Sam Byrd Review

Harry

I got to watch UNT Recruit Sam Byrd play some in the first half. Couple of early thoughts:

- He's tall, every bit of 6-10+, and can run up the floor. Long wingspan.

- He's thin and his upper body and arms need development.

- He looks really young...perhaps just turned 18 or maybe still 17? He could get taller although he's never going to be a beast physically speaking.

- He's tall enough that he can get some boards although I don't see him as a "boardman"... his strength at this point is shot blocking and fast break ability (speed).

- Has definate shot blocking skills already. Blocked at least two that I saw. Seems to have natural Will Smith type of timing.

- He is more of a finesse reactionary player not very aggressive and not very physical. He seems to still be adjusting to his body (height).

- He could help us from a shot blocking perspective but would be a liability as a low past defender against the likes of Southall etc..

- From a brief look, I would guess that Johnny would prefer to redshirt this kid and give him a year in the weight room. He has a huge upside with his height and athleticism. This guy is a caliber of player (huge upside with height and wingspan) that we haven't been able to get at UNT prior to Jones.

Analayst Jim Haller commented that "Byrd is heading to the University of North Texas where his coach Johnny Jones is doing a fine job."

Is Sam going to be a three for UNT? Can he shoot from outside? I'm thinking of Jason McCoy who was 6'10" or so and 175 lbs. when he graduated from Milby H.S. He played his freshman year at Rutgers last year.

Houston is going with a 7'0" shot blocker (weighs about 205 or so) at the center spot. Just curious if Sam can shoot much but you probably didn't get to see much of that. I'm glad he was able to get a spot in the game with Kendrick Davis's absence.

-formerly "tristatecoog"