Bomar & Meager...

BIG DAWG

Watching that Texas/OU game made me see our season from a different perspective.

Bomar is going to be a good QB, but he looked just like MEAGER today.

The comparison is relavent to. Texas is to OU competition wise what Troy is to us.

OU is going to screw around with rotating QB's, they are going to take their lumps, and get their team ready for 2006.

THE SAME THING WE SHOULD DO, AND ARE DOING!

Do not mess around with switching QB's, let Meager take his lumps and get ready for 2006.

Seriously, did Bomar not look exactly like Meager today? Overthrow, underthrow, scramble a little bit, make SOME solid throws.

I think Bomar will be good, I think Meager will eventually look good, but today's game made me a little bit more comfortable with our guy.

That being said, I wish Mack Brown would have hung 70 on them.

The main reason Bomar looked so awful was because his team was playing the #2 team in all of the nation. Difference is that Meager looked awful against the #2 team in the Sun Belt.

The #2 team in the country wasn't exactly in his face when he threw balls 5 yards shy of the feet of his RB. Your point is taken, but Bomar DID help me see that other programs are having to deal with similar O problems as our's.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind having their D. tongue.gif

Phillips had one shot, and he threw a TD against K-State, too.

Against triple coverage and a third string defense. It was a pass that could have been just as easily picked off.

I will throw out my same argument that I had about Byerly last year. If Phillips was anything, he would be playing. There is no other reason for him not to be playing.

If he had a CHANCE of making us play any better he would be in there right now. He would atleast had been given some playing time.

HIM NOT PLAYING SHOULD TELL US ALL HOW HE IS HANDLING THE COLLEGE GAME, NO VERY WELL.

Remeber it is not like we were falling all over our selves trying to recruit this kid. If he was a college QB he would have been signed. We picked him up after national signing day was well over.

The main reason Bomar looked so awful was because his team was playing the #2 team in all of the nation. Difference is that Meager looked awful against the #2 team in the Sun Belt.

Texas is a team OU is supposed to compete with, was my point. Texas is a team that is on their level. Troy is on our level was the second part of my point.

The kid is going to be here for us, I just wish we could all be around for him.

All points well taken, but we are asking QB Meager to be the next Joe Namath behind the same offensive line that is presently not allowing much success for 2 Mean Green RB's who have given our school more national publicity than anyone I can remember in 30 plus years of following all this. (Here's hoping that our NT offensive line will still mesh before this season is done).

We need Meager to stay healthy this year so he can get us ready for next year AND............Dickey and company need to desparately recruit 2 or more notable JUCO offensive linemen who can be enrolled this January.

Against triple coverage and a third string defense.  It was a pass that could have been just as easily picked off.

I will throw out my same argument that I had about Byerly last year.  If Phillips was anything, he would be playing.  There is no other reason for him not to be playing.

If he had a CHANCE of making us play any better he would be in there right now.  He would atleast had been given some playing time. 

HIM NOT PLAYING SHOULD TELL US ALL HOW HE IS HANDLING THE COLLEGE GAME, NO VERY WELL.

Remeber it is not like we were falling all over our selves trying to recruit this kid.  If he was a college QB he would have been signed.  We picked him up after national signing day was well over.

Texas is a team OU is supposed to compete with, was my point.  Texas is a team that is on their level.  Troy is on our level was the second part of my point.

The kid is going to be here for us, I just wish we could all be around for him.

I want to start off by saying that Meager is probably the best option that we have as a QB......for now anyway.

Just because Phillips is not out there (as a true freshman) doesn't mean that he doesn't hava a lot of ability. Meager is a year ahead of him in learning the system.

On the other hand, just because a coach goes with a particular player doesn't mean that that coach is the best judge of talent. Does anyone remember when Sims and Applewhite were on the same team? Mac Brown couldn't wait to get Sims out there, in spite of the fact that Applewhite was the one who was the better leader......and winner. Remember how Applewhite finally came into the game against Colorado and dug Texas out of a hole? In that situation (being able to choose the best QB), Mac Brown was absolutely a lousey judge of QB talent.

Now, since someone is comparing Bomar and Meager, I have an observation about that. There was some discussion a few days ago about how our coaching staff doesn't want Meager to run the option, or go scrambling, for fear that he would get hurt. That didn't seem to bother Bob Stoops about Bomar. If Bomar was his best QB option, then why did he allow him to make play after play with his feet, and risk getting dismembered by a very tough Texas defense?

And while I'm at it, if the North Texas coaching staff is so afraid of Meager getting hurt, then why is it that they have such a brutal fall practice...where the QB's are not protected? I seem to remember that Dickeys' philosophy is "well, injuries happen, that's just part of football".

If he truely believed that then why doesn't he let Meager make plays with his legs?There were probably many times during the Troy game that he could have made first downs and kept drives alive with his running ability.

I just don't understand it.

Edited by SilverEagle

I agree, Bomar looked awful. It just confirms some of the rumblings I heard from a friend of mine who is an OU alum and former OU player that Bomar was overrated in High School.

Chad Henne was a true freshman last year for Michigan and looked light years ahead of Bomar.

Why can't we expect our coaches to prepare NT QB's to play like Chad Henne? Especially, guys who've had one year under their belt?

Remember how Applewhite finally came into the game against Colorado and dug Texas out of a hole? In that situation (being able to choose the best QB), Mac Brown was absolutely a lousey judge of QB talent.

I understand what you are saying here but that move was all about life after college football. Mack had to play Simms to get him exposure for NFL scouts, even though he wasn't the most talented QB on the team.

Now, since someone is comparing Bomar and Meager, I have an observation about that.  There was some discussion a few days ago about how our coaching staff doesn't want Meager to run the option, or go scrambling, for fear that he would get hurt.  That didn't seem to bother Bob Stoops about Bomar. If Bomar was his best QB option, then why did he allow him to make play after play with his feet, and risk getting dismembered by a very tough Texas defense?

And while I'm at it, if the North Texas coaching staff is so afraid of Meager getting hurt, then why is it that they have such a brutal fall practice...where the QB's are not protected? I seem to remember that Dickeys' philosophy is "well, injuries happen, that's just part of football".

If he truely believed that then why doesn't he let Meager make plays with his legs?There were probably many times during the Troy game that he could have made first downs and kept drives alive with his running ability.

I just don't understand it.

I don't understand all this crap about our coaching philosophy either. Although I can't remember one making positive yards, Bomar is even allowed to call audilbles.

If Meager was truly told not to run and the reason is because coaches are fearful he'll get hurt, then what the hell is doing back there anyway?? This is college football. College QBs run the ball. From everything I've read the last few days, it sounds like Meager's head is so full of the crap he is not allowed to do that he can't relax and utilize his natural talent and intuition. Instead of insisting he NOT run the ball, maybe they should work on ways to help him avoid a big hit??

I agree with you on most things, Dawg, but I must take issue with a few things you said.

Against triple coverage and a third string defense.  It was a pass that could have been just as easily picked off.

I saw the replay of that TD, and there was no triple coverage. If anything, it was a VERY loose double coverage. BUT, Johnny had three steps on both of them, and the ball was thrown perfectly. If that was a pass that "could just as easily been picked off," then you can say the same about any throw.

I will throw out my same argument that I had about Byerly last year.  If Phillips was anything, he would be playing.  There is no other reason for him not to be playing.

Let me assure you... from what I saw during EVERY two a day practice, the difference in Phillips and Meager is razor thin. Meager's redshirt seems to be the only reason why he's the go to guy right now. Without that, it is literally a toss-up between he and Phillips. I know Coach Dickey wants to get both of them time. He's said as much in interviews and reports. But the time needs to be right, and I'm sure Coach Dickey would tell you exactly the same thing if you asked him.

If he had a CHANCE of making us play any better he would be in there right now.  He would atleast had been given some playing time.  HIM NOT PLAYING SHOULD TELL US ALL HOW HE IS HANDLING THE COLLEGE GAME, NO VERY WELL.

I don't think we should take Phillips' not playing as a sign of him not being able to play. He is definitely talented, and ten minutes watching a pass skel, team drill, or scrimmage would tell you that. He has far and away a stronger arm than Meager, but he's not nearly as mobile, and he has a year less in the system. I think we'll see Phillips before the season is over. That said, I also believe that, without risking a game to see for sure where Phillips is, Meager gives us the best chance to win. That's not to say he's necessarily better than Phillips, but only that he knows the system.

Edited by illuvius32

Watching that Texas/OU game made me see our season from a different perspective.

Bomar is going to be a good QB, but he looked just like MEAGER today.

The comparison is relavent to.  Texas is to OU competition wise what Troy is to us.

Totally agree. Freshman QB. Suspect/Green OL. It's deja vu all over again... laugh.gif

Anybody see Alex Smith of the 49ers yesterday? What about Eli Manning last year? Troy Aikman his first year in Dallas? Bomar for OU?

Sure Meager has struggled, but I'm not ready to throw him under the bus. He is a good athlete, is mobile and was recruited by a number of highly ranked programs prior to his injury in HS. It is growing pains, moving up to the collegiate game, along with playing behind a line that hasn't provided much protection that has him struggling at this point.

I liked the fact that he kept after it against Troy and scored late in the game. I believe Meager will be okay, but the running game that was supposed to take the pressure off of our young QB has not materialized due to problems with the OL.

I think this goes back to what's been said a few times on other threads...

DD doesn't let Meager run or audible.

I know as a freshman, Meager shouldn't necessarily be allowed to audible, since he's still learning the system. But I do think the coaches should be working on it and should allow him to audible at least his junior and senior years, and if he takes to it, the end of his sophomore year.

Also, Meager is very mobile. His scamper for the TD late in the game against Troy illustrates that. But others have posted that Meager got chewed out for running on that play. Why? We don't really know what kind of talent Meager has because he's being shackled by so many "don'ts."

I'm not saying Meager is the best QB we've ever had, nor am I saying he's the worst. What I'm saying is that the coaches aren't really letting him play the game naturally - he's having to think too much. It's kind of like caging a wild cat - the cat doesn't know what to do with itself because all of a sudden it's boxed in. So it sits around and gets fat and lazy.... that or drives itself crazy.

Whether or not the coaches are doing the right thing by "caging" Meager right now, only time will tell...

I would say that Meager looks 5 times better than Bomar. I really don't see what anyone sees in Bomar. That kid has looked like he did saturday in all of the games he has played this season. As a good friend of mine told me on saturday who lives in OK City and is a sooner fan, if Bomar is in deed getting better, than it is not hard to get better when you start at total crap.

Seriously, I think Meager looks a lot better than Bomar

I'm afraid "time is telling." There seems to be serious flaws in our game preparations. Not only are we not making adjustments during the game, we don't have an overall game plan to match our talent level. Losing our Center from last year seems to be a major problem since he functioned like a coach on the field and helped determine blocking assignments. I'm sure Rose will improve over time, but meanwhile..........

Think back to 2002. Against TCU our RS Freshman QB, Andrew Smith, was something terrible like 13-33. Hiram Gonzalez came into the game with about two minutes left in the game and threw a 70 yard touchdown pass. Should Hiram have taken over for the rest of the season?

Nope. But thinking back on that game, I remember how awesome our defense really was. For a couple of years there, the defense was more exciting than any offensive production I've seen since...including some of the Jamario/Patrick runs.

We played respectable games against top 10 non-conference teams then too, I hope we're on our way back.