---If DD left at end of season---

eulesseagle

Jeepers, open the job and cut the salary to $175,000 and you will still get around 150 applications or private contacts (from those not willing to be known to be looking).

There aren't many I-A jobs and loads of guys know that if they don't get the first one they'll never get one of their dream jobs.

Steve Roberts got about $100,000 pay raise leaving NW State for ASU and he still ain't getting $200,000 at ASU.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeepers, open the job and cut the salary to $175,000 and you will still get around 150 applications or private contacts (from those not willing to be known to be looking).

There aren't many I-A jobs and loads of guys know that if they don't get the first one they'll never get one of their dream jobs.

Steve Roberts got about $100,000 pay raise leaving NW State for ASU and he still ain't getting $200,000 at ASU.

Good points. Don’t get 100% bogged down in the base pay. Load the contract with incentives that basically pay for themselves if the team is successful and draws a large number of fans (see UTEP/Mike Price). Regardless you would have a lot of applicants, anywhere from up-and-comers to experienced coaches looking for another chance.

There is no replacement for DD at $220K. HOWEVER...If you are willing to take a chance, and want the offense opened up....find Kelvin Martin and give the reigns to him. Yeah, he had a little bit of a drug problem. He is supposedly over that now and is clean. If he could teach George Marshall to catch the stinkin ball...(and he also coached Johnny Quinn as a Freshman).. ANYTHING is possible. He would also bring instant attention to this program. Not sure whether that is a good thing or not, but there is no such thing as bad press on Sportscenter. Kmart also knows pro-style offenses having played in a couple of good ones. (Cowboys and Eagles).

Johnny Quinn and Roy Covington would become 1000 yard guys each.

I would hope we are able to keep Darrell Dickey, but Kmart would be my pick as a replacement. Especially at the price we could afford for a new head coach?

Okay...fire away. But, if you are going to shoot down my pick you have to have a suggestion of your own.

GMG!!!

You can hire many good coaches for $220,000. That comment and the rest of you post has caused you to lose all credibility.

I also think it would prudent for us to hire Patrick Cobbs (if he doesn't make it to the NFL). I hope Patrick goes to the NFL because he deserves the success, but if he doesn't, I'd love to see him teach other RBs. He's smart and he's a real student of the game. Pair him up with Major Applewhite and you've got a real interesting combination. Let Major be the HC and let Patrick be the OC. Between the two of them they could come up with some dynamite offensive schemes. Now if we could just talk Brad Kassell into retiring so that he can coach our defense.... biggrin.gif

You can hire many good coaches for $220,000.  That comment and the rest of you post has caused you to lose all credibility.

Jesus, Med, now you've gone and done it. You've lost all credibility according to UNTLifer! Better not ever post again. dry.gif

Seriously though, can we please be realistic here? Darrell Dickey is not going to be fired, nor does he deserve to be. No, not now and not after two more sun belt losses or whatever your magic number is.

some other names I would throw into consideration:

Greg Studrawa(OC at Bowling Green, #2 offense last year in the NCAA)

Chris Petersen(OC at Boise State)

Granted these two guys aren't from around here, so their pipeline with recruiting wouldn't be that great coming in, but other coaches have gone half way across the country and done successfully with recruiting.

Jesus, Med, now you've gone and done it.  You've lost all credibility according to UNTLifer!  Better not ever post again.  dry.gif

Seriously though, can we please be realistic here?  Darrell Dickey is not going to be fired, nor does he deserve to be.  No, not now and not after two more sun belt losses or whatever your magic number is.

Exactly. HAHA...yeah, I'm very concerened about this sudden loss of credibility. I have been, and will remain on the "Darrell Dickey" band wagon. I (along with many others here) believe he will right the ship, but it may not be this season. A four-time Bowl Game level coach gets patience from some of us. However, Lifer demonstrates what happens when the "What have you done for me lately" crowd gets fired up. We now have a winning tradition at North Texas, and that's basis enough to expect to win every year. Sure, but you can thank Darrell Dickey for that. I am simply a realist... No one sweeps their conference every season. Dickey-coached teams did it four years straight? Bobby Bowden, Joe Paterno, Bob Stoops, and Darrell Dickey. They all have down years, regardless of what conference they are in. If those fans can be loyal to their coaches during down years, I think we owe it to our FOUR TIME CONFERENCE COACH OF THE YEAR to be loyal also. There are some on this board who throw stones and want to chops heads, but I see no mention of where these "many good coaches for $220,000" are that can replace Coach Dickey? I dont see one out there unless we go asst. at another program (that's not better than a four time conf. coach of the year), or a prominant head coach from a high school with no skins on the wall. (still not as good as Dickey) FFR had a good list...but at what price? Todd Dodge would likely cost a lot more than $220K. (speculation of course)

Lifer, this is a board of opinions.. There is no "credibility" to gain or lose. You show the negativeness...now show us you can write something helpful. If you say Dickey has to go..okay. Tell us "Mr. Pillar of Credibility" who his replacement could be that would give you another four championships? In the meantime...Read Emmitt's post and get a grip. Darrell Dickey is not going anywhere. Oh, and by the way, Kelvin Martin is a great guy and a very good football coach. I and my son spent many summer practices talking to him and watching him work with our young receivers. (he even worked extra with Robert Harmon to make more of a receiver versus blocker out of him. I would say that paid off) We also got to spend a some time talking with Kmart at the Union. The man is a motivator and a proven winner. Yes, he made a mistake... and that may be an issue with him ever coaching again. If I'm the AD at North Texas and DD does leave my program, I serously consider giving Kelvin Martin a shot. Everyone deserves a second chance and that guy was something special with the players. (even Coach Dickey said so)I really dont know how that works as far as the NCAA rules. I do know this.. before you toss the credibilty card out again....try getting your point across with some form of reason? That's how most of us stay loyal when the team isnt having a good year. We have faith in Darrell Dickey...and you used to? Not so easy when the team is losing is it? No hard feelings..all are opinions.

I'm out.

GMG!!!

So far I think my 3 top choices would be Todd Dodge, Rick Neuheisel, or Deloach, in no order. I know that if we were, by some miracle of God, able to search for a new coach, it would cost more money. However, I will gladly open up my checkbook and give what I could.

I'll give med some credit.  Let's go with the all-drugs coaching staff.

HC: Kelvin Marting

WR: Michael Irvin

OL: Nate Newton

RB: Bam Morris

DC/LBers: Hollywood Henderson

DL: Leon Lett

man that would be soooooooooooooooooo awesome if those guys could coach at UNT, i mean the players would really like them...man i miss the great players of the cowboys past years.

...And if Nate Newton were our coach then the name "Mean Green" would make a whole lot more sense.

Motivation may be an issue. I can see it now in the locker room before game time:

Player 1: Hey don't bogart that blunt.

Player 2: Weren't we supposed to be somewhere? What's all that cheering outside?

Player 1: Oh man, I think we were supposed to kick off or something.

(chuckles and laughter)

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Med, I have been a faithful follower and typically pretty positive fan for I don't know how long. I'm not trying to get into a pissing match, but I just don't think we need to hire a man that was fired a few years ago for doing drugs a couple of nights before the opening game of the season. He knew what he was doing, I guarantee you it wasn't the first time he's done it, and because of his decision to do this knowing what could happen if he got caught, he turned his back on his players for selfish reasons.

I just don't want us to be affiliated with a HC that is a convicted drug user. Should he get a second chance as a coach? Sure. As a HC of a D1 school? IMHO, I don't think so and definitely not at the school he was fired from.

If you took the "credibility" comment wrong, I apologize. I just fear that NT is holding on to DD for too long and the result will be detrimental to the program.

I just fear that NT is holding on to DD for too long and the result will be detrimental to the program.

The DD faithful have blinders on, and do not consider what happens if we have two losing seasons. Plus they will not look at the last several seasons and realize DD was at best an average coach in a favorable situation.

Everything gets listed, like continued lack of discipline my biggest problem, poor adjustments, etc. There are many fans that have been on the fence waiting for DD to stop complaining and start being more competitive in OCC and now after four SBC Championships we have been sliding down hill the last two years. If it were not for Jamaro we would have had a losing season last year. And now the DD faithful are making up excuses this year and saying next year we lose more players. How long is a player eligible to play? My God people!

This year looks like we are really going down the crapper, and these fans that were on the fence are now convinced that it is time for DD to change his philosophy or leave. We witnessed the worst home beating in school history this year to Tulsa that now has a 3-3 record, and K-State set records against us. This is not the right direction, this is a big deal.

The bigger problem is our Football program overall, what can it take? What can UNT afford? Can we go down the tubes and still have the attendance we need for D1a? How does this change our chances for big donations? Folks the sky may be starting to fall and if we wait too long we won't be able to turn it around. I am not a big fan of DD nor do I hate him but I think his time here is done, I would rather get a new coach before we have to rebuild attendance and our recruiting strength gets completely killed. I don't want to read in the paper that UNT has requested an attendance wavier from the NCAA to get an extra year in D1a football.

The sooner we start looking the higher quality coach we will find, while he still has something to work with.

For the DD faithful would it take until UNT returns to D1aa for you to start thinking about getting a new head coach.

Motivation may be an issue. I can see it now in the locker room before game time:

Player 1: Hey don't bogart that blunt.

Player 2: Weren't we supposed to be somewhere? What's all that cheering outside?

Player 1: Oh man, I think we were supposed to kick off or something.

(chuckles and laughter)

No that my freind was funny.

The DD faithful have blinders on, and do not consider what happens if we have two losing seasons. Plus they will not look at the last several seasons and realize DD was at best an average coach in a favorable situation.

The DD haters have blinders on, and do not consider what happens if we have two or more losing seasons under a new coach. Plus they will not look at the last several decades and realze that our average coaches won 5.1 games a year in 1AA since 81 and DD has won 7.2 games a year in 1Asince 2001.