Former NT QB's we don't mention

SilverEagle

I was looking at stats on former North Texas QB's and was curious about a few of them. I was also curious about why these QB are rarely (or never) mentioned.

For instance, our first thousand yard passing QB (since we started keeping stats anyway) was Richard Harvey. He started only one year, 1951. His stats were 131att, 61comp, and 1194yrds. He also had 14td passes that year. I guess this question is for GrayEagle. Do you remember Richard Harvey, and how does he compare to our more modern(since 1960) QB's.

More recently, we have Joe Milton, who started one year (1970) right after Steve Ramsey left. He had pretty decent stats, 296att., 139comp, 1852yrds and 9td passes. I never saw Joe Milton play, but I'm wondering why (other than he started only one year) he's never mentioned.

Also regularly left off any QB discussions are Vidal Carlin, who in two years starting (65 & 66) had 653att, 276comp, and 25td passes and Rusty Hill (1982) 292 X 177 & 9td passes.

I watched Vidal Carlin play twice. I don't remember much about him other than the amount of passing that he did compared to former NT QB's that I watched (Billy Ryan and Corky Boland). I guess I was too busy watching his favorite target......John Love.

Rusty Hill was a pure drop-back passer. I think he wore #22 and he might have played other positions before being pressed into QB duty.

If anyone who saw these QBs' in action have any thoughts/assessments, I would like to hear from you.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

--Probably no one mentions Harvey because the NT was extremely small then (4000?) and also a lot the students of that era don't use computers and post and several are no longer with us that remember him.

--- Vidal Carlin was QB when was a student at NTSU. I was impressed by him and the games were very entertaining.... pass, pass, pass. He was drafted by the NFL but didn't do a lot. One game I saw had about 100 passes thrown between the two QBs (Tulsa I think). The SWC at that time (except Baylor) was run, run and run. Baylor had Don Trull and Elkins which threw a lot. The Missouri Valley ( Tulsa, NT, Louisville) had several good QBs and throw a bunch. That Tulsa QB was highly successsful in the NFL. We got very little media attention then because college football in Texas was all SWC.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 11 years later...
On 6/20/2005 at 7:39 AM, SilverEagle said:

"I watched Vidal Carlin play twice. I don't remember much about him other than the amount of passing that he did compared to former NT QB's that I watched (Billy Ryan and Corky Boland). I guess I was too busy watching his favorite target......John Love."

Corky Boland is my fiance's uncle. I would love to get stats on his career at UNT for the family. Corky left after his 4th year playing ball, to go to Vietnam. He has not ever seen articles about their stats. Can you help?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, Quoner said:

He'll never pay for his own beer the rest of his life as far as me and @CaribbeanGreen are concerned. 

I went digging through the archives here and couldn't find it...didn't you have a picture of "him" queuing up for the bathroom? the outrage I felt that he had to wait in line...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, MaryB said:

Corky Boland is my fiance's uncle. I would love to get stats on his career at UNT for the family. Corky left after his 4th year playing ball, to go to Vietnam. He has not ever seen articles about their stats. Can you help?

According to the 2005 NT football guide, Corkey Boland only started one year, 1964. His passing stats were 116 (att)/49 (comp)/3 (TD) 608 yards.

It appears that 29 of his passes went to Carl (Spider) Lockhart, who is one of North Texas' most all time versatile players. He was the leading receiver in 64, the team punter (unusual for a player of color) in 63/64 with a 39 yrd average,  the leading punt returner, and he led the defense in int's (5). 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_"Spider"_Lockhart

Back to Corkey Boland. Mary, is Mr. Boland still alive? And if so, where does he live? Does he attend North Texas football games?

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Carl Lockhart played running back, wide receiver,punter,punt returner,safety and corner back for North Texas..when he was drafted by the NY Giants he got his nickname Spider......My roommate and I had Coach McCain for " Coaching Football" in 1970. He knew we were big NY Giant fans...so he would tell us stories about Carl...the all time best was  "Carl thought he was so good   that he could cover Jesus Christ on a down and out"......the other story was . its 1964 or '65.....Tulsa comes to town with Jerry Rhome the No 1 qb in the country.. Broke 10 passing records...but Howard Twilly was the top WR in the country and had set a few receiving records....some sports writer from Tulsa was writing about the game and how no one could stop Twilly....think Coach said something like Twilly was talking some "smack" about no one stopping him.....then McCain with that Texas accent said  " cum the end of the game Carl caught 3 passes and Twilly had two". Not sure if we beat Tulsa or what....that's all Fred said....I still laugh today about that class....he told more stories....another was... he was the offensive coord at the time..." I believe in 3 things in football, pass,pass and pass"... now at the time North Texas was ranked No 1 in the nation in passing. Ramsey threw for 69 or 71 touchdowns,Shanklin and Moore broke records on the other end...Hardman was the No 1 draft choice of the 49'ers,Dunlop the year after...we had 3 1st round draft choices from 68-'71..Mean Joe was 68'....

I had Rod Rust as our teacher but he showed up the 1st day of classes and the last day....but love Fred

Also someone mentioned Joe Milton... I was his roommate at Kerr in 1970....really can't say anything....anyone who went to NT in the early 70's knows why....he was from Wolfe City....that I'll always remember..and he was a funny dude....I have over 100 Joe Milton stores but those are private....going to the army game Saturday....lets hope the Black Nights heads are swelled after beating up on a D-1AA school.. Go Mean Green

• Upvote 3

In Barry Switzer's book "Bootlegger's Boy"  he mentioned UNT Athletic Hall of Fame QB Kenny Washington (OU Joe's brother) who Hayden signed to a LOI from Port Arthur Lincoln HS (which was coached by his father, Joe, Sr).  Switzer's comment was & I loosely paraphrase:  "if we'd had a different kind of offense at OU than the Wishbone I would have recruited Ken Washington in a NY minute." 

Nevertheless, thought I'd bring KW into this discussion albeit he was a QB we would mention many times 

AN ODDITY:   Kenny Washington & Ken Smith were the #1 & #2 QB's both hurt the day the Mean Green went to Knoxville and beat the U of Tennessee with 3'rd string QB Glen Ray.  We cost U of TN HFC Bill Battle his job even with him having a 6 & 5 Volunteer football team (which would have been bowl elgible today).  

Fast Forward:  Battle turned his lemon into lemonade by creating a business that everyone reading this post who has NCAA sportswear or jersies has one of his products in their dirty clothes hamper or hanging in a closet.  The business Bill Battle established?   College Licensing.  So as the late commentator Paul Harvey used to say on his daily radio show:  "And now you know the rest of the story." 

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

My favorite that doesn't get enough credit is Bron Beal.

I think it was maybe Gene Pool he took over for, but I do remember that NT beat TCU 24-20 with Beal running the wishbone.  If I remember correctly, he played minor league baseball and enrolled at NT after damaging his shoulder.  He could throw just enough to keep people off the running game.

I think his fullback was Monte Moon (another name that doesn't get enough credit).

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, UNT86 said:

My favorite that doesn't get enough credit is Bron Beal.

I think it was maybe Gene Pool he took over for, but I do remember that NT beat TCU 24-20 with Beal running the wishbone.  If I remember correctly, he played minor league baseball and enrolled at NT after damaging his shoulder.  He could throw just enough to keep people off the running game.

I think his fullback was Monte Moon (another name that doesn't get enough credit).

Bron broke his ankle in '87 at OU and Scott Davis took over and lead us to a TD, which was the first time the sooner defense had allowed on opening day in several seasons.  

We would later lose the conference championship by a point, then two weeks later by several to the eventual National Champion Northeast Louisiana State (ULM) Indians.

Rick

• Downvote 1

Favorite QB we don't talk about much?  How about Scott Carter?  I believe that was his first name.  I have searched on line and can't find any information on him, but I believe he played during the Corky Nelson years.  @FirefightnRick, do you remember who I am talking about?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1