OK, I watched the tape

TheColonyEagle

I know this is all old news by now...........

My friend I was sitting by at the game used to be a coach. As a matter of fact, he has scouted Daniel Meager. We were talking about the team and his comment was, "there appear to be some athletes out there, but they just don't look like they know how to play football yet." I totally agreed with him. There was just something about the way they looked/acted. Most of the young players looked lost at times. Especially on the defensive side of the ball.

I also don't understand why we don't run the option more. He told me when he was scouting Pearce, all they concentrated on was the speed option. Meager appears to have some serious wheels. I didn't realize he was that fast, but he is. I don't know if the o-line is not ready for that or not. It just seems to me we're not using Meager's abilities. But maybe there's a reason, I don't know. I know Meager looked awful at times Tues. but there were other times I thought he looked pretty good in the pocket. I hope he figures it out throughout the season. He and Jamario could be pretty special next year.

*We can't tackle.

*Our front 7 on D appear to have some speed, but it looks to me like they need to hit the weight room. They don't look as strong to me. Maybe they're young and haven't gained the weight yet. As far as speed goes, (and this may be a stretch now) the total unit could potentially be close to Kennedy, Awasome, Daniels, McIver, Spencer, Hurd, and Casey. (I'm talking about total unit) But they are no where near as strong. When the running back hits the line of scrimmage and there's 2 or 3 more yards to go before he runs into a green jersey, they are getting pushed around way too much.

*Maurice Holman, Brandon Monroe, and Jeremiah Chapman seem like a pretty good group to build our front 7 around.

*Aaron Weathers is not only the defensive MVP so far, he's the team MVP

*Jamel Branch is still the most overrated player of DD's tenure

*I wonder what the pool is up to as ESPN to keep showing Eric Russell as Darrell Dickey at the start of the games. This is about the 10th time in a row. They have to have a bet going or something

*In the last 5 games (including S. Miss) J. Quinn has mufffed 3 punts I know of (I'm thinking there was a 4th one in there somewhere but I can't remember exactly when)

*Dave Barnett is about the best there is. Man is he good. I really enjoyed the call with him and Craig James. I thought James did a good job as well.

*The interview with Haden Fry may have done more for the athletic program as a whole than winning that game would have.

*Did I mention I don't know if I've ever seen worse tackling

*Our players still run their mouths too much

*Our receivers are small

*Truman Spencer may eventually be better than any punter DD's had. He had some beauties Tues. night

*Nick Bazuldua made his first field goal of the year in the 4th game.

*I guess we'll never get rid of the "throw the ball Dickey!" calls from the stands. I really loved it when I heard a really loud "throw the ball Dickey" right before Meager threw it in the hands of a Troy player. I'm glad they decided to throw the ball there.

*I'm really pleased with over 17K there. ESPN2 did a good job for the most part covering up the empty sections of the stands. The student section looked really good.

*Man do we miss Andy Brewster and Andy Blount

*I wish Patrick would have brought at least one kick off return out of the end zone

*Has the first play of every game this season been a pass?

*Why can't our O-Line block? We had 8 in the box at times as well, but Troy always seemed to get yards.

*Remember when DeLoach was here how we used to always make the proper adjustments and come out and dominate the 3rd quarter? We gave up 130+ yards rushing in the first half of the 3rd qtr Tues.

Uhhhhhh, that's all I got.

Guest JohnDenver

>>*I wish Patrick would have brought at least one kick off return out of the end zone

You can't have it both ways. Curse the player who brings it out of the endzone and gets to the 15 and curse the player that does the *smart* thing and takes it at the 20.

I can't even tell you how many times over the past 4 years we have seen Branch and Moore take the kick out of the endzone, only to fumble or stumble.

In hindsight, it would have been nice to see Cobbs take it out of the endzone and *try* to score -- since we ended up having NO offense. But in reality, it was smart to not risk it. He didn't know we would never be able to maintain a drive.

>>*I wish Patrick would have brought at least one kick off return out of the end zone

You can't have it both ways. Curse the player who brings it out of the endzone and gets to the 15 and curse the player that does the *smart* thing and takes it at the 20.

I can't even tell you how many times over the past 4 years we have seen Branch and Moore take the kick out of the endzone, only to fumble or stumble.

In hindsight, it would have been nice to see Cobbs take it out of the endzone and *try* to score -- since we ended up having NO offense. But in reality, it was smart to not risk it. He didn't know we would never be able to maintain a drive.

I agree for the most part. Everytime he knelt, I told my friend, "that's our veteran." But there was once, I think it was with 8 mins or so left in the game, where the kickoff was its shallowest of the night, maybe 3-4 yards or so deep where it looked like he had some room. Yes he did the smart thing, but a sense of urgency was probably in order there. And like you said, we needed something to happen.

Plus, Moore and Branch are both knuckleheads anyway. I trust Patrick a whole lot more.

Edited by TheColonyEagle

Guest JohnDenver

I think Quinn's problems come from him always have that "urgency" to deliver. I know I look at him in that way. On a PR, I EXPECT something to happen. I know he has the ability. I trust his judgement. I trust his hands. It was a bad decision to not fair catch that ball, but after going 3 and out 500 times in four games, he really wanted to score without the offense going out there. I can understand that...

I think that is his main problem. No confidence in the offense (well earned). He is trying to do something *every* time he touches the ball ...

Edited by JohnDenver

Most of you have met and been around DD in person many times, I assume. I can only rely on television games from the past several years (NO Bowls, others). This is how DD comes across on camera (sometimes my job involves media analysis):

passive, remote, uncommunicative, unimaginative, uninspiring, a "watcher" rather than a "doer."

I once made notes on 5 straight shots of DD on the sidelines, and in only 1 of them did he actually talk to someone else; otherwise, he either stood still, or walked a short distance looking at nothing in particular.

This is not meant to take a position in the ongoing "DD -- he should stay, he should go," since most of you will have much better and closer information and insight. All I am saying is that on television, he doesn't recruit very well.

There's been a lot of talk about wanting us to run the option and Danny's speed but I don't think you'll see it this year much. In fact I talked to Meager's dad at halftime of the game and he told me that Danny got basically chewed out when he tucked it and ran for that fairly big gain in the first half. Seems the coaching staff's biggest concern is keeping him on his feet for a season. As rusty as many have said they think he looks he's also the guy who got the majority of the practice snaps and has been installed as the starter...and our backup is a true freshman. Wrong or not, I can see the coaching staff's thinking.

There's been a lot of talk about wanting us to run the option and Danny's speed but I don't think you'll see it this year much.  In fact I talked to Meager's dad at halftime of the game and he told me that Danny got basically chewed out when he tucked it and ran for that fairly big gain in the first half.  Seems the coaching staff's biggest concern is keeping him on his feet for a season.  As rusty as many have said they think he looks he's also the guy who got the majority of the practice snaps and has been installed as the starter...and our backup is a true freshman.  Wrong or not, I can see the coaching staff's thinking.

You are right on. I think if we went to the option more than a few times a game, it would expose Danny way to much to D-ends and linebackers popping him at will. I think we can use it situationally as well as to keep defenses guessing but not all the time.

I feel bad for JQ- He probably feels like he has the weight of the offense on his shoulders and his statement at the press conference pretty much said that. It's like he feels that he has to be the playmaker every time he gets the ball, and that isn't the case. I really think JQ is doing his part, but I think the rest of the team has to step it up.

Hayden Fry even wonder aloud, why we did not run the option when we were down on the goal line.  Must be something there??

ohmy.gif

Hayden Fry would never allow inexperience to be an excuse for poor play or to become predictable. He wouldn't settle for a young team not being able to compete, he would adjust the plays or try something different. NEVER settle for losing!! mad.gif

One thing I've been noticing for about two years now....

Our cornerbacks stay about 10 yards off the receivers. Why is that? It seems that we're so intent on stopping the deep pass that we give up the short pass for 1st downs and big runs.

Can anyone explain the logic behind this? sad.gif

Our cornerbacks stay about 10 yards off the receivers. Why is that? It seems that we're so intent on stopping the deep pass that we give up the short pass for 1st downs and big runs.

Can anyone explain the logic behind this?  sad.gif

man, if I weren't married...

There's been a lot of talk about wanting us to run the option and Danny's speed but I don't think you'll see it this year much.  In fact I talked to Meager's dad at halftime of the game and he told me that Danny got basically chewed out when he tucked it and ran for that fairly big gain in the first half.  Seems the coaching staff's biggest concern is keeping him on his feet for a season.  As rusty as many have said they think he looks he's also the guy who got the majority of the practice snaps and has been installed as the starter...and our backup is a true freshman.  Wrong or not, I can see the coaching staff's thinking.

This brings up a point that the announcers (Dave and Craig I believe) made during the game. They liked it when we got in the hurry-up O’ and made the comment that with a young QB sometimes it’s the best thing for them because they don’t have enough time to think about what’s going to happen, instead they play on instincts. If he feels comfortable running the ball and he’s being told to hold back so he can stay on the field is this putting extra pressure on him?

Yeah, JQ made a mistake that cost us in the Troy game. But his mistakes are hustle mistakes and rarely bad decisions. I want JQ in my lineup for four quarters every game.

QUOTE(untgirl04 @ Oct 7 2005, 03:14 PM)

Can anyone explain the logic behind this? 

man, if I weren't married...

I think we should have a " Mean Green Chicks Footballspeak-a-thon" competition against the other schools' women. I'd put our girls up against any others. My money would be on John Denver's woman for sure. Followed up by untgirl04 and VeryGreen Olson.

Rick

Back to the object of the thread:

I posted under: "Daniel Meager, JaMario Thomas, Quarterback, running game"

FirefightnRick

Danny did look better. He looks like he could be scary-like affective running the option. He's fast, possibly the quckest QB we have seen in some time. So if we are going to be so @#$#ing committed to running the ball, why not utilize his skill he seems best at,(RUNNING THE BALL) along with the two streak-fast backs we have behind him, and run the option?

Pulling my hair out....still!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Hate to ruin it for you, but she's already taken.

Nothing like a brother-in-law to back me up. biggrin.gif

Seriously though, I'd like to hear someone answer my question. I know Covington's got some speed, and it just seems to me that he'd be able to keep up with the WR a bit better than DD is giving him credit for.

P.S. I'm still fairly new to the football thing. If you really want to talk sports, talk to me about baseball. smile.gif

Oops! I'm still logged on as my husband... but this is really untgirl talking. rolleyes.gif

Edited by forevereagle

In fact I talked to Meager's dad at halftime of the game and he told me that Danny got basically chewed out when he tucked it and ran for that fairly big gain in the first half. 

Well, that statement really explains a lot to me. I thought he could have gained several yards on a similar play in the second half but he hesitated when the hole opened, turned around and ran the other direction. Based on your comment it makes perfect sense now.

Edited by gangrene

There's been a lot of talk about wanting us to run the option and Danny's speed but I don't think you'll see it this year much.  In fact I talked to Meager's dad at halftime of the game and he told me that Danny got basically chewed out when he tucked it and ran for that fairly big gain in the first half.

That makes no sense considering he had a long run to score our only TD at the end of the game. Why would a QB get chewed out for making something on a busted play? Just stupid.