Let's Get It Out of Our System/Then Let's Regroup!

PlummMeanGreen

** We all have homes and beds to go home and sleep (unlike thousands of our fellow Americans who we are all trying to give money and support to help regain theirs)

cool.gif ** No major injuries on our (most obviously) young FB team

cool.gif ** We did beat a CUSA football champion (who beat TCU) in a bowl game--have we forgotten that already? We can still build on that fact! CUSA is not unbeatable by NORTH TEXAS; hellsbells, we beat their football champion! tongue.gif

cool.gif ** The Mean Green have been to 4 bowl games in a row (and those 4 bowl games we hosted have produced much "un-stoppable" momentum in our athletics venue building program). You think one loss by the 3'rd youngest team in the NCAA is going to stop "THAT?" IF SO, GET REAL, BECAUSE IT AINT'! blink.gif

cool.gif ** Upwards to 24,000 in att. last night at Fouts vs a non-Texas college FB team

cool.gif ** Almost $700,000 worth of new turf on our playing surface which some schools would kill to have

cool.gif ** A Datronics that some TU Golden Hurricane fans are already complaining on their board as to why NT has one and they don't.

cool.gif ** Many new faces/new fans attended our game last night--if they come back is a matter of their own personal choice (and their propensity as to having a most admired trait of being loyal to their home team or their alma mater's team no matter how the team is playing OR---who we play). We have no control of what last night's 1'st Timer fans do in this regard BUT.....in Mean Green Country we do have a huge reservoir (that many other schools don't) in which to replace "deadhead Fred" type fans once we settle in with an NT athletic marketing program that will continue to reach out to all the newcomers in Denton County.

THIS IS JUST A FEW OF THE GOOD THINGS HAPPENING IN MEAN GREEN COUNTRY AND I HAVE LEFT SOME THINGS OFF THIS LIST--WHAT WOULD YOU ADD? rolleyes.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Jim, I agree we're certainly much more fortunate than those suffering huge loss of family and home in NewOrleans, and the Gulf Coast, but you are delusional if you think any good came from last night debacle. Eight (8) first downs. And a serious injury to T.J. Covingtion?

I generally like your optimism, and we need that, and I will be at the rest of our home games, for sure...but if you think many of our fans will be back, get a grip on reality. It ain't happening! I planned to drive to Kansas State. Forget that. High gas prices would not been a problem if I got any going with me to share the cost. You wanna go? Have a nice day. Case closed. New Stadium? Forget it!

Jim, I agree we're certainly much more fortunate than those suffering huge loss of family and home in NewOrleans, and the Gulf Coast, but you are delusional if you think any good came from last night debacle. Eight (8) first downs. And a serious injury to T.J. Covingtion?

I generally like your optimism, and we need that, and I will be at the rest of our home games, for sure...but if you think many of our fans will be back, get a grip on reality. It ain't happening! I planned to drive to Kansas State. Forget that. High gas prices would not been a problem if I got any going with me to share the cost. You wanna go? Have a nice day. Case closed. New Stadium? Forget it!

Rick, I can't see where I said last night was a positive....I said lets get it out of our system then regroup.

I haven't heard the injury report on TJ, he walked off the field, though. I think I said we had no serious injuries. I stand to be corrected on that and if we did have a serious injury, I haven't read about it yet.

I also didn't say that all the fans would be back, but I did suggest it would be a positive character trait if they didn't get into this freakin' The Sky Is Falling' mode that some seem to get in after any damn loss! I would not want to be in a foxhole with some of our alums--they'd run after the enemy fired the first shot.

New stadium? If we think one loss will cost us a new stadium, then we may have some of the most shallow-thinking fans in the history of the NCAA.

Sometimes, I think I understand why NT is about 25 years behind where we really should be and it don't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. NT alums/fans specialize in pointing fingers, but they also most always seem to forget where that thumb is pointing back to.

The last question I proposed for hopeful "positive" responses was: What is right in Mean Green Country and what some fans might add to that list?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Can't agree more GG. Little Mary Sunshine won't cut it with this kind of loss. Oh Yes we did beat a Cincy team once upon a time when they did not want to even be there in the first place and that only because Kevin Galbreath played his heart out to keep the ball out of Cincy's hands in the closing minutes so don't toot the NT horn too long after that fluke. Yes we've been to 4 "bowls" in a row and all but once had our heads handed to us once outside SBC competition. If you are content to be at this level --fine, you should stand in good stead with the coming regime' ' cause that's exactly where they want us to be!! But don't give us any more of this " just build it crap" because a big enough fool will never, ever be found to want his name put on a stadium that's home to a program content to be the best of the worst in D-1 football!! By the way on your 24K and new fans, I hope you took a picture because you have seen the last of them for this year!!!!

Edited by DallasGreen

Can't agree more GG. Little Mary Sunshine won't cut it with this kind of loss. Oh Yes we did beat a Cincy team once upon a time when they did not want to even be there in the first place and that only because Kevin Galbreath played his heart out to keep the ball out of Cincy's hands in the closing minutes so don't toot the NT horn too long after that fluke. Yes we've been to 4 "bowls" in a row and all but once had our heads handed to us once outside SBC competition. If you are content to be at this level --fine, you should stand in good stead with the coming regime' ' cause that's exactly where they want us to be!! But don't give us any more of this " just build it crap" because a big enough fool will never, ever be found to want his name put on a stadium that's home to a program content to be the best of the worst in D-1 football!!

Well, should we shut down football once Norval is gone? I have never see any one man as NT's saviour and I never will. No man can be that big (or will be allowed to be that big) and the NT BOR's will see to that. Even Lee Jackson will be kept in check as long as Bobby Ray is on the Board of Regents and it seems others are pretty well on board with NT Athletics with or without Bobby Ray.

What if we actually find a president who takes care of both athletics and VP's who from all appearances have plagiarized? I admire those who stand up for what they believe is right (yet who may be wrong), but not at the expense of my career.

Jeez! Do you all prefer being positive or non-stop negative? Scottie has the doom and gloom board where that is a constant daily theme.

BUILD IT!

ADDENDUM: SMU found 4 fools who were foolish enough to give enough money to build a new stadium in a location that is nowhere as strategic a location as NT's new football stadium will be located, ie, 50,000 who will drive by it daily? Hank D said 90,000 at the DD Show, so maybe its gone even higher than originality posted.

People that have the big money sometimes find all kinds of fooish ways to spend it. rolleyes.gif Casepoint: One of Fort Worth's Bass Bros. building of the freakin' Bio-Sphere! laugh.gif What about the Texas oilman, the late Jack Grimm who spent way more money that would fund 2 new FB stadiums at NT trying to find a way to raise the Titanic from the ocean's floor?

NT has already identified an impressive handful of potential philathropists who could build our football stadium and all we need is only "1" of them to say yes.

Man, all this over just one loss?!?!?!? sad.gif It's almost amusing.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Find a president who is pro athletics with L J as chancellor __ welcome to Fantasy Land. By the way I've been at that "foxhole" in N. O. for four years taking the blast while others stayed close to home for a myriad of their own reasons. D'ont ever challenge my loyalty because I've been around since most on this board were in diapers but when I see yet another opportunity to gain some credability be trounced like last night, it makes me mad as hell. If we don't want to cook get out of the kitchen!!! Elsewise we continue to be the "best of the worst" which to me now achieves exactly what our offense put up ---a big ZERO.

By the way if you want to buid it--write the first check or find someone who can otherwise put a lid on that fantasy and deal in reality.

Things look really grim. I'm a guy that rolls with alot of punches. The big time losses in the past never really upset me like alot of you, because we were playing schools I doubted we could stay on the field with. But this one was just about the most depressing debacle I've ever listened to.

I do agree we need to let it go though. Burn the damn game film.

Plumm it's not doom and gloom to point out the problems. It's being a realist.

That win over Cincy was what, three years ago!!! I can barely remember it's been so long. How many players from that team are left? Not many. It is irrelevant now.

24,000. That's 24000 that saw NT get their a## handed to them. How is that positive?

There may have been a lot of new faces in the crowd, but what did they see to make them want to come back?

The only true positive I'll grant is you is the first one about homes to go back to.

Edited by SouthBendGreen

Find a president who is pro athletics with L J as chancellor __ welcome to Fantasy Land. By the way I've been at that "foxhole" in N. O. for four years taking the blast while others stayed close to home for a myriad of their own reasons. D'ont ever challenge my loyalty because I've been around since most on this board were in diapers but when I see yet another opportunity to gain some credability be trounced like last night, it makes me mad as hell. If we don't want to cook get out of the kitchen!!! Elsewise we continue to be the "best of the worst" which to me now achieves exactly what our offense put up ---a big ZERO.

By the way if you want to buid it--write the first check or find someone who can otherwise put a lid on that fantasy and deal in reality.

The Mean Green Club has (and always will) get my money and they can do with it what they damn well please--even put in in the new stadium building fund if they choose.

I'd consider joining NT Exes if some of its leadership would show that they can be a bit more positive about their school (and moreso after one football game loss).

I'd also like to see NT Exes (and other campus groups) quit using Mean Green football games as one of their prime vehicles and as a way to prosyltye their members (and the raising of funds from those attending athletic events), too. At NT, there is just not that much money to spread around. Also, it just doesn't seem all that fair a thing to do to the annually much under-funded Mean Green Club to me. How do you think the executive leadership of the MG Club have to feel about working their asses off to get a crowd out to the game and then to see chicken hawks from all over campus swoop down on Mean Green fans for their own pet campus projects? Of course, MG Club officials have to say "it's OK", but is that what they would express privately? sad.gif

Yet does the Mean Green Club go to NT Exes events trying to prosylyte their "non interested in athletics" membership? IMHO, NORTH TEXAS doesn't really need to fight its fundraising wars on too many fronts or we'll find that no one group is going to win the war or ever be sufficiently funded, kinda' like the Mean Green Club is not at this moment in time?

NO's Bowl? I don't fly, I am (by my own choice) a single income guy and usually have to work the middle of the week when the NO's Bowl game is played. I am content to give the MG Club $500 annually and buy 4 football season ticket. Do all our alums/fans who attend the NO's Bowl do some of that even as little as my contribution is? Whatever they do is to be admired but if they do it all they have my vote as special super alums of NT and only hope they are being recognized as such.

Jim, you know I do not question your loyalty and you should know after all these years that I never will, but I do question why one loss has such an adverse affect on you and others on this board. It always turns into a "let's burn the barn down to kill the mouse" scenario too many times. How many people want to give to NT if they are reading this constant Chicken Little thing and what they may percieve is a sinking ship?

Jim, you are one of the best of the best of NT alums, but come on man, its just one loss.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Reality.

1. 23,000 plus at the game. HOW MANY were students OR others attending their first game? If 'what you see is what you get', how many will bother to return?

Better attendance for this season could be and probably is DOA.

2. This humiliating loss to Tulsa (of all teams) sets the program back in more ways than one. It will be pointed to by others the remainder of this year and probably some time to come.

3. Some really good pre-season publicity for the program (Jamario & Patrick) has crumbled quickly.

4. I think I'll puke if Plumm puts up any more post with smilies trying to put positive spin on what happened at Fouts Saturday and the aftermath.

Edited by MeanGreen61

A new stadium can ONLY help us improve in certain areas, but I have to play devil's advocate again here:

Do you REALLy believe that a new stadium will rid NT of performances like last night?  What has to happen for that kind of game to never happen again?

ph34r.gif

Perennial loser SMU with new stadium gets CUSA membership?

4 bowl games in a row UNT with Fouts Field does not get into CUSA?

To the many of us who have been around the Green scene awhile, many of us would admit that Fouts Field's existence as our on-campus stadium has cost us other opportunities we could have had in decades past, too. The CUSA failed bid is not the only time and as long as we have Fouts as our football venue, it will cost us in the future, too, when conference start their musical chairs game all over again. U of Louisville would have never gotten into the Big East with the stadium they had prior to their new Papa John Stadium.

A new NT FB stadium equals more quality recruits. We have some now, but maybe it adds many more as to help us beat mid-major OOC schools like Tulsa U?

Hey! No one is happy about last night, but no dirty bombs have been detonated in Mean Green Country, either.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Reality.

1. 23,000 plus at the game. HOW MANY were students OR others attending their first game? If 'what you see is what you get', how many will bother to return?

Better attendance for this season could be and probably is DOA.

2. This humiliating loss to Tulsa (of all teams) sets the program back in more ways than one. It will be pointed to by others the remainder of this year and probably some time to come.

3. Some really good pre-season publicity for the program (Jamario & Patrick) has crumbled quickly.

4. I think I'll puke if Plumm puts up any more post with smilies trying to put   positive spin on what happened at Fouts Saturday and the aftermath.

In response to #4, get the damn bucket out! dry.gif

And where were you sitting at Fouts Field last night?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I hope you old guys know how ridiculous you are looking to the newbies. If you have been on campus you know that we've finally got some of the atmosphere we have needed for a long time at this school, so save your whining. Sure, the game is a major setback, sure we're losing the most athletically inclined pres we've ever had, but break up the sewing circle and keep plugging away like we've been doing for this team for 30 years. Even with the loss, the last four years have been almost the best in our history, so keep that in mind.

One positive.

It seems every year, the student side gets more and more crowded.

Last night the side was full and they appeared to be there before kickoff.

I was there in '98 when you could park a car between myself and the next student.

I always thought starting in about 2001 or 2002, with every freshman class, the student attendance would get better. A new class comes in and knocks off the apathetic senior class that had been there since '98 or so. Now our seniors this year were freshmen in '01 when we started this run. That's gotta mean something right?

It appears to be getting better and I was proud of the students last night. They were there and they were loud.

We still have a ways to go but I'll take one positive observation from last night.

I have one question. Of our 32,000 enrollment, how many live on or right near campus?

I hope you old guys know how ridiculous you are looking to the newbies. If you have been on campus you know that we've finally got some of the atmosphere we have needed for a long time at this school, so save your whining. Sure, the game is a major setback, sure we're losing the most athletically inclined pres we've ever had, but break up the sewing circle and keep plugging away like we've been doing for this team for 30 years. Even with the loss, the last four years have been almost the best in our history, so keep that in mind.

Bravo!

That's what I mean.

GreenEagle05, it will most likely have to be your generation who takes all this to the next level, because we still have some in that sewing bee circle you post about who are obviously content to constantly live in the past and hang on to Fouts Field as long as they possibly can. I think some of them may even get pissed the day we announce we have found a Big Donor to build our new football stadium. wink.gif

I have no doubt now and have for quite awhile as to why our school has floundered athletically most of my adult life and it really doesn't have that much to do with past or present athletic personnel. wink.gif

This thread was originally about NT alums in the face of last night's adversity and a terrible loss at home before a very nice crowd last night to add "what is right at NT" (instead of the constant "what is wrong", but now do you see what those of us who have tried to stay positive have to contend with? Those who are hot as a firecracker for this program one moment, then turn 180 degrees against it the next?

I'd be lying thru my teeth if I told you I have not had my own Negative Ned moments with this athletic program for the 30 plus years I've followed it, but trying to not linger on those moments is what many of us try to overcome.

Good post, GreenEagle05! Keep reminding us!

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

In response to #4, get the damn bucket out! dry.gif  

And where were you sitting at Fouts Field last night?

GMG!

Don't know why you ask but, Section E, Row 31, seats 1&2 were occupied. If I can't make the 400 mile plus one way trip I ALWAYS have someone in my seats. Actually I'm glad that I couldn't make the trip up for this game because I'd hate to have spent the several hundred dollars for hotel rooms and gas to see this fiasco.

Edited by MeanGreen61

Section E, Row 31, seats 1&2 were occupied. If I can't make the 400 mile plus one way trip I ALWAYS have someone in my seats. Actually I'm glad that I couldn't make the trip up for this game because I'd hate to have spent the  several hundred dollars for hotel rooms and gas to see this fiasco.

Fair enough....}:>)

Can you live with my, uh,, home-ade icons? LOL!

gmg!

Perennial loser SMU with new stadium gets CUSA membership?

4 bowl games in a row UNT with Fouts Field does not get into CUSA? 

To the many of us who have been around the Green scene awhile, many of us would admit that Fouts Field's existence as our on-campus stadium has cost us other opportunities we could have had in decades past, too.  The CUSA failed bid is not the only time and as long as we have Fouts as our football venue, it will cost us in the future, too, when conference start their musical chairs game all over again.  U of Louisville would have never gotten into the Big East with the stadium they had prior to their new Papa John Stadium. 

A new NT FB stadium equals more quality recruits.  We have some now, but maybe it adds many more as to help us beat mid-major OOC schools like Tulsa U? 

Hey!  No one is happy about last night, but no dirty bombs have been detonated in Mean Green Country, either. 

GMG!

Sorry, yoiu didn't answer my question:

SMU's new stadium got them an invite to CUSA; so then what? They got blasted last night by A&M....one week after a "pretty" win over TCU. I don't see it any different than our random, once-in-20-tries, wins over Tech or Baylor.

I'm not buying into the better recruits argument. We have better recruits than we did 3 years ago; and, you know what, I believe the 2002 team would have won last night.

The stadium WILL bring the standard up fro recruits, but last night the problem seemed deeper than that. The closest, most logical disection of last night (to me) is FFR's. For the first time in 4+ years, with NO possiblity of overstating this, we have ZERO threat to stretch opposing defenses.

Here's hoping they get this together and put up a fight against KSt.

-gm

PS: is anyone else seeing some parallels between now and the 2001 start?