Plea to Parcels

Guest e-bone

I'd like to see one of the young QBs developed as opposed to warming the bench all season. dry.gif

I think most would agree with that. However, I would take Bledsoe in a heartbeat over Testaverde. I think Blesdoe still has a couple of good years left in him under the right system.

I'd like to see one of the young QBs developed as opposed to warming the bench all season. dry.gif

It looks to me like Bill has already made up his mind on Henson and Romo. He doesn't like either one of them. His track record is also such that he has started very young QBs in the past (Bledsoe) so you can throw out any concern that he is being swayed by older, more established QBs. I just think that we've got nothing at QB and he knows it. Jerry just won't let him trim the fat.

If he didn't see something from Romo, he would have cut him last offseason and moved on to the next one at no risk. There is no way he can tell about Henson because the guy has been playing football for a year now after several years away. To assume he would not improve or that even if he did it would not be enough to be a starter in the NFL is crazy. There's no way for anyone to know right now, even Parcells.

He DOES want a veteran QB because he wants to win NOW and retire to the house he is buidling in New York. He doesn't want to wait for any QB to mature, he simply doesn't have time for it. He could have drafted Byron Leftwhich, and he passed. If he was open to the idea of a young QB, he would have taken him and also had more patience with Henson. He may have taken young QBs in the past, but he was younger then and felt like he could stay somewhere as long as he needed to. He is a lot older now and I think he is building for immediate success without leaving the organization in shambles.

That being said, give me Bledsoe over Vinny any day. They may be similar, but we saw the regression of Vinny over the season and that will continue to worsen as he ages. Bledsoe isn't a spring chicken, but compared to Vinny he is, and he should be able to maintain performance over a season.

There is a situation in San Diego that might help out - Drew Brees is up for a renewal and the Chargers haven't jumped at it yet (they drafted Phillip Rivers last year for their "future")... Brees is from Dallas, actually tried to get a ship at NT and was turned down by Matt Simon because Simon thought Spencer Stack was the second coming of Mitch Maher. Drew eventually wound up at Purdue and kicked some serious butt there.... this year he took the Chargers to the playoffs (this was his first full season - he has been nurtured along by their staff to this point).. but I would like to see him back in the Metroplex... he is a good guy from everything I have read.

Edited by stebo

Brees had a great season, but that was it, one season. It was also a contract year and he had a 4th pick of the previous draft behind him breathing down his neck. The Chargers franchised him I believe and I would have to see another good season out of Brees to want to spend big bucks on him.

Well at least instead of 42 year old Vinny we get Vinny 8 years ago (though Bledsoe was probably better at that point in their careers as well).

Now, if you start hearing Parcells say things like "He makes all the throws" or "He gives us the best chance to win", I will be easy to spot, I will be the guy with a screwdriver in my temple.

Bledsoe is two games worse than Testaverde? Even with Julius Jones coming into his second season?

Yeah, I don't really see that, especially with two draft picks.

Looking at how football trends run, I'd expect them to do slightly better this year, regardless. Two 1st rounders, a bunch of money to spend, and an easier schedule should help them out.

Bledsoe vs. Testaverde over their careers is pretty even. Bledsoe has always been overrated, and his QB rating has never been over 90... EVER.

BUT, he's fairly consistant in his mediocrity. No extreme highs or lows over the course of a season. Vinny, on the other hand, has a career of extremes. The results.... they are about the same in effectiveness. But, with Bledsoe being 8 years younger, there's still the little sand grain of hope that he could put together a career year, even at 33. Heck, Vinny did it in his early 30s. I seriously doubt it, and, in fact, for the future of the Cowboys, believe it's best if he tanks, forcing them to play a young guy. Even if the young guy doesn't succeed, it forces their hand for next year's draft.

Bottom-line, anything could happen, but the Bledsoe signing won't likely have THAT much of an impact on how the season pans out. Sure, they COULD go 4-12, but it'll have to be more than Bledsoe putting them there.

At some point in time, the Cowboys are going to need to use a high draft pick on a quarterback......To me, signing Drew Bledsoe is an attempt at another temporary fix. Yet, I think that Bledsoe does have a few good years left in him. If the Cowboys wanted to develop Drew Henson, then Parcells would not be the coach, because Parcells loves veterans; not taking the time and effort to groom a young QB.

At some point in time, the Cowboys are going to need to use a high draft pick on a quarterback......To me, signing Drew Bledsoe is an attempt at another temporary fix. Yet, I think that Bledsoe does have a few good years left in him. If the Cowboys wanted to develop Drew Henson, then Parcells would not be the coach, because Parcells loves veterans; not taking the time and effort to groom a young QB.

I think Parcells NOW likes veterans, because he's not in it for the long haul.

He started Bledsoe as a rookie, so I don't think he has a philosophical problem against starting youg guys.

Still, Jerry Jones has a man-crush on Henson, but Parcells won't play him. So we're stuck.