Ramon Flanigan in New York Times

Cerebus

"I agree that there are too few minorities in coaching, but to require (or infer/suggest) an institution to hire someone simply based on race would be just as wrong."

I agree it is wrong and it is something that has been going on in this country since its inception. It is time to start making the playing field more even. To me 3 out of 117 is not even.

DD has won 4 consecutive D1 Conference Championships, yet he is not getting any offers.  So is that because he is white, or maybe, just maybe, that it is possibly due to his bad OOC record...

To infer that RF should be getting offers, when DD can't, should at least make one consider that maybe race isn't the primary factor in this case. 

I agree that there are too few minorities in coaching, but to require (or infer/suggest) an institution to hire someone simply based on race would be just as wrong.

In most cases, superior performance will result in personal advancement of one's career, regardless of race.

DD hasn't been getting any job offers? Last I heard he was and hadn't found one worth leaving for.

Considering the majority of black football players at the collegiate level, then there is something very wrong about having black head coaches make up only 2.6% of D1-A head coaches. You can't honestly believe that of the 117 head coaching jobs in D1-A football, that black coaches were the best candidates for only 3 of those jobs. To think that is so narrow minded I really don't know how to respond to it.

Not a question that I can answer but with all the concerns being raised regarding the hiring of minority coaches why are there no comments raised about the “star” minority athletes not choosing to play for a minority coach? Let face it D-1 football is a BIG business and if schools start seeing a competitive advantage in the caliber athletes they are singing because they have a minority coach you would see a sudden and dramatic increase in the number of minority coaches.

First, why aren't there more white college football players? Oh, the best players get the spots? I see, that's how it works. Is that fair?

Now let's consider that as mentioned in the NY Times article that there are not that many black assistant coaches by number but it is increasing. For a 1-A job opening there may be 100+ applicants of which maybe 2.6 % of applicants are black. Until the total of applicants with experience comes up the line then the head coaching percentages will stay about the same. It has nothing to do with bias, it's numbers and experience and not enough yet.

I agree with LoveMG's last post:

The point of the article was not to jump on the bandwagon of people complaining about the number of minority head coaches in NCAA football. It was to offer an explanation as to how to change that. RF is depicted as a minority, not just because of skin color, but because he's one of so few ASSISTANT coaches who are are black. RF has been given an opportunity here at NT unlike many others in the country. He will have a much better shot at moving on and up because of his coaching experience as a prominent assistant.

Now I don't know the numbers on the assistant coaches in college football, but I do know that most college coaches don't get much time to be successful. They had better come in prepared, and not needing to learn on the job. Part of the reason, IMHO, that you see so few minority head coaches is b/c so few quickly succeed when given the shot. Part of that, at least according to the article, is that they may not have had the experience coming into the job.

Also, why does everybody on the board feel the need to dog RF at every chance they get. Last I checked, we ran the same crap offense before he took over as OC.

Edited by TIgreen01

Does anybody actually believe that Ramon is ready for a HC position or even an OC at an upper Conference School. I think he would be best suited taking a D-II or small I-AA and work from there. His playcalling this past year was *ahem* not Great.

Plus would he have any clue on how to coach the defense, yes he can obviously help recruit, but nothing sticks out and he could not even make the finalists list at the Tennessee State job.  huh.gif

What is the difference between a Division D- II and a small I-AA ?

RF's age will continue to hurt him for the next few years. Let's not forget that he was a college quarterback just 7 seasons ago. Any AD that hires him has to answer to the board and the alumni and not many want to answer the question, " Our new head coach is HOW old?" It's gonna take some time but he will have his day if we keep having NCAA rushing champs.

What was Flannigan's record at SMU? I know he was there during Dickey's last year when they went 6-5. Did he win any OOC games as a qb, I know he's won very few as a coach.

GMG

Edited by GreenBat

What was Flannigan's record at SMU? I know he was there during Dickey's last year when they went 6-5. Did he win any OOC games as a qb, I know he's won very few as a coach.

GMG

From Meangreensports.com

Flanigan was a 1997 graduate of SMU where he led the Mustangs to a 6-5 record, the school’s first winning season since 1986. He concluded his SMU career as the school’s career leader in total offense with 7,427 yards and as the school’s fourth all-time leading passer with 5,640 yards. He is the only player in SMU history to pass for 5,500 or more yards and rush for at least 1,500 yards. He had 30 career passing touchdowns and 27 career-rushing touchdowns for a school record 57 touchdowns produced.

He made his collegiate debut as a true freshman in 1992, but received a red-shirt after partially tearing a thumb ligament against North Texas and missing the final nine games of the season. In 1994, Flanigan was one of 11 players in the country selected to the CFA Good-Works All-America team. He was a second-team all-SWC pick that season after finishing 13th in the nation in total offense (237.1 yards per game). In 1996 he was named WAC Mountain Division "Player of the Week" after a 23-10 win over Arkansas.

For OOC wins:

In 1993 SMU beat Navy

In 1994 SMU beat New Mexico

In 1995 SMU beat Arkansas

In 1996 SMU beat Arkansas

In 1997 SMU beat Arkansas

Edited by Eagle-96

So colleges are supposed to gift wrap head coaching jobs?

Yeah, 3 out of 117 in itself isn't something to cheer about, but red, yellow, black, white, or purple, aren't you supposed to earn your job? Instead of having it given to you on a silver platter.

No one has said anything about just giving head coaching jobs to anyone. Some of us just find it a little hard to believe that out of 117 head coaching jobs in D1-A football, only 3 black coaches were qualified enough to earn a head coaching job.

Wait, they make up 67% of the NFL, despite being a minority?  Someone needs to look at the hiring process for running backs!

Thank you, that is exactly what I was about to post. Yes racism does still exist, but it goes BOTH ways!!!! A white child wants to be a running back, stick him at the fullback position. A white child wants to be a a reciever, put him at tight end. No questions asked, stick him there. Let the white kids be the linemen. Yeah, there are a few white kids at those "skill" postions, but they have a huge uphill battle to get the chance to play the position. I think sometimes its harder for them to get a chance at those positions than it is for a black player to get a chance at quarterback. Don't think so, check the numbers. I don't know where to check, but Im willing to say that I am dead on on this. It seems that many want to focus on the racism on hiring coaches, but want to deny the racism in the actaul game itself. Shouldn't the best player and coach get the job?

Yes genius, and while I may not be a zoology major, you're certainly not a sociology one. They are a minority because they don't make up a majority of the U.S. population. You're a Mean Green fan but I'm questioning whether we got accepted to the same University after that statement.

Yes, because its so obvious that the league is trying to hold down the white guy. rolleyes.gif

Hey, "genius." Go to dictionary.com and look up sarcasm. TO make it easier for you, here: "Wait, they make up 67% of the NFL, despite being a minority (in terms of general populace)? Get it, now?

If the NFL is 67% black athletes, and less than 50% of the populace, then that means that there's a disparate number of black athletes in the league and measures need to be taken to ensure that more white and latin athletes get their fair share. I don't think I'll be satisfied until each football position has an appropriate number of white, latin, and asian athletes.

Obviously they ARE holding down the white man. Look at the numbers. All I'm doing is drawing a similar conclusion as you are. It's your logic. If you don't like it, then don't use it.

Edited by Monkeypox

You're not using my logic because you have failed to see my point.

My point is that black players have PROVEN that they are worthy of holding 67% of the league's jobs through performance. Black coaches on the other hand (through whatever reasons: racism, marketing, not enough of them interview) have no been given a fair chance to compete for head coaching positions. If you really believe this isn't the case, then how do you explain a 3 to 114 ratio?

You have no proof to back up either of your points.

You say that black athletes have proven themselves superior to white athletes, but, with absolutely no evidence, suggested that the same is not the case for white coaches, but that, instead, it's racism.

The only statistic you've used is the one I turned around to show it's logic faults.

I am using your logic. You simply have failed to make your point effectively.

Really, what "statistics" do you have that say black men are better athletes than white men? Besides, I could show you a study done in the 40's that said black men had a smaller brain than white men. Now, we all know that's not true, so I doubt that a person's race makes them a better athlete. Ive seen plenty of evidence of that at 24hr fitness. Before you say there is no relevance, realize that you are talking genetics. There are no genetics that make blacks better athletes and whites smarter. Coaches put middle school and high school atheltes at certain postions. Many times they move a white kid to fullback or tight end without giving them a fair chance, just like the move black kids away from quarterback positions without giving them a fair chance.

Remember we all bleed the same color, green.

What is black and white and read all over?

this post rolleyes.gif