Some thoughts to Ponder

Harry

Will Ajani Banks show up at 6-3, 325 ready to crack the starting lineup?

Is Evan Robertson a Jamel Branch clone with more raw speed?

Will "Special K: Korey Washington play corner or quarterback?

Will Dominique Green be the explosive athlete we expected?

Is Bryan Paris a small school phenom that is undersized or can he be this team's version of Andy Brewster at center?

Is Kartey Agbottah the real deal at safety? Will super athlete Desmon Chatman end up at safety?

The two "naturals" lineman Jonathan Stewart and Jack Crumes both played just one year of high school football. Are they shockingly able to help us now, diamonds in the rough or wishful thinking?

Which walk-on will be the Derek Mendoza or Chris Hurd of the future?

Who will be the one that doesn't make it, doesn't show up in shape or gets homesick? Perhaps this player will realize that the raod to playing time is too long like Thomas Pratt last year?

What about Eddrick Gilmore? Will he stay at a loaded tight end position or help the team at defensive end?

Who - if anyone - won't make their grades? Hopefully everyone will be eligible.

What about DE Willie Ransom? Is he the real deal? Is he the tenacious pass rusher we need so desparately?

Are Joseph Miller and Robert Peachey projects that have years before they contribute or does one of them show up bigger, stronger and faster than the coaches expected?

What about the young QB's? Will Steve Warren impress coach Flanigan more than Matt Phillips?

Will Muskogee's finest Charley Brown find his niche at a deep tight end position?

It's these questions that make this time of year so damn interesting and fun!

GMG!

We'll know for sure on Wednesday.

"What about DE Willie Ransom? Is he the real deal? Is he the tenacious pass rusher we need so desparately?"

--so, this is a change from recent posts....does this mean the rumors were false and he'll be here this fall?

If practice doesn't start until tomorrow, what is going on with the freshman today. Are they just reporting for physicals, height/weight, orientation, etc...? Will they be conditioning?

Yeah they get set up in their dorms, get their paperwork addressed. There is a teamwide meeting tonight to address goals expectations etc...

I've always wondered about why DD was so fond of having so many TE's on the team.

It normally takes a pretty good athlete to play tight end in High School. Even if his team runs the wishbone and the TE is just a glorified tackle. He is normally one on the better blockers on the team and has pretty good speed.

It is the speed that allows the switch to a number of positions, like defensive end oe fullback. If he does not have great speed, he has the frame to put on wait and become an offensive lineman.

A good HS tight end is one of the most valuable recruits in college because of the above mentioned things.

That is why DD is so fond of having so many TE's on the team.

Harry touched on the real question... who plays the safety spots? I still think Cotton is good enough to handle the FS gig, but Agbottah has serious talent too. I know I'll take a hit on this one, but I would also try Colt Mahan at SS. I know he is listed at LB, but the guy can fly and hits like a freight train... I would also (here comes the left hook from you guys) try Jonathan Ieans at Safety. He's 6-5 and has speed. Why not gamble a little and just see if he can do it? I suspect he wont be in the top three at QB, and he is, at best, sixth on the receiver depth chart. (Quinn, Muzzy, Nwigwe, Jackson, R. Covington) We need to find a way to get this guy on the field and use his size and speed?

Regardless of who plays out there, DD will get the right person for each spot. After four conference titles, I think we can assume he knows what a safety looks like. I think this was the longest off-season so far...

THANK GOD the season is FINALLY back!!!!!

GMG!!!

Harry touched on the real question... who plays the safety spots? I still think Cotton is good enough to handle the FS gig, but Agbottah has serious talent too. I know I'll take a hit on this one, but I would also try Colt Mahan at SS. I know he is listed at LB, but the guy can fly and hits like a freight train... I would also (here comes the left hook from you guys) try Jonathan Ieans at Safety. He's 6-5 and has speed. Why not gamble a little and just see if he can do it? I suspect he wont be in the top three at QB, and he is, at best, sixth on the receiver depth chart. (Quinn, Muzzy, Nwigwe, Jackson, R. Covington) We need to find a way to get this guy on the field and use his size and speed?

Regardless of who plays out there, DD will get the right person for each spot.  After four conference titles, I think we can assume he knows what a safety looks like. I think this was the longest off-season so far...

THANK GOD the season is FINALLY back!!!!!

GMG!!!

You won't get any "left hook" from me. He's probably better suited to play safety than QB.

As to his speed. I haven't noticed that he's particularly fast (even being tall, which tends to hide how fast you're really going). Does anyone know his official 40 time?

I like the thinking outside the box on Jonathan Ieans but I don't believe he has the aggressiveness to play safety. He has the size, but I haven't seen the heart as of yet.

I believe the Brandon Jackson would be a better fit as a safety. He showed last year that he has NO fear and that is what is needed at safety.

I would like to see Phillip Graves at safety. He's damn sure fast enough and brings some experience to the crew.

With the number of capable linebackers, I think it makes sense to keep an athlete like Graves on the field, however you do it.

Seems like Dickey often lined up Craig Jones and Jonas Buckles as sort of a fourth linebacker anyway.