Lot Riding On QB's First Start

MeanGreen61

Football: Lot riding on QB’s first start

25-game SBC win streak on line when Meager, UNT open against Blue Raiders

07:51 AM CDT on Tuesday, September 6, 2005

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

user posted image

Running from a horde of defensive linemen on the road against a nationally-ranked team doesn’t sound like an inviting way to start a career, but that is how North Texas quarterback Daniel Meager would have preferred to spend Saturday night.

The redshirt freshman wanted some experience on the college level heading into the Mean Green’s Sun Belt Conference opener against Middle Tennessee this week, even if it meant risking a pummeling against LSU.

The opportunity slipped away when the Mean Green’s game against the Tigers was postponed due to the effects of Hurricane Katrina.

“I would have liked to have gotten the game in, but we will have to go out this weekend and do our thing,” Meager said. “All I have to do is stay within myself and the offense.”

UNT is hoping Meager can follow that plan and extend its run of dominance in the Sun Belt. The Mean Green have won 25 straight conference games, captured four consecutive league titles and made four straight trips to the New Orleans Bowl.

Middle Tennessee could be the team with the best chance of breaking the Mean Green’s grip on the league. The Blue Raiders return 17 starters and feature quarterback Clint Marks, a preseason All-Sun Belt selection.

MTSU opened its season at Alabama on Saturday and trailed by just two points halftime before succumbing to the Crimson Tide 26-7.

“So many things come up during a college football season that we have no control over,” UNT coach Darrell Dickey said. “We don’t know if not playing LSU will give us an advantage or a disadvantage against Middle Tennessee.”

Introducing Meager into the starting lineup is just one of the adjustments the Mean Green will make against the Blue Raiders. UNT has just eight returning starters and will depend on several inexperienced players to make an immediate impact.

UNT is replacing all four of its starting defensive linemen, three of its defensive backs and three offensive linemen.

“We will still be ready for Middle [Tennessee],” UNT defensive back Ja’Mel Branch said. “The new guys will just need a couple of plays at the beginning of the game to settle in and we will go from there.”

Even when the Mean Green has been loaded with experienced players, its game against Middle Tennessee has ranked among the most difficult of the Sun Belt season. UNT has won all four meetings in the series, but has never beaten the Blue Raiders by more than 10 points.

If the Mean Green has an advantage this season, it will be the element of surprise. UNT returns the last two national rushing champions in Patrick Cobbs and Jamario Thomas. No one is quite sure how UNT will mix and match both players.

“North Texas is tough no matter when you play them,” MTSU coach Andy McCollum said. “We don’t know what they will do with those two running backs, but I don’t see them getting away from what has made them successful.”

UNT’s formula for success in the past has included a brutal non-conference schedule that has prepared the Mean Green for Sun Belt play. Hurricane Katrina changed those plans, leaving UNT with a new challenge and its most important opener in years.

“We will be ready because it’s a conference game,” UNT offensive lineman Jason May said. “If we can come in and get a win, it will set the tempo for the season.”

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.

SLOW START, QUICK FINISH

North Texas has started slowly during tough non-conference campaigns the last four seasons only to battle back and win the Sun Belt Conference title. The following is a year-by-year comparison.

Season Non-Conf. SBC

start record

2001 0-4 5-1

2002 1-5 6-0

2003 1-3 7-0

2004 0-4 7-0

After watching FSU, Miami, and OU play thier first games with new QB's, I am thankful that we have some quality running backs in our backfield. This game could end up being a huge game by virtue of the fact that we have a new one and have not played a game as of yet.

I think we will end up winning, because I don't think there is anyone in the SBC that can stop our RB's.

I'm predicting we will see a lot of the 2002 season with our QB play this year. I can't find the stats on it but I remember Andrew wasn't allowed to throw the ball much at all against Nichols State. Then as the season wore on and he learned the system better he threw more. Towards the end of the season he really got to show his talents and it started with the game against the Middle in which he completed 14 passes for 206 yards and two TD's. He ended up with the second highest QB rating for the conference that year. Final stats were:

In 13 games Andrew Smith had,

196 attempts

91 completions

9 Int's

1206 yards

7 TD's.

That's averaging only 15 passes a game, and this by a guy who could freaking wing the ball on a rope with accuracy anywhere on the field. Who knows how damn good Andrew could have been with the pass? We will never know of course. The 2002 season certainly was no measure?

To me I see this as the track Danny will be put on as well. If so and you go with our history, you can expect between 8 to 10 passes total in this game. DD believes in the Darrel Royal philosophy that "three things can happen when you pass the ball and two of them ain't good".

EAT UP THE CLOCK AND RUN BABY RUN!!!!!!!!

Rick

To me I see this as the track Danny will be put on as well.  If so and you go with our history, you can expect between 8 to 10 passes total in this game.  DD believes in the Darrel Royal philosophy that "three things can happen when you pass the ball and two of them ain't good".

Rick

DD is already conservative enough about passing, without even considering that he now has Cobbs and Thomas to hand off to plus has an untested freshman at QB in his first game. If we move the ball with JC and PC without having to pass, there will be no passes.

I realize that Daniel Meager has a lot riding on his shoulders right now, but do we have to keep fretting about it? All the talk in the world is not going to give him snaps in a college game.

All this talk is making me sit on pins and needles - I can't even imagine how it could be getting to him. I say, best of luck Daniel - we know you've got the talent to lead our team to victory and we know you will play your best on Saturday.

I'm predicting we will see a lot of the 2002 season with our QB play this year.  I can't find the stats on it but I remember Andrew wasn't allowed to throw the ball much at all against Nichols State.  Then as the season wore on and he learned the system better he threw more.  Towards the end of the season he really got to show his talents and it started with the game against the Middle in which he completed 14 passes for 206 yards and two TD's.  He ended up with the second highest QB rating for the conference that year.  Final stats were:

In 13 games Andrew Smith had,

196 attempts

91 completions

9 Int's

1206 yards

7 TD's.

That's averaging only 15 passes a game, and this by a guy who could freaking wing the ball on a rope with accuracy anywhere on the field.  Who knows how damn good Andrew could have been with the pass?  We will never know of course.  The 2002 season certainly was no measure?

To me I see this as the track Danny will be put on as well.  If so and you go with our history, you can expect between 8 to 10 passes total in this game.  DD believes in the Darrel Royal philosophy that "three things can happen when you pass the ball and two of them ain't good".

Rick

Plus don't forget, we were fortunate enough to have arguably the best defense in the history of Mean Green Football that season also.

I don't think we'll duplicate that this year.

I agree with FFR inasmuch as DD will not allow Meager to do things that will destroy a young player's confidence. I don't think NT will win or lose this game because of Meager unless he fumbles from center quite a bit. No matter what Meager's injury history is, he is still the most highly recruited Texas HS football QB we've had in Denton since Hayden Fry recruited the great Kenny Washington of Port Arthur Lincoln HS.

I think the MUTS will on each play of the game have to respect the threat that All America wide receiver candidate Johnny "the Mighty" Quinn will be throughout this game because JQ runs a 4.4 and can catch well thrown or badly thrown passes---all Meager has to do is get the ball anywhere JQ can touch any part of that football and he will catch it.

I believe this game will be close thru 3 quarters, but then the Mean Green's SUPER RUNNING BACK TANDEM, ie, Sir Patrick Cobbs and Super Jamario Thomas will own the 4'th quarter for the Mean Green & then finish out this game.

We (and the MUTS folks) need to remember that they are no Big 12 defense and we did quite well against 2 of those last year with pretty well the same offenisve line we have this year--maybe a better one.

ALSO: "IF"............ somehow we lost this game at the Boro', I don't think NT will be out of the SBC football race at all, because MT still has to go to Troy U and also go on the road to play what is becoming a very formidable FIU football team whose QB was SBC Player of the Week as he led his team in in a pretty close game against the Kansas State Wildcats. Too many things can happen in the 'Belt this year, folks! unsure.gif

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Just think what this game could do for Meager if he is to have a decent game? a good game?

This could be GREAT! He has the ability. He wasn't highly touted without reason. Has he looked like a freshman at times? Yes. That is what he is.

If he is successful at MTSU, and that doesn't mean 300 yds and 4 TD's, that is just make some plays, and don't turn the ball over, things could be really great for our program in the future. Why? Because his confidence could go through the roof if he can manage a victory in this type of game.

I think the worst possible thing could be DD pulling him if he made some mistakes, and that is why I don't like the platoon system.

No matter how a coach tells a player, when he gets pulled in a platoon system, I don't think it helps his confidence any. Let Meager be the guy, let him take his lumps, and let him be comfortable enough to carry us if need be in 2006.

If he gets hurt, let Phillips see what he can do, but right now, they obviuosly saw something in Meager, let him be the man for a significant amount of time.

...and the answer is YES, i do know what the other side of the coin is!

Guest Aquila_Viridis

If you don't pass the ball because you're afraid of an interception, then they will put all their defense up and it will be too hard to make enough yards consistently to keep the ball moving. I saw a lot of you at the New Orleans bowl last year, so you know the outcome.

The good news is, that was a lot better defense from Southern Miss than we will see Saturday. I don't think any one of them will have 'flubber' on his shoes like Michael Boley. However, even if they are not so great, if they have all those guys up there taking up space, it is going to be trouble.

So, you have to get them moving back by way of a RELENTLESS SHORT PASSING GAME. I don't mean every down, just that you throw frequently, and whenever you do throw, it is a little pass that has a high chance of completion and a low chance of interception. And move it around, so they never know where it's coming from. So you do get an interception now and then. It is not the end of the world. And the real upside is it opens up space in which our talented backs can move, and keep on moving. It will more than compensate for turnovers.

Once our guys get some room, the other team will pay, and their payments will be frequent and in large, painful amounts. We will see MT defenders laying on the ground like they tried to tackle a ghost.

RSPG!

GMG!

UNT!

Rick the one big difference between Drew (God rest his soul) and Daniel is that Daniel can flat out fly. Drew had an unbelievable arm but he was not very fleet of foot. We never saw Daniel run very much in 2 a days. I talk to people that have watched Meager in high school and they tell me that he was extremely mobile. I get real excited thinking about seeing Daniel getting a chance to use his speed.

But regardless of who starts against MTSU - it was made clear by Dickey at the press conference that there are 3 QB's who have a chance to play in the game. Phillips and Haynes will likely get a shot to show what they can do as well.

MAN this is an exciting time! HUGE game on Saturday. GMG!

I agree with the majority of the posts...build this thing as the game goes on...short passes. Watch for the TE to be involved..really involved, little 5 yard curls or outs. watch for PC in the flat or JQ quick pass straight off the line of scrimmage. It would not surprise me one bit though if we were to take a couple of shots...rememeber in was Nigwe (sp?) who burned this teams a couple years ago in the boro. JQ will be flying too. I can picture him on a couple of passes across the middle. If I were game planning this game..I would bring the fight to them...let them wonder what we are going to so...and by all means I would mix this thing up...I would send PC in motion out of the backfield.

muts aint gonna know what hit them!!!

I do however have some concerns in the DB dept. muts threw on bama...that could be a bad thing. I cant bare to think about nt leading in the final minutes then get beat because we cant cover someone in the 2 minute offense.

Cant wait for the game my football glands are swelling...(my beer glands, too)

Nwigwe put a stake in MTSU's heart on the road a couple of year ago. I was there in person and there wasn't a faster player on the field that day. Sometimes we all of the deserved JQ press we forget about JoEl. You just know that JoEl is pumped about this game.

Plus don't forget, we were fortunate enough to have arguably the best defense in the history of Mean Green Football that season also.

Very true, which is why I don't think this game's outcome sway's in the balance of how Danny Meager does. Because he won't be allowed to. Our defensive play is the key to this game.

As I typed earlier, look at how Andrew was managed in '02. He was mananged by not having the pressure on his shoulders by having the Emerald Express run the ball, running the clock, punting it back to play the field position wait-and-see game and playing defense at the top 10 level. You can go back through history and see many teams at any level who has faced a similar QB situation as ours in which they were managed by minimizing their opportunity to make mistakes. And while I agree with Harry about Danny's speed, and I too look forward to seeing it some day, we won't see it this coming saturday. And I'm sure Ramon and DD don't want to see it either. That's what the Emerald Express and SPJMo are for. Considering that the Middle fans are use to seeing the ball getting passed around all over the place, it's a safe bet that they are in for a real treat at how the other side of the coin operates.

How's the song go?

"Run the ball, Run the clock, Play the Conservative D!"

Rick