I think we will win the belt again

emmitt01

I see no reason why we shouldn't get a ring for the thumb this year. Here's ten reasons we can.

1)J-Mo and PC will be unbelievable with any kind of a hole to run through especially if they can spell eachother throughout the game.

2)Byerly, for all the knocks on him, will improve and will start. ph34r.gif

3)Even if Byerly doesn't keep the job in the fall Meager will have all fall to get better...and he is healthy, so says RV, so put those rumors to rest.

4)I really think our d-line will surprise some people. Namely Clint Marks, Jerry Babb, etc. laugh.gif

5)If our defensive backs can stay together we'll have a decent chance to let our linebackers loose. And I think coach Malone will have them better than ever.

6)Our linebackers are experienced this year and relatively deep.

7)J Quinn is bigger and faster according to all reports. I feel for the defensive coordinator who decides to single cover him to stop the run.

8)I think one or more receivers will emerge to stretch the field or make defensive backfields play both sides of the field and not just concentrate of Johnny. I think Stickler has the build to do just this and Nwigwe if he can stay concentrated will hurt some folks. Ask MTSU if they remember him.

9)Winning tradition. You can't tell me that in the back of all of these players' minds they don't know that there is a conference winning streak to uphold.

10)Our biggest test is Middle Tennessee? Call me crazy but the MUTS have never scared me. Same story year in and year out. "Middle Tennessee had the #1 recruiting class. Middle Tennessee is soooo talented. MTSU is sexy....Middle Tennessee loses to North Texas and someone else...."

What rumors about Meager? huh.gif

Geeezz, I thought that the ONLY ONE being treated unfairly (by virtue of unfounded rumors and unfair critisizm of his QB skills) was JB? rolleyes.gif

BTW, I'm getting the impression that OL "feels" that they are not getting enough, shall we say, attention/love from the fans. Of course, O-linemen are traditionally the most overlooked position when it comes to fan discussion on a football board. sad.gif

Edited by SilverEagle

Emmitt , I agree MTSU has been overrated the last 4 yrs.We seem to have their number. I do think Zack will be the third reciever teams have to worry about behind Quinn and Stickler. Still have concerns about the secondary, all need to prove themselves.

I agree that we will pull it off again this year. Although depth may be a problem, if Lineberry and May both show up we should have an impressive starting OL. Foster brings the average down a bit, but I don't recall us ever having a OL that legitimately averaged close to 300 lbs.

I think the DL will turn out to be pretty solid, but I'm kind of concerned about the inexperienced safeties. If the right guys show up to play OL/TE, my major concerns are QB, safety, and how well JB performs at corner. I hope he's capable of handling MUCH bigger receivers.

2)Byerly, for all the knocks on him, will improve and will start.  ph34r.gif

3)Even if Byerly doesn't keep the job in the fall Meager will have all fall to get better

Don't these two conflict. I mean if Byerly "will" start they why would Meager need all fall to get better if Byerly doesn't keep his job, unless Byerly can't start because he won't be able to start. ph34r.gif

Don't these two conflict. I mean if Byerly "will" start they why would Meager need all fall to get better if Byerly doesn't keep his job, unless Byerly can't start because he won't be able to start. ph34r.gif

No they don't conflict. Number two means that for all the question about accuracy I still think JB keeps the job. Number three is the "just in case Meager beats him out" point.

But let me just say this...Byerly will be able to start and I expect he will. ph34r.gifph34r.gifph34r.gifph34r.gif

I agree that we will pull it off again this year. Although depth may be a problem, if Lineberry and May both show up we should have an impressive starting OL. Foster brings the average down a bit, but I don't recall us ever having a OL that legitimately averaged close to 300 lbs.

I think the DL will turn out to be pretty solid, but I'm kind of concerned about the inexperienced safeties. If the right guys show up to play OL/TE, my major concerns are  QB, safety, and how well JB performs at corner. I hope he's capable of handling MUCH bigger receivers.

I'm concerned about everything but running back and wide receiver. Even if I were concerned about WR it wouldn't matter because I'll be surprised if we throw to one more than 5-6 times per game.

Lineberry and May are solid OLinemen if both return. Otherwise, Foster is undersized, Rose is inexperienced and Jeremy Brown has been injured. There is no depth because we only play a second stringer if someone gets hurt.

Tight end has no one experienced in the North Texas system to speak of. They tried to make an offensive lineman out of Harmon, Davidson is a transfer who played little last year and Chaney has yet to play a down for North Texas.

Regardless of potential, Byerly is the only one that has taken a college snap and that was for about 12 plays last year. All other quarterbacks are either redshirt or true freshmen.

And, the offense is our most talented and experienced side of the ball.

Of the defensive line, Chapman and Miller are the only ones that saw a significan amout of playing time last fall. Isaac Thomas and Big Cat Raymond do have a lot of potential but they've only done well in practice. Can they replace Cardwell and Pruitt? That's a pretty tall order. In time, yes. Short term, I doubt it. Ransom was a decent JC player but that's not Division 1A. Hutchinson was a good JC player also but he hasn't cracked the starting lineup yet.

Linebacker is our strength in that we have four or five that do have a year's experience at either starting or playing significantly. Early (if recovered from surgery), Monroe, and Mendoza should be the heart and soul of the defense IF we get good line play.

T.J. Covington is a solid corner with a year's experience and Branch looked good in the spring. But Ja'Mel has no experience on defense (he was a RB in high school), although plenty on the offensive side. So, while he had great recognition of our plays in the spring, will he recognize others in the fall? It could take time. There is virtually no experience at the safety position. I don't see anyone this year being the equivalent of Knowlton, Buckles or Harrison and that includes Weathers.

Add to all of that the fact that we do not play well together in our early games and it looks to me the makings of a dethroning. Unless we do something that we've not done in the last seven years or more, we very well may have one or more conference losses before we get to the second half of the season.

Unless we do something that we've not done in the last seven years or more, we very well may have one or more conference losses before we get to the second half of the season.

For certain, Jack, a more sobering overview of our 2005 football season.

The very early scheduling by the SBC front office of the MT game was their very un-subtle way of saying "we're going to do all we can do to make sure NORTH TEXAS is replaced as this year's NO'S Bowl host with this early game for this year's very young Mean Green team." (That was their exact words, too)!: }:>)

The SBC office knows of our past early season's "non-jell" situations most football seasons, but I still believe we will have the best team in the SBC at the end of the season.

Yet this very out of sync football schedule with the early season (2'nd game of year for 'chrisakes) SBC game, the fact that we gave ASU their Army game (while we sacrificed what will be a much needed open date for our football team in doing so), the Tuesday night game while too many are still on Dallas freeways trying to get home AND then..........a Saturday after Thanksgiving home game at Fouts Field with empty dorms on campus as students are at home eating leftovers is IMHO the most out of sync football schedule in the history of NT football.

And yes, I am also a conspiracy theorists in the assassination of our infamous white squirrel near NT's Bruce Hall dormitory. blink.gif He was last seen carrying a sign walking the sidewalk in front of Bruce Hall that said: "WHO PUT THIS OUT OF SYNC 2005 MEAN GREEN FOOTBALL SCHEDULE TOGETHER ALREADY?!?" rolleyes.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Emmitt you're BAD rolleyes.gif  Now BlueRaiderPride will be back with a vengence using that stupid blue type. rolleyes.gif

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

That was SOOOOO funny, but true. I have seen him on several different team boards using that blue type...

I agree with Emmitt...we will run the table again. There is no question in my mind that we are recruiting and developing better athleticism across the board than the rest of the Belt...thanks to DD and his staff. I think we have more team speed across the board than anyone else in the conference.

MT no longer scares me...I really don't believe they have the athletes that Southern Miss had in order to pull off that defensive scheme...they can try to copy it--all the run blitses and stuff, but their athletes won't be able to pull it off...it will backfire on them, IMHO. We will run for 300 yards against every conference opponent this year. Throw in a 100 yards passing to wide open receivers in single coverage and we go back to NO baby. wink.gif

10)Our biggest test is Middle Tennessee?  Call me crazy but the MUTS have never scared me.  Same story year in and year out.  "Middle Tennessee had the #1 recruiting class.  Middle Tennessee is soooo talented.  MTSU is sexy....Middle Tennessee loses to North Texas and someone else...."

I'd say our biggest test is MTSU only because its on the road and right after the beating (physically and possibly score wise) we will get at LSU. The players will be physically and emotionally drained from that game and have less than a week at home to recover before going out to Murfs. The real biggest test I see comes from the only team with a shot (in the belt) of beating us at home and that is ULL. They will be really dangerous this year on offense and have a decent defense. This game will be pass over run or run over pass. Those are the 2 Belt teams I'm worried about. With Troy's loss of their QB I'm not even putting them on the radar anymore.

Don't put too much emphasis on the losing of our QB. He was the starter last year (for the last 6 games). This was an offense that was in the bottom 3 in passing yards per game and total yards per game. Besides, he had already lost his starting job this year to the new QB.

Troy's strategy this year on offense will probably be just to not go 3 and out every time, grind a little clock, don't go backwards with penalties and sacks, and don't turn the ball over. The defense and special teams will be relied on heavily to put the anemic "O" in good field posistion and possibly even score a few times themselves. Only the Miami Hurricanes had more non-offesive TDs (stat officially falls in an odd category called "returns for touchdowns") than Troy did last year. If everything goes well with this strategy, you win big games like Mizzou and Marshall and play close at LSU. If it doesn't go well... you lose to Arky State and New Mexico State.

Don't put too much emphasis on the losing of our QB.  He was the starter last year (for the last 6 games).  This was an offense that was in the bottom 3 in passing yards per game and total yards per game.  Besides, he had already lost his starting job this year to the new QB.

Troy's strategy this year on offense will probably be just to not go 3 and out every time, grind a little clock, don't go backwards with penalties and sacks, and don't turn the ball over.  The defense and special teams will be relied on heavily to put the anemic "O" in good field posistion and possibly even score a few times themselves.  Only the Miami Hurricanes had more non-offesive TDs (stat officially falls in an odd category called "returns for touchdowns") than Troy did last year.  If everything goes well with this strategy, you win big games like Mizzou and Marshall and play close at LSU.  If it doesn't go well...  you lose to Arky State and New Mexico State.

I don't mean to be rude, but HITF (won't spell that one out wink.gif ) can you play close to Florida and SC, beat a Mizzou and Marshall, but then lose to an Arkansas State or NMSU?

I do not mean to be rude to one of our guest posters, but that just kind of floors me. I mean, it was the same team, right? Do you guys HAVE a JV club??????

It's not rude to ask why Troy played so well against LSU and South Carolina. Beat Marshall and Mizzou. And lost to Ark State and NMSU. Every single Trojan fan was asking that question too last year. Heck, a reporter asked the coach that last year why we played so well in OOC games and couldn't do as well in conference games. He basically just said that he couldn't figure it out either and if anyone did find out to please let him know.

Troy's offensive playcalling is terrible. Sometimes I think the other teams defensive co-ordinator is calling our plays. The Trojan's special teams and defense moved up to Division 1A a few years ago, but the offense has not. Basically, if you can't count on your offense to score consistantly, you're going to lose games you shouldn't. Even worse, Troy's offense actually hurts their defense and special teams more by putting them in bad posistions, going backwards, and not staying on the field long enough for the defense to rest. Personally, I don't think the problem is with the talent. If not for Cobbs and Thomas, the best running back in the Belt the last two years would have been Troy's Betterson. What was especially amazing about his accomplishments is that the whole world knew he was going to get the ball. There was no passing game at all to even keep teams the least bit honest. From watching North Texas games and listening to them on the internet, it seems you guys always make the big pass play or mix it up just enough so the other team can't completely sell out on "D". That combined with the Mean Green's knack of forcing turnovers and not turning the ball over is why you guys have the long conference win streak.

Just out of curiosity, can one of you guys look up your turnover margin against Sunbelt teams since you've been in the conference? I'm betting North Texas is in the positive by at least a couple of dozen over the last few years. And just for kicks, look at your turnover margin in your OOC games too.

Anyways, here's to the Mean Green, here's to the Troy Trojans, and he's to the Sunbelt. I was going to try to make the trip to Denton, but since the game's on Tuesday, no can do. See you guys and gals in Troy next year (I guess, but knowing the way the Sunbelt schedule is set up, Troy vs North Texas might be played in Chicago or something).

It's not rude to ask why Troy played so well against LSU and South Carolina.  Beat Marshall and Mizzou. And lost to Ark State and NMSU.  Every single Trojan fan was asking that question too last year.  Heck, a reporter asked the coach that last year why we played so well in OOC games and couldn't do as well in conference games.  He basically just said that he couldn't figure it out either and if anyone did find out to please let him know. 

The Sunbelt is a powerful conference with strong teams..........