They Really are Ragin Cajuns

Physics Professor Goes on Rage in Class

LAFAYETTE, La. - A University of Louisiana at Lafayette physics professor was banned from the campus Wednesday and taken to the coroner's office for evaluation after threatening his class, university officials said.

Student Kacie Spears said professor Louis Houston lost control right after class began Wednesday morning and was yelling obscenities.

"Then he told us if we got out of our seats he's gonna kill us. He went on the black board and wrote "911 now", so we were really in fear for our lives," Spears told KATC-TV.

Spears said Houston slapped a student and then told his class he was God.

After class ended, students left the room in Broussard Hall and someone called campus security.

Houston was taken to campus police to answer questions. Officials then evacuated Broussard Hall and canceled all classes there while police searched the building. University police contacted the FBI (news - web sites), State Police, and the Lafayette Parish Sheriff's Department Intelligence Unit for assistance.

A bomb dog was also brought in to check for explosives, but nothing was found.

Spears said it wasn't the first time Houston had an outburst in class.

"He's always acted a little strange, he's yelled and cursed before, and this time we waited for it to stop, but it never did," Spears says.

Law enforcement officers transported Houston to the Lafayette Parish Coroner's Office to be evaluated for possible involuntary commitment to a mental health facility. In the meantime, Houston has been banned from the university's campus and his faculty duties have been suspended.

University officials said in a statement they would make a final decision about Houston's employment once a full investigation into the incident is complete.

blink.gifblink.gif

What exactly about his employment status needs to be evaluated? He claims to be God, slaps students, threatens to kill them, and writes "911 now" on the chalkboard...are they holding out hope that he was just kidding or is it necessary for your head to spin while the bed levitates before they'll fire you?

[" What exactly about his employment status needs to be evaluated? He claims to be God, slaps students, threatens to kill them, and writes "911 now" on the chalkboard...are they holding out hope that he was just kidding or is it necessary for your head to spin while the bed levitates before they'll fire you?"]...posted by emmitt01.

I cant believe the students waited as long as they did to contact security? At North Texas a Professor can strike a student in class, and will probably get his a$$ whipped. Of course, the profanity thing is not that unusual... I hear unbelievable things at Fouts Field on 3rd and long....

GMG!!!

What exactly about his employment status needs to be evaluated?  He claims to be God, slaps students, threatens to kill them, and writes "911 now" on the chalkboard...are they holding out hope that he was just kidding or is it necessary for your head to spin while the bed levitates before they'll fire you?

Maybe the guy has tenure! They can't just fire you if you've got tenure - even if you need to be locked in a room with soft walls for awhile. I remember having a few professors I THOUGHT ... well, never mind.

[" What exactly about his employment status needs to be evaluated? He claims to be God, slaps students, threatens to kill them, and writes "911 now" on the chalkboard...are they holding out hope that he was just kidding or is it necessary for your head to spin while the bed levitates before they'll fire you?"]...posted by emmitt01.

I cant believe the students waited as long as they did to contact security? At North Texas a Professor can strike a student in class, and will probably get his a$$ whipped. Of course, the profanity thing is not that unusual... I hear unbelievable things at Fouts Field on 3rd and long....

GMG!!!

thats exactly what I was thinking. I guess we are just less likley to put up with stuff being from texas, but I cant imagine that in an entire class no one got up and beat this guy. I know some cajuns and they dont seem like they would let that fly there either.