Say Hello To BaylorFans.com, Mean Green Nation!

As many of you have expressed on this and Scottie's board, the Baylor University Lady Bears have done something very, very special. Their campus has gone thru hell and high-water with last year's nationally publicized tragic story that even gained the heart-felt sympathy of the great Bill Cosby (who came to their campus be with them in their time of loss and campus trauma).

Whether you like Baylor or not its really not about any of that at all IMO, they are a Texas-based university that deserves the congrats from (North) Texans everywhere (and non Texans for that matter).

www.BaylorFans.com

Check out Basketball section of their message board

GMG!

shameless bump....

I just think the Lady Bears are helping their school and Big 12 athletic program rise like the Phoenix off the desert sands and should be commended for it. As a Texan, I'm damn proud of em' ! I hope some of you will register on www.baylorfans.com and let their Lady Bears know how proud you are of them not only as a North Texan but as a TEXAN! smile.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Plumm- I hope the Baylor Women go all the way. I always (try) to cheer for teams that I think we might see the next season or so. I hope they win the National Championship and that we play the defending Nat. Champs and beat them.

I also always root for the American League during the Series and if I can muster the interest, the NFC and/or NFC East during the playoffs.

GO MEAN GREEN-Beat them Bears whenever .

Congrads to the Bears! Teriffic job that should also be possible for NT. The Baylor program is exciting

and it is no wonder that they draw 7000 plus fans. We should be doing the same thing.

As a mean green fan for over 40 years I want our girls to compete at the highest level also. Although

I respect Tina as a person, 16 years and no post season NCAA is ridiculous! Next year is do or die for

her. It is my understanding that she must win and win big next year or she is gone. One time

last year she had 4 players on the court and in another game she had 6 players. A really fine person

but she doesn't know how to coach.

Women's BB can be a "flagship" sport for us and a coach like Baylor or TT has can build a great progam

with our facilities and being in the metroplex makes it even more possible. Come on Rik get serious

about this program like we are about football, men's and women's golf, tennis, men's BB, and soccer.

This sport can't survive on 300 or 400 fans at a game.

Hope I have to eat my words next year and she shows me I'm all wet!

Congrads to the Bears!  Teriffic job that should also be possible for NT.  The Baylor program is exciting

and it is no wonder that they draw 7000 plus fans.  We should be doing the same thing.

As a mean green fan for over 40 years I want our girls to compete at the highest level also.  Although

I respect Tina as a person, 16 years and no post season NCAA is ridiculous!  Next year is do or die for

her.  It  is my understanding that she must win and win big next year or she is gone.  One time

last year she had 4 players on the court and in another game she had 6 players.  A really fine person

but she doesn't know how to coach.

Women's BB can be a "flagship" sport for us and a  coach like Baylor or TT has can build a great progam

with our facilities and being in the metroplex makes it even more possible.  Come on Rik get serious

about this program like we are about football, men's and women's golf, tennis, men's BB, and soccer.

This sport can't survive on 300 or 400 fans at a game.

Hope I have to eat my words next year and she shows me I'm  all wet!

Yeah, I would say that next year is do or die for the coaching career of Tina Slinker at North Texas. If she can't win with ALL of her starters coming back, it just proves that the AD was a year late in firing her. I too hope that I can eat my word next year, seeing as how she should have been fired this past season, but the way things have gone the last few years, I am sceptical at best.

No doubt the Baylor women are a great team and certainly deserved the national championship. However I fail to see how having a disgraceful men's basketball program and a complete lack of institutional control makes Baylor deserving of anything. I had rather see a school that has historically played by the rules have had the success.

No doubt the Baylor women are a great team and certainly deserved the national championship.  However I fail to see how having a disgraceful men's basketball program and a complete lack of institutional control makes Baylor deserving of anything.  I had rather see a school that has historically played by the rules have had the success.

Ditto.

I've been wanting Baylor to win the women's title ever since Kim was offered the job and went back to La.Tech and said she'd take the lesser amount Baylor was offering if Tech would match the years. Then offered to take the Tech job for the lower money and four years. Their administration said "Sorry first year coaches get one year" and she took the Baylor job.

Anyone that blind deserves a good jab and Baylor winning a national title under her leadership is about as good as it gets.

No doubt the Baylor women are a great team and certainly deserved the national championship.  However I fail to see how having a disgraceful men's basketball program and a complete lack of institutional control makes Baylor deserving of anything.  I had rather see a school that has historically played by the rules have had the success.

Baylor has probably had too many losing seasons thru the decades because they chose not do what too many other ex SWC schools did in the area of recruiting with some of that group who did cheat (and pay recruits) who were never placed on probation for doing so.

Baylor U officials had nothing to do with pulling the trigger of a handgun that tragically killed a young man.

Baylor officials didn't encourage coach Dave Bliss to do all his sleuthing under the cloak of secrecy. Anyone ever pull a dastardly deed on you behind your back and a deed that you could not prevent because it was done just that way--behind your back? Well, that is what Dave Bliss pulled on the Baylor administration.

Through the "good ol boy college coaches network" Baylor (before they hired Bliss) received a good report on the coach and hired him based on those recommendations; but for certain, Bliss went astray and lost his way, but he did it secretly, too. Guess such a thing could just about happen at any school when someone does things and keeps them secret from his employer. Believe it or not, it could even happen at NORTH TEXAS and I'd bet Chancellor Jackson or President Pohl would not be privvy of such things when they would be happening. I mean are you going to tell the county sheriff that you are fixin' to rob the local bank?

NT once hired a football coach because he had such powerhouse references and recommendations from Paul "Bear" Bryant and Darrell K. Royal; both of whom had very good reputations as coaches who ran honest programs . That coach they recommended to NT was Bob Tyler who lasted 1 year and for many of us who were around in 1981, perhaps, the worst year we may have ever had in the NCAA's modern era.

How would any NT administrator have handled what happened at Baylor? NORTH TEXAS is closing in on 32,0000 enrollment and there are no "super" officials at our alma mater who could possibly monitor each of those 32,000 students as well as monitor almost 6,000 NT employees.

Baylor has historically played by the rules as they had never been placed on NCAA probation. NT just scheduled 2 football games with a school that has been on NCAA probation more times than any other school in the history of the NCAA and also a school that (historically) black-balls our alma mater at every turn or any time they get a chance to do so.

Sorry fellas, I agree with yall most of the time on this opinion board, but not on this Baylor discussion.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Plum, you definitely have a little different view of the Baylor program than I do. I don't believe the Baylor program sans the Bliss fiasco is as clean as you believe. However I doubt I could win that agrument anymore than you can convince me of the opposite. But back to the men's basketball program problems that you indicated could happen just about anywhere. Forget about the murder and Bliss's attempted cover-up, you are still left with illegal recruiting, paying players expenses and circumventing the School drug testing. The resulting scandal ultimately caused not only the dismissal of the men basketball staff but also the AD and the President. That adds up to me as a little more than an oversight that any institution can have.

Your reference to Bob Tyler is a litttle confusing to me. Bliss had issues at both New Mexico and SMU that were well known at the time of the Baylor hiring. I assume the Tyler reference is to address that issue. Bob Tyler was at NT one year and was fired. Maybe you have knowledge of Tyler breaking the rules, I don't. Tyler did greatly overspend his budget and recruited a bunch of players that had questionable backgrouds and very short careers.

Again the Baylor Women played great and my congratulations go out to them.

Plum, you definitely have a little different view of the Baylor program than I do.   I don't believe the Baylor program sans the Bliss fiasco is as clean as you believe.  However I doubt I could win that agrument anymore than you can convince me of the opposite. But back to the men's basketball program problems that you indicated could happen just about anywhere.  Forget about the murder and Bliss's attempted cover-up,  you are still left with illegal recruiting, paying players expenses and circumventing the School drug testing.   The resulting scandal  ultimately caused not only the dismissal of the men basketball staff but also the AD and the President.  That adds up to me as a little more than an oversight that any institution can have.

Your reference to Bob Tyler is a litttle confusing to me.   Bliss had issues at both New Mexico and SMU that were well known at the time of the Baylor hiring.   I assume the Tyler reference is to address that issue.  Bob Tyler was at NT one year and was fired.  Maybe you have knowledge of Tyler breaking the rules, I don't.  Tyler did greatly overspend his budget and recruited a bunch of players that had questionable backgrouds and very short careers.

Again the Baylor Women played great and my congratulations go out to them.

Good points and points well taken, GrandGreen....

I understand Dave Bliss' past but in my recollection he had no official record of wrong-doing as far as the NCAA was concerned.

Our own NT Coach Johnny Jones came to Denton with some recruiting fallout from his days with Dale Brown at LSU, but the NCAA exonnerated Coach Jones of any alleged wrong-doing. But you know how it is in America, GG, you are guilty until proven innocent.sad.gif

Now we all hope NT Coach JJ can get some impact players that will soon turn our men's basketball program around. NT is long overdue for a good (and profitable) basketball program in such a showcase as the amazingly ageless Super Pit remains to be and Coach JJ seems a super nice guy with his million dollar smile and you know we all like nice people to finish first (in spite of where Leo Durocher said nice guys usually finish).

Have a nice Mean Green day! smile.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen