Why is RV’s picture no longer on the UNT NIL site

1 hour ago, Dannymacfan said:

That's not fair.  The man built Apogee and he and Dan won a bowl game in front of the biggest crowd yet.  He did a lot of good things.

It's 100% fair because its true. I'd say he's on the mount Rushmore of most failures under hid belt at his time at unt.

Edited by p_phelps
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • RV 1
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 7

2 hours ago, p_phelps said:

It's 100% fair because its true. I'd say he's on the mount Rushmore of most failures under hid belt at his time at unt.

RV gets a pass.  He and Dr. Pohl secured the old golf course and Liberty Chr. property for Athletic's facilities.

However, on the NT Mount Rushmore of Failure you can include Bob Tyler, Todd Dodge (football), Vic Trilli, Tommy Newman, Tony Benford, and Shanice Stephens (basketball).

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

56 minutes ago, NT80 said:

RV gets a pass.  He and Dr. Pohl secured the old golf course and Liberty Chr. property for Athletic's facilities.

However, on the NT Mount Rushmore of Failure you can include Bob Tyler (football), Vic Trilli, Tommy Newman, and Shanice Stephens (basketball).

Craig Helwig. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

RV had nothing to do with it. The plan was made before RV was even hired. 

Are you sure?   Architectural plans were made by RV for the renovation and expansion of Fouts (a second time) and for turning a warehouse by Fouts into the new Athletic Center.  Drawings are on the internet somewhere.  Before they were finalized the golf course became available.  But RV was there the whole time.

• Upvote 5
  • RV 1

13 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Are you sure?   Architectural plans were made by RV for the renovation and expansion of Fouts (a second time) and for turning a warehouse by Fouts into the new Athletic Center.  Drawings are on the internet somewhere.  Before they were finalized the golf course became available.  But RV was there the whole time.

It was my understanding it was all in the works well before Rick was hired. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • RV 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, Dannymacfan said:

That's not fair.  The man built Apogee and he and Dan won a bowl game in front of the biggest crowd yet.  He did a lot of good things.

What makes you believe this, and what do we need to unpack for you to realize it is incorrect?

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

12 hours ago, greenminer said:

What makes you believe this, and what do we need to unpack for you to realize it is incorrect?

Choosing a successful athletic coach appears to be like throwing spitballs on a wall. Just look at the annual turnover. Regarding Apogee, R.V. and C. Dan got it done. You may disparage his hiring record but until his arrival the only dedicated athletic building constructed after Fouts Field was a 3,000 sq. ft. athletic facility Fry had built that still sits in the parking lot adjacent to the Super Pit.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

16 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

RV oversaw the Todd Dodge/staff hire and Benford. I know a lot of people were alienated by him during my time at UNT. 

RV was responsible for the athletic village purchase as well as the building of Apogee.  He got millions from Apogee for the naming rights.  OK, not as much as he bartered for but still a significant amount.  

RV was forced to operate from a much smaller budget than Wren and now Jared.  I was shocked at the Dodge hire not working.  He was the premier of the Texas high school coaches.  I didn't realize how limited they had made the pool for assistant coaches, virtually forcing him to bring much of his high school staff with him.  Benford hadn't been a college head coach (to my knowledge) and his situation just bombed.  He took a chance on what he could afford.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Thanks 1
  • RV 1

7 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

RV was responsible for the athletic village purchase as well as the building of Apogee.  He got millions from Apogee for the naming rights.  OK, not as much as he bartered for but still a significant amount.  

There seems to be conflicting information on this thread about what he did and didn't do. I'm not going to praise or bash his character. I have never met the guy. Most of what I have heard from was from former athletes but I'm not going to post that on here. 

• Upvote 1