A NT student body observation

Newspaperman

Lets state the obvious, football is king. I thought I was going to lose my mind sitting through another season of futility with our bi-polar Texas Rangers. Now that football is at the doorstep and NT football commercials are getting regular airtime on Denton cable (with AC/DC's "let's get our ass kicking mentality in gear" Thunderstruck) there needs to be a shift in the community NT football ideology. Granted the greeks only make up approximatly 5-8% of the student body and the overwhelming majority of students rather watch adult swim and roll another fatty. But hell, I was there at one point, now in my senior year me and my "stoner" friends foam at the mouth to hang with our NT brethren and attempt to tear our vocal chords for our underrated midmajor squad. It's nice to care about our team; we can still be the creative, artistic eccentric bastards we are known for and go to football games. Come to a game, meet some new people, drink some beer and try something new. We have been stuck teetering on the fense for too long.

---Campaign slogan---"recruit a stoner"

You add a new dimension to "think green". Could we print out some 'mean green' rolling papers?

Seriously though, this is great to hear. I hope others who have previously been apathetic can see that a huge part of the college experience is sitting right under their noses.

i live off campus, but am on campus all day so i eat in bruce cafeteria (the best food but the wierdest people). anyways, i walked in and right in my face was a HUGE banner hanging from the ceiling with jmo and pc and the home football schedule (maybe it had all the games). there is no way possible to walk into that cafeteria and not see that thing. if one of these is in all the cafeterias maybe our on-campus students will be better informed of the games. now we just need to get those in all the apartments and houses that others live in!

Ok, let me be first of many others on this board to say, "I told you so!".  Don't hate the artsy kids---harness their power!...they have the biggest potential to be absolutely crazy die-hard fans--esp. now that tailgating is growing at NT.

So that brings the question.............what can be done to harness the power of Joe Blow Stoner.

So that brings the question.............what can be done to harness the power of Joe Blow Stoner.

We could show Aqua Teen Hunger Force during half time. Joking aside, most of the "artsy" kids who I have nothing against have a sour attitude toward football coming from high school. I honestly don't know what it would take to make them interested in Mean Green football. They were the same people who thought it was basically a crime to re-arrange finals schedules to accomodate the New Orleans Bowl. I have no answer. wink.gif

Edited by untStein

Well your typical creative-minded liberal/hippie type(which there seems to be alot of at UNT) isnt going to go to a game. However your local high school dude who played football in high school will. Get them interested, and a great way to start is at freshman orientation, which RV did. Expect alot of freshman there this year.

I just learned something.... conservative means football fan and liberal mean anti athletics....

I now know Michael Irvin, Jim McMahan, Deon Sanders, Jim Brown are conservatives and I had thought otherwise.

Meanwhile Spike Lee, Jack Nicholson, Garth Brooks, and others, who are definitely creative and therefore obviously liberals--- must hate sports.

I am not sure what to make of NFL players that are rather creative... and there a quite a few of them who act, paint, perform music or have written material not sports related. .... Damn liberals...everything is their fault. LOL.

As Keshawn Johnson stated yesterday in an ESPN interview, "Don't sweep us all together with a broom , we are not all the same".

Washington, Jefferson, Franklin, and Lincoln were definitely liberals --they supported change (revolution and more social rights) which no repectable conservative would support at the time..

Q.E.D. (agree?)

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Good news. It kinda fits in to a student body observation of mine. The dividing line between the fine arts students and athletics may be starting to erode. Many of my close friends are no longer part of the Green Brigade (they were in the GB in '02, '03, and '04). Now that they are done with their 3 semester GB requirement, I thought that they would never set foot inside Fouts again. WRONG!!!! I have 3 of them wanting to come out to the game next weekend. And not just a casual, "Hey I might go to the game next weekend" type of thing. It is a full on, "I WANT to go to the game really bad!!" I can't be more happy about this. Right now it is only 3 former GBers that I know of, but 3 is more than 0 and I will take it. They credit me for getting them interested in NT athletics. But I know deep down that they cared all along.....They just didn't want to admit it to themselves. smile.gif

---Most business, math-science, engineering people tend to to sports fans.... we tend to have majors that are goal-driven and competive. Some majors just aren't that competive and a lot of the people in those are not as interested. There are exceptions in both groups. If you doubt just hang a faculty lounge/workroom and see who is talking sports or at some other job site. In a fastasy league I run 13 of the 14 members have math/science/computer/business degrees... Others I have asked from other depts don't seem to be very interested as a rule. They don't seem to be as competitive nor do they seem to tolerate kidding as much either....

----Liberal/conservative attitudes are meaningless.. some of the most conservative people I know think athletics is a total waste of money and effort..... and the same applies to some of those with liberal attitudes, they think money should be spent elsewhere.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

It's nice to care about our team; we can still be the creative, artistic eccentric bastards we are known for and go to football games. Come to a game, meet some new people, drink some beer and try something new. We have been stuck teetering on the fense for too long.

---Campaign slogan---"recruit a stoner"

LOL!

You know, he could be on to something here. Every school has it's niche. No reason why NT couldn't become known on ESPN as having one of the more creative student bodies nation wide?

Rick

I just learned something.... conservative means football fan and liberal mean anti athletics.... 

I now know Michael Irvin, Jim McMahan, Deon Sanders, Jim Brown are conservatives and I had thought otherwise. 

Meanwhile Spike Lee, Jack Nicholson, Garth Brooks, and others, who are definitely creative and therefore obviously liberals--- must  hate sports.

I am not sure what to make of NFL players that are rather creative... and there a quite a few of them who act, paint, perform music or have written material not sports related.  .... Damn liberals...everything is their fault.  LOL.

As Keshawn Johnson stated yesterday in an ESPN interview, "Don't sweep us all together with a broom , we are not all the same".

Washington, Jefferson, Franklin, and Lincoln were definitely liberals --they supported change (revolution and more social rights) which no repectable conservative would support at the time..

Q.E.D.  (agree?)

Great post! I've written this here before, but I'll say it again: Stop hating the arts/music kids!! I was an MIS major at UNT and had an instructor (who had retired from IBM) that claimed the major that he recruited the most was any kind of music. Seems as though there's alot of math principles in music theory and music students tend to have a good grasp of logical thinking (or something like that). Either way, things aren't always as they seem. I lived and worked in Bruce Hall during my time at UNT, so I know first hand that there are diehard sports fans amongst the "freaks" of Bruce! smile.gif

Great post!  I've written this here before, but I'll say it again:  Stop hating the arts/music kids!!  I was an MIS major at UNT and had an instructor (who had retired from IBM) that claimed the major that he recruited the most was any kind of music.  Seems as though there's alot of math principles in music theory and music students tend to have a good grasp of logical thinking (or something like that).  Either way, things aren't always as they seem.  I lived and worked in Bruce Hall during my time at UNT, so I know first hand that there are diehard sports fans amongst the "freaks" of Bruce!  smile.gif

You're absolutely right, and just described me to a "T". I came to NT from Long Island for the Jazz program, and ended up graduating with a Computer Science degree.

I wasn't a football fan as a kid, and didn't even know NT had a football team (hell, I didn't even know about NT until the year I came to Denton). But the first weekend I was in Bruce Hall (in 1979), one of the guys down the hall came around trying to get people to come with him to the game. I said "why not", we whipped UTEP something like 49-3, and I was hooked.

Even after I changed my major, I was in the marching band for another 2 years - some great times.

OK...someone needs to start marketing weed to the NT stoners as "Mean Green". Then someone needs to sell said weed only at football games. I'm putting this on the Greenbackers.

Or maybe a "Smoking Section" would be a good idea...then we could reunite Phish for a halftime concert.

"Ever see a Mean Green home game?...Ever see a Mean Green home game....ON WEEEEEED?"

OK...someone needs to start marketing weed to the NT stoners as "Mean Green".  Then someone needs to sell said weed only at football games.  I'm putting this on the Greenbackers.

Or maybe a "Smoking Section" would be a good idea...then we could reunite Phish for a halftime concert. 

"Ever see a Mean Green home game?...Ever see a Mean Green home game....ON WEEEEEED?"

BRILLIANT!!

.. Maybe you should change GreenBackers to .... GREEN SMOKERS!?!?!

ok - took it a little too far... unsure.gif