Where the blame lies

Baby Arm!

Offensive line, offensive line, offensive line.

Our young and inexperienced offensive line was exposed tonight. How many series started out with a holding penalty, giving up a sack, or some other penalty. It seemed like almost every one mad.gif

We kept putting ourselves in a hole where we would need 15 to 20 yards to get a first down. We don't have the firepower to keep making up for those mistakes. We had a first and goal from the one called back to become a 1st and 20. Meager and Phillips had NO time and were under pressure as soon as they dropped back.

Although this sounds ridiculous with as many points we gave up, the defense wasn't playing that bad. But you can't have your offense keep going 3 & out series after series after series without you defense wearing out. That's exactly what happened. As the game went on and one, we kept going 3 & out and the defense had to go back to the field without much of a rest and Tulsa scores.

and btw, I had 4 guests with me for some this was their first UNT game. They LOVED the tailgaing, LOVED the game day experience, but at a point during the game one turned to me and asked, "Whats with the play calling. You're down 19, its 3rd & 8 and you run a draw play?" Welcome to Dickey ball, my friend, Welcome to Dickey ball.

Edited by Baby Arm!

Although this sounds ridiculous with as many points we gave up,  the defense wasn't playing that bad.  But you can't have your offense keep going 3 & out series after series after series without you defense wearing out.  That's exactly what happened. As the game went on and one,  we kept going 3 & out and the defense had to go back to the field without much of a rest and Tulsa scores.

and btw,  I had 4 guests with me for some this was their first UNT game.  They LOVED the tailgaing,  LOVED the game day experience,  but at a point during the game one turned to me and asked,  "Whats with the play calling.  You're down 19,  its 3rd & 8 and you run a draw play?"    Welcome to Dickey ball,  my friend, Welcome to Dickey ball.

Although this sounds ridiculous with as many points we gave up,  the defense wasn't playing that bad.  But you can't have your offense keep going 3 & out series after series after series without you defense wearing out.  That's exactly what happened. As the game went on and one,  we kept going 3 & out and the defense had to go back to the field without much of a rest and Tulsa scores.

LOVED the game day experience,  but at a point during the game one turned to me and asked,  "Whats with the play calling.  You're down 19,  its 3rd & 8 and you run a draw play?"   

Agree--a lot of bad decisions and stupid penalities especially on offense. Not covering those kicks on defense is inexcusable as well, but that is a bad decision.

3rd & 8 I can handle.  But has ANYONE in their lives seen a 4th and 55??    blink.gif

I hope someone got a picture of the scoreboard showing 4th & 55 for us because that may never happen again.  I think that little snippet pretty much sums up the entire evening. dry.gif

I hope someone got a picture of the crowd because that too may never happen again.

I can't defend the O-line much because they were bad, but Meager takes forever and a day to get set up and look for receivers. Then again, I can't blame him much because he is a freshman and really doesn't know what he is doing yet.

Which leads to the playcalling. Why would a running team start EVERY series trying a drop-back pass play with a new QB? The point of having Cobbs/JT is to let them shoulder the load, and not rely on Meager to make plays. He should only have to worry about not forcing plays at this point.

Cobbs averaged 6 yards a carry, even going off-tackle on every carry. Having second-and-five situations instead of second-and-fifteens every series would have helped.

Offensive line, offensive line, offensive line.

Our young and inexperienced offensive line was exposed tonight. How many series started out with a holding penalty, giving up a sack, or some other penalty. It seemed like almost every one mad.gif

Don't disagree with your assessment of the play of the offensive line, but this is the most experienced part of the team. Foster and Lineberry were starters last year, Brown began last year as the starter before illness, May started in 2003. The only new starter is a redshirt freshman. Maybe they miss Brewster more than anticipated, but compared to the rest of the team this is the most experienced.

Let's not rule out all the penalties.   Every season UNT leads the SBC in penalties and Dickey says we're working on it.  A weak O-line, frosh QB, and stupid penalties = big loss at home

Which was my point. Almost at every series it seemed like we were facing 1st and 15, 1st & 20 etc..

This weak o-line and frosh QB have a tough enough time trying to make 10 yards before 4th down.

Edited by Baby Arm!