Bad news coming

MootPoint

Yeah, we definitely need to hire the right guy to replace Dr. Pohl.

That's why I think we should hire Karl Rove. Anyone who could get Bush elected President TWICE.....would probably have UNT in the Big 12 by no later than 2007.

Plus, I've heard that Mr. Rove might be looking for work soon.

Seriously, Dr. Pohl thanks for all you've done. You WILL BE MISSED.

Maybe we could get Karl Rove to out MOOTPOINT. ph34r.gif

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I read this, I got the feeling that Dr. Pohl has been encouraged to step-down...and/or there is tension between him somebody above him that makes the work situation not very good...perhaps he doesn't have some authority that he thinks he should have...all speculation, but I bet there is some truth in here somewhere.

Structurally, being president of UNT is a tough situation. The president is the president, but there is a chancellor over a very small system right there on campus. (If I were president, I would prefer that the chancellor have an office in Fort Worth or Dallas!)There are not many other institutions for the chancellor to focus on. The president of UNT probably can't sneeze without the chancellor knowing about it. The chancellor is naturally going to weigh-in on a lot of decisions that would be the complete jurisdiction of a president on many other campuses, e.g., UT System presidents.

Interestingly, the UH also has a smallish system, but they solve this structural conflict by making the president of the main UH campus also the chancellor over the system. Everybody wears 2 hats; there isn't a separate chancellorship.

Obviously, a lot of good has come during Dr. Pohl's tenure. Certainly, 7 years is a respectable amount of time, but it is a little early if the situation is good...especially in light of the fact that he isn't currently being hired away.

Being a university president is a very, very demanding job.

I wish Dr. Pohl well as he wraps-up his tenure at UNT and moves-on.

Several questions immediately come to mind. Was this a pressured move..and was this the ultimate result of the tenure scandal? Also, thought I saw someone post on the board a few months back that Bobby Ray's term is up soon. How does that position get selected? What are our chances for at least retaining him?

Oh, and thank you, Dr. Pohl. I also got the chance to meet him while I served in SGA. He was new to campus but you could tell immediately that he really wanted to be at UNT. He showed a genuine care for the community and believed that we could acheive greater things. We were lucky to have him.

Edited by TIgreen01

Several questions immediately come to mind.  Was this a pressured move..and was this the ultimate result of the tenure scandal?  Also, thought I saw someone post on the board a few months back that Bobby Ray's term is up soon.  How does that position get selected?  What are our chances for at least retaining him?

Exactly what's going on in my mind. Conflict with Jackson? Did the anti-athletic academia finally get to Jackson? Will Bobby Ray even be around to vote on the next NT President?

I just received this email at 1:10PM:

NORTH TEXAS INSIDER Special Alert July 19 2005

Dear (gangrene):

This morning I informed the campus community that after serving nearly

seven years as Provost and President of UNT I plan to explore new

opportunities. So, I will neither seek nor accept an extension of my

administrative contract beyond August 31, 2006.

Because you are an important member of the university community, I wanted

you to be among the first to hear the news directly from me. I invite you

to read the letter I wrote to campus (

http://www.unt.edu/newuntfeatures/pohlletterjul19.htm ) as well as the news

release announcing my plans ( http://web2.unt.edu/news/story.cfm?story=9269

). 

I look forward to keeping you up-to-date on UNT news for the remainder of

our time together. You will receive the July edition of the North Texas

Insider next week.

Sincerely,

Norval

I guess I'm not as important as everyone else reading this thread!!! Damn it...I'm always the last one to know everything!!

I've seen a lot of positive changes under Dr. Pohl and I want to hear the real story behind this move myself. I'm sad to see him go. I certainly hope this isn't the preface to a much larger and horrific Baylor-esque story. The amount of notice he is giving the university does NOT lead me to believe that may be the case.

Didn't TAMU recently replace their president? I don't recall the exact names but I do remember that they had some pretty high profile candidates.

Edited by gangrene

very sad...very sad.

Just let RV stay the course and be a part of the decision making process for the next hire...please.

If some of the academians and anti-athletic departments on campus have their way, we will replace Pohl with an anti-athletic president. I'm not ready to say that the sky is falling, but I have to say that I am concerned.

This may just force RV out... sad.gif

As I have said before this was the one person we could not afford to lose. To those of you who weren't at the spring President's Council tour of the Athletic Center where RV outlined the progress of the dept. and the facilities programs, RV said "I attribute all this progress and our successes to one man--Dr. Norval Pohl". I have been through 6 presidents since I have been around North Texas and there has never been a one of them even half the man of Norval Pohl. Those who look at all through green colored glasses I hope you are right--personally I feel this is the blackest day at NT since the announcement to drop to 1-AA. I more strongly than ever feel that the announcement of the departure of RV will not be far behind. It is a well known fact that his resume is out there on the street as well. Amazing the power of politics--thank you LJ.

The sky ain't fallin' guys!!!

Do you really think that UNT is going to replace Dr. Pohl with someone who is naive about athletics or who does not support the type of D-1 athletic program that, we as alum/students/avid UNT boosters, want in Denton, Texas????

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

We will more than likely get someone of equal or greater value than Dr. Pohl, period!!!!

Personally, I am not worried because UNT is not headed back toward D-1AA we are moving forward to winning more Sun Belt Conferences in all sports and moving up to a better conference affiliation.

Who knows, the replacement may have a better inside track to the desires of all our aspirations.

So chill out!!

I also wanted to post that I think Dr Pohl is an amazing person who has done incredible things for this university. It would be hard to find someone that does not like him or commend him on the job that he has done at North Texas. I had the opportunity to work in the President's office for 1 1/2 years with Dr Pohl and from a personal stand point, I am sad because our university is losing a great man. I will say though that I hope everyone is involved in the selection of our new president....students, alumni, athletics, academics.....It is a critical time for North Texas and we need to make sure that all of our voices are heard. RV, please don't leave!

The sky ain't fallin' guys!!!

Do you really think that UNT is going to replace Dr. Pohl with someone who is naive about athletics or who does not support the type of D-1 athletic program that, we as alum/students/avid UNT boosters, want in Denton, Texas????

NO  NO  NO  NO  NO  NO  NO  NO NO  NO  NO  NO  NO  NO  NO  NO  NO  NO  NO  NO 

We will more than likely get someone of equal or greater value than Dr. Pohl, period!!!!

Personally, I am not worried because UNT is not headed back toward D-1AA we are moving forward to winning more Sun Belt Conferences in all sports and moving up to a better conference affiliation. 

Who knows, the replacement may have a better inside track to the desires of all our aspirations.

So chill out!!

I'm with you on that, eulesseagle...

The knee-jerk & impulsive reactions on this board never cease to amaze me.smile.gif But that's really OK because this is a shocker to most of us in the Mean Green Nation today.

DO YOU REMEMBER? Yet when the TCU AD job opened, a few of you had Rick V leaving NT and into that job before TCU officials even started their national search. What gives with all this?sad.gif

I predicted TCU would go more for the champagne and cavier type AD over the beer and pretzels type AD that I perceive Rick V to be. IMHO, NT needs the beer and pretzels approach with our most diversified alumnus group more than champagne and cavier. Most of you by now know what kind of AD the Horned Frog faithful hired. I forecasted that the TCU AD would even have the sauve, gray haired Fortune 500 CEO type look and I'll be darned if he did! laugh.gif (Hey! Every once in a while I hit on some of these predicitons)! LOL!

Calm down troops, the sky is truly not going to fall over this. Sure we will miss Dr. Pohl, but he is not the end-all in presidents who support NCAA D1-A athletics in word and deed. Anyone think Bobby Ray and our BOR's already kind of know what kind of president they want to replace Norval? rolleyes.gif I'd bet Bobby Ray already has his creative motors running on this new NT scenario already.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

So chill out!!

The knee-jerk & impulsive reactions on this board never cease to amaze me.smile.gif But that's really OK because this is a shocker to most of us in the Mean Green Nation today.

DO YOU REMEMBER? Yet when the TCU AD job opened, a few of you had Rick V leaving NT and into that job before TCU officials even started their national search. What gives with all this?sad.gif

I predicted TCU would go more for the champagne and cavier type AD over the beer and pretzels type AD that I perceive Rick V to be. IMHO, NT needs the beer and pretzels approach with our most diversified alumnus group more than champagne and cavier. Most of you by now know what kind of AD the Horned Frog faithful hired. I forecasted that the TCU AD would even have the sauve, gray haired Fortune 500 CEO type look and I'll be darned if he did! laugh.gif (Hey! Every once in a while I hit on some of these predicitons)! LOL!

Calm down troops, the sky is truly not going to fall over this. Sure we will miss Dr. Pohl, but he is not the end-all in presidents who support NCAA D1-A athletics in word and deed. Anyone think Bobby Ray and our BOR's already kind of know what kind of president they want to replace Norval? rolleyes.gif I'd bet Bobby Ray already has his creative motors running on this new NT scenario already.

PMG...it's that BOR that you are so sure of, that gave us Lee Jackson.

I'll take a chill pill. Why don't you take a reality suppository?

Dr. Pohl will be missed, he was a fan's kind of President. He was very easy to talk to, and would listen, and attended more athletic events than any other President I'd seen around NT. He seemed to have a good relationship with RV.

I wish it was Lee Jackson leaving instead. <_<

and attended more athletic events than any other President I'd seen around NT.

To show you what kind of fan Dr. Pohl is/was: Last year, on Homecoming Saturday (a day in which you know he had a lot of events to attend)..............he and his wife came to the Super Pit to watch the men's basketball team's scrimmage.

That is a good fan.

This is a day I have feared since last summer and what a lousy, sorry day it is. I hope Jackson is happy now. I wonder who's toes he will stomp on next?

Thank you Dr. Pohl for all you have done, especially back in November of 2000, we won't soon forget it. You and Barbikay have been such class acts and wonderful represenatives of our university and we wish you both the best.

Rick

Dr. Pohl still has 12 months at NT to do some more legacy-building and I am eager to see how all that translates. He ain't done, yet, folks.

You had better pray for an overlap. Is there any hope that Dr. Richard Rafes can get some consideration for the job? Probably not as they will more than likely go outside but I can dream, right?

Rick

You had better pray for an overlap.  Is there any hope that Dr. Richard Rafes can get some consideration for the job?  Probably not as they will more than likely go outside but I can dream, right?

Rick

I'm glad I'm not the only one who wants Rafes for Prez, but it is likely we will find an outside candidate. unsure.gif

I bet he would like to.

Kind of an elitist attitude I'd say, eh? And where did he get his collegiate education again? ph34r.gif

Lee Jackson is and has been the main obstacle that I think keeps us from building a new football stadium in a proper time and I felt that way a long time ago concerning him. In fact, I had an entire thread jerked off this forum on that subject about a year ago.

All you people who think we just had to have UNT-Dallas (even with our woefully small financial endowment) now think that some of our potential new stadium monies for the main campus in Denton might now be funneled to help build that campus in south Dallas County? I sure as hell do, although I don't think Bobby Ray and the NT Board of Regents will allow him to completely derail the new stadium, but he may just delay it a bit.

Now was that all negative enough for some of you who think I get a bit too positive to be your typical NT Ex? Hell, I keep this up and I'll be ready for Scottie's board. blink.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Horrible news and a sad day for NT. Dr Pohl is a great man and a great president for this school. He has done so much for this school. He gave RV the means to change our athletic program around 180 degrees. I had the opportnity to get a picture with him the last 2 NOB's and on my graduation day. I hope the school will find somone that has his same mindset and dedication. As to why this is happening, I'll give you two guesses. The first guess starts with a "l", the second starts with a "j".

I agree with the other poster, I hope the underhandedness of logogate is not mirrored in any way here. I also hope this does not affect RV's dedication to this university.

Long live NT and long live Dr Pohl.

Sorry to hear about your news, guys. Sounds like he was a great university leader and did a lot for your athletics. At LaTech, we're wishing our leaders would get the hell on out, so ya'll have been fortunate to have this guy. Good luck with whoever you get next and lets all hope he's as great a president as the one you're losing.