing the free safety spot.  We'll see... There are lots of potential difference makes I havent listed as we have a Mean Green Report for that.

Team looks pretty good for next year.. I feel good about our chances.

GMG!!!

Good analysis - does this mean we can all agree on a benchmark the team should hit next year or else we ALL hold ALL the coaches accountable?

6, 7 ,8 ,9, 10? I'm open to suggestions...

I still lean towards the pessimistic role, but would love to be wrong next season. Blowout OOC losses next year would actually be worthy of the gloom and doom many on the board have preached for this year.

Does this upcoming roster have enough of an upgrade to reverse 2 blow out losses to La Tech and Tulsa? Do they win games without a combined 13 turnovers?

We could improve dramatically and still lose to Tulsa and La Tech by double digits. Say what you will about SMU (I know I have a few choice words), but they are competitive in most games against a conference we have struggled with. I fear the worst - but like I said, would love to be wrong.

Yes as long as he learns to keep the ball in his hand and off the ground. He has 3 straight games where we could have either put a nail in the coffin or got back into a game and he fumbled, maybe this is why he is now only getting sporadic carries.

Does this upcoming roster have enough of an upgrade to reverse 2 blow out losses to La Tech and Tulsa? Do they win games without a combined 13 turnovers?

See Baylor last year and the year before that. We blew them out 2 years ago, they handled us last year. Did their roster have a 1 year upgrade? College Football has a funny way of taking care of those situations.

I think the SMU game will break the Baylor game's attendance record. Plus 20K-22K for the La Tech game and we average 26K to 28K in OOC home games next year.

Call me overly optimistic, but it just seems to all come together for us next year.

There has to be a sense a quiet optimism within the athletic dept., that's why no one's hitting the panic button and doing any knee jerking yet.

They should just leave the knee jerking to us. tongue.gif

See Baylor last year and the year before that. We blew them out 2 years ago, they handled us last year. Did their roster have a 1 year upgrade? College Football has a funny way of taking care of those situations.

I think the SMU game will break the Baylor game's attendance record. Plus 20K-22K for the La Tech game and we average 26K to 28K in OOC home games next year.

Call me overly optimistic, but it just seems to all come together for us next year.

There has to be a sense a quiet optimism within the athletic dept., that's why no one's hitting the panic button and doing any knee jerking yet. 

They should just leave the knee jerking to us.  tongue.gif

Actually didn't Baylor prove they had a very dramatic one year upgrade - by reversing a 77-0 loss to TAMU and the big loss to us? They have gone nowhere but up in the last season and a half.

That was a pretty significant turnaround...I would love for us to make the same kind of step. I am sure Baylor felt the same way in 2003, but they were proven wrong. I do not want to debate - I want to be wrong here!!! As wrong as possible actually, I just do not see how I will be. All I meant was since we are so low right now we could improve and still lose those games next year.

No one is knee jerking - most of the anti-dickey faction did not reach this decision this year.

It's not called "funny", it's called coaching...

speaking of which, if we fire the OL coach and get someone in here who can teach technique we could be alright next year...other than that we have players who could be something special...

most of the so called "negative" people on the board knew that it was a rebuilding year, we just didn't know that we wouldn't even be competitive at all...

Edited by the green rokemi

I can handle rebuilding because it is to be expected, but I can't handle non-competitive, uninspired play.

I love the projection of the OL, but do you think Spring ball and Fall ball is enough time for DD to get them to gel? I'm still waiting for this unit to gel with game 7 looming.

DB: Deavin Cox and Dominique Green will be very fast corners. (not sure yet on how physical) Cotton and Weathers are good players, but I see Agbottah playing the free safety spot.

This will be our biggest question. Only two of these O line guys you listed will have any experience, and your leaving out Alexander who replaced Brown at the Tulsa game. Brown will also be back. Plus, should Lineberry graduate on time, we get him back as well.

Our best possible scenario here for an experienced O Line next year is: Alexander, Venagas, Rose, Lineberry(Possible that Brown moves over to guard next season if we lose Lineberry) and Foster. That gets us to an average of around a 300lb O line. Of course there is always the chance that one of the younger guys start in front of a veteran. Alexander replacing Brown this season shows that it does happen.

And as for the D backs, I just can't see how Steve Warren can be kept out of the lineup next season after getting to start as a true freshman this season? By years end he will be that much better if he gets over the concussion?

Rick

TE's dont look that bad...C Brown and Gilmore...Gilmore wants to be a TE and I was under the impression he backed away from UTEP because they wanted to make him a DE. As far as DB's go I think we redshirted the ex-QB from the Austin area...who can flat out fly, we also redshirted several OL this year. The kid center from Paris could move into the center position and push rose to guard. I know he is a bit undersized, but so was "you know who"...we need someone who is effective not just big.

looking forward to next year...but not as much as I'm looking forward to the rest of this year. IF this teams urns themselves around and put together 4 wins to end Sun Belt play, even if we dont win the belt, it will have shown some character.

Good luck boys at LSU.

NT-27

lsu-24

we shock the world...i love the greenweed!!!!

This will be our biggest question.  Only two of these O line guys  you listed will have any experience, and your leaving out Alexander who replaced Brown at the Tulsa game.  Brown will also be back.  Plus, should Lineberry graduate on time, we get him back as well.

Our best possible scenario here for an experienced O Line next year is: Alexander, Venagas, Rose, Lineberry(Possible that Brown moves over to guard next season if we lose Lineberry) and Foster.  That gets us to an average of around a 300lb O line.  Of course there is always the chance that one of the younger guys start in front of a veteran.  Alexander replacing Brown this season shows that it does happen.

And as for the D backs, I just can't see how Steve Warren can be kept out of the lineup next season after getting to start as a true freshman this season?  By years end he will be that much better if he gets over the concussion?

Rick

All true Rick. My understanding was that Lineberry was a senior and done after this year? Brown has had an off year and his rotation time has been pulled way back after getting removed from the starting lineup. I'm still not sure we start Foster at tackle again? He may show huge improvement with the remaining games, but he is a undersized and is getting pushed around pretty good now. Our conference opponents will be a better gage of how he is handling the starting role. As for the D., Steve Warren is a good player and will be in the rotation, but Gary Oubre is also in contention and I didnt mention him either. I havent seen enough of them yet to know where they fit? Warren and Oubre may be starters full time by next season. I'll let the MGR and Harry keep us up on that one in spring ball. I am also wonderring if Higgs moves to LB? Lots of good questions...I was just going by what I think as of today. STill not suer what we do at TE.

Great to be positive about next year's team though... We just have to make it through this season. Still a few games to be played this year, and I'm looking forward to those.

GMG!!!