NT basketball

I intentionally watched Johnny Jones leave thru the tunnel after the game. RV was at the mouth of the tunnel and Johnny intentionally exited as far away from him as possible. The AD did not even say a word to Jones, nor did Jones say anything to the AD. There might be some trouble brewing for men's bb. I really like Johnny as a person, but this was just a terrible ending to a very average season. The team in December was much better than what we watched in February and March.

JJ is RV's man. RV had a lot of confidence in JJ, rewarded him against all logic with a contract extension and secured the Belt tournament for what must have been envisioned as a venue for a strong NT team. Never give up hope, but this team does not look like a team that is building. JJ recruiting thus far as been below average for a Belt team. Anyone notice that the only all conference mention for a NT player was for a Trilli recruit. JJ has yet to recruit a high school player that could remotely be called a difference maker. His juco recruiting has been a little better finding sucess with lightly recruited Jerome Green and Jeffrey Simmons, and a good HInes. But it is difficult to build a program with mid to lower level juco recruits.

Next year unless Hopkins gets an extra year has to be seen as another rebuilding year. NT will have a good senior point guard and Simmons who could be very good if he can control his foul tendencies. The rest of the squad and the incomming freshmen won't excite many. The transfer Davis maybe some help but obviously wasn't good enough for Arkansas.

i cant get past the fact that johnny jones got a contract extension, when he really didnt accomplish much, i mean he did bounce back from the trilli era, which was what a 4 win season, i mean its impossible to do worst then trilli.....

but still jones get the extension, i can defiantely understand givin it to dickey cause he was pursued by oter teams, but i bet RV is kickin himself now....

still to lose your opening tourney game at home in the first round, is just lame

Does anyone remember How Trilli did and how many he won in the last 4 years he was at North Texas? dry.gif

Yes I remember, your point is? If you are inferring that JJ has improved the team from the Trilli era, then that is definitely true. However, improvement from one of the most pitiful coaching performance in NCAA history is not setting NT's standards very high.

Jr. High basketball teams run a better offense than what Jones has implemented. Our guys never move without the ball. Did you see how many times ASU got open running off some type of pick? When teams play man to man and you do not move without the ball your offense will be in trouble.

You have to move without the ball!!!

ohmy.gif

Back when JJ was hired, I remember hearing RV tell an interesting story.

"If I had Trilli's record would you still be my friend," asked JJ. "Of course I'd still be your friend," says RV, "But I wouldn't still be your boss!"

There has got to be someone out there who can get the job done. It takes longer to build a football program than a basketball program. We've got great basketball facilities. We're next to a hotbed of high school talent in the DFW area.

Back when JJ was hired, I remember hearing RV tell an interesting story.

"If I had Trilli's record would you still be my friend," asked JJ. "Of course I'd still be your friend," says RV, "But I wouldn't still be your boss!"

There has got to be someone out there who can get the job done. It takes longer to build a football program than a basketball program. We've got great basketball facilities. We're next to a hotbed of high school talent in the DFW area.

thats exactly what i am talking about, i couldnt say it any better myself.....

basketball programs can get jumpstarted in no time......as opposed to football....this believe it or not was supposed to be our marqueee year in bball, with hopkins healthy, and mitchell and company as experienced seniors and now on their way out.....

we dont have much to look forward to for next season, just a bunch of juco transfers that are left over from last season....

jones is not really good at recruiting and has proven that he cant step up in big conference games.....

wonder if RV is seriously thinking about someone else he can bring in....that is if there is someone available....

Next year we have Jeffrey Simpson and Justin Barnett coming back to the 5 as seniors, plus this new kid from Howe. We'll have Quincy and Harold Stewart (Crowley) at the 4. There'll be some good competition at the 4 & 5 next year for starting position. We've got Calvin Watson coming back at the 3, and Kendrick Davis (who I've heard is even better than Hop) eligible to start playing the 2. We'll also still have Isaac Hines at point; probably the best PG this school's ever seen.

It's hard to "jumpstart" a basketball program whose last, and only, NCAA appearance was over a decade and a half ago. I'm concerned with several of the coaching decisions, but I'm not ready to give up on JJ yet. I expect to make the tourney next year, however.

Everyone and every coach should be and will be accountable under RV. The bottom line is that JJ deserves to have his first full recruiting class go through to being seniors. That will be next year. After that, if there is not improvement then you can start the change of coach talk.

This season was definitely a disappointment. However, I do remember RV sticking with DD after a team went 3 years looking like it wasn't improving and just getting beat by ULM who ended a 19 or so game losing streak against us (1A opponents). RV stuck with DD because consistency is an important part of building a program (his words not mine).

Give JJ his full recruiting class, then decide what happens (that will be next year).

The bottom line is that JJ deserves to have his first full recruiting class go through to being seniors.  That will be next year.

Did JJ start in the summer and not get to recruit his first year? Did he red shirt a most of his recruits? If the answer to either is no then his first recruiting class just went through their senior year!

Did JJ start in the summer and not get to recruit his first year? Did he red shirt a most of his recruits? If the answer to either is no then his first recruiting class just went through their senior year!

JJ just finished his 3rd year. That's an easy answer. You can't be here 3 years and have had a 4 year senior class go through!

Just for your info, he was hired after the 2001 basketball season. 2002, 2003, now 2004 = 3 seasons.

JJ just finished his 3rd year. That's an easy answer. You can't be here 3 years and have had a 4 year senior class go through!

Just for your info, he was hired after the 2001 basketball season. 2002, 2003, now 2004 = 3 seasons.

JJ just finished his fourth season. 2001-2002, 2002-2003, 2003-2004, and 2004-2005. His record is 49-64, hard to get in three years. His first year recruits included Jerome Green and Lee Green both jucos.

I think some of you are giving up too fast. With a set of realistic expectation glasses on, I am seeing steady improvement each year. Didn't we finish @ .500 this regular season for the first time in who knows when?

I am not saying this is acceptable in the long term, but let's give JJ a chance to recruit with the onset of our new athletic venues coming on.

Overall, this team underachieved this year. This was obvious from the win over Denver and almost win ove WKU. But IMHO, I think that with more time JJ will have us well over .500 next year and deeper in the conference tournament. Don't forget the attendence doesn't help JJ in recruiting either. When you have some things stacked against you (attendance, prior records, conference, etc.)I think you deserve a little more time than the average well supported program!

Didn't we finish @ .500 this regular season for the first time in who knows when?

We finished 15-14 in 2001-02, the first year for Coach Jones. That was an improvement over a 4 win team the year before. Since then, the records have been 7-21, 13-15, and 14-14.

Time for JJ to go.  He's a nice guy, but hasn't produced on the court.  It's also time to bid farewell to Slinker.

i do believe that it is time for Johnny Jones to go, especially after the debacle of a performance in our own conference tourney...

but i believe slinker should stay on, she is a coach that can take alot of young girls and make them into a proven winning team in no time, very unfornate that the lady eagles lost on sunday, i was there with a friend, and though the girls had the game in the bag.

but i believe slinker should stay on, she is a coach that can take alot of young girls and make them into a proven winning team in no time, very unfornate that the lady eagles lost on sunday, i was there with a friend, and though the girls had the game in the bag.

What makes you believe this? Have you looked at her overall record for the past 16 years? Please explain.