Sunday Morning Quarterback

TheColonyEagle

First of all, I guess I feel a little bit better now than I did after the UT game. At least we showed something. But, we still got routed by a Colorado team that very well could finish .500 on the year in a weak big 12 north. So, I'm going ahead with cautious optimism.

Offense

Super Jamarioooooooooo!!!!! All I can say is wow, but we need to be saying super offensive line. They were great yesterday. If I'm Patrick Cobbs, I've got to be shaking my head on the sidelines watching CU's linebackers actually have the thought in their head that we may pass the ball, by the time they figured it out, Jamario was running by them. THAT'S WHAT A BALANCED OFFENSE DOES. Before we start comparing Patrick and Jamario, Patrick hasn't had a chance in hell all season. Plus the O line looks like it is gelling quite nicely now. They've been dominated in first 2 games but of course 5 blocking 8 is tough for anyone. The gameplan yesterday had a lot to do with 247 yards rushing. If we would have had this game plan against FAU, we would be going into Waco with a chance to come out of OOC 2-2 heading into the MTSU game. I hope the coaching staff keeps it up. The receivers had a really good day, I was glad to see Quinn do something after being absent the first 2 games. I still for the life of me don't understand why Andy Blount still carries the ball like a loaf of bread. That was a perfect hit, but man, that changed the landscape of the whole game and we never recovered. If we would have gone up 21-14, who knows what would have happened. Overall, I have to say I was more than pleased with the offensive plan, effort and execution. Please keep it up!!! It was a blast to watch.

Defense

Ugh. I can't believe our defense has gone from a top 20 defense to #114 (as of this morning) in just 2 years. I just don't know what to say. I know losing those players was tough but man, are we this pathetic? I would just like for us to have an average defense. Even average for the Sunbelt would do at this point. Our "marshmellowy pillow soft" zone coverage is getting us killed. It usually takes me a few games to get to the point where I just accept that 8 yard completions are the norm for our defense and it seems they're ok, even on 3rd and 6. But it seems like it gets softer and softer every year. I don't know what the hell Kenny Evans is doing, but he needs to do something. Do we miss DeLoach that much? Why go and sign a "true cover" corner if we're gonna have him sitting back 10 yards deep from the receiver? The excitement I have for our offense is cancelled out by the concern I have for our defense. Man what a difference 2 years makes. Maybe these guys are trying and thinking too hard. Maybe they just need to go out and play some damn football and stop trying to not make mistakes. This is supposed to be a really athletic defense, maybe the defensive coordinator needs to take a note from the offensive coordinator and open up the defensive playbook and turn these athletes loose. DID YOU EVER THINK YOU WOULD HEAR THAT?! The conservative play on offense has been frustrating but how about the conservative play calling on defense? The bend don't break defense doesn't seem to be working anymore. I hope these guys figure something out in a hurry. sad.gif

Special Teams

Kadlubar was awful yesterday and Nick missed a 41 yard field goal. How about Phillip Graves? That dude's an animal on special teams. Nice one armed tackle on one punt return. I thought he tackled him by his nads at first.

Overall I feel better but we still got blown out again. I love the way the Sunbelt is playing so far, Ark St takes Memphis to the edge, Troy beats Missouri, FAU is playing really well, then NMSU turns around and beats Troy. It would be nice if we could include UNT in all this Sunbelt talk. I guess we will be forced to run the table again. It's gonna be really, really difficult. The rest of the conference can smell blood in the water and they're not scared of our defense this year.

I more or less agree. I feel better about the team than I did after UT and FAU. I only caught about 3/4 of the game, so here's my take:

Offensively: all in all, a good performance. Hall passed well [relatively speaking] even with the CU pass rush coming after him. I liked seeing Super jaMario come out and show us all why DD recruited him. This kid has a lot of potential with the Mean Green. He looks like he's got great field vision, incredible agility and great speed. He does look kinda funny when he runs; kinda Forrest Gump-esque stride, but he can run like a duck as long as he moves the chains, eh?

Defensively: bah...pass rush and coverage really irked me. I'm still waiting for our DB's to make their presence known with a few INT's and blocked passes. Still, the team is coming together. And as for the team ranking, we played a good UT unit with a lot of new faces in our D. I wouldn't be shocked if the UT game accounts for a huge chunk of our allowed yards at the end of the season. The D will buckle down, and I hope this includes better tackling. I don't like them just sticking an arm out; I wanna see the guy wrapped up.

The team is improving, and they improved a lot in just 2-3 weeks.

GMG! "Baylor" the Bears!

I know that, I'm just trying to figure out what it has to do with TheColonyEagle's analysis of the game.

A 31 point loss to Colorado and everyone is making out like we won the game? It was still a loss, a HUGE loss, by more than the point spread! Come up with all the excuses you want why it was better, it wasn't. You can put a dress on a skunk, but it is still a skunk!

30-44 overall record

7-33 OOC record

ohmy.gif

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that you're trying to be funny saying everyone wants to pretend like we won. Because I haven't seen a single person say that we did.

Dressing up a skunk, huh? I don't know about that.

What I do know is that everyone who went had positive things to say. If you were there, you have to admit we looked a lot better than in weeks 1 and 2. If you weren't, I don't know if you have room to talk.

What would you have us do? Run the team into the ground with the negatives? Yeah, there was a disparity in points. What you have to look at is WHY. If you want to focus on the points on the board, then you have a point. If someone wants to say that we played them pretty well, and a handful of bad plays contributed to such a bad score, then that is true as well. It really depends on your perspective. And call me Pollyanna, but I'd much rather focus on positives and work out the negatives than disregard the positives and only look at the score.

Bill Parcells, when asked if he thought this year's dallas cowboys were better than last year, responded, "of course I do. But whether that will translate into wins is a different story." The point here is that the best team in the world can go winless and the worst can go undefeated. What you have to look at is was there improvement and what we need to focus on.