Jump to content

Jared Mosely upset and rightfully so


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, NT80 said:

Easy answer:  No.   

Breaking away won't help avoid paying.  Non-FBS schools are having to pay the settlement too.   It goes back several years before now, players claiming they were denied the ability to earn NIL.    

Breaking away also won't improve our athletic department.   It would become the new 1-AA / FCS division....

no media = no fans = meaningless sports = diminished school marketing appeal = diminished diploma value.   

I tend to agree with you although live sports is still a valued commodity I don't know how a perceived minor league college football league would be viewed.  It would essentially put us back to IAA

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

Anyone watching the new Pro football league this spring.. UFL?   

No.  This would be the same, there would be no interest in a lower division college football league.  

But the UFL doesn’t have millions of built in fans (alumni and current students) like colleges do.  And a G5 league would be played in the fall (football season).

Would that guarantee success?  Of course not, but I think it would guarantee that it’d be better than the UFL (which admittedly may not be saying much).

  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, NT80 said:

Easy answer:  No.   

Breaking away won't help avoid paying.  Non-FBS schools are having to pay the settlement too.   It goes back several years before now, players claiming they were denied the ability to earn NIL.    

Breaking away also won't improve our athletic department.   It would become the new 1-AA / FCS division....

no media = no fans = meaningless sports = diminished school marketing appeal = diminished diploma value.   

I mean break away from the NCAA, there is no real reason they should stick around... they could break away and create a slightly different product that could potentially lead to a more fun game (maybe start with reducing game times below 4 hours/game.

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Ray 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Why don't the G5s work together and say "we're not paying....we didn't create this mess" and force the Power conferences to sue....P5s, state your case and convince a jury or the public you have a legitimate complaint. 

You don't.

 

Now we're talking.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Why don't the G5s work together and say "we're not paying....we didn't create this mess" and force the Power conferences to sue....P5s, state your case and convince a jury or the public you have a legitimate complaint. 

You don't.

 

That's the logical thing to do. 

But they aren't standing up for their stepping stone job and blacklist themselves from their dream of coaching/administrating at a p5. And that's why little vague comments on social media from these people faking outrage is beyond irrelevant. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/22/2024 at 1:31 PM, MeanGreen_MBA said:

If the G5 left, it might take time to get the TV revenue.  I do think people will get tired of watching the same 30 teams on TV like it was in the 70’s and 80’s with only 2-3 channels showing games.  
 

the G5 would get a lot of demand quickly and people are used to being able to watch whatever game they want.  Which may actually give the G5 leverage on a TV contract. 

Do you guys listen to yourselves at all? If we had so much TV value why aren't we getting it now? But somehow if we left the system with the most valuable teams we would get more money?  It doesn't have any kind of sense.

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Green Otaku said:

Do you guys listen to yourselves at all? If we had so much TV value why aren't we getting it now? But somehow if we left the system with the most valuable teams we would get more money?  It doesn't have any kind of sense.

What is your guess on how many games are actually shown on TV from Weds - Sat during the season?  I watch games from the Ivy League, MWC, Sunbelt, AAC, C-USA, as well as from the big boys. There is a reason that these games are shown.  People watch them.  Initially, maybe there is a pause…but I will get tired of watching the same 30 teams…I want to see games across all spectrum.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

What is your guess on how many games are actually shown on TV from Weds - Sat during the season?  I watch games from the Ivy League, MWC, Sunbelt, AAC, C-USA, as well as from the big boys. There is a reason that these games are shown.  People watch them.  Initially, maybe there is a pause…but I will get tired of watching the same 30 teams…I want to see games across all spectrum.  

I don't have to guess. Here are the games and here are the ratings: https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

Week 7. UNT vs Temple, 37k viewers. The big names are getting 3/4/7 Million viewers. Our 37k viewers are are a drop in the ocean. Week 12 we did 618k vs SMU on ESPN2. We'd have to triple those numbers to make people notice us.

You may get tired of them, but the general public does not. There's a reason the same few teams are featured on national TV every week, and if people were tired of them they wouldn't be.

There's no way we would have any kind of network interest with decent money if we broke away from the power schools.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/24/2024 at 7:21 PM, Green Otaku said:

I don't have to guess. Here are the games and here are the ratings: https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

Week 7. UNT vs Temple, 37k viewers. The big names are getting 3/4/7 Million viewers. Our 37k viewers are are a drop in the ocean. Week 12 we did 618k vs SMU on ESPN2. We'd have to triple those numbers to make people notice us.

You may get tired of them, but the general public does not. There's a reason the same few teams are featured on national TV every week, and if people were tired of them they wouldn't be.

There's no way we would have any kind of network interest with decent money if we broke away from the power schools.

Explain, then, why all these other games are being televised?  According to you, there is no value to it.  The networks/cable….would not show them if there was not a value to it.  I would venture that in any week during the season, here in the DFW area, I could watch 20-30 games on TV.  Please explain how/why that is possible if there is no value to the networks??

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Explain, then, why all these other games are being televised?  According to you, there is no value to it.  The networks/cable….would not show them if there was not a value to it.  I would venture that in any week during the season, here in the DFW area, I could watch 20-30 games on TV.  Please explain how/why that is possible if there is no value to the networks??

It's filler content. Networks need content to fill out their schedules, especially ESPN+ which can show many games at once. I never once said there in no value, tonnage is a thing in media. What I am saying is we are low value, and would be even lower if we make another drop in perception.

So now I ask you what is the value of your games when you get paid 10x less than other conferences? And that's us who have the best media deal out of the G5s, the MAC, CUSA, and SBC could be looking at something like 60x lower.

Edited by Green Otaku
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, SUMG said:

Bilas responds to Jared:

 

Bilas sounds like another P5 suck-up.  Athletes will have to accept restrictions on compensation if they want roster spots on some programs.  Deal with it or join the military!

  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/26/2024 at 11:38 AM, NT80 said:

Bilas sounds like another P5 suck-up.  Athletes will have to accept restrictions on compensation if they want roster spots on some programs.  Deal with it or join the military!

When will some of the media types start standing up for the little guy?

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, meangreenfaninno said:

When will some of the media types start standing up for the little guy?

This ain’t politics. College sports have very certain brands that make the networks money with eyeballs. The little guys aren’t any of those brands.

  • Puking Eagle 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m just waiting to watch some ball, I hope it is against like institutions. Saturday afternoons hearing the roar of the Green. I’ll catch some SEC Big games but on my schedule and convenience. I’m not seeking it out over a weekend with the Mean Green Tribe in Denton Texas on a warm, cool, windy, rainy, Saturday afternoon. 

I may be unique but I followed this team to Monroe. Troy, southern miss, El Paso, Colorado Springs, Tempe, boca, Murpheesboro, bowling green and las cruces. Some of the best trips of my fandom. 

It’s going to be green forever no matter the landscape. 

GMG

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A small part of this is a self-fulfilling prophecy.  The decision-makers at the various networks lockup conferences with contracts and put the match-ups they deem to be the most desirable in the best time-slots to maximize eye-balls and low-and-behold, those get the highest ratings.  Of course that confirms in their mind that they have this thing figured out and the cycle repeats.

The 37K viewership for UNT/Temple was on ESPNU, but let's face it, none of the games on the U pulled in big numbers with most under 50K.  We had 88K for the UNT/Cal game.  The most viewed game of the season on ESPNU was the Memphis/Missouri game at 181K.

Put the UNT/SMU game on ABC, CBS, NBC or Fox at a desirable time-slot and I suspect we'd double or triple the 618K we got on a Friday at 9:00p on ESPN2.  Same teams, same game, but different numbers IMHO simply due to network and timeslot.   

  • Upvote 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, keith said:

Put the UNT/SMU game on ABC, CBS, NBC or Fox at a desirable time-slot and I suspect we'd double or triple the 618K we got on a Friday at 9:00p on ESPN2.  Same teams, same game, but different numbers IMHO simply due to network and timeslot.   

Totally agree on this. 

The only issue I see if that if they separate the have from the have nots you will see a lot of lower level P5 programs start losing a lot more games as they cannot rely on lower level wins against G5 schools.  These new big P5 conferences are so big they don't have much room for non conference games as I see it.  Some actually have mandated you have to play 9 plus conference games every year.

  • Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Tell a friend

    Love GoMeanGreen.com? Tell a friend!
  • What's going on Mean Green?

    1. 53

      Uniforms

    2. 0

      Channel 8 WFAA Segment

    3. 27

      Pernetti Interview

    4. 0

      Latest on OSU/WSU vs MWC

    5. 34

      Money...Money...MONEY!

  • Popular Contributors

  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      15,401
    • Most Online
      1,865

    Newest Member
    NTWL20
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.