Fox SW 1A Team Rankings

MeanGreen61

Fox SW Sports ranking of the 20 1A teams in Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma & Texas.

1. Texas

2. LSU

3. Oklahoma

4. Texas Tech

5. Texas A&M

6. Oklahoma State

7. Arkansas

8. UTEP

9. TCU

10. North Texas

11. Houston

12. Tulane

13. Baylor

14. Louisiana Tech

15. Rice

16. Tulsa

17. SMU

18. UL-Lafayette

19. UL-Monroe

20. Arkansas State

Edited by MeanGreen61

Guest Aquila_Viridis

The only negative I can say about that at this point is I hate to see UTEP in there. Of all the schools over the years I thought I'd want NT to be ahead of, I never thought we'd have to worry about UTEP. Here's wishing them a very bad year!

sad.gif

Why the UTEP hate?  ph34r.gif

No hate from me.... I am just surprised UTEP has recovered so much so quickly...I am used to seeing 2-3 wins from them.... The question now can they sustain what they did last year.

I think the new conference situation will really help UTEP get attention in Texas now.. Even Midland in West Texas (my town) has totally ignored them, North Texas gets more attention probably than UTEP because several players from Midland/Odessa area go to NT.

For years NT and UTEP were the "outsiders" . All other Texas teams who are now division I schools were SWC members and we (UTEP and NT) were then pretty much ignored..... Times have changed... Younger people on this board don't realize how much.

No hate from me.... I am just surprised UTEP has recovered so much so quickly...I am used to seeing 2-3 wins from them.... The question now can they sustain what they did last year. 

I think the new conference situation will really help UTEP get attention in Texas now.. Even Midland in West Texas (my town) has totally ignored them, North Texas gets more attention probably than UTEP  because several players from Midland/Odessa area go to NT.

For years NT and UTEP were the "outsiders" . All other Texas teams who are now  division I schools were SWC members and we (UTEP and NT) were then pretty much ignored..... Times have changed... Younger people on this board don't realize how much.

I think the reason UTEP has progressed so much is that unlike the other non-bcs schools in Texas their fan base has actually grown instead of shrunk and they also have good facilities. The fact that they play good basketball also helps to bring them notoriety and money when they aren't playing football so that people have heard of them and are more likely to give them props. Last but not least is the fact they haven't had to drop to 1-AA like we did or join leagues like the Big West or Sun Belt that get no respect whatsoever.

Edited by GreenEddieNT

UTEP has the advantage of that's all there is out that way.  It'a a long way to El Paso.

Ah Nt4Life, while it might not have the excitement of the DFW area I hate to say that there are other things in this (El Paso) area. During the fall there are many activities but rather than debate this issue lets look at it from another angle. Even when UTEP has been bad they are for the most part ran a very wide open offense that the fans enjoy, they make the game day experience fun, they promote tail gating and they set up (or at least they have in the past) family Fun Zones where for very little money the kids can play before the games and the Coaches and AD are always out promoting the games. Again, I’m not saying there is as much to do here as in the Denton area, but to their credit, the athletic department work hard to put on a good show.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

sad.gif

Why the UTEP hate?  ph34r.gif

Now it's not that I hate UTEP. Rather, over the years I have largely ignored UTEP, and all of a sudden there they are. That's what I hate. As an aside, it would take the edge off some if they changed their name to the University of El Paso.

Now it's not that I hate UTEP. Rather, over the years I have largely ignored UTEP, and all of a sudden there they are. That's what I hate. As an aside, it would take the edge off some if they changed their name to the University of El Paso.

They can't be Univ of El Paso, they are pulling from the UT fund that is why they becameUTEP...to get that money... UT system had more than could spend reasonably. They have to be named UT-somthing. They were " Texas Western" and earlier... "Texas School of Mines".