Scouting Report on The Mean Green

MeanGreen61

Posted by Cripple Pet Chicken on the SMU board. Pretty thorough report on this year's version of the Mean Green.

Last week someone asked for a scouting report on the Univ. of North Texas, and never let it be said that the CPC didnt give his fans what they want. Besides, this is one of the easiest scouting trips CPC can make. Not only is UNT just right up the road, but beginning this season, they're a Nike school too. CPC doesnt even have to sneak in (like last week at UNLV, but more on that story later) everybody knows me and I can wander around the gym anytime I want, they just think I'm there on business. Besides, their mascot is an Eagle. I'm a chicken. We're practically family. Its a beak thing.

The UNT players have several family ties to SMU, as well. Chris Davis, the teams star and the leading scorer in the Sun Belt last year, is the cousin of former Mustang Jeryl Sasser. Leonard Hopkins, (L-Hop) is the older brother of Bryan and Ryan. Center Justin Barnett is the son of SMU Ticket office manager Brett Barnett. So, last week the CPC made the quick flight up I-35 to Denton and stuck his beak into the Super Pit for a visit with his extended family. All that was missing was Sunday dinner.

Before we get into my personal observations, I should give you a little background on the Eagles. Two years ago they went 4-24. In the offseason they changed coaches and this past year they were 15-14, with impressive upset wins over TCU and New Mexico State. The one-year 11 game swing was one of the biggest in college basketball last season, and gave it UNT their first winning season since........ well, since before this chick was hatched. In an amazingly short time the Eagles have gone from a basketball laughing stock to a post-season contender, as they return 4 starters from last years team, and mix in a strong group of newcomers.

Wing-man Chris Davis was easily the teams best player, and is the early favorite to be this years Sun Belt MVP. Thats no small thing, considering that it puts him ahead of Western Kentucky's Marcus Walker, a guaranteed lottery pick in next years NBA draft. Davis is a 6'5' shooting guard who is the teams main gunner, but does a bit of everything else as well, he was in the top 3 of most statistical categories last season for the Eagles. Davis can score inside or out, and he is definitely the go-to man at crunch time.

The rest of UNT's starting lineup will also be back, with forwards Jermaine Green and Will Smith in the frontcourt, and senior Lee Green back at the point. Unjel Masters was a part time starter last year at center, but from what I've seen Barnett is clearly outplaying him at this stage, and is the most likely candidate to start in the post. Unjel is a local kid that I've been watching for years, because he has a huge body, (6'10', 260) but thats all he's got. He didnt have much offensive game in high school, and I frankly dont see him making any progress. Barnett is a little lighter, but he's quicker, and has better moves in the low post. Barnett sat out all of last season with an injury, but I wont be surprised if he is in the starting lineup when the season starts.

Green and Smith were solid at forward last year. The taller and thinner Green (6'8' but barely 200 pounds when soaking wet) showed a knack for scoring inside, and a soft touch on his jumper, but he gets pushed around a bit. He was 2nd on the team in points per game, behind Davis. Smith is stronger and a better defender and rebounder, but doesnt have Greens scoring touch. Both of them, though, are going to have to fight to keep their position in the lineup, because JC transfer Michael DeGrate is going to move someone out. My guess is that he will replace Smith, but its too early to really say.

DeGrate started his career at Baylor, then left after just one season under Dave Bliss, then spent last year at McLennan JC. He's as strong or stronger than Smith, and has twice the scoring potential. These 5 could produce an interesting rotation in the frontcourt, where UNT can match a scorer (Green, DeGrate) with a banger (Smith, Masters) at all times, resting one pair while playing the other. That way they keep a scorer on the court at all times, and keep their bangers from getting too deep into foul trouble. If incoming freshman Sam Byrd, from Alief Elsik, had passed his summer school classes, the Mean Green would have been even deeper and stronger in the frontcourt, but the 6'10' Byrd seems to be allergic to his text books. The UNT folks are hoping he ccan regain his eligibility by 2nd semester, but CPC isnt holding his breath.

The wild card in the frontcourt is going to be freshman forward Ty Thomas. Thomas is a 6'6' small forward who could probably play shooting guard as well. From what CPC has seen, this kid is for real. In their pickup games Thomas is going head to head with Davis and playing him almost dead even. He can shoot, drive, pass, rebound, the whole package. Everyone is saying he's practically a clone of Davis, the Eagles best player. Thomas wasnt that highly recruited, and his high school stats werent that impressive, but he looks phenomenal right now. These are just pickup games, and things may change when the practices become more organized and Thomas has to learn the offensive and defensive systems, but right now it looks like he has the talent to be a star.

If Thomas does start at 3, leaving Davis at the shooting guard, UNT will be pretty deep on the wings, as well. Leonard Hopkins, older brother of Bryan and Ryan, will be the back-up at shooting guard again, where he averaged more than 11 points a game last year, while coming off the bench. Once upon a time L-Hop was considered to be just as big a recruit as Bryan, possible with more potential, because he is taller (6'3'.) After his sophomore year he was already considered one of the top guard prospects in the country. In the summer after his sophomore year, though, Leonard suffered a real horrible injury, a broken leg so severe that he would never play basketball in high scchool again. The guy who would have been recruited by every school in the country wound up with just one scholarship offer, to UNT. His freshman year at North Texas he still wasnt completely healed, so he was redshirted.

After being out of basketball for 3 years, Leonard came back strong last season, where he was 3rd on the team in points, while coming off the bench to backup Davis. Its been a long road back, and Leonard may never be the star that he once had the potential to become, but he is finally able to play again, and play very well. Leonard gives UNT a very capable backup for their star, Davis, and he also gives them the option of moving Davis to the 3, and going with a smaller, quicker lineup. Next season, after Davis graduates, he will probably step up into the starters role, but for now he makes an excellent insurance ploicy if Davis ever gets injured, or in foul trouble.

So, UNT has decent size, depth, and a fair bit of talent. They are also a very experienced team, with most of their squad back intact from last year, and 3 seniors in the starting 5. They play a tough non-conference schedule that includes local rivals SMU, TCU, and Baylor as well as nationally known programs like Indiana, Auburn, and Colorado. No one in the Sun Belt is going to unseat Western Kentucky this year, but with New Mexico State expected to have a down year (eligibility problems) The Eagles could finish as high as 2nd in their conference, and with 2 OOC wins over the more notable teams, they should be in line for an NIT bid.

One last note, do NOT foul Davis, Hopkins, Green, or Green. (yeesh, 2 guys named Green, starting for the Mean Green, I think I'm going to get dizzy) They are all very good free throw shooters. I think all of them shot close to or over 80% last year, and they look pretty automatic at the line now.

• 2 weeks later...

Uh...Rick, you mad e Freudian slip.  I hope that we play JOHNNY ball this coming season.  Johnny Jones is the head coach.

I agree with CPC's analysis and I hope that he will return often.

Thats been bothering me too, but I was just gonna let it go. Nonetheless, I can't wait till JJ puts this all together, he is an absolute steal.

Oops, Marcus Walker plays defensive end for the SMU football team. Not to be confused with Chris Marcus of Western Kentucky. Dont know how that happened, must have been a brain spasm. ph34r.gif

Let that be a lesson to us all, fellas. Always wear your oxygen mask when you're flying at high altitudes, that thin air will mess with your brain.

I didnt know my post wound up over here, I'll have to come back and visit again later.

Oops,  Marcus Walker plays defensive end for the SMU football team.  Not to be confused with Chris Marcus of Western Kentucky.  Dont know how that happened, must have been a brain spasm. ph34r.gif

Let that be a lesson to us all, fellas.  Always wear your oxygen mask when you're flying at high altitudes, that thin air will mess with your brain.

I didnt know my post wound up over here, I'll have to come back and visit again later.

No problem CPC, you report was very thorough and accurate. I hope we can get a rundown of an opponent anytime we have similar foes.