Write up on UNT vs. Middle Ten

Nt4Life!

Couresty of Wagerline.com

North Texas (0-0) at Middle Tennessee State (0-1)

Saturday, September 10, 2005

Latest Line: North Texas +4 O/U: 49

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GAME NOTES: In a Sun Belt Conference opening contest for both teams, the North Texas Mean Green will clash with the Middle Tennessee State Blue Raiders at Floyd Stadium. The Mean Green were suppose to open their schedule against LSU last week, but complications caused by Hurricane Katrina postponed the contest. Although last season the Mean Green posted just a 7-5 overall record, they were able to capture their fourth straight conference title and attend their fourth straight bowl game. UNT has been a dominant force in the Sun Belt, posting the second-longest conference winning streak in the nation with 25 victories. The Mean Green have lost eight straight season-openers, but Coach Darrell Dickey will try to push his squad to overcome and snap that mark. As for the Blue Raiders they were defeated by the Alabama Crimson Tide, 26-7, in their season-opener. MTSU would like to start its SBC schedule on a high-note, but the task will be extremely difficult. Last season the Blue Raiders were just 4-4 in the SBC which was good for fifth place in the conference. Although upending four-time defending Conference Champ North Texas could be tough, the Blue Raiders have reason to feel confident, as they enter 2005 with a better squad. UNT has dominated the series against Middle Tennessee State, winning all four meetings, including a 30-21 victory last season at Fouts Field.

The cancelation of last week's matchup prolonged the UNT fans from seeing the tandem of Patrick Cobbs and Jamario Thomas in the backfield. North Texas has boasted the nation's leading rusher in each of the past two seasons and with both players back and healthy there is no reason why the team shouldn't be among the nation best in rushing in 2005. Cobbs, who was slated for a big year in 2004, was sidelined with knee injures which kept him off the field for nearly the entire campaign. The injuries to Cobbs led to the emergence of Thomas, who went on to lead the nation in rushing (189.9 ypg) while scoring 17 touchdowns. Thomas set numerous records, including an NCAA freshman mark for 200-yard rushing games (five) in a season. He also set a UNT and Sun Belt record with 1,801 yards, earning him the league's Offensive and Freshman Player of the Year awards. Fans will finally get to see if Cobbs and Thomas can coexist in the backfield. Having a powerful rushing attack should only help the growing pains of quarterback Daniel Meager, who takes over for the departed Scott Hall. Meager, who is a redshirt freshman, should also benefit from the return of Johnny Quinn, who is one of the most dangerous wideouts in the SBC. Quinn is coming off a career year in which grabbed 49 balls for 785 yards and nine scores.

During the Mean Green's tremendous run through the Sun Belt over the past four years the defensive unit has been a staple of consistency. However, that was not the case last season. North Texas struggled with inexperience in '04 and allowed a whopping 414.2 total ypg and that is something Coach Dickey hopes the team can change in 2005. The defense should show signs of improvement this year, but how much improvement depends on the progress of the young, inexperienced players. The biggest concern for this unit comes on the defensive line, where North Texas must replace all four starters from a year ago. End Eli Hutchinson, who has the most experience on the line, will make the start tonight for the Mean Green and should be the leader of this unit throughout the season. The linebacking corps is no doubt the strongest unit of the Mean Green defense. Led by middle linebacker Derek Mendoza, the squad will be the anchor to an otherwise weak defense. Corner T. J. Covington will lead a secondary which was torched for 241.1 passing ypg last fall.

The Blue Raiders, who were horrendous on the ground last season, racking up just 106.5 ypg, started the 2005 campaign where they left off, totaling just 34 yards on 25 carries in the loss to Alabama last week. Eugene Gross led the inept ground attack with just 37 yards on 12 carries, while Alex Suber contributed a meager 22 yards on seven carries. The ineffective ground attack probably hindered a passing game that ranked 15th in the nation last season.

QB Clinton Marks completed 12-of-18 attempts for just 117 yards and one score which is far off from his 2004 numbers, when he passed for 2,749 yards on the season. Coming into the season Chris Henry was supposed to be the main target for Marks, but in the opener Henry caught just one pass for negative four yards. Instead of using Henry, Marks more often than not threw towards Cleannord Saintil, who grabbed five balls for 64 yards. Expect the Blue Raiders' passing game to post much better numbers against a weak UNT secondary.

While the MTSU offense struggled to post points, the defense had trouble handling the Crimson Tide offense, allowing 345 yards in the setback. The Blue Raiders did hold the Tide to just 212 passing yards, which is an improvement from 2004 when the MTSU defensive unit allowed 273.5 ypg through the air. The defense was unable to pressure the QB, recording just one sack on the night.

MTSU also struggled against the Crimson Tide's ground attack, allowing 133 yards and two scores. After missing all of last season with a neck injury, linebacker Jonathan Bonner returned last week and collected 5 1/2 tackles.

Although the return of Bonner was special, the leader on the defensive side against Alabama was Bradley Robinson who had 8 1/2 stops and one interception in the setback. MTSU must do a better job up front, or expect then to struggle against the run again.

Middle Tennessee State should give the Mean Green a good fight, but expect UNT to run Cobbs and Thomas all the way to a 26th straight Sun Belt Conference victory.

Predicted Outcome: North Texas 34, Middle Tennessee State 20

What that doesn't say, is that Darby had 5 carries for 65 yards in one drive in the third quarter. After we made adjustments, we shut down their running game again.

Your running game is not as good as Alabama's. See you Saturday.

This sounds so familiar. Anybody remember these kinda statments:

Booger is NOT that good. We blocked (random BCS school lineman) well and there is ZERO CHANCE he is better than him.

Although the return of Bonner was special, the leader on the defensive side against Alabama was Bradley Robinson who had 8 1/2 stops and one interception in the setback. MTSU must do a better job up front, or expect then to struggle against the run again

the return of the Bonner is always a special occasion. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Edited by bigrobdsp

What that doesn't say, is that Darby had 5 carries for 65 yards in one drive in the third quarter. After we made adjustments, we shut down their running game again.

LOL, and your defense this year isn't anywhere near as good as Colorado's last year.

The game will be a lot closer than 14 points. As for the Colorado defense the only reason UNT had the rushing yards they did was due to the amount of possessions they had. If you remember Colorado hung a half a hundred on UNT. This is a 7-10 point game max. If the offensive line of UNT can give Megar a litle time to throw and open up the running game UNT will Win. If Megar has to run for his life all day it won't matter who is in the backfield the MUTS will win. I hope it goes UNT's way but it is going to be a close game.

The game will be a lot closer than 14 points.  As for the Colorado defense the only reason UNT had the rushing yards they did was due to the amount of possessions they had.  If you remember Colorado hung a half a hundred on UNT. This is a 7-10 point game max.  If the offensive line of UNT can give Megar a litle time to throw and open up the running game UNT will Win.  If Megar has to run for his life all day it won't matter who is in the backfield the MUTS will win.  I hope it goes UNT's way but it is going to be a close game.

Well, Crown Bear, FWIW, it was a close game last year. It's always a close game. This year may be different if all the MG pistons are running in place as I think they could.

And I will say this, too: The MUTS better be glad they are getting this Mean Green team now than later this Fall (and that is all I'm going to say about that). rolleyes.gif

This year we have the fastest running NT QB the 30 plus years I've followed MG football; yet, Coach Dickey will not put this game on the fleet RS frosh Meager's shoulders, just like he didn't the great Andrew Smith who like Meager was also a RS freshman QB with #12 leading NT to a bowl win. In other words, NORTH TEXAS has had pretty good luck with a RS freshman as our QB.

MUTS can put as many of the line as they want, but the MUTS would be NUTS to leave Johnny Quinn" and Joel Nwigwe (who caught a 63 yard TD pass against MT last time we were in the 'Boro) wondering about in the perimeter of their secondary alone with only one on one coverage as they put more on the line trying to stop Cobbs or Thomas. Anyone else think that QB Daniel Meager could also run a QB draw and go............ALL----THE---- WAY? rolleyes.gif

SPEAKING OF Sir P. COBBS: We do have "the Emerald Express" back even looking a step quicker than before his injury; and although Super Jamario Thomas had a bad game with the MUTS last year with only 180 plus yards against basically the same defense we will see this Saturday, I think he would like to break the 200 plus yards barrier against the Radas' in this game. blink.gif

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Right. Alabama has such an awesome running attack. What were we thinking...we've only got the first ever tandem of defending national rushing champions???

Don't be surprised if both Jamario and Patrick manage to post a 65-yard gain on a single play rather than the 5 plays you mentioned.

As usual Plumm Mean Green you are talking with your heart and not your head. If you think I am talking smack about UNT you are mistaken. I was mearly making an observation. I would like to see UNT run away with this game but I just don't think it is going to happen. I am well aware of what Cobbs and Thomas can do with the help of a good line and playing Sunbelt competition. As for megar, he is yet to take a college snap and you are talking like he is a senior. Let me repeat I hope UNT wins, however I believe it may me a close game won late in the trehches.

As usual Plumm Mean Green you are talking with your heart and not your head.  If you think I am talking smack about UNT you are mistaken.  I was mearly making an observation.  I would like to see UNT run away with this game but I just don't think it is going to happen.  I am well aware of what Cobbs and Thomas can do with the help of a good line and playing Sunbelt competition.  As for megar, he is yet to take a college snap and you are talking like he is a senior.  Let me repeat I hope UNT wins, however I believe it may me a close game won late in the trehches.

SBC competition? NT has beaten Texas Tech 3 out of the last 6 times we've played them and one of those was a Darrell Dickey-coached win. Seems we even (not just beat) but slaughtered Baylor 2 years ago at Fouts Field and I have no idea what happened in the game last year--wasn't there; although I know it was hardly a slaughter score-wise as the year before.

NORTH TEXAS has a good offensive line. We have a 2005 Lombardy/Outland Trophy nominated guard in that line surrounded by 4 other pretty formidable offensive linemen. One or two of the other offensive lineman very well could be up to make All SBC this Fall. Sure we know thats not All Big 12, but we also know we don't mortgage the family ranch with our athletic budget either as to finish in that league's lower depths.

I think I did say Daniel Meager was a Redshirt frosh QB and I don't think I said anything that made him seem as if the were a seasoned senior QB. I said he was fleet of foot, so does that make him sound like an experienced senior QB? You are reading things in between the lines. And....what is your big interest in this NT vs MT game as it is? Are you really a closet MUTS fan or something? LOL! I think I read between the lines that you probably wouldn't mind if the MUTS handed our heads to their coach on a silver platter, too, while we're all reading in between the lines. blink.gif

BTW, Crown Bear, go get a copy of ESPN "The Magazine" at your local newstand tomorow and read about the Mean Green, Patrick Cobbs and Super Jamario Thomas. Not bad for a school in the Sun Belt, eh? It would inspire even the best of Baylor Bears fans everywhere. unsure.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

You know,guys like this really do nothing but make me mad,they have one yearly stop to our boards to say the same stuff. They try to talk trash even though they haven't beat us 4 YEARS IN A ROW!!!! mad.gif

They bring up the same dumb insults such as calling us NTSU and trash-talking about our backs even though they stomp on the raiders.

You crazy MTSU fans have got consistency,I'll give you that. You never give up posting these messages about how you're going to beat us.

25 in a row, got anything to say about that?

Say what you will. If you're coming up, stop by the group tailgating by the hall of fame building. I'll be the one warming up the crow for you after the game.

Crow, what for? I'll see you there my friend and look forward to hear how your convinced why it is that if we were to finally lose to you after 4 straight wins that we deserve to eat some crow? You do realize don't you that your first lost to us was with a 5-0 team losing to an 0-5 North Texas team? Or were you around then?

Rick

The starters on a decent-to-good mid-major could very well make their case for starting at any school in the country. With the exception of the bottom feeders each year, the difference between them (the BcS) and the rest of us becomes significant at the 2-3 string level.

Say what you will about the SBC, but leading the nation in rushing at any level can't be dismissed as if accomplished by an average back.

Seems like last year we had WAY more questions on the o-line than this year. Am i remembering wrong?

And we've got BOTH runninng backs back behind that line? AND...this year we have Quinn with (do you remember this guy) Nwigwe...

I have this cartoonish image in my head of Meager throwing the worst rainbow pass ever, Quinn leap-frogging all the MUTS in the field before he catches and laterals to a streaking Thomas. *cough* sorry..back to reality.

You all couldn't stop a 2002 offense that had a rFr at QB, no Quinn, no Thomas, no Nwigwe, and Cobbs watching Galbreath start from the sidelines. Your D may be vastly better, but so is our O.

I know its different becuase its just a game, but there is some things in NCAA 2006 that show what kind of team is going to be that year. For those of you that play, you will notice that if you turn off fatigue so that the starters can play every down and you dont have to substitute in the second string any, NT can play with just about anybody you throw at them. As stated earlier, our first string can play with the bigboys but eventually they wear down and our depth doesnt compare to that of the big BCS boys.

PlummMeanGreen:

Kinda funny how you can remember the one and only time UNT beat Baylor but cant remember the score last year in Waco. I think it was 34-17 and UNT had less than 100 yards on the ground (because Thomas was injured???) He broke a nice run for a td in the first quarter of about 45 yards but did nothing after that. As I mentioned in my earlier post I hope UNT wins and I am not a closet MUTS fan. If you didn't even make the trip to Waco to support your team last year it makes me wonder how great of a fan you may be. I see most of the games in Denton and have made one Bowl game. Other than the Baylor game two years ago I cant remember the last time UNT won an OOC game. Just trying to have a little fun to pass the time away until Saturday. If I caused you to get your panties in a wad then I apologize. As for the win over Baylor, enjoy it because you know it will never happen again.

PlummMeanGreen:

Kinda funny how you can remember the one and only time UNT beat Baylor but cant remember the score last year in Waco.  I think it was 34-17 and UNT had less than 100 yards on the ground (because Thomas was injured???)  He broke a nice run for a td in the first quarter of about 45 yards but did nothing after that.  As I mentioned in my earlier post I hope UNT wins and I am not a closet MUTS fan.  If you didn't even make the trip to Waco to support your team last year it makes me wonder how great of a fan you may be.  I see most of the games in Denton and have made one Bowl game.  Other than the Baylor game two years ago I cant remember the last time UNT won an OOC game.  Just trying to have a little fun to pass the time away until Saturday.  If I caused you to get your panties in a wad then I apologize.  As for the win over Baylor, enjoy it because you know it will never happen again.

You would be correct...Thomas did get injured at the end of the 1st Quarter I think (maybe early 2nd). And I think he still had 58 yards that quarter...not bad.

Just an FYI...Thomas averaged more yards against BCS schools than Sunbelt.

And someone (who must be crazy) stated that Alabama's running game was on par with UNT??? What???

Also remember that Colorado did win big, but we were able to put up over 500 yards of offence againt them, and they only had about 50 yards more of offence than UNT. MTSU could not even go how many yards vs. Alabama? BTW at the time Colorado was number 4 in the nation in total D.