On The Newstands NOW! Dave Campbell's

Well, fill me in - what type of coverage do we get?

Stebo, where could I possibly begin with 5 pages of coverage? biggrin.gif BUT.........a few highlights

There are 5 full pages of NORTH TEXAS coverage with more Mean Green photos than ever with each D1-A school in Texas' play by play guys writing a (new to TEXAS FOOTBALL) featurette called "Off the Air" about their personal experiences with their roles in the booth at all the respective D1-A universities in the Lone Star State. Present "Voice of the Mean Green" George Dunham has a nice article talking about the progress of NT football since he has followed it the 22 years that he has(12 of which as play by play man of the Mean Green).

.................................................................................................

DAVE CAMPBELL'S TEXAS FOOTBALL MAGAZINE'S 2005 SUN BELT CONFERENCE PREDICTION:

(1) NORTH TEXAS

(2) Troy U

(3) Middle Tennessee

(4) U of L

(5) FAU

(6) UL-M

(7) ASU

(8) FIU

.................................................................................................

There is a nice featurette on QB Joey Byerly with a quote from Ramone Flanagan that said: "Joey kept making plays in spring practice.' "When he got under center, he was productive. His decision-making got better and better as spring practice went along."

Dickey adds "we were also very impressed with Meager before he got hurt."

Also, there is a feature with CBS sports Spencer Tillman, Turner Sports' Ron Thulin and ESPN's Andre Ware all forecasting that NORTH TEXAS will need win its 5'th consecutive SBC football championship while going to its 5'th bowl game in a row. At the bottom of each of their paragraphs of comments is the new Son of Worm eagle logo (so at least that new branding logo made its state of Texas debut in TEXAS FOOTBALL MAGAZINE which means a whole lot of folks will now see it.

Ex Mean Green football player Jeff Rodger's dad Randy Rodgers (an integral part of TEXAS FOOTBALL magazine) has a section in the magazine advertising his recruiting service. His web address is: www.randyrodgersrecruiting.com

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Plumm, THe Weatherford Wal-Mart put them out early.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2005 Dave Campbell's Texas Football - Available June 20

June 10, 2005 -- Summer in Texas means one thing - football season is quickly approaching. To get the state ready for all of the action is Dave Campbell's Texas Football, the Southwest's leading football source since 1960, which goes on sale June 20.

Printed and published by Host Communications Inc, this year marks the 46th edition of Dave Campbell's Texas Football. With more than 350 pages, this year's magazine includes sections on professional, collegiate and high school football in Texas. The redesigned 2005 high school section contains 152 pages of information sure to excite gridiron fans around the state.

The 2005 edition also features a look into Texas' "Friendly Rivalry" between standout quarterbacks Vince Young (Texas) and Reggie McNeal (Texas A&M); exclusive, behind-the-scenes coverage of the Houston Texans' draft day, a.k.a. the fastest 15 minutes in football; the Dave Campbell's Super Team (presented by Reebok) and team-by-team coverage of more than 1,300 high school football teams.

Dave Campbell's Texas Football is available throughout the state where magazines are sold. It also can be ordered by calling 1.866.313.2578 or online at www.texasfootball.com. The cover price is $9.95.

Also, for the first time, football fans can get a look into "The Making of the 2005 Cover" to be aired on FSN Southwest June 23, 24 and 25. Check local listings for time and station.

Plumm, THe Weatherford Wal-Mart put them out early.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GreenBat, I thought it seemed a bit early as I looked at the newstand and took a doulbe-take thinking, "what the hell is this and this early?!?!?" blink.gif

So how many of you are going to be making a trip to Weatherford, Texas, this weekend?!?!? laugh.gif

One might want to check out the Wal Mart off Cherrry Street in west FW, too, because sometimes it seems they have had DC'sTF early as well. One might also check Borders Books on FW's west freeway, too. (Probably would call before I took a trip to any of these places, though).

The one in Plano, TX also had it. I had to go to both of them as the one thats more like a grocery store didn't have it yet but the Supercenter did. They named JT 1st team all-Texas RB and best runner and Sophmore in Texas. Cobbs made 2nd team RB, Lylan (Dylan) Lineberry at OL, and Nick Bazaldua at K. I was a little upset they misspelled Dylans name there, but it was right the rest of the way though and it appears that he will definately be back in the fall. In terms of defense we only had The Mighty Johnny Quinn as a second team PR, but in terms of numbers and prestige I can't fault them for puting the 4 WRs they did ahead of Quinn, though I think he will prove them wrong.

The one in Plano, TX also had it.  I had to go to both of them as the one thats more like a grocery store didn't have it yet but the Supercenter did.  They named JT 1st team all-Texas RB and best runner and Sophmore in Texas.  Cobbs made 2nd team RB, Lylan (Dylan) Lineberry at OL, and Nick Bazaldua at K.  I was a little upset they misspelled Dylans name there, but it was right the rest of the way though and it appears that he will definately be back in the fall.  In terms of defense we only had The Mighty Johnny Quinn as a second team PR, but in terms of numbers and prestige I can't fault them for puting the 4 WRs they did ahead of Quinn, though I think he will prove them wrong.

Johnny Quinn is IMHO the best receiver in the state of Texas, but we just don't pass the ball enough for him to get his stats to prove it; but for this 2005 football season I'll bet he will be on ESPN SportCenter highlights more than any other receiver in the Lone Star State.

KUDO's to our other guys for making the All Texas team in Dave Campbell's TEXAS FOOTBALL. <>*<> Funny how Dylan Lineberry made that prestigous All Texas list in Campbell's magazine but he is not even listed on the NT 2 deep roster (and that I'm sure because he is not in school). Rumor has it that he is OK at the JUCO he is getting his needed additional credits, though.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

You know there were two plays last year that really changed my perception of Quinn from a good player to a superstar. One was when he caught that long touchdown pass against Baylor early in the game. I was right there in the corner of the endzone and was amazed at his closing speed to the ball. I had never thought of him as fast, always more of a possesion receiver. The other play was that freakshow touchdown catch at Arkstate in the mudbath on national TV. You remember - the one handed grab?

What's ironic about Quinn is that he was not highly touted coming out of high school even though he led the State of Texas in receptions. He sort of looked like a thin Opie Taylor and wasn't considered very fast. Former Coach Kelvin Martin may have been the only college recruiter in the State of Texas that believed in him. I've always appreciated Coach Martin for his signing of Quinn and always felt sorry for the way Martin's coaching career ended. The receiver position was a real weakness prior to Martin getting here and he helped us to get things back on track.

If you've seen some of the pictures on here of Quinn lately you wouldn't even remotely ever think of him as Opie Taylor.

Which brings me to another point. Sports Illustrated has an article this month about defensive tackle Albert Means. Means was originally recruited by Alabama and thought to be the top recruit in the nation. Later, it was revealed that his high school coach had received bribes from an Alabama booster to convince Means to sign with Bama. A lot of people got in trouble over it and Means ended up transferring to Memphis - we actually played against him last year. He signed as a free agent with the Texans and was recently released. Anyhow the article talks about all of the trouble that Means' recruiting caused and in reality he was a decent player but certainly not the star that the recruiting services labled him to be. After he transferred to Alabama he put on weight and didn't work to become a better player. In a sense he became a victim of his own hype.

Players like Johnny Quinn are what make me enjoy following North Texas football. You can throw Pat Cobbs, Brad Kassell and Scott Hall into that group as well. They are players who may not meet the size and speed measurements of Rivals and the BCS programs. They just have an intense drive to succeed regardless of the odds. This drives them to work out more, watch more film, lift more weights, make good grades, take on team leadership responsibilities. They become leaders on the field that you want to have representing your team when the chips are down. Thankfully for our program no one has figured out how to measure heart and desire.

Players like Johnny Quinn are what make me enjoy following North Texas football.  You can throw Pat Cobbs, Brad Kassell and Scott Hall into that group as well.  They are players who may not meet the size and speed measurements of Rivals and the BCS programs.  They just have an intense drive to succeed regardless of the odds.

Harry, you can add James Mitchell to that list as well. Whoever thought when he was signed that he would even make the team, much less start at FB.

I've said this for years. I'll take a "physically average overachiever" over a highly sought-after physical specimen any day. SUMG's story about our highly sought-after recruit in 78 is another example. Milton Collins was a very impressive specimen of a RB (6'2"X230lbs). As a true freshman, he was in uniform and made the traveling team during the 78 season. But the starter at RB that year was none other than a skinny (5'11"X 175lbs) converted DB/WR by the name of Bernard Jackson. wink.gif

BTW, the super Wal-Mart in Saginaw has Texas Football.

Charles, it seems like you go thru this every year with DC's Texas Football--so sorry about that.

BTW, have you found one yet?

Not yet. Next Tuesday is the next day the Mansfield Walmart get mag so may be by then. Barnes and Noble in Arlington didin't have them as of yesterday.

You know there were two plays last year that really changed my perception of Quinn from a good player to a superstar.  One was when he caught that long touchdown pass against Baylor early in the game.  I was right there in the corner of the endzone and was amazed at his closing speed to the ball.  I had never thought of him as fast, always more of a possesion receiver. The other play was that freakshow touchdown catch at Arkstate in the mudbath on national TV.  You remember - the one handed grab? 

What's ironic about Quinn is that he was not highly touted coming out of high school even though he led the State of Texas in receptions.  He sort of looked like a thin Opie Taylor and wasn't considered very fast.  Former Coach Kelvin Martin may have been the only college recruiter in the State of Texas that believed in him.  I've always appreciated Coach Martin for his signing of Quinn and always felt sorry for the way Martin's coaching career ended.  The receiver position was a real weakness prior to Martin getting here and he helped us to get things back on track.

If you've seen some of the pictures on here of Quinn lately you wouldn't even remotely ever think of him as Opie Taylor.

Which brings me to another point.  Sports Illustrated has an article this month about defensive tackle Albert Means.  Means was originally recruited by Alabama and thought to be the top recruit in the nation.  Later, it was revealed that his high school coach had received bribes from an Alabama booster to convince Means to sign with Bama.  A lot of people got in trouble over it and Means ended up transferring to Memphis - we actually played against him last year.  He signed as a free agent with the Texans and was recently released.  Anyhow the article talks about  all of the trouble that Means' recruiting caused and in reality he was a decent player but certainly not the star that the recruiting services labled him to be.  After he transferred to Alabama he put on weight and didn't work to become a better player.  In a sense he became a victim of his own hype.

Players like Johnny Quinn are what make me enjoy following North Texas football.  You can throw Pat Cobbs, Brad Kassell and Scott Hall into that group as well.  They are players who may not meet the size and speed measurements of Rivals and the BCS programs.  They just have an intense drive to succeed regardless of the odds. This drives them to work out more, watch more film, lift more weights, make good grades, take on team leadership responsibilities.  They become leaders on the field that you want to have representing your team when the chips are down.  Thankfully for our program no one has figured out how to measure heart and desire.

Best post I have read in a long time. wink.gif

I would think that most people who grew up in Texas would turn to the HS section first.

as soon as I get it Im going straight for the 13-2A section

I agreed to go to gainsville w/ mother[she was picking up a check](I had to mow back yard and clean room) provided she bought me the magazine, and we went to the wal-mart in gainsville and it was not there, really mad, I came home, and turned on golden girls to get out my anger.

Hopefully Ill get it tommorow.

Edited by Greeneagle87

as soon as I get it Im going straight for the 13-2A section

I agreed to go to gainsville w/ mother[she was picking up a check](I had to mow back yard and clean room) provided she bought me the magazine, and we went to the wal-mart in gainsville and it was not there, really mad, I came home, and turned on golden girls to get out my anger.

Hopefully Ill get it tommorow.

It's been on sale in Denton for several days now. . . .