drc recruiting buzz

OldTimer

Recruiting buzz

08:44 PM CDT on Saturday, October 8, 2005

By TODD WILLS / The Dallas Morning News

This week's edition of Recruiting Buzz comes from Saturday's Texas-Oklahoma game at the Cotton Bowl:

Texas, the home team for the 100th Red River Rivalry game, invited several top recruits, including a number who have orally committed to the Longhorns. Included among their guests were Woodrow RB/LB Sergio Kindle, Kilgore DE Eddie Jones, Arlington Bowie QB Sherrod Harris, South Garland WR Phillip Payne, North Mesquite OL J'Marcus Webb and South Grand Prairie DE Brian Ellis.

More high school football

The Longhorns, who would like to give one of their final three or four offers to another quarterback, got Stephenville QB Jevan Snead to attend Saturday's game. Snead, No. 16 on Rivals.com's State Top 100 list, has orally committed to Urban Meyer and Florida.

Texas also invited several key juniors, including Plano East LB Keenan Robinson and South Grand Prairie OL Tray Allen.

There is other buzz aside from Texas-OU. Haltom LB Anthony Lewis, No. 8 on SportsDay's Area Top 100 list, took his official visit to College Station last week for the Texas A&M-Baylor overtime thriller. "It was a little more than I expected – in a good way," said Lewis of the trip.

Lewis did not orally commit to A&M afterward. He will take an official visit to South Bend, Ind., on Saturday for the Notre Dame-USC game. Lewis said he is also considering Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

While we're on the subject of recruiting, I noticed in today's DMN that 8 of the area's top 100 have either committed or indicated interest in attending Tulsa. Makes me wonder if our Tulsa game helped them out more than us.

I also noticed two recruits listed Arkansas State as possibilities.

As usual, no one listed UNT.

You were not really wondering that, were you????? blink.gif

Also, shocked there about NT not having anyone listed... wink.gif

Well, I don't know if all TEN (I mis-counted on my previous post) of those guys were considering Tulsa prior to getting our ass kicked by them or not...so yes, I was really wondering if any of those kids were swayed toward TU because they handed us our collective asses on a platter.

For just once, it would be nice to open up the Sports page and see one or two of the area top 100 (it could even be 99 and 100) considering UNT. I mean, seriously...what are teams like Arkansas State, SFA, NMSU and LaTech doing that we're not?? I know Duke and Indiana play in better conferences than the SBC but shouldn't we be able to recruit players considering those schools?? Duke has 4 prospects interested in them and Indiana has 2. Two years ago you hardly saw anyone considering UTEP. Now, after one winning season, they've managed to change conferences and have 12 recruits considering them. We're not even in the same recruiting category as SMU either...there are 14 (Area Top 100) players that list SMU as a possibility...and I'm sure that number will increase after their come-from-behind victory over UAB.

What exactly is our recruiting strategy?? Wait until after signing day and try to get best of what's left??

One (1) of the DMN state wide 100 lists  NT as a prospect.  One (1) of the DMN area 100 I understand has been contacted by NT, but doesn't at this time list NT.

Well, I don't know if all TEN (I mis-counted on my previous post) of those guys were considering Tulsa prior to getting our ass kicked by them or not...so yes, I was really wondering if any of those kids were swayed toward TU because they handed us our collective asses on a platter. 

For just once, it would be nice to open up the Sports page and see one or two of the area top 100 (it could even be 99 and 100) considering UNT.  I mean, seriously...what are teams like Arkansas State, SFA, NMSU and LaTech doing that we're not??  I know Duke and Indiana play in better conferences than the SBC but shouldn't we be able to recruit players considering those schools??  Duke has 4 prospects interested in them and Indiana has 2.  Two years ago you hardly saw anyone considering UTEP.  Now, after one winning season, they've managed to change conferences and have 12 recruits considering them.  We're not even in the same recruiting category as SMU either...there are 14 (Area Top 100) players that list SMU as a possibility...and I'm sure that number will increase after their come-from-behind victory over UAB.

What exactly is our recruiting strategy??  Wait until after signing day and try to get best of what's left??

One (1) of the DMN state wide 100 lists  NT as a prospect.  One (1) of the DMN area 100 I understand has been contacted by NT, but doesn't at this time list NT.

Well, that's great news!! Is this state-wide recruit also from the area...thus being the same person?? Or are we talking about two different individuals?? And why would he not list UNT as a possibility?? Did the UNT coaches make him swear to secrecy out of fear some other school would come along and sway him to their university??

Well, that's great news!!  Is this state-wide recruit also from the area...thus being the same person??  Or are we talking about two different individuals??  And why would he not list UNT as a possibility??  Did the UNT coaches make him swear to secrecy out of fear some other school would come along and sway him to their university??

The state wide recruit is from East Texas, why the area prospect doesn't list NT? It is my understanding that NT tells players they are recruiting not to tell anyone NT is recruiting them. It comes from having BCS schools when they lose a late prospect, from"raiding" one of our prospects....We lost at least two recruits in the last recruiting week last season, one to TCU and the other to I think Iowa state.

It is my understanding NT coaches can't make an offer of a ship until DD does a home visit with the prospect which comes after the FB season ends.

It is my understanding that NT tells players they are recruiting not to tell anyone NT is recruiting them.

This says something about our program. What exactly?? I have no idea.

But if I'm a high school recruit and I'm told not to tell anyone that UNT is recruiting me, I'll probably do just the opposite.