Tulsa's Coaching

Coffee and TV

I've looked through topics and haven't seen anyone make a comment about TU's 4th quarter coaching. Was it me or was he being a classless a-hole running up the score in the 4th quarter? Going for it on 4th and 1 when you're up by 38 points, teaching the kid to fall on the fumble recovery rather than running it back for a TD, keeping your first string offense in until 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter when you're already up by 30+ points?

I really thought that half of our butt-kicking occured by Tulsa's coaching staff and their lack of just letting us die a quick death. Am I alone in thinking he deserved to not have his hand shaken by DD at the end of the ballgame?

Edited by Coffee and TV

I see where you're coming from.  But I'm glad that we got our butts handed to us.  The coaches and players deserve the embarrasement that comes with half-a** preparation.  Penalties demonstrate poor preparation.

I could not have said it any better!!!

He didn't run it up...and you can't blame them for returning a fumble for a TD. That was probably a 2nd or 3rd string defensive player and it may be his only chance to ever score a TD. Those kids out there don't get to play much, and you gotta let them play.

If he had his 1st string in late in the 4th and passing deep for the endzone, then yeah, he's running up the score. But you can't blame him because UNT basically handed him the last 2 TD's...blame UNT for that.

I don't blame them at all. They were looking for their first win. All they heard about for a week prior to our game was Jamario and Patrick. They weren't favored to win by almost anyone. In their position I would have spanked anyone they put in my path if I could. And I'm glad they did. If this team doesn't wake up we won't be celebrating at the end of the year or anytime during. It's funny to think (and I'm making it my signature) but I feel like Oklahoma for once.

Are you kidding me? These kids did exactly what they are coached to do and they won doing it. You play like you practice. You play to win. This isn't a game of mercy. If the shoe was on the other foot we wouldn't be bashing Dickey, we'd all be thumping our chests and talking about how stout the defense is and how they (TU) just need to deal with it....So take your lumps...we lost...badly....deal with it.

Here's an idea: If you don't want someone to score on a fumble don't freaking fumble. You think the "Mean" Green coaches teach that skill.

They in no way ran the score up. The last two touchdowns were from a 40+ yard run and a fumble recovery.

What was the guy supposed to do when he broke through? Take a knee?

And I don't think I've ever seen a football player on any level at any game regardless of the score pick up a fumble and fall down. If they see a chance to get in the endzone they're going to try their best to get in. Good for him.

If we don't want them to get touchdowns, we should not let them get touchdowns.

Tech passes a lot...that's what they do. You can't say he runs it up on purpose when he pulls his starters one series into the 3rd quarter, and plays all freshmen the entire 2nd half.

Like I said in another thread...you can't judge a game by the stats line. A 40 yard pass by Tech more times than not is a short pass that the runningback or wide receiver turned into a 40 yard pass. But when you look at it on the stat line, it looks like Tech is throwing deep late in the game when they aren't.

I remember a couple of years back when OU was killing A&M and A&M couldn't hardly gain a yard.

Late in the game, OU knelt at the one yard line. I thought at the time that was humiliating. I don't want another team's pity. I agree throwing deep passes or leaving in the starters in to the bitter end would be bad, but that is not what happened.

Scattershots while waiting for another TU score:

I heard Wendy's gives away free burgers if the opponent scores 50 on us. I couldn't find the guys that hand out the coupons though.

My son plays on a young baseball team against many teams who have played together for years. The mercy rule is applied almost every inning. My son feels no better after a loss by 5 or 6 runs, than had they lost by 20 runs.

All Sunbelt OOC wins (should one ever come) should be seen in the same light as when a D-IAA team beats a D-I team.

Cincinatti (sp?) should be ashamed of itself for letting a D-1AA team beat them in the NOB a few years back...does anyone have a freeze frame of their QB's face expressing diarrhea on the sideline?

Bright side: I was so hot, sweating so much last night, that I did not have to make a trip to our vaunted bathrooms!

Bright side 2: Cups with ice...even though you had to pay .50 for them.

Bright side 3: The Domino's delivery guy will be able to me next game when I call and ask for a delivery to section G.

Oops....sorry this was supposed to be the material I used on the Bitter Bored (sic). They wouldn't have liked it either...too positive.

Poster without a board.

Norm Hitzges voice: Isn't it great to be able to laugh a little?

Edited by untcampbell

Running up the score?

You guys allowed our RB to score a TD on a 41-yard run then fumbled the ball and let our guy 32-yard go for a TD. That's 14 of the 21 4th quarter points.

You can't blame that on the TU coaches.

I know you all are upset, I would be if I were in your situation as 54-2 was not what ANYONE expected but calling our coach an ass for running up the score is BS.

Come on man, we played with out 4 guys that are typically starters. 1WR/KR, 1 RB, and 2 DB's.

Anyway, good game and I hope you all got out without any injuries and I'll be pulling for you the rest of the season!!

Running up the score?

You guys allowed our RB to score a TD on a 41-yard run then fumbled the ball and let our guy 32-yard go for a TD. That's 14 of the 21 4th quarter points.

You can't blame that on the TU coaches.

I know you all are upset, I would be if I were in your situation as 54-2 was not what ANYONE expected but calling our coach an ass for running up the score is BS.

Come on man, we played with out 4 guys that are typically starters. 1WR/KR, 1 RB, and 2 DB's.

Anyway, good game and I hope you all got out without any injuries and I'll be pulling for you the rest of the season!!

Good Game?

That has to be one of the most sarcastic/disingenuous statements I've heard in a long time.

We were VERY hospitable to the Tulsa fans that came to our tailgating area. Please don't repay that hospitality by talking down to us. There is no way in hell that was a "great game" .......except for Tulsa.

I normally chalk up any running up the score accusations as sour grapes and I don't think Tulsa ran up the score here. However, I do have to wonder going for it on 4 & 1 when you're up by 38 pts. It's not like their defense wasn't shutting us down every series so I'd like to hear an explanation from the Tulsa coaches on what their motivation was there.

The other TD's....can't ask the kids not to play. If we have a problem with them scoring we should do a better job stopping them.

Edited by Baby Arm!

Good Game?

That has to be one of the most sarcastic/disingenuous statements I've heard in a long time.

We were VERY hospitable to the Tulsa fans that came to our tailgating area. Please don't repay that hospitality by talking down to us. There is no way in hell that was a "great game" .......except for Tulsa.

What did you want me to say?

Thanks for playing, I enjoyed listening to our team kick your ass?

Call us dogshit, call our coach an ass, then get mad when I say good game?

I understand how you feel as TU has been on the wrong end of beatings several times over the last decade or so. Even against Minnesota TU went into that game thinking they had a chance tpo win and, if you missed the final score, we lost 41-10.

Things will only get better with asuch a young team. You guys will be fine.

What did you want me to say?

Thanks for playing, I enjoyed listening to our team kick your ass?

Call us dogshit, call our coach an ass, then get mad when I say good game?

I understand how you feel as TU has been on the wrong end of beatings several times over the last decade or so. Even against Minnesota TU went into that game thinking they had a chance tpo win and, if you missed the final score, we lost 41-10.

Things will only get better with asuch a young team. You guys will be fine.

I did not post that very embarassing dog picture (that poster should have been banned). I didn't call your coach an ass. And you have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA HOW I FEEL.

Yes, Tulsa has been beat up in the past, and may get beat up again. But Tulsa will continue to compete in a higher regarded conference than North Texas. Tulsa will ALWAYS be the only game in town in your area of Oklahoma, and we will always have to struggle against the prejudices that the local media (who are old SWC and Dallas Cowboy centered) have toward us....which ends up affecting our attendance.

Since you asked, "Tough game guys. Hope things get better for you the rest of the year" would have been a better comment.

Edited by SilverEagle

I did not post that very embarassing dog picture (that poster should have been banned).

SilverEagle, I'm the poster who put the dog picture up to "stir it up" with Tulsa a bit. Almost 2,200 posts and I should be banned from the board for one post? If the moderator or someone else found it offensive and in bad taste, they made the decision already. I'm O.K. with that. But to be banned? How silly. Besides, I've seen much worse pictures posted here. And have you visited other boards from Big 12, SEC schools, etc.? Really bad stuff.

To the Tulsa fans, I apologize. My bad.

I dont care what any of you say I still think the way I do, call it sour grapes call me a sore loser, whatever. I thought it at the game and I still feel the same. You dont take a knee when you recover a fumble, but you can fall on it.

If you are a defensive player, much less a 2nd or 3rd string defensive player, and you have a chance to score a TD...you go for it. That 18-22 year old kid, who is playing maybe his first time in college, isn't thinking, "oh, look a fumble...I better fall on it and not try and pick it up so the fans don't think we're running up the score."

In reality, they are busting their ass and Saturday is their chance to reap the reward. Expecting him not to return the fumble for a TD when given the chance is not being realistic. Did you ever play football? What about basketball? If you have an open shot, you take it.

I normally chalk up any running up the score accusations as sour grapes.  However, I do have to wonder going for it on 4 & 1 when you're up by 38 pts.  It's not like their defense wasn't shutting us down every series so I'd like to hear an explanation from the Tulsa coaches on what their motivation was there.

If there was a record for the most times the opponent goes for it on 4th down in a season, I think we'd be number one in that category every year.

Keith

I did not post that very embarassing dog picture (that poster should have been banned). I didn't call your coach an ass. And you have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA HOW I FEEL. 

Yes, Tulsa has been beat up in the past, and may get beat up again. But Tulsa will continue to compete in a higher regarded conference than North Texas. Tulsa will ALWAYS be the only game in town in your area of Oklahoma, and we will always have to struggle against the prejudices that the local media (who are old SWC and Dallas Cowboy centered) have toward us....which ends up affecting our attendance.

Since you asked, "Tough game guys. Hope things get better for you the rest of the year" would have been a better comment.

Fair enough.

On Tulsa being the only game in town, we fight continually for coverage because of the huge OU and OSU alumn base in Tulsa. This is the first year that I can remember where TU has gotten fair and balanced coverage in the local paper. That ironically is because of the new editor who is a OU grad.

This is the first time TU has a won is wasn't supposed to OU lost, and OSU won a close one vs Arkansas St where TU actually was the lead story on the frontpage.

I feel for you in the local media prejudices. Luckily, it has improved some for Tulsa this year.

Tough game guys. Hope things get better for you the rest of the year! ohmy.gif)