CBS Sportsline RPI Rankings

MeanGreen61

I know this is going to sound stupid - but wha in the heck is an "RPI" standing? I am looking at the Sportsline RPI rankings and their top 25 rankings and very few teams come close to matching rankings. Arizona is #3 in their RPI ranking list and #19 in their top 25 list. Is RPI - Ratings Percentage Index, and if so, what does that mean? I see that we are at 95 in Sags and I take sags seriously, I think we would beat almost every team below us in Sags given a neutral court and such... and I think the top 94 would give us trouble.... Looking at these RPI rankings, I can name off about 30 teams that "should" be able to beat us ranked lower then us so I am just wondering how they come up with the numbers.

Thanks in advance... by the way, I think we can go to the Dance this year as long we can knock of Western Kentucky. They seem to be the biggest threat but we will have home court advantage. It would be great for someone like UNO to knock them off in an early round upset to lighten up that stress level, our guys do not seem to respond well to stress (TCU game comes to mind - damn that still stings!)

RPI stands for Ratings Percentage Index, and uses a mathmatical formula to rank teams based on winning percentage, opponents' winning percentage, and opponents' opponents' winning percentage. Here is a website that I found that explains the forumula in depth.

It is needed because there are 326 D1 teams, which makes it extremely hard to rank them. Also, while it is fun to look at RPI rankings right now, they really don't start to matter until later in the season.

The RPI is supposed to be a tool used by the NCAA Tournament selection committee in making their selections. They don't have to use it. Almost every year a mid major with an RPI in the 30's or 40's is left out, and a school from a BCS conference with barely a .500 record gets in instead.

Playin' CHA tonight.

What is a MOC? That is the Chatanooga mascot. The image is a bird and a train.

Go Mean Green!!!!

From another thread:

"Several identities have been used in the past. With the old nickname “Moccasins,” a snake was used in the 1920’s and an Indian was used until the year of major change in 1996. A moccasin shoe was even used in the 1980’s.

Adopting the State Bird of Tennessee (the Mockingbird) as the core of the new identity, while incorporating the strong regional imagery of the “Chattanooga Choo-Choo” and Chattanooga’s vast railroad history, SME Design created a strong and very unique athletics identity for UTC.

The committee also recognized the need for the word “Chattanooga” to have a great emphasis in the logo. Thus, “The University of Tennessee at” is much smaller than the prominent place of “Chattanooga.” The nickname “Moccasins” was shortened to simply “Mocs.” Thus established, UTC could rebuild its athletics programs and initiatives around this new identity.

The primary logo is our mascot, Scrappy, riding a train. The secondary logo features the front of a train with the word Mocs built into the logo. This logo is affectionately called the “Cowcatcher logo,” referring to the front lower grill of the train that helped push objects from the train tracks."