Target

Sound_Man

---Could not find any email address...Was going to mention that we are approximately the same size as SMU, Baylor, and TCU "combined".... They were missing a very large group (market).....

---We are getting better in that area, I see a lot more NT "things" worn and for sale out here in West Texas than a few years ago. Not good yet, but there is more since the demise of the SWC and since our football program has been more sucessful. Playing more name schools helps get attention as well (even that UT mess makes people aware of us). I had overheard several comment three years ago when NT sacked Simms about 9 times and kept them out of the endzone for over a half, they weren't happy.. There is less SMU, Houston, TCU and Rice stuff it seems since SWC is gone.

---Not being in metroplex, I get a different view that most of yawl do. The Tech folks were REALLY unhappy when NT defeated them about 4-5 years ago and were shaking their heads the next time when we almost won but fumbled after a long pass near the 10 at the end of the game.

---We are slowly making progress. I expect UTEP to also get more Texas attention now that they are playing in CUSA. Everyone out here has pretty much always ignored them. I really get upset at some of the posters who constantly put us and the Belt down, we are gettting more attention than I can ever remember outside of metroplex. It will get better as time passes and the SWC years and that "click" is forgotten. During that era NT and UTEP were the only I-A teams not in the SWC (cuss SMU) and we were unfortunately put into I-AA part of that time.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Again, I think it is amazing the kind of support and exposure that Appalachian State gets compared to North Texas. It is kind of embarrassing, really.

NO IAA school should get more exposure than a IA school, IMHO. But, they really do market themselves better, have more fan support, alumni support, etc. so I guess I cannot complain...

Again, I think it is amazing the kind of support and exposure that Appalachian State gets compared to North Texas.  It is kind of embarrassing, really.

NO IAA school should get more exposure than a IA school, IMHO.  But, they really do market themselves better, have more fan support, alumni support, etc. so I guess I cannot complain...

And to build on your comment, here in Houston, you are more than likely to find SFA and Texas State merchandise then you will North Texas merchandise. And if you do find North Texas merchandise anywhere here in Houston, it's more than likely outdated by several years.

And to build on your comment, here in Houston, you are more than likely to find SFA and Texas State merchandise then you will North Texas merchandise. And if you do find North Texas merchandise anywhere here in Houston, it's more than likely outdated by several years.

I think that is because of the road blocks that North Texas has always thrown up to block vendors from manufacturing our merchandise.

In a fare comparison, the sportwear section of the Wal-Mart in San Marcos is painted and carpeted in Texas State's colors, they carried a full line of TSU fan gear, and they had Texas State collectibles like pennants, signs, trash cans, shot glasses...

The Wal-Mart in Denton carries squat for North Texas.

Every single time you ask a retailer why they don't sell North Texas merchandise you get the same answer. "We can't get the licensing through the university."

I don't like to point fingers, but I have no reason to doubt them.

I guess we'll get a pretty good snapshot of the situation from Steve and Barry's. They have rushed into production of North Texas gear. To get access to the new branding (colors and logos) they will have to go through the university. It will be very obvious if they run into a brick wall.

Honestly, I think most people here in Houston have no idea we even exist. I will say that our success in football has definitely helped our name recognition. But, we have a long way to go.

Again, I think it is amazing the kind of support and exposure that Appalachian State gets compared to North Texas. It is kind of embarrassing, really.

NO IAA school should get more exposure than a IA school, IMHO. But, they really do market themselves better.......

Absolutely correct! And ADLER pointed it out the most, the fault lies in the effort coming out of North Texas. There has been too many examples for the fault to lie somewhere else.

Suggestion: I would guess that it would be an interesting expereience for someone curious enough to find out truly what's up by simply picking up the phone and calling the person in charge for collegiate licensing at App State and just ask them the process they have gone through. I would point out their success that I've noticed lately. Most people in that position are more than happy to discuss how they have tried to separate themselves from the rest. I did this with TCU two springs ago to find out if they actually have one, and if so what supposed "IMPOSSIBILITIES" they go through to have a season ticket drive during THEIR spring game. I got an earfull from the person I spoke with...AND an invite to come see for myself.

Rick

Greetings from Target.com.

We appreciate the time you took to share your comments and I've

forwarded them to the appropriate people in our company. Feedback

like yours helps us continue to improve the selection and service we

provide to all of our guests.

Thanks for your e-mail. I hope you will visit us again soon.

Best regards,

Eric S

Target.com Guest Service

http://www.target.com

No question we have a ways to go, I opened the Houston Chronicle yesterday (sunday) and they are doing a piece featuring a different college football program to preview/analyze each day. This list includes the big 12 south, UH, Rice and heavy-hitters SFA, SHSU, Texas State, as well as Prarie View A&M, but not a mention of NT. I believe it also included TCU and SMU, but I cant remember now.  I do know I was SHOCKED to see all the schools listed they would be covering and not a mention of NT.

Even more the reason to add a Houston area radio station to the Mean Green Radio Network (MGRN). We know this board has an endless wish list, but a radio presence in the Bayou City may be one that belongs in the NT Department of Athletic's Top 5 list of priorities? Would a larger Mean Green Club with record numberso of dues-paying members help this become reality?

Houston NT Exes, any ideas on this?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

This is way I don't care if Target has anything that supports UNT ph34r.gif

Amazing Issue with Target Stores

If they have a good sale in their ads, take the ad to Wal-Mart,

where they will meet the price.

Dick Forrey of the Vietnam Veterans Association wrote.

"Recently we asked the local TARGET store to be a proud sponsor of

the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall during our spring recognition

event.

We received the following reply from the local TARGET management:

Veterans do not meet our area of giving.

We only donate to the arts, social action groups, gay &lesbian

causes, and education."

So I'm thinking, if the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall and veterans

in general do not meet their donation criteria, then something is

really wrong at this TARGET store.

We were not asking for thousands of dollars, not even hundreds, just

a small sponsorship for a memorial remembrance.

As a follow-up, I E-mailed the TARGET U.S. corporate headquarters

and their response was the same.

That's their national policy.

Then I looked into the company further.

They will not allow the Marines to collect for 'Toys for Tots' at

any of their stores.

And during the recent Iraq deployment, they would not allow families

of employees who were called up for active duty to continue their

insurance coverage while they were on military service.

Then as I dig further, TARGET is a French-owned corporation.

Now, I'm thinking again.

If TARGET cannot support American Veterans, then why should my

family and I support their stores by spending our hard earned

American dollars and to have their profits sent to France.

Without the American Vets, where would France be today?"

Feel free to pass this along to whomever you want.

Sincerely,

Dick Forrey

Veterans Helping Veterans

This is way I don't care if Target has anything that supports UNT ph34r.gif

<urban legend>

Read the real story at <a href=http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/target.asp>Snopes</a>.

Mr. Forrey has already issued a retraction/apology:

I made a mistake on this one, and I've learned a hard lesson — that's for sure. What started out as a message for the members in our organization has turned into a hate-type thing. I never wanted to start any national boycott. I just wish it would all stop.

Some people have used my words and perpetuated lies. It's sad that some of these people would use veterans as a way to push their own political views. I've sent out a retraction, and no one pays any attention.