Breaking News: North Texas is Hiring Luke Calcatera as New Men Golf Coach

Wait and see hire.

NT actually had a higher ranking than N. Alabama on Golfstat.

Yes, he should be able to get much better players at NT than N. Alabama, but not an apparent big upgrade.  However, Moseley has my trust and I look forward to a much better men's golf team.  

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2

Also hope that Mosely saw something that isn't obvious from the base. <it could work out, but it might also not get NT to where it ought to be (making NCAA regionals about every other year is the measuring stick I would say). Yes he improved his program and did well compared to his conference brethren, but in golf that is not as meaningful as in other sports, as you generally are not competing with your conference mates all that often compared to other sports.

• Oh Boy! 1

I was just wondering if you guys took the time to check out his background and what he is doing at a school that is transitioning up. It seems we have people that want to take shots and coaches and players that want to be here. It gets so frustrating that people here are quick to go all doom and gloom. 

On 6/7/2023 at 11:13 AM, GrandGreen said:

Wait and see hire.

NT actually had a higher ranking than N. Alabama on Golfstat.

Yes, he should be able to get much better players at NT than N. Alabama, but not an apparent big upgrade.  However, Moseley has my trust and I look forward to a much better men's golf team.  

20 hours ago, outoftown said:

Also hope that Mosely saw something that isn't obvious from the base. <it could work out, but it might also not get NT to where it ought to be (making NCAA regionals about every other year is the measuring stick I would say). Yes he improved his program and did well compared to his conference brethren, but in golf that is not as meaningful as in other sports, as you generally are not competing with your conference mates all that often compared to other sports.

• Upvote 1

Love this hire, he just wins at the 2 levels he has been at, so with more resources at UNT versus UNA and ATU, reason to believe he will be just as successful. 

Look at Grant's background before UNT, very similar and he fared quite well. 

I am looking forward to seeing who they hire for Tennis.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I was just wondering if you guys took the time to check out his background and what he is doing at a school that is transitioning up. It seems we have people that want to take shots and coaches and players that want to be here. It gets so frustrating that people here are quick to go all doom and gloom. 

No I did absolutely no research; I just knew golfstat rankings for every team.  You are replying to my quote, what gloom and doom are you referring to?  The part I said it is not an apparent upgrade and a "wait and see hire."

What to you know about his history that refutes that statement?  Other than NT fired the previous coach and hired him.  Didn't work that well with a great number of past NT head coaches; Dodge, Stephens, Benford, Tyler, and many others. 

I was expecting a bigger name with a better history, but also stated that I have faith in Mosley's decision which is based on a lot more research than any fan has.  

It was an opinion not an indictment. 

On 6/9/2023 at 5:36 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

I did that for a very short moment. But I spent more time looking at the golfstat rankings. I trust those stats more than any narrative people have.

Also -like the other poster you quoted-  I also did not say it could not work. It might. But I call em as i see em, and to me it is not a home run that it will.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1