Jump to content

Where do we go from here?


Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

if Rubin is back, the core is:

- Rubin Jones (Sr.)
- Aaron Scott (Sr.)
- CJ Noland (Sr.)
- John Buggs III (Sr.)
- Rondel Walker (Sr.)
- Moulaye Sissoko (Sr.)
- Matt Stone (Sr.)
- Jason Edwards (Jr.)

that's plenty to compete (obv. with an Allen replacement). with all the experience returning, I'm really not that worried about Edwards bolting after one year here...he has two years eligibility after this season, so depending on what the reload looks like for '25-26 maybe then he takes a chance elsewhere for his senior season. 

Wildcards:

- Christian Moore (Jr.)
- Alex Cotton (Fr.-RS...I guess??)
- Tyran Mason (Fr. incoming)
- Layne Taylor (Fr. incoming)

two big guards, two little guards. gotta feel like if this is all the chance Moore is being given...desperation 4-5 minutes a night mid-injury-crisis, and with the reins white-knuckled in Hodges hands while he's on the floor, that he's probably going to be asked to go find another home and Taylor is a straight in replacement. 

Oops:

- Chris Morgan (Jr. 4th year)
- Terrance Dixon (Soph.??)

so the math puts this at 14 scholarships...so imma still go back to the idea that Dixon is a walk-on (he was never announced as a signing via Twitter/website like the other signees) or the staff 100% knows that Jones won't be granted a 5th year. if Dixon is on scholarship and the plan all along was to redshirt Cotton, we ostensibly negated a quarter of the roster considering clearly Hodge was never going to play Morgan. that's some suss management. 

either way, growth next year is firstly dependent on clearing out some players. Morgan has gotta go. this is already 3 years of dead money. I also think Moore is gone and Taylor is a straight swap. it feels less likely, but if it improves the roster, I won't lose sleep over Sissoko or Stone leaving either. 

to that core group, we desperately need a replacement for Allen...I think it almost has to be another P5 transfer big man, preferably one who will unquestionably move into the starting line-up day one. 

I'd also love a true point guard with some D1 experience...and since this is my wishlist, make him 6'3"-6'5"-ish. this should move Edwards entirely off-ball...Rubin and CJ can be primarily off-ball wings, while spelling '24-25 Ryan Woolridge on the ball for stretches...and Layne Taylor can develop slowly.

beyond that, it all depends on who is leaving.

 

To go along with what you are saying about players returning next year, there is an intangible thing I don't quite know how to quantify or if it's even matters. Looking at who would return next year would it be the first time in quite a few season that we don't have wholesale roster changes? And because of the large changes we have always had to wait for the team to "gel." We always got better as the season went on and the players got to know each other, only to have to build up that familiarity and understanding the next season. Will we finally have a roster that can hit the ground running?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I doubt everyone comes back even though I wish most would.  These days in college sports everyone transfers.  That said, if this team had been healthy the last month or so, I really think we'd have at least two more wins, which would put us in the mix for the #2 seed depending on who we beat..

  • Upvote 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, NT80 said:

Rubin tried a comeback once and it didn't last long.  Sometimes these type injuries continue to flair up for a while.   They are trying to let it fully heal as long as possible, but need him back asap.  I wouldn't count on him as a savior until after we see that the injury is truly over.

Ross doesn't roll with a 10-man rotation unless forced to by injury during a game.  But a Tourney is ironman basketball.  If we are forced to play 4 games again in 4 days we will be in trouble.

Next game marks just about 1 month since his re-injury. I would like to see him sit until the ECU game on March 3rd. We have UTSA and Tulane next. I think we can afford to let him sit a bit longer. Hopefully it's enough rest to keep him healthy through the end of our season.

I know Ross doesn't roll with 10 guys. The point in having Stone and Moore would be to give guys like Rubin and CJ good rest when possible. Handle business early in games, build a lead, and let them play limited minutes. We've been asking for a deeper pool of game-ready guys for that reason. Well now we have it.

  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

if Rubin is back, the core is:

- Rubin Jones (Sr.)
- Aaron Scott (Sr.)
- CJ Noland (Sr.)
- John Buggs III (Sr.)
- Rondel Walker (Sr.)
- Moulaye Sissoko (Sr.)
- Matt Stone (Sr.)
- Jason Edwards (Jr.)

that's plenty to compete (obv. with an Allen replacement). with all the experience returning, I'm really not that worried about Edwards bolting after one year here...he has two years eligibility after this season, so depending on what the reload looks like for '25-26 maybe then he takes a chance elsewhere for his senior season. 

Wildcards:

- Christian Moore (Jr.)
- Alex Cotton (Fr.-RS...I guess??)
- Tyran Mason (Fr. incoming)
- Layne Taylor (Fr. incoming)

two big guards, two little guards. gotta feel like if this is all the chance Moore is being given...desperation 4-5 minutes a night mid-injury-crisis, and with the reins white-knuckled in Hodges hands while he's on the floor, that he's probably going to be asked to go find another home and Taylor is a straight in replacement. 

Oops:

- Chris Morgan (Jr. 4th year)
- Terrance Dixon (Soph.??)

so the math puts this at 14 scholarships...so imma still go back to the idea that Dixon is a walk-on (he was never announced as a signing via Twitter/website like the other signees) or the staff 100% knows that Jones won't be granted a 5th year. if Dixon is on scholarship and the plan all along was to redshirt Cotton, we ostensibly negated a quarter of the roster considering clearly Hodge was never going to play Morgan. that's some suss management. 

either way, growth next year is firstly dependent on clearing out some players. Morgan has gotta go. this is already 3 years of dead money. I also think Moore is gone and Taylor is a straight swap. it feels less likely, but if it improves the roster, I won't lose sleep over Sissoko or Stone leaving either. 

to that core group, we desperately need a replacement for Allen...I think it almost has to be another P5 transfer big man, preferably one who will unquestionably move into the starting line-up day one. 

I'd also love a true point guard with some D1 experience...and since this is my wishlist, make him 6'3"-6'5"-ish. this should move Edwards entirely off-ball...Rubin and CJ can be primarily off-ball wings, while spelling '24-25 Ryan Woolridge on the ball for stretches...and Layne Taylor can develop slowly.

beyond that, it all depends on who is leaving.

I'd like to see a replacement big for Allen who is more potent with his post moves and forces double teams to get our shooters open.

But we also don't have a true SF on this team. Unless you count someone unstable like Stone. I'd like to see us find someone at this position who can reliably drive and score or draw fouls, especially when our threes aren't going in, like a Jordan Williams.

  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The way college basketball is now, I wouldn’t count on any of these guys coming back. 

Edwards is certainly going to be offered Tylor Perry money from the SEC/Big 10/Big 12. 
Maybe we can still keep him. I don’t know. 

It used to be fun to look at a team like this and imagine next season when they are all healthy, but we could very easily be looking at an 8-man rotation next season that contains ZERO of our current guys. 

That doesn’t mean that we won’t be even better next season. But with NIL and the transfer portal, you can’t count on the current guys still being here. 

But we can trust in Ross Hodge to put together a competitive roster. Whoever might be on it…

  • Upvote 2
  • Pissed 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

And can someone please explain to me why Rubin would get another year of eligibility? 

He is a Year 4 senior and his first season was 2020-21. The COVID year was 2019-20. 

Why are athletes who weren’t playing that COVID year still getting extra years of eligibility?
And Rubin has played 14 games this season. Is he trying to get a medical redshirt? Hasn’t he played in too many games?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MeanGreenZen said:

The way college basketball is now, I wouldn’t count on any of these guys coming back. 

It used to be fun to look at a team like this and imagine next season when they are all healthy, but we could very easily be looking at an 8-man rotation next season that contains ZERO of our current guys.

Sadly true. I remember watching the end of the SMU game at home and realizing every guy on the floor finishing the game was not in a UNT jersey last year.

  • Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, HoosMeanGreen said:

Curious as to Hoo said it was in Denton? 

IMG_2651.jpeg

Curious as to what the above is and what it has to do with anything other than you were in South Carolina eating at Zaxby's on a Tuesday after the team had left town.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

And can someone please explain to me why Rubin would get another year of eligibility? 

He is a Year 4 senior and his first season was 2020-21. The COVID year was 2019-20. 

Why are athletes who weren’t playing that COVID year still getting extra years of eligibility?
And Rubin has played 14 games this season. Is he trying to get a medical redshirt? Hasn’t he played in too many games?

Covid  year was 20-21

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Curious as to what the above is and what it has to do with anything other than you were in South Carolina eating at Zaxby's on a Tuesday after the team had left town.

Get your income & credit score to a sufficient level and apply for a starter card.  You will notice something strange when the bill arrives - you’ll make a purchase on a Tuesday but it won’t post until Thursday. Sometimes Friday. 🤣🤣🤣
 

I don’t typically hang out in Charleston for the Zaxby’s. But you knew that. The tournament ended on Sunday the 19th, but I chose to enter the College of Charleston’s arena concession stand on the 20th and charge myself (UVa Honor Code in effect) as the building was vacant. Then nabbed some fries & Zax sauce the following day. 🤣🤣 What a trip!!! 

Not sure why you opted to “pile on” this one. I was questioned & provided proof. Now you want to attempt to discredit a fact. Would a photo make you a believer or will you accuse me of photoshopping? Rhetorical.

First it was living on Daddy’s dime & now a fake groupie.  Note I didn’t say fake fan because we all know Hoo attends games & Hoo does not. Cue the fake student jab next. I’ll let my dad know that you have requested the bill. 

Edited by HoosMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Puking Eagle 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, HoosMeanGreen said:

First it was living on Daddy’s dime & now a fake groupie.  Note I didn’t say fake fan because we all know Hoo attends games & Hoo does not. Cue the fake student jab next. I’ll let my dad know that you have requested the bill. 

See, Little Susie Who, you claimed you were a much better fan because you attend games, both on the road and at home.  I asked if you were a student, if you had a job, and if you were still on the parent's dime.  You essentially responded yes to all, and I replied that it must be nice not to have one responsibility in the world other than making grades.   Your life is a breeze, and I am sure the rest of us would do the same if we were afforded the same set up.  Unfortunately, I live 5 hours from Denton, have a full-time job, have two boys and a wife and other responsibilities that come with being an adult.  Every game I can attend is like a road game, gas money, place to stay, food to eat, etc... and my Mom and Dad aren't contributing a dime.  You have it easy right now.  If I were in your shoes, I would not rush to change my situation, would be appreciative of the situation I am in and would know better than to act like this all made me some kind of super fan.

 

Two, I know how credit card bills work.  My bills show the date of the transaction and I don't have to asked my dad for a copy of the bill.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, HoosMeanGreen said:

First it was living on Daddy’s dime & now a fake groupie.  Note I didn’t say fake fan because we all know Hoo attends games & Hoo does not. Cue the fake student jab next. I’ll let my dad know that you have requested the bill. 

Hoos your Daddy?

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/20/2024 at 12:03 PM, BigWillie said:

Sorry, I see how that read, I meant to say our remaining schedule.

Well if I had looked at our remaining schedule it would have been obvious what you meant, and I agree. Lets hope we can end on a positive note and make a run in the AAC tournament.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Tell a friend

    Love GoMeanGreen.com? Tell a friend!
  • What's going on Mean Green?

    1. 1

      SB at Memphis (4/19-21/24)

    2. 39

      The Athletic on DFW Football recruiting

    3. 39

      The Athletic on DFW Football recruiting

    4. 39

      The Athletic on DFW Football recruiting

  • Popular Now

  • Popular Contributors

  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      15,382
    • Most Online
      1,865

    Newest Member
    KeithSHU
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.