UNT Bashing on Frog Board

Black Scholes

With regards to Matress Mac, one thing that would benefit UNT, would be for Mac to open a big furniture warehouse like he has in Houston. Did you know he was one of the big/main sponsors at the Texas a $ m spring football game? Probably 30,000+ fans were watching those ads he had on the scoreboard. It would stand to reason that he would do the same in the DFW area if he had a location there. At least I hope he would do the same for UNT.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I respectfully disagree. We want to get our program to the point that schools like TCU look to us for key personnel. We should consider it an honor if TCU chooses Rick...they wouldn't have hired Helwig that's for sure. I agree that Dr. Pohl would be a huge loss, but remember that Dr. Pohl's boss is The Chairman of the Board of Regents Bobby Ray. Losing Ray - a huge supporter of athletics - is what scares me. I believe his term is up in 2007.

Things are getting better, and we're in a much better`position then we were 5 years ago. Let's not be chicken littles and predict disaster if change does come.

No one answers this ... what is the problem with being UNT.??... I really don't see why NT is any better... USC doesn't seem to mind..... After all we are a university not a "region" of some "college" or some "community college". ..... I do dislike NTSU since that is an old name and I do understand people not liking 4 letter "names".

What is your problem with UNT.???? Half of the people use UNT and NT interchangably and in the same article sometimes, several posts in this thread have used both.

What is wrong with using UNT???? I really don't get it.

I respectfully disagree.  We want to get our program to the point that schools like TCU look to us for key personnel.  We should consider it an honor if TCU chooses Rick...they wouldn't have hired Helwig that's for sure.    I agree that Dr. Pohl would be a huge loss, but remember that Dr. Pohl's boss is The Chairman of the Board of Regents Bobby Ray.  Losing Ray - a huge supporter of athletics -  is what scares me.  I believe his term is up in 2007.

Things are getting better, and we're in a much better`position then we were 5 years ago.  Let's not be chicken littles and predict disaster if change does come.

No IMO, we want to get NT's program to the point were we look to schools like TCU for key personnel. An honor to lose a key person to another non-BCS metroplex school? It might be an good indicator that our program is improving to have personnel hired for multiples of current salary but I wouldn't call it an honor. I agree that the makeup of the BOR is much more important than any individual coach or administrator. Frankly if RV wants out, I hope he finds a place somewhere and NT can find someone to get on with the program.

Edited by GrandGreen

No one answers this ... what is the problem with being UNT.??... I really don't see why NT is any better... USC doesn't seem to mind..... After all we are a university not a "region" of some "college" or some "community college". ..... I do dislike NTSU since that is an old name and I do understand people not liking 4 letter "names". 

What is your problem with UNT.????  Half of the people use UNT and NT interchangably and in the same article sometimes, several posts in this thread have used both.

What is wrong with using UNT????  I really don't get it.

Screaming Eagle, I really don't care to get much into this because I have probably said the same thing 10 times on this board. If you like it........great. The athletic department doesn't and I happen to agree with them.

It is my belief that the letters "UNT" have become tarnished in the minds of locals. Years of an administration that put athletics on the back burner associate "UNT" with loserdom. When I hear "UNT" from my Texas Tech friends, they say it with a smirk on their face, almost laughing at the school. Using "North Texas" or "NT" gives us a chance to market ourselves better. If you want a one word answer for why I would want "NT" over "UNT" it would be - marketing. It is my belief that we can market ourselves better with an "NT" logo. Some will give you the cunt reasoning. Valid or not it is food for thought.

USC does have an interlocked "SC" logo.

I don't care to argue this. If you want a logo that states "UNT", that is great.

[sigh]

People, we have short memories don't we? I would like everyone to revsisit this thread.

I think it will sum everythng up. I would bet that, like DD, RV is considered an "up and comer" in the ranks of D-1; and thus his name will be thrown out as a candidate for most any position that comes up (especially is he has held a position of any sort in that program previously).

No one answers this ... what is the problem with being UNT

As mentioned in the notes taken during the October 21st meeting, RV states that if we were to label our (university)athletics with a three letter moniker we will instantly be placed in third place behind TCU and SMU in the minds of the general public. NT helps differentiate us from the others. RV "strongly" supports the use of "NT" over "UNT". Mentions that he suported the NT Exes logo but possibly enhanced a bit.

Dr. Pohl does not support it as well.

One of the student leaders that was part of the meeting stated that most men do not support it. One stated that some students will think of UT when reading UNT and that he supports NT as well.

According to most of the email responses our alumni, especially our athletic alumni do not support UNT over NT. Nearly all support the use of the NT Exes logo. Many stated how often they had attended games and heard UNT used by rival opponents with a "C" in front of it. Most of our ex athletes can give you examples of this, along with Punt, GRunt and whatever else can be made of it. The athletic department has heard of these complaints for years.

There is ONE person in the meeting above that is clearly noted as in support for UNT and that is Lee Jackson. It lists him as follows: "Thinks he knows a lot about design- has an interest. Was a Dallas Co. Judge. He needs to be a part of things"..."Advocate for "UNT".."Admires TCU usage(curved, arched).

Stay tuned.

Rick

user posted image

The North Texan, The NT Daily, The NT Exes. For UNIVERSITY purposes - you want The University of North Texas on the items - like diplomas and wordmarks. For SPIRIT - we should use the slang - North Texas. The same way that Southern Cal (Your example, not mine) uses SOUTHERN CAL for their spirit marketing and Southern Miss uses it for theirs. There is University branding - which should use UNT and University of North Texas and then there is SPIRIT branding which should use the term that applies to all generations that have attended North Texas - whether it be North Texas Normal College, North Texas State College, North Texas State University, or the University of North Texas - all of our past and present names have one thing in common - the words NORTH TEXAS - so using simply NORTH TEXAS for SPIRIT MARKERS will not alienate any generation of Mean Greeners - Simple enough for you?

Edited by stebo

If I can digress to the original thread...

I don't think what the TCu folks were says was all that insulting. They seem to feel TCU has moved beyond where North Texas currently stands in the world of college athletics and don't think RV could help them move further.

While I disagree, I think he could help them, I'm not going to encourage them as I'd rather keep RV with us.

Can we please keep the thread on topic...start another thread on the letter deal.

Like it or no, a TCU AD job would be a huuuuge step up for RV. Moving into the MWC, they have yet another opportunity to build their program to even greater levels. They are going to have some serious competition coming into FT Worth on a regular basis--plus they have the ability to attract major nonconf programs to visit Ft. Worth--such as OU a couple years back. They have the devotion of the leaders of the city of Ft Worth. Why would RV not want to take that job?

There is no loyalty in college athletics and never has been...at least until a person reaches the VERY top--and there is no where else to go...like at OU or UT, etc.

If the job is offered to him, RV is gone.

They say Southern Cal  or USC.   They never say just SC.  ...Is that simple enough for you??  (sounds insulting doesn't it.)

Sorry 66, but that is just not true:

http://store.fansonly.com/marketplace/stor...e/6929068-c.jpg

http://store.fansonly.com/marketplace/stor...e/6252160-c.jpg

http://store.fansonly.com/marketplace/stor...ojanscrew-c.jpg

http://store.fansonly.com/marketplace/stor...e/4625656-c.jpg

http://store.fansonly.com/marketplace/stor...e/4625816-c.jpg

Interlocking letters. Hmmmmmmm, looks pretty good to me.

Edited by Eagle-96

Did ya'll hear that it is going to rain this afternoon and that gas prices are going to continue to go up? Let's see how many ways we can make this thread go... dry.gif

If gas prices continue to go up, then it will be much more expensive to travel to Los Angeles to watch Southern Cal(SC) play this next season. biggrin.gif

It will not, however, be very expensive for RV to drive to Fort Worth to laugh at any TCU offer.

OK I lose... hope Rick doen't go to TC. Guess I guess I need to change my comment at bottom to SM, instead of SMU.

Now don't whine. You asked why people thought this, and they told you. Don't get upset because you got an answer.

so using simply NORTH TEXAS for SPIRIT MARKERS will not alienate any generation of Mean Greeners - Simple enough for you?

Most answers were respectful not not that one... Implies I am too "simple minded" to understand... do you not agree???

---The answer alienated me. Guess my generation is too old to get it. I also live in West Texas and don't read or hear much UNT talk except on this board and I don't always read it. I have never heard anyone smerk when they heard the initials UNT..... Guess I have more polite friends. To me the initials is no big deal but infering people are too simple minded to understand is. To me SC means South Carolina Gamecocks-- not USC.

--Zeke your first first answer was agood one but that last comment was completely unnessary....I said I gave up and joked about just using SM for SMU and then you claim I am a whinning... What a crazy remark..

---I traveled over 300 miles (each way) to see four games last year. I am a lot more loyal than most who live 5-50 miles away. I don't deserved to be trashed or insulted. I am an ex with two UNT degrees but will just just shut up and leave the board if that is the way we treat people...I am sure you can recruit dozens of local loyals to go instead of me. There seems to be seats available.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Most answers were respectful not not that one... Implies I am too "simple minded" to understand... do you not agree???

---The answer alienated me. Guess my generation is too old to get it. I also live in West Texas and don't read or hear much UNT talk except on this board and I don't always read it. I have never heard anyone smerk when they heard the initials UNT..... Guess I have more polite friends. To me the initials is no big deal but infering people are too simple minded to understand is. To me SC means South Carolina Gamecocks-- not USC.

--Zeke your first first answer was agood one but that last comment was completely unnessary....I said I gave up and joked about just using SM for SMU and then you claim I am a whinning... What a crazy remark..

---I traveled over 300 miles (each way) to see four games last year. I am a lot more loyal than most who live 5-50 miles away. I don't deserved to be trashed or insulted. I am an ex with two UNT degrees but will just just shut up and leave the board if that is the way we treat people...I am sure you can recruit dozens of local loyals to go instead of me. There seems to be seats available.

SCREAMING EAGLE -66, hang in there, we don't need to lose fans like you.

I think we are choking on a gnat with all this branding business personally. 'Twould prefer stadium talk over "2 or 3" letter logo talk myself. cool.gif

Thank you for that! You are right, you probably are a lot more loyal than many who live 5-50 miles away.

I hate when this board turns against its own. We are all we have guys! Based on the FOI junk, we don't even have much support from within. So can't we all just get along and stop going after eachother?!!?

I'm with 66, I'm ready to leave this board when that's how people here start going after eachother.

Please accept my apology.