How much PT should Phillips get?

gangrene

It could just be that the SunBelt is a REALLY lousy conference, considering we've only beaten a poor Cincy team in the New Orleans Bowl after those 4 championships.  Humm...come to think about it, what good OOC teams have we beat under DD??  How many maginal ones have we lost to in that same time?  dry.gif

A poor Cincy team ? UC won its final five league games to claim a share of the Conference USA title and only lost 23-19 to eventual national champion Ohio State.

huh.gif

A poor Cincy team ? UC won its final five league games to claim a share of the Conference USA title and only lost 23-19 to eventual national champion Ohio State.

huh.gif

I don't know where all this "poor" 2002 Cincy' team business began on this board because many of our best fans have posted the same thing.

I do recall that Cincy' almost beat Ohio State the year we beat UC in the New Orleans Bowl, but I was as impressed that the Cincy' Bearcats beat a pretty darned good TCU Horned Frog team that same season, too. BTW, TCU was the other "co" of CUSA's football co-champions in 2002.

Coach Dickey and his assistants just need to fill the cupboard back up with another bunch of recruits over the next 2 years such as the large number of Mean Green players (which included numerous out of the Texas state top 100 lists) and that group which allowed NORTH TEXAS to make its run of 4 bowl games in a row. We have (somewhat) been in a downward spiral since Booger Kennedy's class graduated. We just need to load the wagons back up.

GMG!

huh.gif

7-7 for a Bowl team is poor in my book....

Dec 17, 2002 New Orleans, LA North Texas 24, Cincinnati 19 Box score

Dec 06, 2002 Greenville, N.C. Cincinnati 42, East Carolina 26 Box score

Nov 30, 2002 Cincinnati, Ohio Cincinnati 31, UAB 23 Box score

Nov 23, 2002 Honolulu, HI Hawai`i 20, Cincinnati 19 Box score

Nov 16, 2002 Cincinnati, OH Cincinnati 47, Houston 14 Box score

Nov 07, 2002 Louisville, KY Cincinnati 24, LOU 14 Box score

Oct 26, 2002 Cincinnati, OH Cincinnati 48, Memphis 10 Box score

Oct 19, 2002 Hattiesburg, Misss. Southern Miss 23, Cincinnati 14 Box score

Oct 12, 2002 New Orleans, La. Tulane 35, Cincinnati 17 Box score

Oct 05, 2002 Cincinnati, Ohio Miami University 31, Cincinnati 26 Box score

Sep 28, 2002 Philadelphia, Pa. Cincinnati 35, Temple 22 Box score

Sep 21, 2002 Cincinnati, Ohio Ohio State 23, Cincinnati 19 Box score

Sep 14, 2002 Cincinnati, Ohio West Virginia 35, Cincinnati 32 Box score

Sep 02, 2002 Cincinnati, Ohio Cincinnati 36, TCU 29

7-7 for a Bowl team is poor in my book....

Dec 17, 2002  New Orleans, LA   North Texas 24, Cincinnati 19  Box score

Dec 06, 2002  Greenville, N.C.   Cincinnati 42, East Carolina 26  Box score

Nov 30, 2002  Cincinnati, Ohio   Cincinnati 31, UAB 23  Box score

Nov 23, 2002  Honolulu, HI   Hawai`i 20, Cincinnati 19  Box score

Nov 16, 2002  Cincinnati, OH   Cincinnati 47, Houston 14  Box score

Nov 07, 2002  Louisville, KY   Cincinnati 24, LOU 14  Box score

Oct 26, 2002  Cincinnati, OH   Cincinnati 48, Memphis 10  Box score

Oct 19, 2002  Hattiesburg, Misss.   Southern Miss 23, Cincinnati 14  Box score

Oct 12, 2002  New Orleans, La.   Tulane 35, Cincinnati 17  Box score

Oct 05, 2002  Cincinnati, Ohio   Miami University 31, Cincinnati 26  Box score

Sep 28, 2002  Philadelphia, Pa.   Cincinnati 35, Temple 22  Box score

Sep 21, 2002  Cincinnati, Ohio   Ohio State 23, Cincinnati 19  Box score

Sep 14, 2002  Cincinnati, Ohio   West Virginia 35, Cincinnati 32  Box score

Sep 02, 2002  Cincinnati, Ohio   Cincinnati 36, TCU 29

Point taken on their overall W/L record, NT80, but some of our posters have been trying to make the 2002 Cincy' team seem like no competition at all in that NO's Bowl game and all but a team at the level of an SBC bottom-feeder.

Even looking at many of Cincy's 7 losses shows that they were within a few points of some of those games being wins without any real blowout losses. Still, they were "Co-Champioin" of a league that has been established much longer that the SBC and that is the part that impressed me the most.

All in the 2005 SBC seemed to have slipped a bit from top to bottom, though, and I think most of us would agree with that. sad.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I agree with most of your oppinions on this subject other than this statement gangreen, in that Danny isn't taught to "READ" defenses in this system like what most would believe.  Let me explain.  For years we have been wondering why our passing seems so watered down?   It became apparant to some that Hall/Smith never seemed to audible.  Plus, if we pass, we pass regardless if the reciever was there or not, unless the QB is forced to run.  Later on in his carreer Hall learned to throw it away more if the reciever on that side of his rollouts(ALWAYS an indication of a pass...ALWAYS) was covered.  Finally, last year there was a report on Scott Hall, DD, Flanigan and our offense and it revealed what many here had guessed for years.   In the report Hall admitted to the reporter that, unlike most high schools, we do not allow our QB to audible out of the play.  Scott stated he could change which side the play is to go to, but he could not audible out of the called play.  It explained a lot, at least to me it did.

Therefore, it is my oppinion from the fact that this inept offense not only handcuffs the most powerful weapon on the field, the QB, from allowing him to change the play at the line of scrimmage, I also do not believe the QB checks off recievers.

One reason for this oppinion:

You never see our QB's roll out and throw towards a covered WR(either throwing it away or forcing it, making a bad read) while everyone on the sideline and in the stadium is yelling for him to look at some other reciever that the defense allowed to slip by and getting wide open.  You know those: AH, look, look, look, he's wide, he's wide, Ahhh No, no damnit he was wide open!!!! type of plays.  I know this doesn't happen a lot of times with other programs, but you see it now and then.  Never at NT.   

Also,

The "OTHER" reciever knows the ball isn't coming his way so you always see him get down field, clearing his man, then start to block with his back to the ball.  If he was an option, he would be trying to gain separation by continuing his route or coming back, instead of blocking away from the play.

Read those last two lines...again.   If you have watched enough Mean Green football these past 8 years, this makes perfect sense for what you have seen. 

I would like to propose a question to everyone.  Not including punters or Brian Waters, who's the last offensive player to make it to the NFL?  4 conference championships now, surely somone made it, right?

Still pulling my hair out!

Rick

I always thought the audible issue was a lack of confidence in Scott Hall by the coaching staff. Boy, was I wrong. After watching this mess for 4 weeks it looks more and more like gameplan than anything else. Running into an obvious run blitz makes no sense IMO.

Edited by Got5onIt

This decision should and will be left entirely to the coaching staff.They see the performance of all the QB's in practice everyday and base playing time on those performances. We should hope that both ,or all the QB's, continue to improve and are ready when called on.

This is the same coaching staff that inserted Richard (one win) Bridges in place of all state offensive player of the year Spencer Stack. Glad you have so much respect for their decisions, nothing in the entire DD regime would make me feel the same. tongue.gif

61 votes in and nearly half want to see Phillips in some capacity this week. If you factor in those who said Phillips should only play if Meager is not performing well (which IMHO he hasn't all season) then that number is well over 50%.

Considering this week's opponent, this is probably the most ideal opportunity of the season for Phillips to see extended PT.

I sure hope someone from DD's staff is taking notes and give the alumni/fan base what they want to see. At the very least, I hope they consider taking the reigns off of Meager and let him utilize some of his athletic ability I've been hearing so much about.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

I have enough faith in the coaching staff that if they thought Phillips could throw any better they'd give him more of a shot. Hall wasn't a great passer either. Even with our relatively modest stature, with all the thousands of guys playing out there, it befuddles me why we can't get someone back there with more accuracy. On the other hand, our QBs have not gotten great protection against the better teams we face. If the line doesn't step it up, this question about who should be back there may take care of itself.