I'm a lousy, sorry fan

FirefightnRick

I just like how they ramble on about wanting more and more.

We win conference championships, they complain about OOC games.

We win bowl games they complain about not being ranked high enough.

I must have missed this golden age of when UNT was ranked by the AP week after week, year after year. Or this great string of coaches that won and lavish praise on the fans.

Or these fantasic fans who backed Fouts every week, and lets not forget about all those donations.

You people find something to cry about every week. All DD has done is win giving the situation our school is in. And while fan support is growing are you ready to stay its at a level that's above criticism?

DD's a players coach, and he really does see it as him and his little football team against the world. If you don't like what he's saying, prove wrong. Pack fouts. Lead the SBC in season ticket sales. Travel 3K to away games. And be there for the bowl game.

I must have missed this golden age of when UNT was ranked by the AP week after week, year after year.  Or this great string of coaches that won and lavish praise on the fans.

Or these fantasic fans who backed Fouts every week, and lets not forget about all those donations.

You people find something to cry about every week.  All DD has done is win giving the situation our school is in.  And while fan support is growing are you ready to stay its at a level that's above criticism?

DD's a players coach, and he really does see it as him and his little football team against the world.  If you don't like what he's saying, prove wrong.  Pack fouts.  Lead the SBC in season ticket sales.  Travel 3K to away games.  And be there for the bowl game.

What's wrong with wanting the best for the program. I am very greatful for what Dickey has done here with the four conference championships and bowl bids. There is nothing wrong with wanting this team to move up to the next level, in fact fans should have the mentality of wanting to get to that next step. Granted this team has come a long way in the last few years, but I think we are past the point of "Well we are better than we were 5 years ago" to now moving to "What can the team do to get to the next level".

Edited by NTEagle08

RC Slocum and aTm?!

Are we talking about the same aTm who has 5 times our Mens Athletic Operating Budget?

If aTm didnt like Slocum, they could afford to go and get someone like Franchione, I dont see any sure things out there on our budget.

Shaft is right, this is the second Golden Age of North Texas football.

The first age ended when our fanbase failed Coach Fry and he left, and how long this Golden Age lasts is going to depend on if our fanbase steps up or not. Our revenue sport is doing its part.

4 straight bowl games and we just scrapped by 15k... ergh mad.gif

I must have missed this golden age of when UNT was ranked by the AP week after week, year after year.  Or this great string of coaches that won and lavish praise on the fans.

You people find something to cry about every week.  All DD has done is win giving the situation our school is in.  And while fan support is growing are you ready to stay its at a level that's above criticism?

DD's a players coach, and he really does see it as him and his little football team against the world.  If you don't like what he's saying, prove wrong.  Pack fouts.  Lead the SBC in season ticket sales.  Travel 3K to away games.  And be there for the bowl game.

Whats wrong with wanting to win OOC games? They bring credibility to not only the school, but the conference. Win bowl games? check your box scores, we are 1 and 2. Whats wrong with wanted to be ranked higher than 65? How are we finding something to cry about. We are stating the facts. look at the OOC record, see where we are ranked, look at the little attention we get from the national media.

"And why the fan support is growing, are you ready to say at a level thats above critisism?" What is that suppsosed to mean? I think we are ready to move to a level above criticism. Seriosuly, Im not sure what you mean by that.

We know that DD sees it as his team against the world, and making comments like the one made last night reinforce that. And why are you telling us to prove him wrong? We are the ones who go to nearly EVERY game. We are the ones who make 7 hour road trips during the week to watch our team play. We are the ones who have stuck by the team when they were 0-4 and being laughed at by the nation. We are the ones who still filled Fouts when we were on the brink of the Botom 10. We are the ones who will be in full force in New Orleans, despite lack of money. We re the ones who have earned the right to complain and point out things that we feel should be improved upon.

We are the UNT faithfull, despite who the coach is.

If there is a "us against the fans mentality" on this team, it sure is not reflected on the field...maybe it is a coach thing, not a player thing. I get nothing but "yes sir" and "thank you" when we speak with the players on the field after the games. I find these players exceptionally respectful, from the "star" players to the guys who I have never heard of before. I think our boys, at least after the games, focus on the people that attend, not those that don't.

I hope that someone can come on and "spin" Dickey's comments in a more positive way. But I believe that what I heard Dickey say in his post game comments was that after the Baylor game "the fans (as usual ) cussed us, but we circled the wagons". Circled the wagons against who? The SBC? The World? Or was he talking about the North Texas fans? Who by the way (up to that point in the season) expect a better effort , both from the team and the coaching staff?

I'm getting real tired of this "us-against-the-fans-bunker mentality".

Someone tell me I'm wrong about this (and make a credible presentationi).

I don't think its the players who take the mentality, I think its DD and his staff, or maybe its just DD. All I know is that the players and RV appreciate the effort. I have always recieved nothing but the sincerest "thank you for your support" from them.

Why must people continue to start these threads? If I were DD and I had just won my 4th consecutive conference championship in a row and I still was getting the kind of heat from fans that he is receiving and the apparant lack of support, I would be gone. Fry left NT because of a lack of fans...I am afraid that Dickey will do the same...and maybe after we win this bowl game. He just may take an offer and shake the dust off his shoes of Denton and NT.

Can anyone blame him?

ADs around the country look at coaches like DD and see that he can win with very meager resources and in front of empty stadiums and he can recruit players that can play anywhere with little to no budget and they think: "If he can do that at NT, what can he do with more resources and support?"

I am telling you that Dickey is going to be gone very soon. When he does, all this magic we have experienced lately is going to be gone with it. sad.gif