Help or hurt the team?

IslandEagle

Now that postponement is official, I guess it is ok to speculate on what impact this may have on the team.

On the plus side for us, more time to prepare very green QB's and time to see if a couple of players, especially on defense, can become eligible. More time to get ready for and scout MTSU.

On the minus side....loss of revenue (if game can't be rescheduled), boredom as players get tired of practicing against each other and, perhaps, most significant having to have the first game of the year be a conference game against a team that has already played one game. It has been a truism ever since I was a boy that teams show the most improvement between the first and second games.

I doubt of MTSU would agree to postpone to Dec. 10th and allow the LSU game to be played on the 17th, since it wouldn't be to their advantage and it is not even sure if LSU can be ready by the 17th.

What do others think?

Now that postponement is official, I guess it is ok to speculate on what impact this may have on the team.

On the plus side for us, more time to prepare very green QB's and time to see if a couple of players, especially on defense, can become eligible. More time to get ready for and scout MTSU.

On the minus side....loss of revenue (if game can't be rescheduled), boredom as players get tired of practicing against each other and, perhaps, most significant having to have the first game of the year be a conference game against a team that has already played one game. It has been a truism ever since I was a boy that teams show the most improvement between the first and second games.

I doubt of MTSU would agree to postpone to Dec. 10th and allow the LSU game to be played on the 17th, since it wouldn't be to their advantage and it is not even sure if LSU can be ready by the 17th.

What do others think?

We play Tulsa in Denton on the 17th. . . .

Devastation and loss of life is the "killer".  Sports is only a game.

My choice of words was not well thought out. I think postponing and/or cancelling this game is the right thing to do, and the people of Louisiana need our prayers and whatever help we can give them.

I was simply responding to the original question in the context of what losing this game means to the program. I should have chosen my words more carefully.

No, you shouldn't have to think out what you are going to say, people just need to lighten up! mad.gif

Everyone here knows the severity of what happened, and feels the same way about this horrible situation.

Lets not bust people in order to portray how sincere you feel about this disaster. Lets not call people out for no reason!

No, you shouldn't have to think out what you are going to say, people just need to lighten up! mad.gif

Everyone here knows the severity of what happened, and feels the same way about this horrible situation.

Lets not bust people in order to portray how sincere you feel about this disaster.  Lets not call people out for no reason!

my thoughts exactly. this is a football board and he was talking about football. I am sure you can find somwhere to talk with people about your feelings during this tragedy, but I think we all know what was being spoken of in this case. on the football note, this is terrible for the season. I am terrified of opening up against the MUTS on their home turf. dont forget we have a QB who has never started an NCAA football game. we have to assume that we have at least a 1/4 to a 1/2 of "getting use to the game" time. PC and JT better have their running shoes on if we want to come out with a W against a team that will have already had their opener.

Edited by bigrobdsp

IMHO, the decision to postpone this game was a good one from LSU officials.

As far as the question in the subject line of this thread? Many FB coaches would tell you that a football team improves most between the 1's and 2'nd game. In that regard, its a negative for NT, but sometimes I guess one can over-analyze all this stuff, too. rolleyes.gif

If we can get some hurt players healthy and another potential academic player gets some good news, maybe this helps NORTH TEXAS.

Only negative the Blue Raiders could have is if some of the Crimson Tide players put on some of the MT players the kind of thing they put on Cody Spencer a few years ago when he got hurt and they would not get off of him knowing he was hurt.

Post # 6,999

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

This is terrific news from the UNT football perspective - it gives us the extra week of prep for MTSU, we get to open with a game we can win (great for confidence) and we stay healthy. We should have never scheduled a game against LSU in the first place. Fellas we have a young team and playing LSU was not going to the best thing for them right now. I'm just sorry that it had to come due to the tragedy of the Hurrican aftermath. It truly never should have been scheduled in the first place.

Nothing good comes from that LSU game except the check.

This is terrific news from the UNT football perspective - it gives us the extra week of prep for MTSU, we get to open with a game we can win (great for confidence) and we stay healthy.  We should have never scheduled a game against LSU in the first place.  Fellas we have a young team and playing LSU was not going to the best thing for them right now.  I'm just sorry that it had to come due to the tragedy of the Hurrican aftermath.  It truly never should have been scheduled in the first place. 

It is likely we will play LSU Oct 29 and then play LaMonroe at the end of the season... we still get the check and have time to break in a QB and not get destroyed in week one.

This is terrific news from the UNT football perspective - it gives us the extra week of prep for MTSU, we get to open with a game we can win (great for confidence) and we stay healthy.  We should have never scheduled a game against LSU in the first place.  Fellas we have a young team and playing LSU was not going to the best thing for them right now.  I'm just sorry that it had to come due to the tragedy of the Hurrican aftermath.  It truly never should have been scheduled in the first place. 

Cant say that any better...bring on the MUTS!!!

GMG!!!

Have to agree with that. We took a beating last year in the opening at UT, then lost all confidence and the game the next week to FAU trying to recover. We will be better ready mentally for MTSU without playing LSU. I do hope we can meet later this $eason.

....and we needn't look any furthur than last years UT game to help make your point.

When are we going to start scheduling the ACU's and Angelo States again to open our seasons. rolleyes.gif

Last year's UT game proves nothing about any point!!

How does anyone think that it's a good thing that our two QB's will go into arguably our most important game of the season without taking any snaps EVER!!!!!

You can only prepare so much and play against each other so much.

Meager and Phillips would have gotten a great benefit from getting their feet wet at LSU in a hostile environment!

Of course, with their feet wet, their shoes wouldn't be salvageable and JohnDenver would streal them !! smile.gif

Read the thread regarding looting if you don't get it.

Guest JohnDenver

Last year's UT game proves nothing about any point!!

How does anyone think that it's a good thing that our two QB's will go into arguably our most important game of the season without taking any snaps EVER!!!!! 

Meager and Phillips would have gotten a great benefit from getting their feet wet at LSU in a hostile environment!

Of course, with their feet wet, their shoes wouldn't be salvageable and JohnDenver would streal them !!  smile.gif

Read the thread regarding looting if you don't get it.

I am not your whipping post. Continue the conversation in the other thread.

SouthBend would probably hold me under the water rather than let me into his store for shelter. Trespassing is a crime after all.

Edited by JohnDenver

They now have two more weeks to practice against NT's SBC Championship Defense. We also have film of MTSU schemes to practice off of. The QBs will be more prepared for a positive outcome against MTSU than they would have against LSU.

Edited by NT80

Not sure if anyone will know this but...do you think that LSU will pay any portion of the $500k to NT. After all it was there call to cancell the game.

Not trying to be heartless here but they preached the contract not NT. I wonder if there is a preach of contract clause that states portions of the alloted amount will be paid upon breach of contract.

I'm sure there is a Mother Nature clause in there too. Just trying to get some money out of this game regardless if we play or not.

I agree this is great news we open with MUTS...we'll kick the holy sh*t out of them then come back to Fouts, WIN, and be looking right down the barrell of the Purple pansies from 2-0...beat them we're 3-0 and off to the races.

Someone call NO tell them to get OUR QUARTER cleaned up...we'll be there in a few months.

Happy Football Season Everyone!!!!!