UNT women lose to UTA

SUMG

UTA 59 UNT 55

The game is 57-55, our women make a defensive stop and have the ball with 9.2 seconds left. Tina calls a timeout. (which is our final timeout).

When we come out of the timeout, the player who gets the ball inbounds....is double-teamed, has no one to throw to, and can't call timeout (since we're out of them).....and gets called for a five-seconds violation.

One reason no one was open: WE ONLY HAD 4 PLAYERS ON THE COURT.

UNT is not even close to being the best team we have beaten.....

UTA basketball is no pushover......we have a very good veteran team.....

and a very good young coach in Donna Capps........we have beaten Kansas, Arkansas Little-Rock, New Mexico State, Southern Utah

we also took #24 Villanova to the final shot......

we needed this win after the absolute shallacking we took in Austin.....but you guys should not take any shame in losing to us.........

Edited by giantbenmav

Losing to that UTA juggernaut on your home court would be a concern to most programs.

Typical attitude that I expect out of a generic UNT fan. Uneducated about the facts and justs makes generic asumptions based on some non-existent stereotype that UNT is better in everything. Then those same people turn around and complain about SMU's undeserved superiority complex. Boy, I despise two-faced people.

Typical attitude that I expect out of a generic UNT fan. Uneducated about the facts and justs makes generic asumptions based on some non-existent stereotype that UNT is better in everything. Then those same people turn around and complain about SMU's undeserved superiority complex. Boy, I despise two-faced people.

From generic uneducated UNT fan, you are complainting about someone making generalizations. I am quite aware of UTA basketball program and have been quite impressed with both the mens and womens programs based on the resources and facilities that UTA has. IF you were a UNT fan I think you may be a little upset at losing to a UTA program at home with all the advantages NT has over UTA at this time. I have nothing against UTA , and in fact have seen many games at UTA.

Speaking of sterotypes, how pitiful is it for some opponents' fan to comment and insult someone on another school's board that you have never met and know not one damn thing about based on your assumptions. I can only assume you are not quite the idiot that you seem to be.

Edited by GrandGreen

We didn't play too well, and I thought there was some contact on that 5 second call. Seriously, losing to TUA? Why even play them? If you win, big deal, if you lose, it hurts. I like Coach Slinker, but the women's team has been slipping since we lost Jalie. Something needs to change, and quick. Even when we were winning, we were losing to "bigger teams". Our girls looked like high school players in size and ability when playing top programs, even though they usually kept them close. My point is that while we were good, we never seemed to get better and bigger. Now I think we have started regressing. I hope we can change things for the better.

IF you were a UNT fan I think you may be a little upset at losing to a UTA program at home with all the advantages NT has over UTA at this time.

Which are? Facility sure. Coach, definite not. One thing UTA does that UNT doesn't is hire coaches. Every year we hold our collective breath that our coaches, in most sports, that larger programs don't swoop them up, like UT did with Jody Conradt. Can you say the same about Slinker?

I really love our girls...and our girls' coaching staff really are GREAT people. Incredible people. Coach Dziuk especially...

That said...I really think we've been in a funk with this team over the past few years since Jalie graduated...and the only real constant has been Coach Slinker. Should she go? I dunno. But I really hope that team get's their act together soon...

I like Coach Slinker and her staff, too. As a matter of fact, they've done a great job recruiting for next year, as we signed 4 of the top 35 players in Texas.

But that being said.....if after a timeout, we only have four players on the floor (at a crucial time in the game), well that is one of the biggest bonehead moves I've ever seen in college basketball. (ranks right up there with: Chris Webber calling timeout when Michigan didn't have any; and Derek Harper dribbling the ball and running the clock out, at the end of a tied Mavericks' playoff game).

It's amazing to me, nowadays......teams (football and basketball) have more coaches than ever......and yet little stuff seems to be overlooked more often now, than when teams had skeleton staffs.

UTA also has a fine men's basketball team given their limited resources.

It is ridiculous that NT and UTA do not play each other. It makes no economic sense to play someone half way across the continent that most fans haven't heard of when there is a fine opponent and a poential rivalry a short bus drive away. NT-UTA games used to regularly draw crowds of over 5,000. I was at a game in Arlington once when I was a little late and had to sit on the very top row of the gymatorium. The place was sold out.

Nt fans have no moral right to gripe about SMU not playing us when we refuse to play UTA. Yes, it was NT that ended the series.

Nt fans have no moral right to gripe about SMU not playing us when we refuse to play UTA. Yes, it was NT that ended the series.

Bravo

as I said in an earlier post, UNT should not fell "bad" for losing to UTA....they have beaten better teams then you guys........it is not a jab or anything, look at our wins........UNT was a good win for us, and I give all the credit in the world to your women's coach for scheduling us when you men's coach wont.....

I read a quote asking you mens coach a question about scheduling more local teams........his reply was basically either they wont play us or it would hurt our RPI too much....that was an obvious shot at UTA......

part of the reason UTA's RPI is low is the fact that teams will not play us.......but what makes your coach full of it is this year you have teams on your schedule that we played and beat last year.........

I say bring it on...there should be a DFW basketball tournament....with UTA / UNT / TCU / SMU / and any others you can think of.......rotate the host campus every year or play in a neutral locale.......

all of our schools have enough trouble getting butts in the seats and ignoring potential rivalry games is foolish on all parts..........I have no idea if UTA is making a conscious effort to play UNT / SMU but they should...we have played TCU the past 2 years........

Compare the Metroplex, where only TCU will play it's neighbors, with the Big 5 of Philadelphia where big timers Vilanova, Temple and St. Joe's play little Penn and LaSalle every year.

A Metro tournament would be great, but a round robin championship like Philadelphia's Big 5 would be even better.

Before the Big 5 began, Philadelphia schools did not even speak to each other. After play began, due to the local interest, attendance picked up and local high school players started staying at home to play with their favorite Big 5 schools. TCU, SMU, NT and UTA almost never sign a top Metroplex player.

Vilanova finally became selfish and decided the Big 5 was a $ losing proposition for them. But now, they have returned.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_19_223/ai_54654908click here

Edited by Buford_Julep

It is ridiculous that NT and UTA do not play each other. It makes no economic sense to play someone half way across the continent that most fans haven't heard of when there is a fine opponent and a poential rivalry a short bus drive away. NT-UTA games used to regularly draw crowds of over 5,000. I was at a game in Arlington once when I was a little late and had to sit on the very top row of the gymatorium. The place was sold out.

I hope NT NEVER, EVER, plays UTA in Arlington until they have a proper basketball court.

I have seen many games at UTA (I lived in Arlington, even taught at UTA 3 yrs) and saw NT play UTA).

Their excuse for a BB court is the worst I have ever seen. 5 to 6 steps past either end of the court you run into the wall. 5 to 6 steps off one side you fall into the orchestra pit. The visitors bench is immediately in front of the stage seating.

I have heard fan racial baiting of our black coach and players there from fans immediately behing our bench with nothing done. I have seen a dead chicken hung over our players head on the bench with blood dripping on them with nothing done. I have seen a UTA fan with garbage can led held over our players head and a car jack handle beating the can led with nothing done.

That excuse for a BB court is reason enough not playing in Arlington, don't talk about a moral right to grip.

Lucy -- 'splain this to me .  How is it that we only had FOUR players on the floor after the timeout ?

Joe....I wasn't at the game....just listened to it on the internet. But according to the announcer, after our player was double-teamed, tied up for 5 seconds forcing a turnover....he looked out and noticed that we only had 4 players on the court.

So with 9.2 seconds left, down by just two.....you figure to get off a shot to tie the game, or maybe even go for a three-pointer for the win. We didn't even get a shot off.

Then we fouled UTA on their inbounds, they made both free throws (that's why the final margin of victory was 4 points).

I heard we would not play on "the stage" again because it was considered dangerous for the players ( the 5 foot drop off the stage). Now, I started school at UTA before I transferred to NT and probably saw nearly every UTA/NT basketball game. There were some good crowds but I don't recall Texas Hall ever being close to sold out, especially the balcony seats. But I agree we should play UTA more often in basketball. We need every rival we can find! ph34r.gif

What amazes me even more than losing to UTA is what is going on down at A&M-Corpus. Those gals are beating up on some pretty good teams. Do they have a larger recruiting budget than NT, or do they simply have better coaching?

Record as an Independent

2001-2002 16-12

2002-2003 15-12

2003-2004 19-9

2004 10-2

Losses this year have been to #13 Purdue and to #11 Michigan State.

Edited by DeepGreen

I hope NT NEVER, EVER, plays UTA in Arlington until they have a proper basketball court.

I have seen many games at UTA (I lived in Arlington, even taught at UTA 3 yrs) and saw NT play UTA).

Their excuse for a BB court is the worst I have ever seen. 5 to 6 steps past either end of the court you run into the wall. 5 to 6 steps off one side you fall into the orchestra pit. The visitors bench is immediately in front of the stage seating.

I have heard fan racial baiting of our black coach and players there from fans immediately behing our bench with nothing done. I have seen a dead chicken hung over our players head on the bench with blood dripping on them with nothing done. I have seen a UTA fan with garbage can led held over our players head and a car jack handle beating the can led with nothing done.

That excuse for a BB court is reason enough not playing in Arlington, don't talk about a moral right to grip.

I dont know what UTA you are talking about.....but I can guarantee NOTHING like that would ever happen now........

I dont even care if UNT comes to Arlington.........I would not mind going up to Denton one bit.....

Thanks SUMG-But the question I was really asking is,  were we out of players ?  There some rule I'm not familar with ?  Or did our Coach just not count correctly ?  Did somebody screw up ?  GO MEAN GREEN

No we weren't out of players. Our coaches just didn't send enough out on the floor.

I'm with Buford. We had some fun years playing UTA and the "Stage" was our house a few times. Of course one of the largest regular conference games we had at the Super Pit while I was in school in '89 or '90, 5,200 or so fans saw the Mavericks pull out a close win. Those were some fun games for sure. There isn't any reason why we shouldn't renew the rivalry.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I'm with Buford.  We had some fun years playing UTA and the "Stage" was our house a few times.  Of course one of the largest regular conference games we had at the Super Pit while I was in school in '89 or '90, 5,200 or so fans saw the Mavericks pull out a close win.  Those were some fun games for sure.  There isn't any reason why we shouldn't  renew the rivalry.

Rick

It's good to hear some North Texas fans speaking this. To all those who think this, maybe we'll get to see each other in the stands one day when the schools decide to renew the rivalry. Maybe when we both get our shiny new athletic venues we both want for certain sports.

I'm definitely with Rick, Buford, and the UTA posters. I would love to see the UTA-NT rivalry renewed in men's basketball.

I hardly ever missed a game in the past, and they were great fun. You guys were really good in the Blakley era, and we were always excited when you came to town. Some of the most intense and entertaining games at Texas Hall - and probably the Pit - were when you came to town. It was a fabulous atmosphere, and we loved to hate you. It was a great rivalry, and the crowds were always pretty darn good. The local media coverage also picked-up for both teams. Papers gave it some prominance and local TV stations were routinely present for clips on the 10 p.m. news.

I think you are going to see UTA make an great effort to get an arena in the next few years. It seems to be a top brick & morter priority of our new administration; and it's justified way beyond simply sports.

In the meantime, if Texas Hall is too dangerous for your particular team or you have grown too fine for it, I also wouldn't mind heading up to Denton.