What do the MEAN GREEN Fans Want?

KingDL1

Is there a positive way we can get changes made with the current Coaching staff? I hope not to hear about poor player talent because it is not as bad as the scores reflect. I do have faith in our players.

Like many have said I think for now we have the coaches we have, but it is fair for us as fans, alumni and students to ask for and expect accountability.

Many of the negative posts on this board stem from worries that the Mean Green ship is drifting off course and no one is working on what it will take to get back on course.

I did not vote on this one because I want to keep my personal feelings out of this. I believe in the players and their talent and will continue to support those young men in green on the field.

I will mention though that there is a real problem when the players have no respect for their coaches.

And that's all I've got to say about that... Forrest Gump

I will mention though that there is a real problem when the players have no respect for their coaches.

Seriously?? OUCH.

I have the same feeling in my stomach about this team as I did back in 2001 after the ULM loss. Only now we're 7 years into DD's tenure instead of 3. We are not very good. The players turned around that season and the next 4 years....will it happen again? Do we have another Scott Hall on the team? Andy Brewster? Booger? Guys that just refuse to lose?

Seriously??  OUCH. 

I have the same feeling in my stomach about this team as  I did back in 2001 after the ULM loss.  Only now we're 7 years into DD's tenure instead of 3.  We are not very good.  The players turned around that season and the next 4 years....will it happen again?  Do we have another Scott Hall on the team?  Andy Brewster?  Booger?  Guys that just refuse to lose?

I believe that this year as bad as it may seem will produce another Brewster or Booger.

This isn't the first time I've heard of the problem. I seem to remember the very same comments coming from many others "in the know" over the past few years. I've also heard some things from former players. This worrys me more than anything. If this sentiment is wide-spread, we have a bigger problem than winning the Belt. If this gets out, we'll have problems getting recruits, keeping our star players, and even winning one or two games all season.

I don't like the "sky is falling" mentality, but this really distresses me.

Before we start ranting for DD's head, may I remind you that:

4 Sun Belt titles

4 straight years of bowl games

an unbeaten conference streak that will go on forever...(well, maybe not that long)

The only losses are in our non-conference schedule.

We aren't playing Indiana State, or Sam Houston, or any other cupcakes for non-conference. We are playing quality teams. We are getting paid to do it (half a mill from LSU alone). You get better by playing teams better then you.

I can handle losing non-conference games to quality teams (K-State this year, Texas last year, OU, Nebraska, et al in other years). If NT shows imporvement from year to year, I am happy with that.

NT is a late bloomer in this respect. All the OOC teams we are playing have quality programs and have had quality programs since the early 1900s. NT is about 100 years behind. It won't take 100 years for UNT to be a big player on a national stage.

How much did we get paid for getting our a$$ handed to us by Tulsa? I'm pretty sure there wasn't a payout there - just supposed to be a bunch of rabid Tulsa fans filling our coffers through ticket sales (which didn't happen).

You bring up a good point: teams do improve when they play someone better than them. But you don't improve if you don't learn anything from game to game and make adjustments. I'm not necessarily calling for anyone's head - DD or otherwise. I would just like to see improvement from week to week, and I'd like to see that beautiful chess game we call coaching. When something's not working, you try something new. If we're pretty much handing over the OCC games anyway, why not experiment in the backfield. I have yet to see the vaunted PC-JMo combo used in any creative way. Why not throw to the TE? Why not establish a passing game with 5 wide? I realize you've got to practice what you're playing in conference, but by now I'd bet everyone has DD's playbook memorized. Why not add a little spice, just to shake things up?

How much did we get paid for getting our a$$ handed to us by Tulsa? I'm pretty sure there wasn't a payout there - just supposed to be a bunch of rabid Tulsa fans filling our coffers through ticket sales (which didn't happen).

You bring up a good point: teams do improve when they play someone better than them. But you don't improve if you don't learn anything from game to game and make adjustments. I'm not necessarily calling for anyone's head - DD or otherwise. I would just like to see improvement from week to week, and I'd like to see that beautiful chess game we call coaching. When something's not working, you try something new. If we're pretty much handing over the OCC games anyway, why not experiment in the backfield. I have yet to see the vaunted PC-JMo combo used in any creative way. Why not throw to the TE? Why not establish a passing game with 5 wide? I realize you've got to practice what you're playing in conference, but by now I'd bet everyone has DD's playbook memorized. Why not add a little spice, just to shake things up?

.nod.

Find someone like Coach Klein (Waterboy reference) to draw up some new plays.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to keep DD for AT LEAST the time being, and I want a change in our offensive scheme. As much as I dislike TT, I would like to emulate them offensively. Let's find someone that can do it! They know how to put points on the scoreboard with a limited amount of talent. They are not exactly filling up the NFL rosters with their former players. With all the speed and talent in the NT area, I think the right OC could get it done. Will DD go for that? I very much doubt it. Just MHO.

Anyone else ever get a feeling that the big money people of NT who will ultimately take this program to the next level (because of their big money or who they know who has the big money) might be amused with just about everything they read on this message board? From all that I hear thru the grapevine, there is no groundswell of discontent from any of those folks who want to make any changes at all in Mean Green Country.

At NT we seem to always take everything in small steps. Sometimes we go 4 steps forward then 5 back, but we usually get back on track.

The best thing that has happened thus far at NORTH TEXAS with a great part of that being because we have (in deed) gone to 4 bowl games in a row is that we've finally decided its time to start building some big time football-related facilities that a school our size and ambition will need to have to keep up.

Most of you are right inasmuch that its not just about facilities but that will give us a chance to compete against those who use their quality facilties against ours on the recruiting trail. Nevermind how you feel about DD at this moment in time, but we've needed these facilities long before Darrell Dickey arrived in Denton and even when I was an NT student back when we used apple green as our primary shade of green. That my fine feathered fellow alums/fans and friends was a long time ago.

Some fans need to go back to the times when they had those good feelings right before each bowl game we played the 2'nd Tuesday of each of the last 4 Decembers and then decide if they want to piss off all those good feelings over 3 losses this football season (and that with a young football team).

God help us all, but we are in a rebuilding year at NT this year whether most want to accept that fact or not. 8 out of 11 new faces on defense sort of suggests it and it looks like we also have some new faces on this Fall's Mean Green offense (compared to our 2004 NT offense).

IMO, there needs to be improvement across the board at NT starting with our coaches to our players and even with us, the fans. We are all in this together in so many ways and we all need to discern if what we are posting on this messsage board is of a constructive or destructive nature and then question ourselves if we have become a destructive force on GMG.com because of what we post, then what is the reason behind that? Who really is to gain by playing the blame game?

We are not a large enough program with a solid enough fan base to be divided because it really is like one particular Book says and I quote: "A divided house will not stand."

Performance during a given period of time will be the ultimate determiner of who stays or who goes at NT, but sometimes a respected outside source can make suggestions to our powers-that-be (our NT Board of Regents, for example) because sometimes even a high profile group such as our BOR's cannot see the trees for the forest.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

At NT we seem to always take everything in small steps.  Sometimes we go 4 steps forward then 5 back, but we usually get back on track. 

I'll admit that I suck at math, but if you go 4 steps forward, then 5 steps back, the progress is negated. And if that is a continuing trend, then you will never improve.

I'll admit that I suck at math, but if you go 4 steps forward, then 5 steps back, the progress is negated.  And if that is a continuing trend, then you will never improve.

Math was not my strong suit, either, but last I counted, we did go to 4 bowl games in a row and it seems many who are discontented now were at the front of the Mean Green parade during the good times. Tough times don't last, but tough people do?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Just three quick questions.

Are we ever going to see PC and JT in the same backfield for more than two plays a game?

Shouldnt we go with 4 wide every once in a while to spread the field and give our RB a little more room to run?

What happened to our FB Henderson? I know we already have a starter, but by all accounts he had an impressive spring. Our starting FB now weighs all of 200 lbs.

Before we start ranting for DD's head, may I remind you that:

4 Sun Belt titles

4 straight years of bowl games

an unbeaten conference streak that will go on forever...(well, maybe not that long)

The only losses are in our non-conference schedule.

We aren't playing Indiana State, or Sam Houston, or any other cupcakes for non-conference. We are playing quality teams. We are getting paid to do it (half a mill from LSU alone). You get better by playing teams better then you.

I can handle losing non-conference games to quality teams (K-State this year, Texas last year, OU, Nebraska, et al in other years). If NT shows imporvement from year to year, I am happy with that.

NT is a late bloomer in this respect. All the OOC teams we are playing have quality programs and have had quality programs since the early 1900s. NT is about 100 years behind. It won't take 100 years for UNT to be a big player on a national stage.

Lets see La Monroe was a conference member which beat NT in DD's 3rd year. Troy is a conference member which meat NT in DD's 8th year. Wasn't it FAU, a current member which beat NT last year in about their 3rd year of existence...they were a provisional 1A member last year and a conference member this year.

Edited by OldTimer